Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Stupid question time: How does car insurance work in England? When you buy a car, are you supposed to call a company and provide a VIN-type number? Or do you hold your right hand on The Origin Of Species and swear on your honor as a Queen Scout that this is definitely a Ferrari and not a tarted up Mini?

It's not a stupid question as I don't quite understand what happened here:

You call your insurance company and give them your numberplate number, which is tied to your VIN, so they know exactly what you have.

If you were claiming on your own policy, they'd pay out that they think a lovely, old MR2 is worth (assuming they don't invalidate your policy for having undeclared modifications).

I guess in this case, he claimed against the other driver's policy and claimed that the car was worth £30k and they said 'sure', whilst calling up their fraud dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Stupid question time: How does car insurance work in England? When you buy a car, are you supposed to call a company and provide a VIN-type number? Or do you hold your right hand on The Origin Of Species and swear on your honor as a Queen Scout that this is definitely a Ferrari and not a tarted up Mini?

Since plates are tied to the car in the UK I'd imagine that when the insurer looks it up it'll show up as a Mini. Then you'd report all the alterations to the car so that they can adjust the insurance. If you don't they can say that they don't cover it, or worse invalidate the insurance. Especially if it's performance mods. In theory, even something trivial as bigger / smaller rims needs to be reported.

Edit: Too slow.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Since he was claiming against a 3rd parties insurance they couldn't not pay because it is modified. It is not even the amount that he asked for that is the issue. The problem is that they were racing and crashed but then claimed the driver of the rental car hit the kit car while parked. That is the fraudulent part not the price. However the money involved probably tipped them off that something was not right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had no idea Ferrari kits for other cars were a thing. That's hilarious and sad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There was a 355 MR2 kit parked up in town last summer, it actually looked pretty decent and had those 3SDM rims which look like the old Testarossa 5 spoke rims. I've definitely seen worse kits but I'm still not sure why you'd bother.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Since he was claiming against a 3rd parties insurance they couldn't not pay because it is modified. It is not even the amount that he asked for that is the issue. The problem is that they were racing and crashed but then claimed the driver of the rental car hit the kit car while parked. That is the fraudulent part not the price. However the money involved probably tipped them off that something was not right.
But if he made a claim on his own insurance, they would laugh and say it's a lovely MR2 worth £1000 or whatever. . . By using the hire car (I assume that is just their word for rental, not something special?) the rental company would have to do research to see if it actually was a vehicle worth £30,000. The 3rd party insurance would probably still look up the plates tied to the vin to verify, but if he didn't ask for a big wad of cash, it might have gone under the radar, asking for a lot of cash raised flags to get them into even more trouble.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Repo Man posted:

They made it the law here in California, and still a remarkably high percentage of people refuse to do it. Too distracted by texting to remember I suppose.

It was raining when I left for work this morning and it took me about 5 minutes to realize my lights weren't on. It's not distraction, it's just that people are so used to their lights coming on automatically, so when it rains during the day and it's not quite dark enough to trigger them, you don't think about it until you see some invisible grey suv rear end in a top hat in your mirror without his lights on then you look at your dash and realize yours aren't on either.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

iospace posted:

Every. loving. rainy. day.

THESE. FUCKHEADS.

DON'T. TURN. ON. THEIR. LIGHTS.

Fog here, this morning, maybe 1.5 blocks visibility (that's where I could make out headlights/traffic lights up ahead, anyway).

Lights? 80% off/parking-only.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just saw, for the first time in my life, someone taking advantage of those 'minimum speed 40, max speed 65' signs. The icing on the cake is that the bridge where I saw this guy has everyone speeding constantly and it is massively long and tall. When some texting idiot hits that minivan everyone involved is straight hosed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Ah, that's not the con. He's not saying it's a real one.

The con is he and his mate were being twats and hit each other while clearing racing/titting about. As his mate was in a hire car, with an insurance indemnity policy of some kind in place, they pretended not to know each other, and said his mate crashed into the Fauxrari while it was parked - thus getting a payout without actually affecting either of their own insurance policies plus, as Spog says,insurance companies are less inclined to fight hard on a claim when it's a third party that their client hit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Trucker thread seems to be dead now, so have this

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just had a run-in with a couple driving "his & her's" matching silver mid-2000s Lexus sedans (they put stick-on letters literally spelling "his" and "her's" on the trunk lids :commissar:) - first encounter was the "her's" half of the relationship nearly pulling out in front of me in a traffic circle because she was too busy talking on the phone. Then the guy was driving slowly so she could catch up so I passed him, and then while also talking on the phone nearly rear-ended me while stopped at a light. I mimed talking on a phone and gave him the finger, his response was to fly around me, squeeze into the gap between me and the next car and try to brake check me, but I saw it coming a mile away and was almost stopped by the time he slammed on his brakes.

I just hope they take each other out before killing or injuring someone else.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I never give people the finger. At most I'll give a thumbs up. I drive a lot by my neighborhood, park on the street, and I'm scared of someday a road user enemy that I've made will find my car on the street and key it. :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Michael Scott posted:

I never give people the finger. At most I'll give a thumbs up. I drive a lot by my neighborhood, park on the street, and I'm scared of someday a road user enemy that I've made will find my car on the street and key it. :(

Seems to go in spurts for me. I'll go nine months with relatively happy driving and everyone getting along. Then there will be a period where I'll have to deal with assholes all around me for three months that are riding my rear end or honking because I decide not to do a kamikaze dive pulling into the street when I can wait 2 more seconds for the few cars to clear. The latter gets the finger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Michael Scott posted:

My male friend used to blow kisses at male drivers he really wanted to annoy.

He'd get a much stronger reaction than if he gave them the finger.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I had a buddy who would do a mocking baby-crying mime at people who would get mad at him in traffic and it was goddamn hilarious. Sort of putting your fists up to your face like your wringing away tears and making a crying sob face. He drove like an rear end in a top hat so he got to use it a lot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

My male friend used to blow kisses at male drivers he really wanted to annoy.

He'd get a much stronger reaction than if he gave them the finger.
He might even get lucky, so it's a win all round really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smiling and waving works a treat too.

But usually I'm the offended one and not the offendee so middle fingers is the go to.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

theres a will theres moe posted:

I had a buddy who would do a mocking baby-crying mime at people who would get mad at him in traffic and it was goddamn hilarious. Sort of putting your fists up to your face like your wringing away tears and making a crying sob face. He drove like an rear end in a top hat so he got to use it a lot.

Hahaha, I do that to people who give me the finger. It enrages them for the most part. If I pass you in the right lane because you're doing 60mph with no other traffic around I don't see how that warrants me getting the finger but I'll take it I guess and they'll get fake crying baby face and lose their poo poo. Win/win.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Last few posts impel me to tell the story:

Many many years ago, driving home from work on a Sunday at 6 AM in my 1980 GMC cargo van (a story in and of itself), my carpool buddy and I come up behind a blue Toyota truck and beside the truck in the left lane is a pink Caddy. The area is hilly, with guardrails on one side, jersey wall on the other, the speed limit is 65 and truck and caddy are side-by-side holding a steady 53.76 mph. I move over behind the Caddy and give a couple of headlight flashes. Nothing. No reaction, no sign of intelligence. I sit there for half a mile, then shift back behind the Toyota, flash the lights, same result. After a mile of this, I try the Cad again. No joy. A minute or two later, I go back to the right lane and fume for a while and then the highway levels out and the shoulder is good and wide. My buddy says, "Take 'em on the right!"

I don't even hesitate and blast by hammer down. The Toyota driver is leaning on the horn and shaking a fist, I'm leaning out the window flipping him off and screaming gently caress YOU! I get up to the speed limit and in the rearview watched them continue their rolling roadblock until I was out of sight.

A week or so later, Mrs d8 takes the van to the grocery store and when she gets back tells me about some rear end in a top hat in a blue Toyota truck that cut her off and made a rude gesture. I could only shrug and say, "eh, some people are just born assholes."

the end

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dee eight posted:

Last few posts impel me to tell the story:

Many many years ago, driving home from work on a Sunday at 6 AM in my 1980 GMC cargo van (a story in and of itself), my carpool buddy and I come up behind a blue Toyota truck and beside the truck in the left lane is a pink Caddy. The area is hilly, with guardrails on one side, jersey wall on the other, the speed limit is 65 and truck and caddy are side-by-side holding a steady 53.76 mph. I move over behind the Caddy and give a couple of headlight flashes. Nothing. No reaction, no sign of intelligence. I sit there for half a mile, then shift back behind the Toyota, flash the lights, same result. After a mile of this, I try the Cad again. No joy. A minute or two later, I go back to the right lane and fume for a while and then the highway levels out and the shoulder is good and wide. My buddy says, "Take 'em on the right!"

I don't even hesitate and blast by hammer down. The Toyota driver is leaning on the horn and shaking a fist, I'm leaning out the window flipping him off and screaming gently caress YOU! I get up to the speed limit and in the rearview watched them continue their rolling roadblock until I was out of sight.

A week or so later, Mrs d8 takes the van to the grocery store and when she gets back tells me about some rear end in a top hat in a blue Toyota truck that cut her off and made a rude gesture. I could only shrug and say, "eh, some people are just born assholes."

the end
Don't start poo poo with Clint Eastwood, man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dee eight posted:

Many many years ago, driving home from work on a Sunday at 6 AM in my 1980 GMC cargo van (a story in and of itself)
Tell us more about the van.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/edm5dhl.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving with my convoy? That's a paddlin.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tell us more about the van.

It was a nasty thing. I bought it used around 86 or so and it was just a steel box on a frame. No insulation, wimpy under-performing heater, and it had been wrecked before I got it so the frame was tweaked a bit and it dogtracked a little. I scrounged up a couple sets of seats and made it a six passenger rig. We used it for more than a few road/camping trips, but mostly it was an ill-advised commuting and grocery getting rig. We called it the fridge and drove it through 4 or 5 Montana winters before I said gently caress this and got an even shittier used car (78 Chevy Malibu) that at least would warm up in the cabin.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
drat kids did it again, ran in front of cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEefByQFsHY

Am I being an angry old man, or are these kids really stupid? (The other day's video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8QaFSjo2iU

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 1, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Holy poo poo, the idiots were out in full force today.

Let's see what I saw today:

• Person almost merging into my car because gently caress looking before you get over, right?
  • A brotruck and a tiny Civic getting into a dickwaving contest on the highway
  • Several people going 20+ over and weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off
  • Some idiot who flipped a U-turn in front of me and proceeded to brake for a green light, then not accelerate past 30mph... on a 55mph road (I was about to turn or I would have just gone around them)

There was definitely more but those were the worst. gently caress man, I don't get it. People are just so clueless.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
fun things to see in front of your house after a snowstorm:

Yes there are as close to that pole as you think they are

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

OptimusShr posted:

fun things to see in front of your house after a snowstorm:

Yes there are as close to that pole as you think they are

idgi :confused:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

in the timg you can just barely make out tire tracks going up over the sidewalk and back out onto the road.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

nitrogen posted:

drat kids did it again, ran in front of cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEefByQFsHY

Am I being an angry old man, or are these kids really stupid? (The other day's video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8QaFSjo2iU

I wish we could Matrix-download into every human infant the memory of getting clipped by a car so they actually fear the concept before they're old enough to intelligently grasp the danger.

The original video (girl on bike) is pretty stupid. The other one, eh.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Powershift posted:

in the timg you can just barely make out tire tracks going up over the sidewalk and back out onto the road.

Doesn't help that I just got up and took it through the window and not from outside. :downs:

Aside from there being no need to turn there if they hit the pole it would have wrecked my house.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Javid posted:

I wish we could Matrix-download into every human infant the memory of getting clipped by a car so they actually fear the concept before they're old enough to intelligently grasp the danger.
The girl on the bike needed a good loud horn blast to achieve the same end, to be honest. You should slow and stop like you did, obviously, but by not actually reacting, you're reinforcing the idea that cars just do that and give way to her.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

InitialDave posted:

The girl on the bike needed a good loud horn blast to achieve the same end, to be honest. You should slow and stop like you did, obviously, but by not actually reacting, you're reinforcing the idea that cars just do that and give way to her.

Yeah but its not your job to teach kids lessons, especially a blast on the horn that's likely to scare the girl and have her fall off her bike and injure herself. I mean I sympathize with your point but it's a terrible idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
These are the teens driving super-sedans poorly you share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloRt3Y2Mss&t=248s

"We hit something and slid right in to the guardrail"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A gentle left hander that they can't handle at 60mph, terrific.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I saw the most amazing thing yesterday while waiting to board the ferry. Older WSF Ferry guy walked out in front of a guy driving a mustang and stopped him from boarding. Walked in front of the guy's hood, and shouted "Until you finish your phone conversation and put down your phone, you are not boarding." I was in the next line over and applauded him. When it was my turn to go, the older guy told me that apparently last week one of their deckhands did get hit by someone on that same run (Port Townsend / Coupville) because they were on their phone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

A gentle left hander that they can't handle at 60mph, terrific.

Audi understeers lol

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Actually the dashcam registers a peak of 77mph, but still. Kid's accelerating after the first turn on the offramp. Would be fun to see what would've happened if he just committed to it.

In other news, a local food delivery guy has a 5" GPS mounted directly to his rear view mirror, obstructing most of it. Didn't get a pic but if I see him again I will.

Solar Coaster posted:

I saw the most amazing thing yesterday while waiting to board the ferry. Older WSF Ferry guy walked out in front of a guy driving a mustang and stopped him from boarding. Walked in front of the guy's hood, and shouted "Until you finish your phone conversation and put down your phone, you are not boarding." I was in the next line over and applauded him. When it was my turn to go, the older guy told me that apparently last week one of their deckhands did get hit by someone on that same run (Port Townsend / Coupville) because they were on their phone.

That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wolrah posted:

These are the teens driving super-sedans poorly you share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloRt3Y2Mss&t=248s

"We hit something and slid right in to the guardrail"

Can't even imagine what insurance premiums must be on a policy with a teenager and an RS7 before said teenager has an at-fault accident.

$27k in damage too from the comments section :stonklol: