Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Harrow posted:

Okay, just did a rough count: if you remove all the Monk's Blessing and Test of Strength shrines, there would be 70 shrines. There are enough unique ways to handle Tests of Strength that I think adding four of them back in would be fine (one for the Kakariko combat tutorial, and one each for pillars, Magnesis, and Cryonis), bringing us up to 74.

There are 29 Monk's Blessing shrines. For the most part, all of those could just be replaced by a chest containing a spirit orb that transforms into a fast travel pad after you open it or something like that. That gets us up to 103 total spirit orbs. Come up with like one new shrine or one new type of Test of Strength (or, hell, just make a Super Test of Strength or something) and you're up to 104 total, which is exactly enough to get as many hearts and stamina wheels as you can in the current game if you included a free stamina vessel with the heart container you get in each main dungeon. And I really don't think I'd miss 16 fast travel points.

You could do those things. But why would that be an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah I like the game as it is. Hopefully they like everyone's mail-in ideas for patch notes though.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Sometimes you'll find caves of nodes along beaches and get lots of gems in there. A good recommendation earlier in the thread was to hunt animals in the Hebra mountains, cook meats in stacks of 5, and sell that. No money problems ever after I started selling food. Don't know if you're hoarding every item like a madman, but cooking and selling ingredients is a good way to make a quick buck if you're drowning in stacks of 90+ meat like I was. 99% of it was from self defense too, wolves are annoying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

It cuts out the repetitive combat trials and removes the loading screens from the blessing shrines. That's an unambiguous upgrade if you ask me. I could be a lot harsher but frankly I think blessing and combat trial shrines are a huge cop out and often a waste of time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Waltzing Along posted:

I need about 5k. Wandering around Death Mountain looking for nodes is working, but feels slow. Any recommendations for good areas or is it just a crapshoot?

Are you married to mining? Cause you can kill a ton of Rhinos/Elk on the Tabantha Tundra for high quality meat that sells for 500 for a full cooked set pretty easily with a horse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

It cuts out the repetitive combat trials and removes the loading screens from the blessing shrines. That's an unambiguous upgrade if you ask me. I could be a lot harsher but frankly I think blessing and combat trial shrines are a huge cop out and often a waste of time.

Blessing shrines are fine because you usually need to do something interesting to reach them in the first place, but I agree that there are too many "fight the eyeball robot" shrines.

Astro7x posted:

Tests of Strength are cool, because the guardians regenerate after the blood moon and you can get their weapons again.

Oh that's neat. By the time you can reliably explode the Major-level ones you're usually drowning in great weapons anyway, though.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Tests of Strength are cool, because the guardians regenerate after the blood moon and you can get their weapons again.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Harrow posted:

Cool, I'm glad you're here doing this for everyone

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Blessing shrines are fine because you usually need to do something interesting to reach them in the first place, but I agree that there are too many "fight the eyeball robot" shrines.

Yeah, I definitely don't mind the concept of blessings. You almost always have to do a puzzle outside the shrine to get in. That's actually great, because it gives you little challenges outside of the shrine tile set and format. So I really, really don't want to get rid of the overworld component of those. I mostly just think that there's no reason to put the player through the loading screens to get in and out of the shrine to get the spirit orb when they could just have it appear on a fast travel platform and have functionally the same effect without wasting a couple minutes.

There's definitely room for some combat trials. They have a few unique types, usually based on what you use for cover (pillars, Cryonis blocks, or metal blocks you raise with Magnesis). One of each would be fine (plus the tutorial one in Kakariko), and still give the player a place to go farm for Guardian weapons. Add another one where you fight two Guardians at the same time maybe? That might be interesting.

Novum posted:

Cool, I'm glad you're here doing this for everyone

Hey, sorry if talking about how the game could be better bothers you. Maybe put me on ignore I guess, I'm frankly surprised most people don't :shrug:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 31, 2017

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Waltzing Along posted:

I need about 5k. Wandering around Death Mountain looking for nodes is working, but feels slow. Any recommendations for good areas or is it just a crapshoot?

Snowbowling is easy with the trick.

5 cooked Gourmet/Prime meat sells for decent scratch.

3x/5x bomb arrow Mt. Lanaryu when it glows is good too.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Can't believe they fixed the framerate issue. WONTFIX on consoles have sullied me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I played The Last Guardian so this ran like a dream in comparison.

Oh wait, yeah I played that too. TLG had much worse performance your right.

And yeah. it's mostly the freezes after killing a Moblin. I hope they fix that because it's pretty terrible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

And yeah. it's mostly the freezes after killing a Moblin. I hope they fix that because it's pretty terrible.

Does that happen on Switch? I played on Wii U and ran into it a couple of times but I'm not sure if I've seen anyone talk about it on Switch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm on Wii U as well.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

Does that happen on Switch? I played on Wii U and ran into it a couple of times but I'm not sure if I've seen anyone talk about it on Switch.

Yes, it does. I have the Switch version and it occasionally does that when fighting moblins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never noticed and feel like I've ganked a ton of moblins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

parallelodad posted:

It's really rare, at least on Wii U. I played the game for like 80 hours and killed tons of moblins and it happened twice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

parallelodad posted:

It happens more often when you whack them with a large weapon. There have been times when the hitch was so long I was afraid my game crashed, shortly before the Moblin went flying in a big tangle of limbs.

The game never actually did crash once, though, which I find really impressive given its scope and how much it tried to render at once.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I can confirm it's a thing on the switch but it's VERY rare. I can remember like 4-5 times total out of 120 hours of playtime. In fact when it happened I was convinced the game was crashing but it always recovered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It happens more often when you whack them with a large weapon. There have been times when the hitch was so long I was afraid my game crashed, shortly before the Moblin went flying in a big tangle of limbs.

The game never actually did crash once, though, which I find really impressive given its scope and how much it tried to render at once.

Yeah, I never had a single crash or a single serious bug, which is ridiculously impressive.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Harrow posted:

I've had the Screen do a total freeze for 1-3 seconds playing on Switch. Had it happen both times with Moblins, and both time I was doing quick Frost Weapon, Fire Weapon, Electric Weapon switches to murder them real quick.
I think there were too many effects going off, then the Moblin dying effect just broke it.
Really freaked me out both times.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The combat shrines are fine IMO, other than the fact that minor and modest are a joke once you get to ~60 shrines. It's sort of the result of assuming that not everyone is going to scour every square inch of the map, and I don't see what they could change to deal with it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you taken a pic of the gold sparkly extra-precious ore to track? Speeds the money-mining up a bit. Also meat-selling, as suggested.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Harrow posted:

It's really rare, at least on Wii U. I played the game for like 80 hours and killed tons of moblins and it happened twice.

It seems to happen when they fall down stairs for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had one five second freeze in this game but it was from gliding across basically an entire section of the map with the wind at my back so I figured it must have been loading trying to catch up.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Going up Death Mountain, there were a bunch of Moblins and every time I knocked one down (and it ragdolled down the mountain) there would be an abrupt freeze for 1-2 seconds. It only happens with Moblins so I knew that going in but it's jarring nonetheless.

I haven't played since the patch hit so I'll be curious if they did something about that.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

the shrine after the bird kids sure does remind me of Snake Eater.

:same:
I started singing the song. Badly, but still.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FooF posted:

Going up Death Mountain, there were a bunch of Moblins and every time I knocked one down (and it ragdolled down the mountain) there would be an abrupt freeze for 1-2 seconds. It only happens with Moblins so I knew that going in but it's jarring nonetheless.

I haven't played since the patch hit so I'll be curious if they did something about that.

Oh by the time I was at death mountain anytime I saw a Moblin I'd just sneak by with the help of a certain item, so I've never seen that happen.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One interesting thing they could have done (or still could in Hard Mode) with the Tests of Strength is have some of them involve fighting multiple enemies at once. It takes different skills and tactics to manage groups of enemies as opposed to just fighting one at a time. Program the AI so they actually fight together and effectively support each other (IE; one of them lays down covering fire while another one moves to flank you, etc) and you've got a real challenge on your hands.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't try and add really videogamey stuff like 'last 5 minutes with two guardians in this maze' or 'move this item from one end to the other without it being destroyed'

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the single duel, but instead of three different difficulty levels, just go crazy and have fifteen and keep introducing new moves and defenses from them.

Like you cryonis to block their spin attack and they just go around.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

well why not posted:

I'm surprised they didn't try and add really videogamey stuff like 'last 5 minutes with two guardians in this maze' or 'move this item from one end to the other without it being destroyed'

The latter was pretty much how a certain side quest in/near Gerudo town worked

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HELLO FELLOW LIZALFOS! Don't mind me, just taking this thing across your base OH poo poo A MOBLIN.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you taken a pic of the gold sparkly extra-precious ore to track? Speeds the money-mining up a bit. Also meat-selling, as suggested.

Didn't even think to do that. Hadn't upgraded the sensor or seen the special ore.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The latter was pretty much how a certain side quest in/near Gerudo town worked

There's a shrine and a Zora sidequest that have you protecting items too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

On that Zora side quest I don't recall it actually needing protection, I just had to blast some fences out of the way so it could continue. There were some octoroks but they always popped up 50 feet ahead facing away from me and the macguffin

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Colorspray posted:

Sometimes you'll find caves of nodes along beaches and get lots of gems in there. A good recommendation earlier in the thread was to hunt animals in the Hebra mountains, cook meats in stacks of 5, and sell that. No money problems ever after I started selling food. Don't know if you're hoarding every item like a madman, but cooking and selling ingredients is a good way to make a quick buck if you're drowning in stacks of 90+ meat like I was. 99% of it was from self defense too, wolves are annoying.

I did the snow bowling for like a solid hour and made about 15,000 rupees, just so I could get some armor set. Then I found out one of the great fairies required 10,000 rupees and did it again to unlock that. I haven't really sold anything though, been holding onto gems and monster parts for upgrades, and probably sitting on a ton of meat and stuff thanks to amiibo drops.

I guess I could have farmed Stone Taluses, but I didn't want to bother with it... for some reason, I'd rather upgrade my gear, even if I don't use it.

For Snow Bowling, I found that if I target the dude, stand directly behind him, tap down twice to back up, then throw the snowball... it's an instant strike like 95% of the time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I thinking I missed snow bowling completely. What is it?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

I guess because the Combat Shrines are dull and boring after you realize they're basically all the same. I wish there were shrines were you were robbed of your weapons and forced to flee/sneak/fight with your bombs and magnesis. I also wish there was Shrines that took you to rooms that were remakes of places from Zelda games of the past in the BOTW art style and you had to solve old school puzzles or fight classic enemies and bosses and maybe incorporate the new abilities you have in BOTW to complete said shrines. That would have been tits.

After about the third or so combat shrine I realized that they weren't going to change at all, "Oh great this one has an extra arm and it's a spear instead of a shield. I wonder how I'll have to tackle this differe... oh, it's all the same battle, 30 times over."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

I thinking I missed snow bowling completely. What is it?

You throw a snowball down a hill and it builds in size and rolls into a set of pins, which, if you knock all of them down the first go you get 300 rupees.