Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, a fair number haven't gotten that decent split, so it's not guaranteed this time either. Chaos got two pure melee and another mostly melee. Wood Elves got two combat-oriented with some special abilities. And the initial caster option for Orcs is a serious joke since he doesn't even unlock the caster option until somewhere over level 10.

So really, only two(out of five) of the starting races got a real melee/caster split - Empire and Vampire Counts. And the Vampire Counts somewhat cheat anyways since all the Vampire LLs have significant magic too.

fair enough, but i don't think any of them have had two wizards and everyone's apparent favorite for second (ikit claw) is a wizard so

e: if their other LL isn't a pestilens dude then i'm going to bet on it being queek headtaker

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Korgan posted:

We ain't getting the ogre or chaos dwarf lands in this update. :(

My favorite part of this map is it doesn't even show the south lands

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just had a big fight with Orion and his wood elves as Mohgur the Shadowgave. Who is now super awesome in my opinion.

Orion's forces outplayed me pretty well and devastated my entire army. With me only being able to do light damage in return. Then Mohgur shows why the wood elves fear him. As he proceed to defeat the entire wood elf army and force them to flee on his own. The rest of my forces having retreated or too beat up to fight anymore. I had not even gotten his staff yet.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Aurubin posted:

To be fair, they trip at the finish line because Mannfred von Carstein stabs Balthasar Gelt in the back while he was helping with their ritual, mucking it all up. Another reason to hate Mannfred aside, the nerd rumor mill says that it was originally supposed to be Thanquol, but they forgot to write him in and picked a character that was present at the final battle.

Not having read the Gortek and Felix books, I'm assuming this is in keeping with his bumbling nature; not even able to do the apocalypse right.

from what I hear, yeah its totally in line with his characterization. it'd also have tied in to an unresolved plot element: one incident in his own book series was that Thanquol was dicking around in Lustria and wound up in the targeting sights of a Slann. Thanquol didn't actually see the frog wizard, he just felt his presence, went "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" and started booking it. The slann prepared to annihilate him with a thought, then saw Thanquol's fate, that he was going to bring ruin to the Skaven, and instead gave him a little magical shove to send him off safely.

He also once murdered an old lady because he hosed up a teleport spell and landed in her house and her cat freaked him out too much.

Ze Pollack posted:

Got it in one. Also, they're still a very squishy chassis

that and its an extra four points a model aka you're trading two slaves for +1ws/+1s on a T3/heavy armor model. If you do that you may as well throw a warlock with skavenbrew in with the unit and hope you get some extra attacks from it to go hog wild (75 points). If you're feeling ultra inefficent and lucky, you can also throw a screaming bell nearby and also hope that gives extra attacks. In ideal circumstances, you can get them to have four attacks, or you can just, you know, get your bell blown up and your overpriced murder rats blown up by something actually elite.

The real big issue is that the extra cost per model is already on top of the 215 point cost of Queek himself., compared to just taking along a standard Warlord for 90 points. Queek gets some stuff in comparison (straight up ignores armor, nice armor, +1ws, +2 attacks), but you gotta ask if he's really taking in lieu of just grabbing 60 skavenslaves as a tarpit. It is a fun thought, though, to get dudes from the race that is known for having a questionable time when fighting goblins to get drunk and kick the poo poo out of Chaos Warriors.

I think its kind of funny that people are worried about skaven just loading up on elite units instead of using chaff without some kind of recruitment restriction gimmick, since on the TT skavenslaves were some of the most utterly overpowered units in the game. They were hands down some of the most absolute dogshit soldiers you could field, but they were so loving cheap that all the enemy elite units and deathballs would get stuck trying to hack their way through them for ages. On top of that, unlike in Total War, you can't fire into combat at all in the tabletop game, unless you're skaven and your "friendly" unit in the fight is just skavenslaves. And on top of that, other skaven don't care if the slaves rout. And on top of that if the slaves do rout, they "explode" and deal hits on all units near them as a final "gently caress you". So not only is that elite unit stuck drowning in slave corpses, but they're also being shot, flamed, blown up, and generally abused by the various skaven weapon teams hanging around them. It was complete bullshit and skaven were one of the most complained about races to go against due to those fuckin slaves. So Queek and his elite stormvermin shenanigans, although amusing, end up looking weak in comparison to the power that simply having another huge mass of expendable tarpits can bring you. Good way to save real money on models, I guess, tho.

e: Also pushing for Skabbicus as surprise skaven LL choice

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tiler Kiwi posted:

from what I hear, yeah its totally in line with his characterization. it'd also have tied in to an unresolved plot element: one incident in his own book series was that Thanquol was dicking around in Lustria and wound up in the targeting sights of a Slann. Thanquol didn't actually see the frog wizard, he just felt his presence, went "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" and started booking it. The slann prepared to annihilate him with a thought, then saw Thanquol's fate, that he was going to bring ruin to the Skaven, and instead gave him a little magical shove to send him off safely.

He also once murdered an old lady because he hosed up a teleport spell and landed in her house and her cat freaked him out too much.

Thanquol is however very powerful despite his incompetence.

This could best be shown in his summoning powers. When he summoned Skarband one of the most powerful of Khorne's greater demons. Summoning a normal bloodthrister let alone a really powerful one like Skarband requires a ton of living sacrifices and preparation, even then the summoners (As there are usually multiple) usually still can't handle the strain and their heads explode or something. Thanquol's did use any sacrifices or preparation time, nor did he face any side effects from the summoning. He kind of just casually did the summon.

Were Thanquol's incompetence comes in however is that he was not trying to summon a super powerful bloodthirster, he was trying to summon one his gods daemons a verminlord. (Which are weaker then normal bloodthirsters from what I can tell.) Yet somehow he summoned an entirely different type of daemon from a different god. Who proceeds to attack both his forces and the dwarfs they were fighting. (mainly his forces) While Thanquol casualy (but quickly) walks away from the battle.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think its kind of funny that people are worried about skaven just loading up on elite units instead of using chaff without some kind of recruitment restriction gimmick, since on the TT skavenslaves were some of the most utterly overpowered units in the game. They were hands down some of the most absolute dogshit soldiers you could field, but they were so loving cheap that all the enemy elite units and deathballs would get stuck trying to hack their way through them for ages. On top of that, unlike in Total War, you can't fire into combat at all in the tabletop game, unless you're skaven and your "friendly" unit in the fight is just skavenslaves. And on top of that, other skaven don't care if the slaves rout. And on top of that if the slaves do rout, they "explode" and deal hits on all units near them as a final "gently caress you". So not only is that elite unit stuck drowning in slave corpses, but they're also being shot, flamed, blown up, and generally abused by the various skaven weapon teams hanging around them. It was complete bullshit and skaven were one of the most complained about races to go against due to those fuckin slaves. So Queek and his elite stormvermin shenanigans, although amusing, end up looking weak in comparison to the power that simply having another huge mass of expendable tarpits can bring you. Good way to save real money on models, I guess, tho.

e: Also pushing for Skabbicus as surprise skaven LL choice

Appearntly they were once the cheapest units to field in any wargame for a time costing a fraction of a point.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thanquol is however very powerful despite his incompetence.

This could best be shown in his summoning powers. When he summoned Skarband one of the most powerful of Khorne's greater demons. Summoning a normal bloodthrister let alone a really powerful one like Skarband requires a ton of living sacrifices and preparation, even then the summoners (As there are usually multiple) usually still can't handle the strain and their heads explode or something. Thanquol's did use any sacrifices or preparation time, nor did he face any side effects from the summoning. He kind of just casually did the summon.

Were Thanquol's incompetence comes in however is that he was not trying to summon a super powerful bloodthirster, he was trying to summon one his gods daemons a verminlord. (Which are weaker then normal bloodthirsters from what I can tell.) Yet somehow he summoned an entirely different type of daemon from a different god. Who proceeds to attack both his forces and the dwarfs they were fighting. (mainly his forces) While Thanquol casualy (but quickly) walks away from the battle.

Appearntly they were once the cheapest units to field in any wargame for a time costing a fraction of a point.

Yeah, Thanquol is very powerful and pretty smart. He's also unusually good at manipulating non-Skaven. Its just, as with most Skaven, his paranoia tends to go into overdrive and he ends up loving up his own plans by assassinating his allies (who, to be fair, are usually trying to kill him too) or he gets cocky and other Skaven sabotage him.

In pure one on one settings though he can absolutely go toe to toe with almost any mage in the world in terms of magical power. He's just usually cowardly enough that he doesn't stand and fight.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Third World Reggin posted:

My favorite part of this map is it doesn't even show the south lands

I don't know much of the warhammer fantasy lore (especially geography wise), but isn't the south lands the area shown as TOMB KINGS?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, Thanquol is very powerful and pretty smart. He's also unusually good at manipulating non-Skaven. Its just, as with most Skaven, his paranoia tends to go into overdrive and he ends up loving up his own plans by assassinating his allies (who, to be fair, are usually trying to kill him too) or he gets cocky and other Skaven sabotage him.

In pure one on one settings though he can absolutely go toe to toe with almost any mage in the world in terms of magical power. He's just usually cowardly enough that he doesn't stand and fight.

More that he gets cocky, undermines his allies, and then when they fail due to his casual petty sabotage he assumes they're part of a conspiracy arrayed against him.

e: More fun Thanquol stuff: He's very lucky, which is part of his basis for his uncanny ability to survive complete disasters. So lucky, that everyone around him becomes very unlucky. So if someone takes a shot at him, he has the tendency to suddenly think his whiskers are following him and flail about his head in an attempt to shake them off, causing the shot to instead hit some poor bastard behind him. Or he suddenly sneezes and knocks someone into it. Or he stands perfectly still and a knife thrown at him deflects the shot into someone else ten feet away. And so on and so forth. This is represented by Thanquol having a fairly high ward save (4+), but for every wound saved by this, a friendly unit nearby takes the hit instead.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tiler Kiwi posted:

More that he gets cocky, undermines his allies, and then when they fail due to his casual petty sabotage he assumes they're part of a conspiracy arrayed against him.

Yeah, I love his books series because the writer really got the joke of the character and plays with it in a lot of fun ways.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Skaven don't really act against Grey Seers as they can't replace them. (No Horns or grey fur.) Only other grey seers plot against them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Captain Beans posted:

I don't know much of the warhammer fantasy lore (especially geography wise), but isn't the south lands the area shown as TOMB KINGS?

No that's Nehekhara aka the Land of the Dead. The Southlands is south of that. Nehekhara is fantasy North Africa(ish), the Southlands is sub-Saharan Africa.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I know that they try really hard to allow for each faction/race to be able to fight any other faction/race in the lore. Does that mean there's an actual explanation as to why tomb kings would ever fight, say, bretonnia? Like, I know that there are people looking to loot their poo poo, but Tomb Kings aren't launching crusades into the Reikland or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jokes posted:

I know that they try really hard to allow for each faction/race to be able to fight any other faction/race in the lore. Does that mean there's an actual explanation as to why tomb kings would ever fight, say, bretonnia? Like, I know that there are people looking to loot their poo poo, but Tomb Kings aren't launching crusades into the Reikland or something.

They do actually march to war to recover stolen poo poo, it's just that Settra commanded them to stay put and avoid contact with other races most of the time unless to repel invaders or take relics back. I suppose the lore also allows for Tomb Kings to prefer clandestine methods first.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Also Settra is building up an army to go conquer the world, cause that's his divine right damnit! In fact, I remember reading that during one of Settra's expeditions a particularly stalwart Bretonnian naval commander threw back a Tomb Kings assault. Settra waited for him to die of old age, then recruited his spirit for his army.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dope. Do elfs give a poo poo about Tomb Kings? Like, why would a wood elf do anything at all with the tomb kings?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really hope they'll put enough effort into the mega campaign to make sure that all races would have a reason to fight the other races. There isn't really any point if you are playing as Empire and still only fight other Imperials and Chaos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kainser posted:

I really hope they'll put enough effort into the mega campaign to make sure that all races would have a reason to fight the other races. There isn't really any point if you are playing as Empire and still only fight other Imperials and Chaos.

Well there are Skaven right under you so you will probably fight them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kainser posted:

I mean, since Skarsnickt, Beastmen, Brets and Welves dropped I don't think anyone's complaints about Empire is only fighting Empire/Chaos.

Vampires only really fighting Chaos and Empire is probably more of a thing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
More fun stuff that hasn't really been talked about, by the by, is the three different types of "alliances" there are. Well, mainly there are two, and then a neutral one.

Order: "Builders, not destroyers. (...) want prosperity and peace for their peoples" High Elves, Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Brettonia, Empire, Lizardmen
Destruction: "seek only to topple civilization, (...) they leaves only destruction and carnage in their wake" Skaven, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves, Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins
Non aligned: blah blah blah they go both ways. Ogre Kingdoms, Tomb Kings

Where this comes up is if you wanna do team battles. See, GW is dumb as gently caress and so can't just have a normal team battle rules or something, but instead throws aside balance in the name of lore and verisimilitude. It is infinity worse and dumber in 40k for various reasons, but even in fantasy its generally dumb and arbitrary and doesn't actually match the lore all that well. In short, same alliance forces are "Trusted Allies" and get to share bonuses like other generals leadership bonuses and friendly spells. Suspicious Allies are any force allied with one of the neutral armies and they don't get to use leadership buffs, can't have characters join units. Desperate Allies are when you pair Order with Destruction and they don't consider each other "friendly" when it comes to spells and some other penalties, but also don't get any panic tests when allies eat poo poo.

Where it becomes relevant for the next game is that Dark Elves and Skaven both have a special rule, where even if they're allied with another force of Destruction or with a non-aligned, that at the start of every allied player's turn, they have a 50% shot to cause the alliance to become one step worse (Trusted -> Suspicious -> Desperate). Desperate just stays desperate.

Its all very silly and CA has implemented none of it so far, but it does serve as a fun way to show how both Dark Elves and Skaven are generally seen as untrustworthy shits by everyone. I'd expect their Animosity diplomacy malus with basically everyone to be kind of high.

jokes posted:

Dope. Do elfs give a poo poo about Tomb Kings? Like, why would a wood elf do anything at all with the tomb kings?

Taking a strong stand against desertification?

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 2, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Everyone raids Nehekaran tombs so Tomb Kings have a reason to pick a fight with everybody. Besides, the whole world is Settra's anyway.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My question is how many turns will it take the factions on the other continent to sail to the old world to randomly raze a empire city after declaring war out of the blue?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My question is how many turns will it take the factions on the other continent to sail to the old world to randomly raze a empire city after declaring war out of the blue?

I do wonder about this, because sea travel is painfully slow for some reason.

As for the Tomb Kings, I really hope the objective if you play as Settra is to conquer the whole drat map.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

jokes posted:

To add to what others have mentioned, during the Cusades against Araby, Bretonnia's beloved Duke Cheldric was assassinated by Prince Apophas, a humanoid swarm of flesh eating scarabs with a skull who is the personal assassin of the Nehekharan death god. This led to a bunch of angry spinoff crusades into Nehekhara to seek vengeance.

One of these secondary crusades successfully recovered Duke Cheldric's body, hauled it back to Bretonnia, and paraded it around the country in celebration. Some zealous battle pilgrims even made a grail reliquae out of it and carried it into several battles. The body turned out to actually be the slumbering king Amanhotep the Intolerant, who butchered several peasant villages in the process of footslogging back to his city Zandri.

Amanhotep later featured in Dreadfleet piloting a barge with a pyramid built on it that was pulled around by giant animated statues and shot solar lasers.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 2, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ok, so what glories plan that failed was Thanquol's during the End Times god these stories get worse every time I hear a new part of it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Zore posted:

Thanquol I see as being like Dick Dastardly, who can easily get miles ahead of the other racers and rather then just finishing the race stops to gently caress over the others and fails miserably and loses.

Captain Beans posted:

The Land of the Dead is the Tomb King area. Southlands is home to Lizardmen, Greenskins, Beastmen and primitive Men.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Comstar posted:

Ok, so what glories plan that failed was Thanquol's during the End Times god these stories get worse every time I hear a new part of it.
End Times killed off Thanquol off-page by Archaeon, because End Times was garbage

His End Times model would make an interesting addition to the game though

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, Thanquol goes to liaison with Archaeon inbetween two novels and gets killed by him with zero fanfare. Thanquol and Kislev have some of the shittiest write-offs in the endtimes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So everyone else gets epic send-offs and poor Thanquol dies off-screen, unlamented, unknown and without getting a final word in after being killed by a final incompetent writer and editor.

Everything came perfectly Thanquol, after his luck finally ran out.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
His ending really needed to be him backstabbing Gelt instead of Manny, snorting a bunch of rat cocaine and exploding when he tries to bind the winds of magic to himself.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Morbidmind posted:

His ending really needed to be him backstabbing Gelt instead of Manny, snorting a bunch of rat cocaine and exploding when he tries to bind the winds of magic to himself.

-musk of fear intensifies-

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

madmac is doing a little thing on possible LLs but has yet to do the skaven.

Skaven has a lot of characters and I'm skipping the image links this time, but here we go.

Thanquol and Boneripper

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Thanquol

Everyone's favorite paranoid crack addict is arguably the most popular Skaven character and their best Wizard and also has been to Lustria a few times, so his inclusion as one of the starting two is pretty likely. He's likely to be represented as a dual character like Skarsnik and Gobbla, making him a decent melee force as well.

Thanquol is a Grey Seer, and Gray Seers are the best mages Skaven can field. He can freely choose spells from either of the two Skaven Lores, Lore of Ruin and Lore of Plague, and also has access to the dread 13th spell that can transform entire enemy units into loyal clanrats. In TWW it'll probably work just like Morghurs ability.

Thanquol also has several special rules and items, his luck is represented by a decent percentage of incoming hits being absorbed by nearby units instead, and he can freely snort warpstone crack in battle to power up his spellcasting.

He also has an amulet that can heal his wounds (basically regen) a staff that does nothing in TWW terms but basically better magic, and his precious supply of crack. He's a cowardly weakling in melee combat but Boneripper is a unbreakable Rat Ogre outfitted with a flamethrower so it'll be interesting to see how that dichotomy plays out in practice.

Ikit Claw

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ikit_Claw

Ikit Claw represents Clan Skyre, the insane Warlock Engineer clan that builds all the Skaven doomsday weapons. He's one of the neater Skaven characters but being also a hybrid mage type makes him slightly less likely to appear alongside Thanquol, IMO.

Ikit is oddly competent for a Skaven if anything. Instead of a long list of failures he's their cutting edge weapons designer who rebuilt his own blown up body as power armor, making him pretty much Skaven Iron Man.

In game terms he's a spellcaster using the Lore of Ruin who is also decentish in melee thanks to his power armor enhancing his strength and toughness. The built in flamethrower doesn't hurt either. His one magic item is his Halberd Storm Daemon which completely ignores armor and lets him fire off a powerful magic missile effect with a chance of backfiring.

Throt the Unclean

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Throt_the_Unclean

Throt represents the mutation mastery of Clan Mouldor, the Skaven Clan in charge of creating Rat Ogres and all their other freaky mutated abominations. He's heavily mutated himself, being a fat-rear end three-armed Skaven carrying a whip and a polearm designed to capture foes.

He's basically a beastmaster type character, being halfway competent in melee but focused on powering up Skaven warbeasts. The downside is that he's such a glutton that in TT he has to take a LD test every turn or be forced to consume one of his own nearby units. Yes he will wolf down a Rat Ogre and still test hunger the next turn.

He also has regen and two magic items, his polearm Creature Killer is effectively a powerful anti-large weapon and his Whip of Domination cripples enemy Leadership.

I put the chances of Throt making it in as either an initial or DLC character pretty low, but he does offer his own niche with a monster focused playstyle. In TT he can bring Giant Rats as a core (eg spammable) unit as well as two units of Rat Ogres that also count as core. He also raises the LD of nearby monsters but he also eats them so...

Queek Headtaker

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Queek_Headtaker

Queek is the closest thing Skaven has to a combat specialist lord. He represents the Warlord Faction of Skaven with his natural distrust of Gray Seers and ability to take upgraded Storm Vermin. He's a conceited rear end in a top hat who relishes single combat with other characters and carries a rack of skull trophies on his back. All of which makes him a front-runner for second LL, but OTOH in lore he's all about murdering Dwarves and spends most of his time in three-way battles with Belegar and Skarsnick for control of 8 peaks.

Queek is good at melee by Skaven standards, he gets bonuses when fighting other characters, while his Magic Pick Dwarf Gouger completely ignores armor and is especially deadly against Dwarves. He also has special spiked warpstone armor that can wound attacking foes in melee.

Lord Skrolk

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Skrolk

Skrolk represents the Skaven Clan Pestilens who are especially active in Lustria. He's almost definitely going to make it in as either a starting or DLC character. He's another hybrid Caster/Melee Skaven, being competent at both but not exceptional at either.

Skrolks plague ravaged body is surprisingly strong and tough, and he fights bolstered by frenzy, causes terror, and has an aura that weakens the fighting ability of all nearby units (even other Skaven) unless they are Clan Pestilens themselves.

He also casts spells from the Lore of Plague and has two magic items. His Rod (Flail) of Corruption has a chance to instantly kill anything struck by it, while the Liber Bubonicus lets him call down powerful direct damage spells/plagues as a bound spell.

That rounds out the Lord Choices for Skaven but they do have two notable heroes as well.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tretch_Craventail

Tretch Craventail is the most cowardly and crafty Skaven, able to survive battle after battle through sheer wits and knowing when to cut and run. In TT he has the hilarious ability Stay Here, I'll get Help which allows him to leave a friendly (doomed) unit at any time and join a different (safer) one instead. With all the other Skaven choices though I think he's more likely to be represented as a unit of reknown Tretches Raiders instead.

Deathmaster Snitch

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Deathmaster_Snikch

Snitch is the greatest assassin belonging to the notably weabo Clan Eshin. Like most assassin characters he's expressly forbid from leading an army, but OTOH Skaven has a whole line of Clan Eshin units he could be boosting for a unique play-style so I'd say odds of his inclusion as a Lord are not completely hopeless. Also despite being technically a hero he's more expensive to field than most named Skaven Lords.

Snitch himself is a pretty cool character, in combat he's squishy but extremely fast and lethal, with a 50% ward save to represent his ability to avoid attacks with cool ninja backflips. We haven't really had a stealth focused lord which would be potentially interesting. Snitch unleashes a flurry of AP melee attacks from his three poisoned blades (tail included) while the Cloak of Shadows means enemies have only a 50% chance to even spot Snitch to make an attack against him unless he's currently engaged in melee.

Overall it's really hard to predict Leaders for Skaven. My best guess is Thanquol+loving somebody as starting Lords, with Skrolk being probably either the second lord or first DLC lord.

Queek I'm guessing will be FLC because he's got old world written all over him. Ikrit, Skrolk, Throt, and Snitch all have really obvious unit specializations they could be built around. I dunno. Skaven are popular so I wouldn't be too surprised if they get a lot of DLC/FLC lords in the end.

madmac fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 2, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Saving the best 4 races for the second game is a genius dick move tbh.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I thought that Skaven were tons of fun in Mark of Chaos/Battle March. The warp lightning cannons were insanely potent and very fun to use, and to my surprise, WOULD blow up at random. A lot of the Skaven's thing is that they are incredibly effective, but unreliable. Their shooting was very effective, but their units would break the instant they lost numbers advantage, even if they were holding their own in the fight. This seems like it would be harder to pull off in Total War, given how army routing works compared to Battle March, but a win-big-lose-big approach to Skaven might still work. I'm also the only person alive who didn't hate those games, but my physical copy of Battle March is corrupted and won't install to satisfy my Dark Elf itch. :shrug:
Since they're universally hated, there's no :filez: for them either. :negative:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comstar posted:

So everyone else gets epic send-offs and poor Thanquol dies off-screen, unlamented, unknown and without getting a final word in after being killed by a final incompetent writer and editor.

Everything came perfectly Thanquol, after his luck finally ran out.

Despite him being the title character of the previous book.

Despite claiming End Times killed Thanquol. Age of Sigmar retconned that away. Thanquol was instead stated to be one of the Survivors and faked his off screen death with Archeon. (Boneripper died again however.) He survived into Age of Sigmar and is currently from what I can tell the only named Character the Skaven have right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Syrnn posted:

I thought that Skaven were tons of fun in Mark of Chaos/Battle March. The warp lightning cannons were insanely potent and very fun to use, and to my surprise, WOULD blow up at random. A lot of the Skaven's thing is that they are incredibly effective, but unreliable. Their shooting was very effective, but their units would break the instant they lost numbers advantage, even if they were holding their own in the fight. This seems like it would be harder to pull off in Total War, given how army routing works compared to Battle March, but a win-big-lose-big approach to Skaven might still work. I'm also the only person alive who didn't hate those games, but my physical copy of Battle March is corrupted and won't install to satisfy my Dark Elf itch. :shrug:
Since they're universally hated, there's no :filez: for them either. :negative:

There was a goon LP of that game. My favorite part is the "dignified" sendoff given to a Daemon Prince of Chaos. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZ0Unp7NMg&t=1117s

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Honestly I just hope skaven get good voice acting.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Is there an effort post regarding wood elves just like the ones for the other factions below the OP?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

So some Skinks have divined from SlaanDB that there may be another bit of DLC coming, other than the Old Friend, for TWWH1. Something about there being two near-daily updated branch listings, bamboo and bagels and each represent separate store entities.

I'm hoping it's true and that it's another lord pack, unfortunately we live in the dark timeline coupled with CA's predilections for the Undead it'll probably just end being Vampires vs Vampires. :negative:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

So some Skinks have divined from SlaanDB that there may be another bit of DLC coming, other than the Old Friend, for TWWH1. Something about there being two near-daily updated branch listings, bamboo and bagels and each represent separate store entities.

I'm hoping it's true and that it's another lord pack, unfortunately we live in the dark timeline coupled with CA's predilections for the Undead it'll probably just end being Vampires vs Vampires. :negative:

I'd guess Beastmen and Wood Elves, myself. Maybe not since they're DLC races, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

my dad posted:

There was a goon LP of that game. My favorite part is the "dignified" sendoff given to a Daemon Prince of Chaos. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZ0Unp7NMg&t=1117s

copied the tt more than I thought.

I did something similar once in a 40k game where I flew my daemon prince over a wall and into a pile of flayed ones. That was a bad life choice...

• Locked thread