Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Had a nice recipe for a Hungarian mushroom soup. The final step was to stir in sour cream. I generally substitute plain yogurt for sour cream, so I bought an individual-sized container of it.

So at the end, I dumped in the yogurt, proceeded to lick the lid of the container, and too late realized I had bought Vanilla on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Did you drink the soup anyway? How was it?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I have had a hard time finding single serve containers of yogurt with no flavor. I usually use vanilla. It works fine.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

the littlest prince posted:

I have had a hard time finding single serve containers of yogurt with no flavor. I usually use vanilla. It works fine.

I've never used plain regular yogurt, but I do use lots of Greek yogurt, which is really easy to find plain.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

redweird posted:

Not mine but i was involved: housemate came home one night super belted and put some pasta on the stove to boil. Went upstairs to her room but on the way back to the kitchen fell down the stairs, concussed herself and passed out on the couch. I woke up to the fire alarm and had no idea what was going on, having also had a big night myself. Luckily my girlfriend was able to sort it out and we lived. We all lived. The pot is hosed though.
That reminds me of my 3rd-year-university roommate, who we'll call Matt. He was a super-studious guy, always trying very very hard for that A+ but he lacked a certain amount of self control. He'd spend hours in front of the TV because he'd forget to go to his room and study / go to bed / call his girlfriend. One evening I came home a bit late, around 9:00pm, coincidentally at the same time as the third housemate; we'll call her Lucy. None of us had been drinking enough to impair our normal judgement. As we walked in, Matt was in the living room, the first room off the long hallway that ran up the middle of our basement home, glued to the TV. Lucy asked "What smells like burning?" and both Matt and I kind of shrugged. Then Matt's eyes bugged out and he ran to the kitchen.

Three hours earlier he'd put a pot of water on to boil for pasta - no pasta yet, just the water. All of the water had boiled off, and the cheap Teflon-like coating on the bottom of the pot was now a fine light blue powder, completely separated from the underlying metal. That went into the sink while Lucy and I laughed at / shouted at Matt. The next day, I wiped my finger through the blue dust and Lucy freaked out at me because apparently that stuff is horribly bad for you if you ingest or inhale it. The pot and its damage went away, despite the amazingly clean metal surface on the inside bottom.

About a week later he bought me a new pot, much nicer than the one he'd destroyed. His GF was amazed when he told her I was happy with the new pot - "You made the monster HAPPY?". She didn't have a high opinion of me, either.

Unrelated, but when we left that apartment and were cleaning everything out, I discovered a bowl of carrots that had been placed on the top edge of the stove after the carrots had been cooked. Lucy wasn't much better at this stuff than either Matt or I was, and she hadn't noticed when it had fallen behind the stove, and forgot she'd even been cooking carrots when the rest of her dinner was done. That was about 6 months prior to the cleanup and move-out. 6-month-old cooked carrots turn into a sludge very reminiscent of molasses, with bright orange chunks.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

Fage 0% unflavored is usually 1.50-2 here in the states.

Edit: I thought this was the fitness thread I'm an idiot.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The dust is inert afaik and passes right through you. The Bad Stuff was the gas produced when he burned it to dust, which will kill your pets, babies, and elderly. Birds go the fastest. The liquid form is also pretty bad but you only get it downstream from production facilities; there's no way to re-liquify it after it's applied and set.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So the other day I cooked a steak and tried to make a sauce for it by deglazing the pan with red wine. Well, it immediately started hissing and bubbling and smelling real strongly like wine, but eventually it reduced to this dark thick stuff that was almost burned-colored but tasted good----but I only got a small dribble of it; a lot of it boiled away as I was pouring it over. How can I prevent this next time?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Astrofig posted:

So the other day I cooked a steak and tried to make a sauce for it by deglazing the pan with red wine. Well, it immediately started hissing and bubbling and smelling real strongly like wine, but eventually it reduced to this dark thick stuff that was almost burned-colored but tasted good----but I only got a small dribble of it; a lot of it boiled away as I was pouring it over. How can I prevent this next time?

Reduce it less? That sounds like a textbook wine sauce, you just that you overreduced it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm willing to bet that you didn't turn the heat down, or if you did you didn't let the pan cool off.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Astrofig posted:

After it turns dark and thick, add some stock then let it get dark and thick again then add a knob of butter and stir it in.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Could this be the oldest known cooking cock-up?

quote:

A moment of carelessness, 3,000 years ago has given Danish archaeologists an unexpected gift.

A clay pot unearthed during an archaeological excavation in central Jutland, Denmark, contains the possible remains of a failed attempt of cheese making.

Something went wrong during the process and the cheese maker most likely threw the pot away into the street, only to show up again thousands of years later.

The discovery of the pot with its burnt remains casts light into the everyday life of Bronze Age people, 3,000 years ago.

“I cannot help but wonder if someone had a guilty conscience. It’s well and truly burnt and must have smelt terrible,” says Rasmussen, who ponders what family dramas came from the burnt pot.

“Were there any hard feelings over the missing cheese? Perhaps there was a little family drama? You can almost imagine how quickly he must have acted to get rid of that pot!”

http://sciencenordic.com/burnt-cheese-casts-light-3000-year-old-family-drama

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

poop dood posted:

I'm willing to bet that you didn't turn the heat down, or if you did you didn't let the pan cool off.

Got it in one; it happened so fast I had no time. Should I have used a lower heat setting, maybe, so the reduction happened slower and less boiled out?

Psychobabble posted:

After it turns dark and thick, add some stock then let it get dark and thick again then add a knob of butter and stir it in.

Sounds righteous; noted. Thanks!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Astrofig posted:

Got it in one; it happened so fast I had no time. Should I have used a lower heat setting, maybe, so the reduction happened slower and less boiled out?

Precisely, yes. Pull the meat out of the pan, turn the heat down, wait a minute for the pan to cool a bit, then get to work on your sauce.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

LadyPictureShow posted:

Had a nice recipe for a Hungarian mushroom soup. The final step was to stir in sour cream. I generally substitute plain yogurt for sour cream, so I bought an individual-sized container of it.

So at the end, I dumped in the yogurt, proceeded to lick the lid of the container, and too late realized I had bought Vanilla on accident.

Stir a bit of flour into the sour cream and then put it in just at the end; still on the boil. Without the flour, it will curdle. Just be judicious. Don't substitute yogurt for Hungarian food. Use Daisy sour cream. It will always answer.

Use about 10 times as much Paprika as you would think. I mean like a quarter cup for a regular meal for four with leftovers. Serve with pickled paprika as a side. Don't forget Vegeta. I make an Einbrenn when I make Chicken Paprikas and I let it catch on just like you would with a gumbo. Flour and absurd amounts of Paprika. My father disagrees but I'm right and he's wrong.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6oy84e/key-and-peele-macedonian-cafe

Paprika. Szeged.

Paprika.

Did I mention Paprika.

Paprika.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I made meatballs today and I was like "man the last batch I tried (going exactly as recipe said) were a bit crumbly, I want them a bit more firm" and instead of looking it up tossed in about half a slice more worth of breadcrumbs because for some reason I thought that was what kept the balls together.

this meat stew is still pretty good

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
dear loving lord I just slipped in the kitchen while holding a baking dish full of FIFTEEN EGGS' WORTH of unset quiche filling

I only spilled a little bit, somehow, but mother of gently caress my ears are burning and I was actually gasping for air from such a close call.

holy balls

I need a hug. :stare:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Try not to crack from pressure. You wouldn't have to shell out that much for cleaning the floor after that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

Try not to crack from pressure. You wouldn't have to shell out that much for cleaning the floor after that.

Yeah but the scramble to redo the filling would not be eggcelent.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
You might say the yolk would be on her.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can we stop beating this?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
That's it, I am going back in my shell again. I was willing to post, and you all just whipped it right out of me.

mozman
Nov 3, 2010
I've lived in my current house for a year now. All my previous places had a separate oven and grill, whereas my current is all in one. Even after reading the manual back to front a dozen times, I just found out I have been cooking with the grill and fan, not the actual fan forced oven setting. I was always wondering why I had to put everything so low in the oven to stop it from burning.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

mozman posted:

I've lived in my current house for a year now. All my previous places had a separate oven and grill, whereas my current is all in one. Even after reading the manual back to front a dozen times, I just found out I have been cooking with the grill and fan, not the actual fan forced oven setting. I was always wondering why I had to put everything so low in the oven to stop it from burning.
You had the opposite problem I had in an apartment I lived in about 10 years ago. For the first year I was there I couldn't really use the oven (again, an all-in-one setup) because it never seemed to get anywhere near the set temperature. I pulled the elements out and took them to an appliance-repair place and the guy there very politely explained how my oven worked - he recognized the make and model of my oven just from the element I was holding. The stupid timer was ALWAYS active, to use the oven I had to set the timer - usually to something like "start in zero minutes and hold temperature for 12 hours" before it would work. The only thing I'd been able to do previously was the upper broiling element, which won't actually heat up the whole oven evenly and just burn anything close to it while leaving a pizza on a lower rack frozen.

My family has a cottage in eastern Ontario and the stove/oven there must be at least 30 years old. There's something wrong with its timer, too, it buzzes loudly the entire time it's at the set temperature. The next time I have $500 sitting around (ha!) I'll throw that relic away.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's not a double post if it's months later.

A few nights ago I decided to use my cast iron pan to cook turkey. I had a bone-in turkey breast in my freezer that had been there for a long time and I thought it was time to use it. I moved it to the fridge to defrost on Sunday evening, and Monday when I got home from work I got started. The turkey was still frozen so I put it in the microwave, and then started chopping vegetables (carrots, onions, potatoes) and found a recipe online so I could bread the breast without too much or too little flour.

The recipe I found had me melting a lot of butter in the pan and that wasn't ready to go when the bird came out of the microwave, so I set up the breading mixture - flour, black pepper, the last of the dry ground chipotle I had, and a bit of salt - and then picked up the turkey breast.

Not a turkey breast. I had, sometime in the past several months, frozen 2 large-ish fish fillets - what species, I don't remember, but it was white and fairly firm - and when I'd put them in the bag I'd folded them together in a way that looks *kinda* like a bone-in turkey breast, especially when covered in recrystalized ice in a fogged-up bag.

Oh well. Dredged through the flour mix, then into the pan for 5 minutes a side. Following that recipe, I pulled the fish out and deglazed the pan with a mixture of white wine and chicken broth, after making a bit of (sloppy) roux with some flour in the remaining butter. Then the fish goes back in along with the chopped veg, and into the oven at 400. The recipe (for chicken) suggested 20-30 minutes in the oven would be enough, but I gave up after 45 and just ate the still-a-bit-crunchy potatoes. The fish more-or-less fell apart, but the onions and carrots were pretty good. And it turns out fish cooked in chicken stuff is actually pretty tasty.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ExecuDork posted:

The fish more-or-less fell apart, but the onions and carrots were pretty good. And it turns out fish cooked in chicken stuff is actually pretty tasty.

I'd call this more a cooking success given the protein mix-up. You made the best out of what you had.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

You made the best out of what you had.

The essence of cooking.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2017/04/01/april-fools-in-the-kitchen-2/

Some high quality disiasters in here.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I recently went to the grocery store to pick up some supplies for oyakodon since I wanted to try something new and the serious eats recipe seemed really easy. The recipe calls for 1 cup of dashi, and says you can use hondashi to make it. While at the store I missed the fact that hondashi is stock that you add to water to make dashi, so I bought 4 containers of hondashi to fill up a measuring cup as per the recipe. I realized my error when I got back home, and promptly hid the receipt + containers from my wife so I don't have to explain why I just bought $20 worth of fish stock that is used a teaspoon at a time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My younger brother had some kind of devil's cookbook that contained a recipe for crock-pot pizza. It called for Bisquick dough as the crust.

He doesn't use that cookbook anymore. Smelled pretty nice, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Democratic Pirate posted:

I recently went to the grocery store to pick up some supplies for oyakodon since I wanted to try something new and the serious eats recipe seemed really easy. The recipe calls for 1 cup of dashi, and says you can use hondashi to make it. While at the store I missed the fact that hondashi is stock that you add to water to make dashi, so I bought 4 containers of hondashi to fill up a measuring cup as per the recipe. I realized my error when I got back home, and promptly hid the receipt + containers from my wife so I don't have to explain why I just bought $20 worth of fish stock that is used a teaspoon at a time.

I think that's also one of those things that has a shelf life of 'next epoch' if stored in a cool dry place.

Unlike pie filling. Yeesh. That was a waste of a cracker crust.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Conversation just had:
"What did we learn this evening?"
"... a mixture of cumin, garlic, seasoning salt, powdered ginger and sesame oil has no business being considered Asian in flavour."
"Very good. And?"
"Soy sauce doesn't caramelize, it burns."
"Good. Now throw that out, I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

I am very glad that you caught yourself BEFORE pouring a full cup of dashi powder in there!

As long as it's kept in a dry place (as someone already said) and you keep it sealed, powdered dashi will stay good for a long time. You've just made a INVESTMENT, my friend, not a mistake.

Sehkmet posted:

Conversation just had:
"What did we learn this evening?"
"... a mixture of cumin, garlic, seasoning salt, powdered ginger and sesame oil has no business being considered Asian in flavour."
"Very good. And?"
"Soy sauce doesn't caramelize, it burns."
"Good. Now throw that out, I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich."

Please tell me this was a conversation with a child.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please tell me this was a conversation with a child.

Husband. :sigh:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sehkmet posted:

Husband. :sigh:

Oh, dear.

If it helps, my husband made his very first pan of scrambled eggs last month and immediately had to throw the finished product away because he forgot to wash the chicken poop-covered eggs. Also once he fed me raw pumpkin with taco seasoning. He's the best otherwise! :kimchi:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ladiesssssssssssssssss :smug: how ya doin

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
waiiiit a second, dashi powder?? washing eggs? I uhhhh, left my oven on... g2g :horse:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If it helps, my husband made his very first pan of scrambled eggs last month and immediately had to throw the finished product away because he forgot to wash the chicken poop-covered eggs.
Huh? Did he collect these eggs himself? Why were they covered with sufficient poop to require tossing the cooked insides of those eggs yet not at least rinsed? I'm trying to picture picking up an egg that's got dried chicken poo poo flaking off of it and just cracking that sucker - too hard, with bits of shell going everywhere - into a pan. :psyduck:

I mean, how big was this particular fuckup?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ExecuDork posted:

Huh? Did he collect these eggs himself? Why were they covered with sufficient poop to require tossing the cooked insides of those eggs yet not at least rinsed? I'm trying to picture picking up an egg that's got dried chicken poo poo flaking off of it and just cracking that sucker - too hard, with bits of shell going everywhere - into a pan. :psyduck:

I mean, how big was this particular fuckup?

Eggs in the US are washed before they're sent to market for sale, USDA requires it. Other parts of the world don't do it. This process is also responsible for why we have to refrigerate our eggs in the US, whereas unwashed eggs can sit on a counter (although chilling eggs does increase their lifespan).

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

quote:

By 1970, the U.S. Department of Agriculture had perfected the art of the wash with the help of fancy machines, and it required all egg producers to do it. Meanwhile, many European countries were prohibiting washing, and Asian countries never got on board with it. The exception was Japan, which joined the egg-washers after a bad spate of salmonella in the 1990s.

So what's the deal with washing and refrigeration? Soon after eggs pop out of the chicken, American producers put them straight to a machine that shampoos them with soap and hot water. The steamy shower leaves the shells squeaky clean. But it also compromises them, by washing away a barely visible sheen that naturally envelops each egg.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, I knew all that - I'm in Canada so I get to watch the arguments fly past each other on their way across the Atlantic.

And that's why I asked if the husband here had collected the eggs himself, i.e. stuck his hand under a chicken in the back yard or at the neighbour's farm or whatever.

How much filth does there have to be visibly stuck to an egg shell that the inside of the egg is declared inedible?