Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fuego Fish posted:

Each mind that views this image struggles as best it can to perceive that unreadable text as dialogue it can comprehend.

As best I can comprehend the pixelation, Carol Danvers is pissed because Black Panther thought about the Stay-Puft Galactus Man.

Meanwhile...

:ohdear:

Ed Brubaker's Velvet, issues one and two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Got a copy for $8 (+shipping) of the first God of Thunder deluxe hardcover on it's way to me, thanks to this thread and talk of Thor being epic. Anytime I can pay a buck an issue for great comics in hardcover binding I'm very happy. Wish I could find the second half of that run for as cheap. I definitely enjoyed the first She-Thor trade by Aaron, but I think I'm going to hold off on reading the rest of that until I get the back story. Are Thor and Unworthy continuing to be great?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This squirrel girl reboot is pretty gritty.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ygolonac posted:

As best I can comprehend the pixelation, Carol Danvers is pissed because Black Panther thought about the Stay-Puft Galactus Man.

Meanwhile...

:ohdear:

Velvet is so drat good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As far as Badass Galactus nobody beats Ribic/Svorcina imo

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

What Not To Wear sure got weird.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zoux posted:

As far as Badass Galactus nobody beats Ribic/Svorcina imo

Of course it's Thor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That one storyline in Nova where Nova is helping evacuate a planet Galactus is about to eat is one of the greatest depictions of Galactus ever.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

Just remember that this is the perception of Galactus from the human mind and not his actual form. In actuality both he and likely The Watcher look entirely different and possibly not even something that can be rendered in standard euclidean space. Galactus is always perceived buy races as their most feared object. It's possible that the Watcher perceives Galactus in a Way Beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

Tippy Toe saw him as a big squirrel so it's not always their most feared object. Hilariously him and Squirrel Girl knew this but just described his clothes to each other so they both thought they saw him the same way (this implies he looks like whatever but is actually wearing that outfit).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duke Igthorn posted:

Tippy Toe saw him as a big squirrel so it's not always their most feared object. Hilariously him and Squirrel Girl knew this but just described his clothes to each other so they both thought they saw him the same way (this implies he looks like whatever but is actually wearing that outfit).
Tippy-toe and Doreen also have very similar worldviews, even if I imagine Doreen is more high minded while Tippy-Toe is just a squirrel trynna get a nut.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Galactus doesn't appear as your worst fear, he just appears as something your mind can comprehend.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I can't help but imagine something tickling the back of Molecule Man's mind in the final panel there.

e: "Yeah, but can't everyone do th...hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

I imagine something is tickling the back of Molecule Man's mind in the final there.

"Yeah, but can't everyone do th...hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm."

This was at the start of Secret Wars, so I'm guessing he was more like "oh my, I got Ultron killed :ohdear:".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wasn't that the beginning of "wait Molecule Man is all powerful"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Push El Burrito posted:

Wasn't that the beginning of "wait Molecule Man is all powerful"?

In the first issue there, he still thought all he could do was manipulate inorganic material. And not even dramatically -- he had to be talked into throwing Ultron at Galactus. It wasn't until about issue eight that Doom explained things to him.

And then a couple years later, he and the Beyonder were revealed to be parts of an incomplete Cosmic Cube, and they were cubified together.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 29, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, what the hell was Beyonder thinking bring Galactus to Battleworld? A. He's not an Earth "villain" or whatever that is the point of the whole contest, and B. He's a drat multi-cosmic entity, the Beyonder knows drat well what he is!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Man, what the hell was Beyonder thinking bring Galactus to Battleworld? A. He's not an Earth "villain" or whatever that is the point of the whole contest, and B. He's a drat multi-cosmic entity, the Beyonder knows drat well what he is!
What was the Beyonder's goal there, even? I mean if he just wanted to see some sick fights, Galactus is a good backstop and presumably he would be mollified if the Beyonder was like 'yo, free planet.'

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nessus posted:

What was the Beyonder's goal there, even? I mean if he just wanted to see some sick fights, Galactus is a good backstop and presumably he would be mollified if the Beyonder was like 'yo, free planet.'

It was less that Galactus was angry, more that he was taken to this strange planet to fight guys and he's all "hey free planet" and promptly ignores the supers and starts setting to work slowly eating the planet. With the Supers still on it. It's been awhile, but iirc, he at the time was waiting for his ship to find him (it didn't take that long to track him down) which I'm pretty sure is just his portable closet full of the serious planet energy eating technology. Ultron was basically his piece of bread and butter before his dinner was ready for his table.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That Beyonder was retconned into basically being a bewildered infant member of his race.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beyonder's been retconned so many times it hardly even matters what the latest retcon is.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ygolonac posted:

I've never even heard of Velvet and I assumed this was Bru right away. He certainly has a distinctive "voice"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

Beyonder's been retconned so many times it hardly even matters what the latest retcon is.

The best Beyonder retcon is that they were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

wiegieman posted:

The best Beyonder retcon is that they were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.
Is that why the Beyonder destroyed Spidey's toilet?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

wiegieman posted:

Thank you for reminding me to listen to the Nextwave theme song.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Say Nothing posted:

That Beyonder was retconned into basically being a bewildered infant member of his race.

That part itself was pretty cool (80s obsessed idiot teenage supergod) but the Ivory Kings themselves weren't. They're good for exactly one story and it's been told. I'm really hoping Ewing isn't seeding the idea of them returning in Ultimates 2, because I have so little interest in revisiting that story again.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

wiegieman posted:

Wait, so what's the story with Beyonders and Nextwave?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Thank you for reminding me to listen to the Nextwave theme song.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Doctor Doom is my favorite Marvel villain. Sure he's corny, sure he embodies every lame villainous stereotype.

But the first Marvel comic I ever read with him in it was that issue of Secret Wars where he used lenses made out of Klaw's body to focus Galactus's energy into himself so that he has the power to challenge God to a fight. (Okay, The Beyonder, but even at the age of seven I knew that was totally God). Then he loses the fight and God commences to dissecting him while he's still alive to see what makes him so different from all the other men, but being vivisected was part of Doom's plan, he just wanted to get God in arm's reach so he could take HIS power.

At the age of seven I had no such concepts as "BADASS" or "AWESOME" or "METAL AS gently caress". I had no idea what those feelings were called that that comic aroused in me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

That part itself was pretty cool (80s obsessed idiot teenage supergod) but the Ivory Kings themselves weren't. They're good for exactly one story and it's been told. I'm really hoping Ewing isn't seeding the idea of them returning in Ultimates 2, because I have so little interest in revisiting that story again.

Agreed. The Ivory Kings were awesome as this menacing threat mentioned, always in the wings and ready to be used.

And then they sort of appear and go in short succession. (Though seeing them drive Hank Pym mad or how two completely kill off the Avengers super heavyweights was cool.)

The only thing I found funny was the initial design of the Ivory Kings made them look like the Moonites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force on steroids.

That should be how they get re-introduced.

BTW remember in the early days of New Avengers where the most popular fan theory was that all the factions were composed of the end points of the Illuminati developments? (That the Priests were Dr. Strange's. The builders were Beast and Ironman. El Rabish was Reed Richards. The Ivory King was Black Bolt and the Ebony King* was Black Panther.)
That the plot was going on a "The Illuminati in their parinoia become the threat they wanted to fight."

It's not often that a story becomes better than the popular fan theory ends up.

*= When a typo in one issue creates speculation about the existence of a new faction, you are doing a good job as a writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

It's not often that a story becomes better than the popular fan theory ends up.

Really? I uh, didn't realize this was a rare occurrence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Really? I uh, didn't realize this was a rare occurrence.

Fan theory can often go in new or exciting directions. Or they are satisfying in a way the story isn't. Like how the unseen monster is way scarier than the man in the rubber monster suit.

But Hickman just really managed to stick the landing with his Avengers run, even when all the fan theories were flying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm just glad Hickman took his little Secret Wars story and turned it into a years long double book epic that ended with the destruction of the multi-verse and a line wide derail of every other marvel book.

Like I would love to see the sales pitch go from "I want to write secret wars" to "ok I'll do avengers and new avengers" to "get every writer on the phone I'm killing the universe and reshaping it after my favorite character"

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Toshimo posted:

Things take a turn for the worse as Thor concludes the Surtur Saga: the Fire Lord of Muspelheim leads a devastating twin-pronged assault on Asgard and Midgard. While Thor and his warriors rush to defend the helpless mortals (including a fairly overmatched Fantastic Four and The Avengers), Odin, the All-Father, takes on the demon himself in defense of Asgard. It's all a bit too much, even for the Lord of Asgard and Odin summons both of his sons to his aid.

love the horatius paraphrase.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm just glad Hickman took his little Secret Wars story and turned it into a years long double book epic that ended with the destruction of the multi-verse and a line wide derail of every other marvel book.

Like I would love to see the sales pitch go from "I want to write secret wars" to "ok I'll do avengers and new avengers" to "get every writer on the phone I'm killing the universe and reshaping it after my favorite character"

I'm not sure if I entirely buy the theory that Hickman just wrote Avengers and Secret Wars to wank off on his Doctor Doom love, but if I were to entertain that theory there's an awful lot of wood for that particular fire,

But then I didn't like Hickman's run on Avengers/NA at all; I found the tone completely wrong for an Avengers book, his villains without exception forgettable and the characters he introduced didn't fit the world at all. I recognize that it was technically well written and juggled, but it felt more like one of his indie books than a mainstream Avengers title.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I just knew there was no way it was gonna live up to his Fantastic Four run.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Wait, so what's the story with Beyonders and Nextwave?

This is best answered by rephrasing the original statement.

wiegieman posted:

The best Beyonder retcon is that the writers and publisher were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Fan theory can often go in new or exciting directions. Or they are satisfying in a way the story isn't. Like how the unseen monster is way scarier than the man in the rubber monster suit.
I think the issue is for every "Chewie and R2 were probably agents of Rebel intelligence" there's a "it's all a delusion because the main character is mentally ill," a "it's a horrifying dystopia if you just THINK about it in this highly specific way," and a half-dozen "Oh yeah, those hot guys are totally eager to gently caress each other."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember that fan theory people had where the guy who works for Bruce Wayne in the Dark Knight was secretly Riddler because his name rhymes with "Mysteries"? That's the level most fan theories I've seen are at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It comes down to whether the story proposed in the "theory" appeals to you.

One which appealed to me despite not really working was "the main characters from Fight Club are Calvin and Hobbes." It's at least an idea that I would be interested in seeing worked through, and could be great in a Weapon Brown sort of way.

I really don't get why some people seem to find the idea of Superman killing women with his death-sperm really appealing.