Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Super basic stuff that's so obvious people forget it:

Label axes, always, and make sure they have units.

If you have multiple line graphs or scatter plots on one plot, be sure that they are distinct in at least two ways, one of which in case it's printed in black and white. Different shapes + different line patterns or thicknesses, for example. This also covers your rear end with colorblind people.

Know what you're trying to say, and which graph is the one that says it in the least time. Lines for trends, bars for independent "buckets" of information, etc.

On that note, make sure it's clear in general. Clear, readable font in an appropriate size, no goofy graphics, line widths and patterns the give the data structure but don't distract from the data itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Tree Goat posted:

6) Failing to follow the conventions of a particular chart genre
Often times, graphic designers will make "pseudo-charts" - stuff that looks like a chart, because chart = sciency = convincing.
http://www.ask-force.org/web/Discourse/Tal-Blinded-with-Science-Trivial-2014.pdf

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this breaks a few rules

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Count Roland posted:

That this can show up as a physical thing in the world worries me greatly.

Many years ago, when I was a young student, our maths teacher was trying to explain the idea that some values are relative to other.

For instance, if you add 20 to a set of 60 you increase the size of that set by a third. But if you then take 20 away from that enlarged set (80) you decrease it by a quarter.

Simple stuff, but I think we ended up spending most of a week on it before the teacher gave up in disgust. Seriously, it was like the scene in the Simpsons where they go into witness relocation and Homer just cannot get his head around being Homer Thompson.

The usual suspects would finally seem to understand the principle, but as soon as we tried it with a different set of numbers, we'd be right back where we started with, "How can that number be one half here and then one third there when it's the same number?"

:ughh:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Mar 30, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Many years ago, when I was a young student, our maths teacher was trying to explain the idea that some values are relative to other.

For instance, if you add 20 to a set of 60 you increase the size of that set by a third. But if you then take 20 away from that enlarged set (80) you decrease it by a quarter.

Simple stuff, but I think we ended up spending most of a week on it before the teacher gave up in disgust. Seriously, it was like the scene in the Simpsons where they go into witness relocation and Homer just cannot get his head around being Homer Thompson.

The usual suspects would finally seem to understand the principle, but as soon as we tried it with a different set of numbers, we'd be right back where we started with, "How can that number be one half here and then one third there when it's the same number?"

:ughh:

Honestly I understand this concept and I still screw up all the time when trying to do the math in my head quickly. It's one of those things that people seem to be very poorly wired to handle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I understand this concept and I still screw up all the time when trying to do the math in my head quickly. It's one of those things that people seem to be very poorly wired to handle.

Yeah. Understanding the concept but screwing up the application is still ok because I understand I'm wrong. But then there's people who you know just don't get it and won't bother trying to get it, they either just accept whats said or protest it if it isn't convenient for them and then you need to spend 15 minutes arguing with them because they can't get a really simple core concept without using a ream of butchers paper and a packet of crayons.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The best one is when you show someone how a 50% increase then a 40% decrease actually gives a net decrease of 10%.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hah, that's really counter intuitive when written but yeah makes sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
People are really bad at percentages.

Have you ever noticed that so‐called four‐function calculators have “%” keys?

Those are for people who cannot remember how to move a decimal point and multiply.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes. I know this, but it means I usually have to double check my work when using numbers like this because about half the time I'll gently caress it up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

government get out reeeeeeeee

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Pretty great graph. Gotta love the lil mark on the boot to let you know they are taking about evil communists.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Whybird posted:

The best one is when you show someone how a 50% increase then a 40% decrease actually gives a net decrease of 10%.

I like this one.

Maths tricks are fun and good.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Platystemon posted:

People are really bad at percentages.

Have you ever noticed that so‐called four‐function calculators have “%” keys?

Those are for people who cannot remember how to move a decimal point and multiply.

I found it convenient, one button that both moves the decimal point and multiplies.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I love that they seem to think that this paints them in any kind of good light? Like "yes, we do go full fascist when threatened, WHAT?!"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

government get out reeeeeeeee

I'm probably outing myself as super behind the times or something here, but where does this “reeeeeee“ thing come from? Because the only thing I can think of are those dudes with bombs for a head in serious sam

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

System Metternich posted:

I'm probably outing myself as super behind the times or something here, but where does this “reeeeeee“ thing come from? Because the only thing I can think of are those dudes with bombs for a head in serious sam
It is supposed to represent croaking of an angry frog. Consequently, the legs of this thing grow from Pepe memes on 4chan.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qwU1LQZA5g
As you can see from comments, it became popular on 4chan.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I always thought it was from that cartoon where a kid got griefed on CS and then shot up his school.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Whiz Palace posted:

I always thought it was from that cartoon where a kid got griefed on CS and then shot up his school.
No, it's literally the video steinrokkan posted.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

System Metternich posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chitin posted:

I love that they seem to think that this paints them in any kind of good light? Like "yes, we do go full fascist when threatened, WHAT?!"

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Chitin posted:

the psychopath who posted this image on Reddit posted:

No leftist is innocent and hence not murder, it's self defence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/61o8q6/political_compass/

e: What the gently caress. This is a violent corner of Reddit I didn’t know about.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
How does one report an entire subreddit? Because there are some pretty lovely hatemongers infesting that place.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Squidster posted:

How does one report an entire subreddit? Because there are some pretty lovely hatemongers infesting that place.

The news media? :v: If it worked once...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://youtu.be/7Jm_eUQSYAk

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Platystemon posted:

e: What the gently caress. This is a violent corner of Reddit I didn’t know about.

Can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread, but while stuff like that is allowed, anarchist and communist subreddits are being warned for saying "bash the fash" because that's inciting violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reddit seems like it must be a great resource for the FBI and NSA and so on. It turns out you don't need to secretly monitor people's private conversations at all - they're perfectly willing to express their horrible violent beliefs in a big public forum.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Reddit seems like it must be a great resource for the FBI and NSA and so on. It turns out you don't need to secretly monitor people's private conversations at all - they're perfectly willing to express their horrible violent beliefs in a big public forum.

How many of the posters are agents who realised they can do undercover work from the comfort of their own homes?

"Yes sir, currently infiltrating a group inciting racial attacks on the west coast. Gotta go, they're starting to get suspicious, I'll talk to you in a week."
*puts fluffy pink slippers onto the coffee table and sinks deeper into the couch while idling scrolling through meme posts*

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
speaking of which, the dataviz subreddit's april fools joke this year is to temporarily make it a shitposting subreddit, here are some highlights so far

to reiterate,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

I PMed the admins immediately. I normally wouldn’t bother, but the stickied post targeting specific Reddit users might be too much even for them.

They can also be reached at contact@reddit.com. You might have better results with Anderson Cooper’s address, of course.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Always thought it was supposed to be this little guy: https://youtu.be/cBkWhkAZ9ds

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, aside from intense media pressure, reddit will also come down on a subreddit if the mods encourage doxxing. That's what got /r/fatpeoplehate and /r/altright shut down.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Squidster posted:

If you want anything to actually get done? In an article on a major news site.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I live on another continent & I've twice in my life called the FBI hotline cause I saw a very bad thing online. Both times were reddit.

I don't go on reddit no more, but I hope the feds do.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

literally 5 posts ago...

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Powaqoatse posted:

I live on another continent & I've twice in my life called the FBI hotline cause I saw a very bad thing online. Both times were reddit.

I don't go on reddit no more, but I hope the feds do.

I just browse some of the default subs and a few of the ones about animals being loving lit son. You guys should try not seeking very bad things and instead have a good time looking at amusing pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Found in the Trump thread