Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't get the Valentina obsession. Then again I didn't get the Katya fixation either.

Two fierce queens with a great aesthetic and personality for miles.

Katya should have won season 7, and I will be very happy with Valentina makes it to the final 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Nina is definitely my favorite this season.

The cheerleading challenge reminds me of TLO reviewing that "drag up your chin" challenge, like how can you judge this, why would you judge this?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I think the goal of the Cheerleading challenge was to see which queens could sell while doing things way outside their comfort zone.

Team Valentina.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I can't stand valentinas interviews and that stupid beret.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

not liking Valentina makes me feel like I'm evil or something. everything about her feels so forced and it seems off.

untucked this week was kinda brutal. James :(

Marengo
Aug 6, 2012

Valentina seems like the kind of queen who would have brought an alternate (and equally stunning) white outfit in case someone else wore a wedding gown.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

That look was totally intentional to show off that she has a knowledge of gay history. I didn't like it at first, but now I think it's brilliant.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

Katya should have won season 7, and I will be very happy with Valentina makes it to the final 3.

Katya is one of my favourite four queens in the history of the show, but she wasn't giving it her all in season 7. I think she should have hit top three, but Violet really earned that crown by the end-- even if it was because the competition wasn't as fierce that year.

I'm beyond happy she made it into All Stars, instead. We got to see more of her and she showed off her Russian schtick finally. If she had won the crown there it would have felt deserved, but Alaska deserved it too so I wasn't really disappointed.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
how can you not love valentina's beret????
I don't think she's like, the BEST QUEEN EVER or anything, but she is adorable and one of the highlights this season.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That was a loving terrible lip sync and should have been a double elimination.

Also yo CLF, putting Coo-Coo into every sentence isn't funny or clever oh my god stop it. Now that you're self aware you're even worse.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Also yo CLF, putting Coo-Coo into every sentence isn't funny or clever oh my god stop it. Now that you're self aware you're even worse.

a couple times an episode is fine but as much as I love CLF it's gonna get really grating if it's every single sentence

e: Valentina is like the anti- Serena Cha Cha

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 1, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

shadow puppet of a posted:

Plus Kimora did finger-guns on "bang bang, on the door baby", I'd have sent her home for that.

Yeah holy poo poo what a dumbass.

Aphra Bane posted:

And :lol: at that entire messy cheerleading segment. I don't know if it was just the way it was shot or the choreo itself but the whole thing was weirdly confusing to watch.

It looked like it had to be stitched together from about twenty different takes. It wasn't unentertaining but yeah messy is a good word.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
No large group performance will ever be as smooth as season 6's Shade: The Rusical or the lip sync a capella challenge from last year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nemo posted:

No large group performance will ever be as smooth as season 6's Shade: The Rusical or the lip sync a capella challenge from last year.

I still don't understand how Adore didn't win that challenge. She did a way better job than Courtney.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need even closer shots of Valentina's eyebrows, they're even more fussed over than Sasha's. Her smile is uncanny valley perfect and it kind of scares me. Out of makeup, she's Cool Cat from Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

Also: I love that Jello Biafra has turned into Fred Schneider and Fred Schneider has turned into Jello Biafra.

Katya's the best because her influences are 100% outside of typical drag influences and gay culture just in general.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Yodzilla posted:

Hoooly crap this is so true, on both points.

Cucu this, cucu that, hashtag cucu, cucucucucucucucucucuucuc
We get it, what else have you got?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Nothing. Also I apologize for my misspelling of CuCu, Coo-Coo is how closed captioning spelled it and it got drilled into my head. :v:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

If that didn't merit a double elimination, I don't want to know what kind of trainwreck will.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I still don't understand how Adore didn't win that challenge. She did a way better job than Courtney.

While Adore sang her part better, Courtney was more convincing as a musical theatre character. The hair, the costume, the mannerisms were all spot on.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The only reason I can imagine is Ru felt Kimora may have more to offer as a competitor. Not watched the new Untucked yet but frankly sending Jaymes home felt like a mercy kill. She's a gracious loser and seems grateful for the opportunity, so I'd imagine she'll have steady work at least. But I agree a double elimination was in order too, Kimora's performance felt like a weekday mid-shift stripper halfway into her shift.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I really, really expected a double elimination, especially after nobody left last week.

Nihonniboku posted:

For all that the show wanted to play up a big singer rivalry, I thought it was pretty obvious that Adore is the better singer. I mean, I think it's telling that Courtney Act made no headway on Australian Idol until she re-auditioned in drag. If I were Courtney, I probably wouldn't have volunteered that part of the story.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah, honestly? Jaymes should definitely have won that lipsync. What did Kimora even do, besides swaying around a little? I understand Ru thought Jaymes wasn't up for the competition, but I reeeeaaaaalllly hope Kimora is going to be kicked off next week, because her edit this episode implies either that or an irritating villain role, and the latter would be awful imo.

loving THANK YOU! Like, Jaymes was out of her league, and shrinking into herself, but that could be corrected, especially by taking out another queen in a LSFYL. Kimora just sorta did this sort of "I took my vicodin too early but I still think I can dance" wiggle for, like, 90% of the goddamn song. She didn't win that bullshit, Jaymes lost it. Kimora seems to be 100% a body queen. She just stands there and looks pretty in someone else's dress. Getting anxiety from loving stoning...As someone with actual loving anxiety, go die in a tire fire you busted-rear end dollar store Kardashian wannabe.

Bina posted:

I know it's weird, but I feel Valentina could pull off Snatching as Micheal Jackson...

I could also totally see that being the big risk Snatch that doesn't pay off and sends an otherwise great queen packing. That said, despite the literal black turtleneck and beret, Valentina is basically doing the Violet transition speedrun for me. Took me the first half of the season or so to go from hating Violet to loving her, but Valentina pulled it off in, like, 2 episodes.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I think the goal of the Cheerleading challenge was to see which queens could sell while doing things way outside their comfort zone.

Team Valentina.

That's a good read on it, since the first episode was a lot more fluffy than the usual ep #1. I liked that no one went home, because I always feel like that's the queen that gets told they're on Drag Race, then gets to find out that actually they're not. Giving the girls an episode to find their footing is kinda nice. That said, we also didn't get that fun "here's a weird first challenge" moment that throws them out of their comfort zone. In retrospect, that makes sense, as you want to use that moment to do a little weeding.

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Not gonna lie. I like her, but I want to snatch that stupid beret off her goddamn head and scream "REAL ARTISTS WEAR STAINED FLANNEL AND TIRED EXPRESSIONS" at her. But, to be honest, I've been grouchy lately.

EDIT

And if anyone was curious what Bollywood song Aja was talking about in her Meet the Queens bit, it was "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja" from Disco Dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdJQSUcK_Y

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So has there been a weaker "first to go" performance than what we saw from Jaymes? I hope Ru shares her audition tape at some point because there was just nothing on display on Drag Race.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just watched a couple of Jaymes's YouTube videos, and holy poo poo, they are not good. She frequently squeaks as some kind of girly affectation gone wrong, and I can't stand it.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Which RuPaul song was playing during the Gaga runway?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

beepsandboops posted:

Which RuPaul song was playing during the Gaga runway?

It's a remix of "Snapshot".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmx7rtwq11s

Original Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6CMNvqt1g

(Yes, my side hustle is reference librarian, why do you ask?)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That LSFYL was meh on all levels. It's loving Love Shack for god's sake, if you can't make something fabulous out of that song what the gently caress are you doing.

I still like Nina. Sasha was less "oooh" this week for me.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Sasha wore a wig this week and looked great. I was worried she was going to just be a bald artsy queen who was too into her own brand, but she made me like her this week.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Stroop There It Is posted:

If that didn't merit a double elimination, I don't want to know what kind of trainwreck will.

Agreed, I'm now retroactively furious about Dax/Leila both going home
Eliminate them both and bring back Magnolia Crawford

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm so mad that CLF is back. I'm even more mad that I would love her if she could go more than 5 words without saying cucu

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Courtney Act's talking heads never ceased to make me lol cos she's such a nothing in Australia. She is definitely not "Australia's RuPaul" and I was quietly furious when she blamed her bitchy personality on ~Aussie culture~. gently caress off mate. Adore should have won that challenge.

I hope Cynthia goes home or proves she's worthy to be there cos drat. Stop saying cucu. >:(

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Panzer Attack posted:

Courtney Act's talking heads never ceased to make me lol cos she's such a nothing in Australia. She is definitely not "Australia's RuPaul" and I was quietly furious when she blamed her bitchy personality on ~Aussie culture~. gently caress off mate. Adore should have won that challenge.

I hope Cynthia goes home or proves she's worthy to be there cos drat. Stop saying cucu. >:(

So she isnt a household name an Australia as she claims?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Checking in as another person who thought Jaymes won that lip-sync. Even if she was only marginally better. I knew they'd both be in the bottom, but figured Kimora would be a better dancer. Instead, she was boring as hell. Love Shack is kind of a funny song, and at least Jaymes tried to put some humor in.

This is the most upset I've ever been about a first elimination. Like, I know she wasn't going to make it far, but she had way more to offer than Kimora. I'm pretty sure we've already seen all there is to Kimora. She wore the same goddamn thing last week, except black. If she wears another loving captain's cap next week, I swear to god...

*deep breath*

Oh well, at least Valentina kicked rear end this episode. I'm on board her beautiful, lacy train. Nina's still my favorite, but Valentina's too wholesome and sweet not to love.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is this the first time they've done a lsfyl where a large portion of the vocals were male? Not
counting Ru, of course.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Neither one of them won the lip sync, and even if Jaymes did slightly better, she was still pretty far behind from literally every other moment she was on the show.

I don't know what I'm missing here that make so many of you so upset that she's leaving.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Capsaicin posted:

Is this the first time they've done a lsfyl where a large portion of the vocals were male? Not
counting Ru, of course.

Bob vs Derrick's LSFYL song was entirely sung by a man. The voice itself is very feminine and high-pitched, but still. "You Make Me Feel Mighty Real", iirc.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Capsaicin posted:

counting Ru, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQzS3O0QKVM

This is a man singing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Christ, this just reminds me of how that season had a VERY strong top 3 and Bob was still leagues ahead of the other two.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

ALFbrot posted:

Neither one of them won the lip sync, and even if Jaymes did slightly better, she was still pretty far behind from literally every other moment she was on the show.

I don't know what I'm missing here that make so many of you so upset that she's leaving.

Yeahhh I mean it was a hot garbage lip sync and neither of them are going to make anywhere near top three, I don't get the theatrics. I was honestly just sitting there the whole song thinking this song is high energy poppy nonsense, DO something!

They must be saving the double elim for something more intentional or dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
What got me was Charlie in Untucked saying he needs to go learn the song. Really? I'm a straight middle-aged white guy and I'm pretty sure I know 80% of it off the top of my head.

• Locked thread