Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're spec cars and are designed to look "cool". They even said the new front wing this year with the weird curves were purely for aesthetic reasons.

Let the manufacturers design weird looking cars like that Newey Red Bull thing and I'll be happy, but these are just bog-standard electric open-wheelers playing dress-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Car looks cool, but it's a concept so the chances of the real car actually looking like that are roughly zero.

Also, the god drat winter break is over and we're gonna get some god drat racing this weekend as it's Buenos Aires. Easily one of the best tracks of the season, though Buemi almost pulled off an insane last-to-first drive last year.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Schedule for this weekend, times are GMT-3

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I love that they broadcast all the sessions on youtube (provided you can VPN out into a country that it's not geoblocked in, using India right now). Watching these guys figure out the track, and finding the limits, with decent commentary, gives you a great picture of how the whole race develops.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
t-t-t-triple post

JML's quali lap was bullshit. He screwed up everyone else's session to bring a broken car into 19th position on the grid. If I was race control I'd delete that lap.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I liked that one race engineer who called Ma Qing Hua a clown.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Alguersuari on Channel 5. I saw he deleted his main Twitter account, thought that meant he was going It's Just Squire full time, but I guess he still has a little E in him

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Hah, I woke up late. Sounds like I missed an interesting qualifying. Grabbing breakfast and running back home to hopefully catch the first turn in time

For some reason it's missing from Fox Sports Go today, but I found a stream link on Reddit. Think it's just a glitch on Fox Sports's end

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

HJB posted:

Alguersuari on Channel 5. I saw he deleted his main Twitter account, thought that meant he was going It's Just Squire full time, but I guess he still has a little E in him

More likely to be poppers than E

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Spicy.

I'm glad the good commentator is back.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

we almost saw a robot kill a dog today

https://twitter.com/roborace/status/833030665608249349

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:stare: that pit release

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That Swiss national anthem remix though

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

More like Sebastien Bore-me.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Any series dominated by Sebastien Buemi is a joke, I'm afraid

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Here's a thing, Dallara have seemingly made a Formula E2 car independent of the main series. 160bhp as a low power output up to 270bhp that Formula E uses so it seems closer to Formula 3 than 2 but building a ladder early is probably the best way to go given how different FE cars are to drive with the insane torque that comes from a single or 2-speed electric motor. Will apparently have swappable batteries too so no car swapping.

Formulino E is a dumb name though, even if it is a Dallara line.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

Will apparently have swappable batteries too so no car swapping.

If a pitcrew can just hot-swap the battery pack in a few seconds during a pitstop like a tyre change then holy poo poo.

That car is disappointingly conventional though, I did like the way the Formula E cars deliberately went away from a generic open-wheel look.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 15, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If a pitcrew can just hot-swap the battery pack in a few seconds during a pitstop like a tyre change then holy poo poo.

Back in the 90s, they had Formula Lightning in the U.S. that had battery-swap pit stops. The teams were university students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qjJWFRrlI&t=280s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

That car is disappointingly conventional though, I did like the way the Formula E cars deliberately went away from a generic open-wheel look.

There's also talk of a quick charge function, which would effectively make it the same as refuelling. I like the look, it looks like a Formula 4 car (which I already like) but has the same flowing curviness that you see in a lot of current electric car design.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The next race is Saturday April 1 in Mexico City!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4jItsw7L0

The cool site that used to list Formula E times is gone apparently, so here's the timetable in Eastern Daylight Time (add +4 hours for GMT, -2 hours for local):

10am - Free Practice 1
12:30pm - Free Practice 2
2pm - Qualifying
6pm - Race

Check your local TV schedule here for additional help with local times. Also, for us Americans, the qualifying broadcast will be delaying until 4:30 on Fox Sports 2, so you might wanna stay outta the thread to avoid spoilers (or, more likely, just find a bootleg stream).

If you missed Buenos Aires, here's the 50 minute version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDrQGI_j25k

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not much between race news other than Techeetah have replaced Ma with 2-time F1 reject Esteban Gutierrez.

Hopefully we have another race like last year's hilarious shitshow where Buemi was having a complete meltdown over not being able to pass Jerome D'Ambrosio, cut a chicane to pass him and when told to give the position back had his teammate block every time he was told to let Jerome through.

Then Jerome won anyway because Di Grassi failed tech and got DQ'd.

E: Here's a fun added complication for the weekend, Buemi is making a 16 hour trip from Italy to Mexico after being at the Toyota WEC launch on Friday. He's not going to be in Mexico until 4 hours before FP1 starts.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 31, 2017

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish this was true:
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/april/formula-e-to-trial-new-emoji-steering-wheel/

quote:

The new dash has been fitted to one development version of the standard Formula E steering wheel, with the process of determining which driver gets to try the new wheel decided by the reverse order of the latest FanBoost standings.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Buemi looks pissed

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hey today's race might not be a Buemi runaway after all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only channel this is on here is the french sports channel which is bullshit.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Watching mexico because god this track looks awful.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've never watched a Formula E race OR seen Fox Sports' generic video intro, so I can now say I've done those two things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just seen the quali highlights and fun to see ABT are still trying to cheat like hell at Mexico.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Buemi hosed up his pit stop!!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Buemi used some bad words after that :lol:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
AAAAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT BUEMI

Spins under FanBoost

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Di Grassi and D'Ambrosio are loving everyone in that stadium section.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Two laps too soon

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Those last 5-10 laps were great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

UK TV literally cut to an ad break 5 seconds after Di Grassi crossed the line.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

Those last 5-10 laps were great.

holy poo poo yeah it was. imma have to watch that again

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

UK TV literally cut to an ad break 5 seconds after Di Grassi crossed the line.

I don't think it was that long. Everything channel 5 has ever touched is utterly dreadful.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Channel 5 looks like they're literally broadcasting from a basement closet. Just two people squashed together on stools with a single camera, tv and a blue curtain.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well that was hilarious as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hi Paris Hilton?

• Locked thread