Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol i just realized this wasn't the main yu-gi-oh thread, so uh how about them video games

i thought it was kinda weird when Eternal Duelist Soul had that mini-game where you had to press A to hold Yugi's breath to not make the clown doll dance, but it was way easier then the FPS section in Kaiba's Laser Tag Arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So Ephraim, out of curiosity...did you watch Arc-V with subs, or did you watch it dubbed (assuming it's dubbed)? I mean, I know for a fact I'm behind on the times, but I don't recall Yu-Gi-Oh having a lot of luck when it comes to faithful script adaptation...

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

So Ephraim, out of curiosity...did you watch Arc-V with subs, or did you watch it dubbed (assuming it's dubbed)? I mean, I know for a fact I'm behind on the times, but I don't recall Yu-Gi-Oh having a lot of luck when it comes to faithful script adaptation...

Subs, yes. Arc-V is dubbed up to...the second season if I remember right, but I could only listen to the English dub for ten seconds. I mean, if I know just from that the acting isn't going to be great, then I should probably stick with what I've got going. There were also some silly name changes, too.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Reshef of Destruction part 4

Oh good, I finally managed to update my deck a little. One of the newcomers is the best Spellcaster in the entire game (who is card number 666 if that kind of thing is funny to you) and the other is Mammoth Graveyard. This is, in my opinion, a critical card to your progress. Its permanent effect lowers the power of all enemy monsters by 500 as long as it's on the field, and at 1200 attack points it can handle a good number of monsters from here until the endgame. Not a bad deck cost for it, either.

Yes, I know. It's a permanent effect. You'll have to live with it.

We head to Kaiba Corporation and see these five dudes begging Mokuba to give them a job.

That portrait is just so perfect here. Shame they don't have blink frames anymore.

Oh, we're watching a stage performance? Will there be dancing hippoes? I like dancing hippoes.

Mokuba, there's a whole five audience members. Come to think of it, where's Serenity?

Oh, she's...part of the show? I can roll with it.

...Oh.

Oh NO. It's THEM.

They're filler villains and they've come dressed as their ace monsters.

...but it's only a stage performance for children instead of a horrible filler arc, so I can be amused!

Mokuba calls for a duelist to take them on, and Joey volunteers. By "volunteer" I mean, he just stands there while I handle the duel.

That or he actually believes his sister is in trouble.

Pssst. Serenity. He's not the one doing the hard part.

Only Jinzo actually duels here, and he plays a machine deck. Not unlike Espa Roba, though he's certainly tougher in this game.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Slifer here. Though, it is one card out of the forty I've got. No strategy in this game is 100% consistent, unfortunately.

Then they summon their collective ace monster, the Five-Headed Dragon.

The G stands for "God" apparently. So..."Five God Dragon"? What kind of name-- Whatever, it's got only 5000 attack points, so I'm sure Slifer can bring it down easily!

Uh, who are you? I said Slifer can easily bring it down.

...the executive producer has been USURPED! By a security guard dressed up like...I don't even know what!

So yeah, this is Kaibaman and I think this is technically his debut, unless his card came out before this game. Now there wasn't anything necessarily wrong with Kaiba creating a card of himself, because come on, that's just such a Kaiba thing to do.

Then Kaibaman becomes a monster spirit in Yu-Gi-Oh GX. Or something.

Wondering why that security guard earlier had Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon in his deck? Here's why. He summons that and Black Luster Soldier and combines them both.

By the way, Fusion summoning isn't in this game, so you can't do this in an actual duel.

This is actually an...what would you call it? An homage I guess? It's an homage to a filler arc from the anime. I kinda like how this game handles it, to be honest.

The Big Five are a little depressed about their jobs being children's entertainment. But they deal with it and we move on.

Ishizu mentions how it's important to take a break every now and again before telling us where the next item is.

Sure is important to take a break even in the face of TOTAL CALAMITY. So that's why we'll be taking on sidequests! First, we go back to Italy.

Really? Did Mr. Magnum REALLY need another sidequest? Anyhow, Bonz seems to have taken up fortune-telling, so Mr. Magnum asks how to win Mai Valentine's heart for real this time.

I can't tell if Bonz is trolling him or--

NO BONZ YOU IDIOT DON'T DO THAT!

Thanks a lot, Bonz. Just...thanks. Mr. Magnum's rematch here is where Konami decided to pull another fast one, just in case you didn't hate the game enough.

Your worst nightmare: a hamburger. And you must be thinking, "How's a hamburger gonna beat you in a duel?" Didn't you notice? IT HAS THE DIVINE ATTRIBUTE FOR NO GOOD REASON. Now, that's normally something only Ritual monsters and God monsters have. And you might remember Hungry Burger being a Ritual monster in previous games, and the TCG! Well let me explain.

There are 800 cards in Reshef of Destruction, which is somehow less than the 900 in Sacred Cards. Apparently they needed to cut a lot of cards to make room for other stuff in the game. Among the cards cut were all of the Ritual spells - except for three. Black Illusion Ritual, Dark Magic Ritual, and Black Luster Ritual are the only Ritual spells in Reshef of Destruction. However, they kept the monsters even though the spells were cut, except they didn't change any of the attributes, and the computer can use them freely. The player?

The player gets to deal with THIS poo poo. The former ritual monsters cost NINE NINETY NINE, rendering it next to impossible to even think about putting it in your deck, even if you do obtain it. And don't even ask what they cost to purchase from the shop in the first place!

I almost expected them to be immune to effects, too, but that is thankfully not the case, so I still have outs. 2000 attack points is also not impossible to beat, but the best course of action is to never allow the computer time to summon former Ritual monsters in the first place.

To think. The only reward for this is an amusing easter egg.

fortune changes. Oh well.

Included the entire line there because it's actually fairly amusing.

This is a fun little feature. The result of Bonz's ad-libbed readings depend on your name if memory serves. Oh, and this feature eventually becomes unavailable, so better try it when you have the chance.

A...a penguin?

What's that supposed to mean?!...To be fair, I do flip the bird quite often, and people tend to react to my presence with total disgust.

Does anyone in the Yu-Gi-Oh universe have those initials...?

Do I wanna know?

Soon as I figure out how NPCs work, I'm hacking in a duel against the dog. Titty Kitty included.

There's another side event with Tea in the clock tower square.

Bonz again? People are flying all the way to Italy to see him!

And then suddenly a filler character shows up. There's not even a portrait for this one!

.......alrighty! I'm the only one doing the hard work around here, so I may as well do your love interest's job for him!

So this character is called "Johnny Steps" and he plays a music-themed deck. The biggest guns are Light attribute.

You get rewarded with an Elemental Guitar Hero!...I'll try harder with the pun next time.

Then the most adorable little penguin shows up and asks to hire Tea. I'd normally ask who wouldn't want to work for a cute penguin. Then I realized it's actually a perverted old man in a costume. So naturally, we have to give him the boot too.

Just look at the kind of monsters he has...ugh. They had to give the penguin monsters to possibly the worst character.

He starts on an Ocean field, and like in Sacred Cards, using Thunder monsters for this is fine, just watch out for the Earth-attribute Penguin Knight.

You get his ace monster as a reward. Nightmare Penguin wasn't printed at the time, so his level is higher than it is in the TCG, which doesn't help its usefulness a lot. Its permanent effect is to power up all Aqua, Fish, and Sea Serpent monsters. Not bad if you're playing that kind of deck, I suppose.

Tea states the fortune teller predicted she would have really bad luck with the opposite gender today.

I dunno, ever heard of a guy called Jaden Yuki? He dumped his playing-card-girlfriend for actual humans, the horrible man!

I acquired this card a bit later. It's an amazing card. It may look like nothing more than a stronger Dark Magician, but then you see its card effect. At the start of the other player's turn, Mirage Knight disappears and is replaced by a Dark Magician AND a Flame Swordsman. This is because it's really a fusion of those two monsters, but only stays fused for one turn.

Thing is, there's no fusion summoning in this game, so you can just get Mirage Knight and play it like a normal monster. You still need to tribute two monsters, sure, but unless those monsters are stronger than what Mirage Knight turns into, it's pretty worth it in my opinion. What I'd REALLY love to get is Dark Flare Knight. If he's in the graveyard, Mirage Knight is summoned, and it doesn't matter how he gets into the graveyard. You could just discard him there, and he works! It's for this reason that Dark Flare Knight is limited to one copy per deck.

Anyhow, after being sidetracked for a little bit, next time we find out why we're going to Canada, of all places. I hear they have really nice squirt guns.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 28, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Ephraim225 posted:

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Slifer here. Though, it is one card out of the forty I've got. No strategy in this game is 100% consistent, unfortunately.

Sure there is! It just takes an innate knowledge of how the RNG works, and how to manipulate it, that's all :cheeky: .

It's not quite as simple as it normally is with GBA games, but it's still not that hard; I can tell you if you like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ephraim225 posted:

Oh, we're watching a stage performance? Will there be dancing hippoes? I like dancing hippoes.
I think that'd be more of a carnival.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Ephraim225 posted:

Soon as I figure out how NPCs work, I'm hacking in a duel against the dog. Titty Kitty included.

7 Trials to Glory had you dueling a dog (and maybe a cat), and IIRC the dog is actually one of the hardest duelists in the game aside from pretty much anybody in the 'Shadow Realm' postgame area.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Johnny Steps and the Big 5 weren't filler; they were also in the manga, but in smaller roles. :eng101:

The Big 5 are just there for Duelist Kingdom and are presumably fired after Kaiba realizes they tried to have his company taken over, while Johnny Steps just does the dance-off with Tea, though the anime added him trying to knock her off of the game platform and challenging Atem to a duel.

And the Kaibaman scenario is, of course, a reference to the first Virtual World Arc, with each of the Big 5 portrayed as their Deck Master from the second.

I like talking about this series too much.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Apparently, F.G.D. has a story behind its rise and fall. Not sure why they bothered...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who knew Petit Dragon had such a long and complicated history?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poor Inpachi. Gets burned alive, dies, gets brought back by a mad scientist as a cyborg, and then gets destroyed for good by this clown.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I like how the sangan story has at least two cards with the same effect

Also til they added like a million new rarities beyond 'secret' :psyduck:

And why the hell is sangan banned? Stupid meta decks? Also, I'm trying to find stairway to the destined duel. That's my favorite ygo game of all time :allears:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sangan was banned because he was the second best searcher in the game.

He recently became unbanned, though they gave him errata to weaken his effect.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sangan also comboed extremely well with another card, Tour Guide From the Underworld.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sangan was overpowered because they'd underestimated how useful searching for any low-attack monster could be, and it became more and more so as the game evolved.

Witch of the Black Forest, meanwhile, was overpowered from Day 1, since it could search out La Jinn and Summoned Skull, and Jinzo, the three unarguably strongest monsters in YuGiOh for a very long time.

Edit Well, except Man-Eater Bug, I guess. But Sangan could grab MEB too, and Flip monsters got nerfed hard by Nobleman of Crossout.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 28, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Poor Inpachi. Gets burned alive, dies, gets brought back by a mad scientist as a cyborg, and then gets destroyed for good by this clown.

...What the hell does "appropriate equip spell card" mean? Do they mean one that's "valid" according to its effect text? Then why not use that word?

"Well, yes, technically The Kick Man can be equipped with the Vibrator of Cleopatra, but that spell card is just not appropriate."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kick Man is an old card from before they had consistent, clarified text on their cards, and I'm pretty sure he's never been reprinted to fix it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

From what I can find, this is indeed Kaibaman's first appearance, the card proper wouldn't exist until the year after Reshef of Destruction was released.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
TCG banlists are weird. We wait twice as long for half as much and the bans are questionable at best. My friend (who plays blackwings, cyber dragons, raidraptors) also plays a hero deck and Stratos still being banned in the TCG but up to semi-limited in the OCG annoys the heck out of him. I play rank 10 trains, Cubics, Superheavy Samurais, Shiranuis, and Deskbots. A few other decks too. I like to have lots of options. My coworker plays Blue Eyes, Kozmos, Monarchs, Satellarknights, and Buster Bladers. I guess he likes to win.

Oh and good thread so far OP, I didn't have a handheld when these came out so I was curious about the old games. I played a ton of World tournament 2008 for DS. Shame all the servers are down.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Reshef of Destruction part 5

So we're going to Canada next. These are some pretty random locations for the Millenium Items to just fly off to.

And of course, when I think Canada, I think FOSSIL EXCAVATION SITE! No snow, just an excuse to start our duels on Wasteland fields.

But that's actually very fantastic for Mammoth Graveyard, so I'm game. You can duel some of the NPCs here, who apparently take their cards to work with them.

The screen shakes as we enter the cave.

Tremors are entirely normal.

Well who did you think was going to show up in a fossil excavation site? It's Rex Raptor again.

And of course he knows where the Millenium Item is but we have to duel him first.

Rex is one of the first opponents to really put Equip cards to good use, so expect some scary numbers every now and again. Wind monsters mess him up good, though, as most Dinosaurs are Earth monsters.

Having a God on your side helps too.

Turns out the Millenium Item is, surprise surprise, LITERALLY the next room over.

Public Service Announcement: Dinosaurs are NOT DRAGONS.

This Millenium Guardian doesn't have much stronger cards than Rex did, so let's demonstrate Mirage Knight's effect.

As you can see, instead of one monster with 2800 attack points, I now have one with 2500 and another with 1800. Being summoned face-up means Flame Swordsman can't use his effect, though, which is to destroy all Dinosaur monsters on the field...uh, not that helpful unless you're fighting Rex anyways, I suppose.

The Millenium Rod is our next item, which means it's time for another cameo appearance!

Marik appears and says not to bug him, basically. Sorry Marik, once you've been a Yu-Gi-Oh character, you can't ever stop being a Yu-Gi-Oh character.

Back at the shop, I discover that there's another Toon monster for sale, so naturally I have to add it to my deck!

Well, I'll add it eventually. :argh: Duelist Level!

Item number six is in the Galapagos Islands. Sounds acquatic.

And who else do we know to be acquatic but Mako Tsunami.

Fortunately, dueling him is completely optional. I mean, you could take him on...

But considering his deck, I don't recommend it. Hey, it's one of those former Ritual monsters again! And Torrential Tribute, the trap card you have no way of avoiding without a card that destroys traps.

Further into the island is Weevil Underwood, who is also an optional opponent at this point.

He's a little easier than Mako. Though that Parasite Paracide is annoying. It can replace one of your monsters with itself. I'd avoid tribute summoning against him for this reason.

Still, one good Fire monster is usually enough here.

So it's not just us who can casually travel cross-country like it's nothing! Seriously! China is halfway across the globe from here!

Hey, look who it is.

Huh, he must have beaten the Millenium Guardian already! That's one less for us to deal with. Pay attention, Yugi! This person is much better at being useful.

Wait, that's not how Dark Yugi talks.

Yeah it's a fake. I mean, that should have been obvious considering the Millenium Puzzle is nowhere near where we are!

The Mimic of Doom reveals his true self, and we duel!

At this point I think it's worth reminding everyone: I only show myself winning, which might give the illusion that the game isn't as hard as I make it out to be at times. Thing is, every victory occurs mostly because I draw a good combination of cards in my opening hand, and I don't have a TON of good cards to draw, so there's usually lots of resets in between every win. And of course, duels are much slower than screenshots can convey.

So after beating him, he just drops the Millenium Scales and leaves.

Shadi makes another cameo and tells us Pegasus is under Reshef's influence or something. I guess he'd kind of have to be.

Okay, that's six Millenium Items so we should be able to get the final God card--

oh no the card that costs too much to be practical is gone from my deck

They actually force you to re-edit your deck if the God card was in your deck, which now that I think about it, would be very bad if the player had lost every card that wasn't in their deck somehow. Maybe that's why you can't sell a card if you're down to one copy of it.

Bullshit! We have Mirage Knight, and we could get lots of other great cards from Yugi's Grandpa!...if he wouldn't charge so much money, anyways.

I mean, I guess if there was some rule stating that in order to defeat Reshef the last attack on his LP has to be made by a God card, then I'd want them back, but fortunately, this isn't Nightmare Troubadour for the DS, so that isn't the case.

In fact, if our goal is to SAVE THE WORLD why are we restricted by Duelist Level and Deck Cost and the Banlist anyways? It makes no sense.

Hold everything, it's sideplot time. If you didn't view the scenes with Tristan and Duke two updates ago, this won't happen.

I didn't know Tristan had a dog. Ishizu leaves to sort out the God card problem while we go see what's up.

Duke and Serenity explain that they haven't seen Tristan in awhile.

This sidequest is, in all honesty, the most dumbass thing ever, but it's too hilarious for me to complain about it. Well, actually, if you unlock this sidequest, you have no choice but to play it, so that's uncool.

We get a poor sepia tone and a flashback to...a robot monkey?

Wow. That's the biggest leap of logic I've ever seen.

"Tristan's dog sure likes that robot monkey!"
"THE MONKEY MUST BE TRISTAN!"

Duke also guesses that Reshef's influence can cause ANYTHING including this. Okay! Whatever! Let's go with that!

Uh, maybe the monkey JUST ISN'T TRISTAN? I get that the head is similar, but geez.

NO. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. That arc is NOT CANON. Don't remind me of that!

So, we ask Yugi's Grandpa about the robot monkey. He mentions Kaiba Corporation makes them.

Joey then assumes Kaiba turned Tristan into a robot monkey. REALLY.

Mokuba says what we're all thinking, then tells us the monkeys FLEW CROSS-COUNTRY TO THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS. I...okay! Whatever! Let's go there too!

But none of them robotic, I'm sure.

...they even have bananas. WHY do they have BANANAS? They're ROBOTS.

Two of them guard the bananas while the other runs up to us and...

...wait what happened? Why are we in the ante screen?

I'm DUELING the ROBOT MONKEY?! Are you for real?!

They even have annoying spell cards, great. The strong Beast monsters weren't enough, apparently.

So of course we have to beat all the monkeys, and the weakest one has to be Tristan, because he's the worst duelist in the entire game. Monkey See, Monkey Duel. (Has that been used as an Ape Escape level name yet?)

One of them dropped this. I guess it could come in handy.

7 Trials to Glory might let you challenge a dog to a duel, but can you challenge a BANANA to a duel?!

The remaining monkey is cornered, and his deck just sucks compared to the others, so we must have our man!...ape? Ape man!

Say, how DID he get all the way here with no plane or anything?

The monkey seems to take a liking to Serenity. Or he just wants to get away from Joey.

Then Yugi's Grandpa comes out and confirms that the robot is not, in fact, Tristan. That was obvious from the start!

So YOU are the mastermind of this train wreck of a sidequest! I should have known all along!

Tristan was okay all along too, he was just out having a banana!

You shut up, Serenity, you believed he was a monkey too.

Well, to me, you do.

You can duel the monkey robot, but there's no point, his deck and drops are the same as Tristan's.

The shop had also added this to its selection. That's all four of the Toon monsters I'll actually be able to use, so I guess this trip has been worth it.

Next time: Oh right, I guess we should do something about the God cards turning to stone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You had to remind me of the last duel of Nightmare Troubadour. :argh:

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You had to remind me of the last duel of Nightmare Troubadour. :argh:

What are you talking about? The final duel all depends on you Winning the duel by destroying Marik's God Card with Your own was a great win requirement and I won't hear otherwise.

ie; it was some actual bullshit :argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god that sidequest. :allears:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Ephraim225 posted:

I didn't know Tristan had a dog.

It comes up a few times in the manga. It's the reason he doesn't get into the V-pet craze (too busy with a real pet to get a fake one). Later on while walking his dog he sees Yami Bakura go into Duke's game shop, which is how the gang realizes something is up and that Duke and his dad kidnapped Yugi.

Side note, the Duke arc in the manga was split into three arcs in the anime. First you have the actual DDM game between Yugi and Duke, although in the manga Yugi doesn't have the Millennium Puzzle so it's actually Yugi playing the game instead of Atem. Second, the "trapped in a burning building with the broken Millennium Puzzle which Yugi tries to put back together instead of running to safety". Finally, the "your grandpa hosed over my [grand]dad".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you've seen the movie, you might recall Joey working for a guy dressed as a clown.

That's actually Duke's father. He dresses up like a clown because he's really weird and lost to Yugi's grandfather in a Shadow Game. In trying to get his revenge on Yugi, he burns down his new gaming store, which is replaced by a warehouse fire caused by a delirious Bandit Keith in the anime.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you've seen the movie, you might recall Joey working for a guy dressed as a clown.

That's actually Duke's father. He dresses up like a clown because he's really weird and lost to Yugi's grandfather in a Shadow Game. In trying to get his revenge on Yugi, he burns down his new gaming store, which is replaced by a warehouse fire caused by a delirious Bandit Keith in the anime.

And Duke's father having a problem with Yugi's grandpa is more or less replaced with the Rebecca story. Although in the manga, Yugi's grandpa did get his Blue-Eyes from a friend in America, and there is a picture of the two of them in the game shop, Dr. Hawkins is never actually named and Rebecca never shows up.

Also in the show Joey loses a game of Duel Monsters to Duke to become his dog and Yami Yugi has to beat Duke in a game of DDM to free him, in the manga Joey loses some bar bet card games. Then Yami Yugi beats Duke in a bar bet card game to free Joey, the DDM match had nothing to do with him.

I talked about this with a friend a while back, but most of the filler before Battle City (other than the virtual world) was pulled from other storylines in the manga, so a lot of it feels like it fits in pretty well. Then there's the two virtual world arcs to throw off any momentum. Although even then the Battle City virtual world arc is the only time in the anime if I remember correctly where we get the story of Seto cheating at a game of chess to get himself and Mokuba adopted. Then being treated like poo poo, taking over the company, and driving his adopted father to commit suicide.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The second virtual world arc would've been better if it took place before the Battle City finals rather than after Mai and Bakura were teetering between life and death.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think the huge issue wasn't the arc itself, but the timing, there's already too many things at stake.

In a series that cared more about it's secondary characters, you think Tristan/Honda would figure out he's the fifth wheel, and viewed so low on the capability totem pole that people confused a monkey for him that he would actually... do something about that. As is, he's Jou without the plot importance or skill.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ephraim225 posted:

And of course, when I think Canada, I think FOSSIL EXCAVATION SITE! No snow, just an excuse to start our duels on Wasteland fields.

I do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tyrrell_Museum_of_Palaeontology

Although the location on the map looks like the location is in Saskatchewan, not Alberta.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

I do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tyrrell_Museum_of_Palaeontology

Although the location on the map looks like the location is in Saskatchewan, not Alberta.

I suppose that makes better sense. Thank you.

Reshef of Destruction part 6

Finally, it's time to get back to the plot. There are no more sidequests outside the post-game. Unless anyone else can prove themselves more informed than me.

I...Ishizu, you're doing something USEFUL?! Okay, cool. We're told to ask Kaiba about the God cards turning back to stone.

In spite of his card turning to stone, Kaiba maintains the "I don't believe in magical mumbo jumbo" schtick.

And then he leaves just in time for a crisis to strike that only the player will have to clean up as usual.

The Neo Ghouls are here. They're now swarming the entire city, and while you can duel them, it's pointless: they just respawn when you do. Bizzarely, if you lose and get booted back to your house, you have to talk to Kaiba again. This is because the next plot scene is right in front of your house and I guess it'd be odd to just leave your home and bam, plot event.

Remember that kid I said was a manga cameo? He makes an attempt to look intimidating.

That went well. (Examining his body starts a duel, by the way.)

Oh great! The Exodia player!

Espa Roba shows up to defend his brothers.

Ahaha! Cards! Get it? It's funny because cards.

The Exodia player hasn't improved all that much since Sacred Cards. In the previous game, he had three copies of every Exodia piece excluding the head - technically illegal because of the Limited List, but it crippled his deck anyways. Now he has three copies of all the pieces, which makes getting "Obliterated" a bigger threat than before, but it's still very much luck-based. He just has to not draw them and you'll win, as there are no Traps or Spells save Pot of Greed in his deck.

Aren't these faces just amazing?

Espa Roba shows us who the real Jinzo player is and beats the rest of the Neo Ghouls out of this part of the city. They're still everywhere, though, and Ishizu is also missing.

A...habit...I guess it has something to do with him faking ESP in his duel with Joey, but...I don't really get it.

Ishizu was kidnapped. Is Mai Valentine the only female who can't be kidnapped or something?

In order to take down the Neo Ghouls, rather than alert the proper authorities, we have to recruit a team of teenagers with ATTITUDE.

At this point, the Exhibit and the Train Station become inaccessible. Beating the duelists here just causes another one to take their place. You can duel thousands of them and they'll all respawn.

Not sure if this is tied to any sidequest, but you can go to the game shop and witness Duke and Tristan defending Serenity together.

Now it's time for the second world tour. The Neo Ghouls have some strong cards, but they use 99% Fiend attribute monsters. Between Hourglass of Life, Skelengel, and Hoshiningen, I have plenty of Light attribute monsters to get past that with.

Save a duelist's neck, and he joins the city! It's like Digimon World without cyborg dragons that still experience potty emergencies.

What. How did THIS line make it in?! It wasn't even a meme yet!

Over in China, we see Umbra and Lumis attempting to recruit Weevil Underwood.

The jerk almost goes for it, but then decides to turn on them.

For gently caress's SAKE make YUGI do it!

Anyhow, I suppose I should duel Umbra because I dueled Lumis back in Sacred Cards.

ON SECOND THOUGHT NO LET'S DUEL LUMIS

Okay, so they have stupidly high attack monsters, this won't be that--

:argh: STUPID FORMER RITUAL MONSTERS!

TOON STREAM OF DESTRUCTION! That's how it's done.

He's pretty much correct.

But they just tried to recruit you.

How do these guys even know to travel the world, though? And I kind of get why they want to recruit Weevil and Rex: The former is the Japanese Regional Champion, the latter is the runner-up. But Mai? Mako? BONZ? What is the standard here?

Another pair of duelists you get to choose between. The guy on the left uses a deck of Fiend attribute monsters like the others. The guy on the right has Light and Dream attribute monsters. Choose wisely.

Rex joins the city! Meanwhile, in the Galapagos...

Pffft. Alright, I admit, THAT line is pretty amusing.

Oh yeah, all these duels take place on Darkness fields, even Strings, whose strongest cards seem to be the Water attribute monsters. A good balance of Thunder and Light can get you through this.

The prize for this is the worst card ever. Jam Breeding Machine creates a Change Slime every turn, but it also stops you from ever summoning anything else. So no, it's not easy tribute fodder.

Mako joins the city! Just one more now!

As we board the cruise ship, we see Takeshi getting robbed. Ha-ha!

Mai seems to be handling them just fine...

Except every time she beats one, another pops in. Oh I know, they must have made dueling holograms, it's no wonder they just vanish upon being defeated.

Pincer attack!

Wow. I know this choice really means nothing, but FINALLY we can say something badass. I just wish Arkana was more freaked out by our confidence.

His deck is pretty well-balanced, so this will not be as simple as the others were.

TOON BURNING ATTACK!

Arrrgh! Not again...this elemental system...well two can play at that game!

Ryu-Ran: 1, Arkana: 0...plus all the other resets I did at this point.

Nice prize, though. They'll never print that in real life.

Mai joins the city! Time to see how Espa's holding up.

The Neo Ghoul population has significantly decreased, thankfully.

Just a couple more around here somewhere, though.

Oh no. Do we have to duel him AGAIN?

Are they still running this show? That's amazing.

Can the invincible Kaibaman stand up to literally the most basic deck in history?

I thought not.

Further adding to the hilarity, the Big Five turn on Mokuba, like you didn't see that one coming.

Espa opts to take down the Big Five while we get to face the Exodia player AGAIN.

They couldn't have let me choose an opponent for this one?! I mean, the Exodia player just has better monsters and added Skelengels to his deck, but it's still a very luck-driven battle. I was not pleased to have to do it again.

Jinzo vs. Jinzo. Wouldn't that be awesome to see in the anime.

Arbitrarily, the next area we need to go to, which was blocked off before, is now open.

Sort of.

Next time: They finally justify the Life Point mechanics. Stupidly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Pipipi thing is supposed to be him consulting the cosmos. Think of it like people going "Ommmm" when they're meditating.

As a note, there are a number of other manga cameo duelists, but they aren't as easily noticeable as Zombire there.

Also, Mai placed high in Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. Bonz was also one of the last players in both to get eliminated. As for Mako, I dunno.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 5, 2017

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bonz was also one of the last players in both to get eliminated.

I'll give him Duelist Kingdom (although he did have Bandit Keith telling him what to do and building his deck), but in Battle City, he and his two buddies just scared people at the cemetery to take their Locator Cards.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MissileWaster posted:

I'll give him Duelist Kingdom (although he did have Bandit Keith telling him what to do and building his deck), but in Battle City, he and his two buddies just scared people at the cemetery to take their Locator Cards.

In the manga it was just him and we never see how he got the other cards. Presumably it was by dueling. I'm assuming that's the continuity they're treating his skills with since this game merges the manga and anime, though he never seems particularly impressive in either.

In fact, Bakura just kills him after dueling him offscreen during the manga of Battle City.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In fact, Bakura just kills him after dueling him offscreen during the manga of Battle City.

Does he kill ALL the likable non-main characters or just Bonz and Pegasus?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Why did they have that dumb laser battle? When was that ever established? How come Yami Bakura isn't wearing the eye in battle city?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why did they have that dumb laser battle? When was that ever established? How come Yami Bakura isn't wearing the eye in battle city?

It wasn't a laser battle in the manga, it was just off-screen. All we really see is Pegasus's dead corpse sitting at a table and Bakura pocketing the eye. As for why he's not wearing it, it requires REPLACING your eye. It would be noticed. He's the spirit of a Thief King.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mm, I suppose. If he is trying to gain all the items then using the eye would make it easier though. Destiny Board won't be enough. Also drat 4Kids not murdering beloved cast members.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
He didn't die in the Japanese dub either, which imo is better because pegasus owns

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yes he is a good villain imo. I like Bakura's design more though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Does he kill ALL the likable non-main characters or just Bonz and Pegasus?

Bonz, Pegasus, Shadi, and almost Joey.

Charles Bukowski posted:

The anime team liked Pegasus so much that they decided to spare him. Though, for whatever reason, they also cut out the dialogue of Pegasus explaining everything about ancient Egypt. That might possibly be because the Duelist anime didn't adapt Season Zero, so instead of Pegasus talking about how he met Shadi and got the Eye from him, they just did a quick adaptation of Shadi's introduction in Season Zero.

As for why he's not wearing the Eye, it would be noticeable as Onmi said, but he's also intending on giving the Eye to Yugi at some point so he can send him to the Memory World and enact his plans with Zorc. That is in fact how the final arc of the manga starts.

• Locked thread