Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmm, the Windows Sonic for Headphones stuff for spatial audio seems nice. Leaves my stereo content alone and still does virtual surround on 5.1 content. My Soundblaster ZxR did it all or nothing, which was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is that something new on 10 Creators whatever?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, you can select surround virtualizers now in the CU. That Windows Sonic for Headphones stuff and Dolby Atmos. Although the Dolby stuff isn't enabled for headphones yet, just outputting to speakers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, you can select surround virtualizers now in the CU. That Windows Sonic for Headphones stuff and Dolby Atmos. Although the Dolby stuff isn't enabled for headphones yet, just outputting to speakers.

wow, its been since Vista when they ripped out the audio subsystem and replaced it with nothing

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Would this do anything for me with my Logitech 7.1 G430s?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hopefully this is spillover from the HoloLens program, because it had a bunch of great sound functionality that I'd love to see become generalized and made available for general usage, VR or not.

Knowing MS, it's some competing internal standard that will vanish up its own butthole in a year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dumb poo poo CU makes my computer crash every half day. Thing has been rocksolid for ages, now this. :|

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thank you for your QA service!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Worst of all, there aren't any symbols for the latest release on their public server, so I can't even check the memory dumps what's loving up.

And it doesn't even restart on its own after a BSOD, even though the option is enabled.

Good god, Microsoft!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Worst of all, there aren't any symbols for the latest release on their public server, so I can't even check the memory dumps what's loving up.

And it doesn't even restart on its own after a BSOD, even though the option is enabled.

Good god, Microsoft!

It's almost like you're testing a preview version or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is due April 11th. What I'm running is essential RTM and was thrown out early for catching late show stoppers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm no fan of MS but you deserve any headaches you get if you have pre-release software installed on something you rely on.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No actually, Pretzel is right, that was pretty much RTM and this kind of showstopper shouldn't be showing up right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

No actually, Pretzel is right, that was pretty much RTM and this kind of showstopper shouldn't be showing up right now.

Good thing he found it then, before it released to the real users.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

Why not? It's still unreleased. Unreleased software has bugs. Beta tested in the future. You're the beta tester, this is the future, and That's Why Microsoft Is Cool Again.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Good thing he found it then, before it released to the real users.

Yeah that part is loving hilarious because who knows if they give a poo poo to fix any feedback.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Alpha Mayo posted:

As much as I dislike Windows 10 I installed Win10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 last night and am very happy with it. Has the stupid poo poo I hated removed (Cortana, App Store/Apps, Edge) plus you can lower telemetry to Win7 levels and no automatic feature updates. Still not a fan of the Start menu but Classic Shell should solve that. Feels good to be off Windows 7.

Do you have some way of getting a legit key for it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Yeah that part is loving hilarious because who knows if they give a poo poo to fix any feedback.

They did a great job making sure the most popular webcam model in the world worked on the anniversary edition...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zero VGS posted:

the most popular webcam model in the world

Microsoft has introduced support for iPhones? :confuoot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Microsoft has introduced support for iPhones? :confuoot:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

No, but they broke support for Logitech C920, the most popular USB webcam, great work from the insider crew, you get what you pay for in this case I guess.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zero VGS posted:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

No, but they broke support for Logitech C920, the most popular USB webcam, great work from the insider crew, you get what you pay for in this case I guess.

Joking aside, yeah, that's pretty egregious. Glad my camera is too poo poo to capture 1080p. :v:

On Windows 10 and SSD booting super fast: Whenever I boot, there seems to be a short delay before network gets set up, and in that time Windows decides it couldn't reconnect my mapped network shares. I get this notification every time:

I'm not using Windows 8 fast boot, since there really is no point (Samsung 960 EVO boots in 10 seconds flat :stonk:). Is there some sort of group policy or something I could enable to force network shares to wait for a valid connection, or some such?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jan posted:

Joking aside, yeah, that's pretty egregious. Glad my camera is too poo poo to capture 1080p. :v:

On Windows 10 and SSD booting super fast: Whenever I boot, there seems to be a short delay before network gets set up, and in that time Windows decides it couldn't reconnect my mapped network shares. I get this notification every time:

I'm not using Windows 8 fast boot, since there really is no point (Samsung 960 EVO boots in 10 seconds flat :stonk:). Is there some sort of group policy or something I could enable to force network shares to wait for a valid connection, or some such?

I think you can set a local policy in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon for this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeoh posted:

I think you can set a local policy in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon for this.

If you find it, let me know. We've had that for years here at work.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I get that as well every time I boot. Also on my work laptop with an older SSD and wifi for networking.

If you wait to login/unlock your comp after it's done booting, and wait for the network notification to show connected, it seems to be ok.

Another thing you can try, manually assign all the IP information as I think it is the delay from it getting its DHCP setup that causes the delay.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, at home I just watch the little network icon in the lower right corner before hitting the Enter on my password. At work we have the GPO for "wait for network a logon" enabled or whatever it is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Waiting for network icon to be ready: Completely defeats the purpose of booting fast? :shrug:

"Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy: No go. Sounded promising but it probably doesn't do poo poo if you don't have domain controlled login.

Fixed IP: Partially fixed. I don't think this matters if the delay is from initializing the network interface rather than obtaining a DHCP lease. But that put me on the right track -- so I looked at the driver instead.

Fixed Driver Link Speed: Intel's driver, by default, waits for the link to establish and then determines what speed to use. In my case, since I know it's always going to be connected to a 100 Mbps network, I just turned off auto-negotiation and forced it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. I also set Wait for Link to Off in the advanced settings.

With those settings, the network icon was instantly ready during logon screen and I could just login right away.

Hooray for fixing minor daily annoyances. :toot:

e: vvvv

Oh, for sure, this is a personal computer fix, not a domain fix. Although if you have standardized workstations and imaging, I suppose it'd be possible to include whatever driver settings are necessary in the original image.

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No GPO for that fixed driver link speed though. Good for a one off fix though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That makes sense and I may have to try that at home.

Also my X79 board has an Intel nic as well as a Realtek one. Might just try the Realtek to see if it suffers from the same default setting and issue. Hm

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Would one of you guys on the "Creators Update RTM" (for lack of a better name) test out inotify support in Bash? I've been dying to get the Creators Update because it means development liveservers like Jekyll, create-react-app, etc... will start working as expected.

Microsoft said support for this made it into Build 14942 way back in October but I'm staying away from insider builds so I've just been waiting (im)patiently for it to come in through the upcoming update. I'm really hoping there aren't any catches to it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've had a shortcut (set to run minimized) to this bash script in my startup folder for years now:

code:
timeout /t 5 /nobreak > NUL
net use Z: \\192.168.1.x\share1 /persistent:no
net use Y: \\192.168.1.x\share2 /persistent:no  

It needs to be not persistent or it will try and reconnect on boot as usual and fail before the actual script runs

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Would one of you guys on the "Creators Update RTM" (for lack of a better name) test out inotify support in Bash? I've been dying to get the Creators Update because it means development liveservers like Jekyll, create-react-app, etc... will start working as expected.

Microsoft said support for this made it into Build 14942 way back in October but I'm staying away from insider builds so I've just been waiting (im)patiently for it to come in through the upcoming update. I'm really hoping there aren't any catches to it.

Do you have a simple-to-set-up test case? Ideally a script or a short C program to compile, without additional dependencies. I can test it when I get home.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Do home users really have applications which need drive letter paths? I just create some UNC path shortcuts in my favorites sidebar.

Disclaimer: I'm a lead engineer dealing with user-facing policy and configurations for a fortune 50 so at times drive mappings can be the bane of my existence.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word on when we can download 1703 through the Media Creation Tool? I've got a few PCs to upgrade and I'd rather not use the current workarounds.

I know there are ISOs of the Creators' Update available from Microsoft - will those put the installs onto the Insider program? Are they they final bits?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Something's off with their WDDM 2.2 poo poo. I've tracked my issues down to video and am running an NVIDIA driver version that definitely worked before, and now doesn't. At least not when you're running your computer for longer time without reboot. Boo, not cool.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Something's off with their WDDM 2.2 poo poo. I've tracked my issues down to video and am running an NVIDIA driver version that definitely worked before, and now doesn't. At least not when you're running your computer for longer time without reboot. Boo, not cool.

Yeah something weird is going on with games since the creators update. I keep getting audio dropouts - only in games - that are only resolved by disabling and enabling the sound card.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Do you have a simple-to-set-up test case? Ideally a script or a short C program to compile, without additional dependencies. I can test it when I get home.
Here's the easiest thing I can think of:

In one Bash window:
code:
$> touch ~/tail.txt
$> tail -f ~/tail.txt
Then in a separate window:

code:
$> nano ~/tail.txt
(Make some changes to the file, Ctrl+O to save, then see if the first Bash window outputs the contents of the file whenever you make a change)
I'm also curious if you can do the same thing from the Windows side of the filesystem:

In Windows:
code:
1. Create tail.txt in, for example, C:\tmp via Explorer
In Bash:
code:
$> cd /mnt/c/tmp
$> tail -f tail.txt
Back in Windows:
code:
1. Open up tail.txt in Notepad and make changes
2. Go back to Bash and see if it outputs changes to the file

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Here's the easiest thing I can think of:

Tail reports "unknown file system type 0x53464846" immediately, regardless of whether I do it in my Unix homedir, or under /mnt/c. However in /run/shm it does work.
So it appears to work on tmpfs, but not lxfs or drvfs (as reported by mount(8)). I didn't test in any directories of sysfs type, devpts type, or proc type.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any word on when we can download 1703 through the Media Creation Tool? I've got a few PCs to upgrade and I'd rather not use the current workarounds.

I know there are ISOs of the Creators' Update available from Microsoft - will those put the installs onto the Insider program? Are they they final bits?

The Media Creation Tool has now been updated to allow you to download the Creators Update (1703).

Grab the updated download tool here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hopefully the admx files for 1703 are released soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So far, I'm 2 for 3 on updates, poor little HP stream is taking it's sweet time updating :(