Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
Do we know what happened to Green Boots? I heard he wasn't there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

After years of keeping faithful vigil, Saint Green Boots finally ascended into the bosom of Great Chomolungma, where he will sit at Her side on the day of reckoning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

A couple years ago there was an expedition to recover bodies and/or remove them from the path. Green Boots was a target of this, because he was so well known and it had caused his family no end of stress. I don't believe they were able to retrieve his body, just say some words and roll him off the side. This is what I remember; it might be wrong.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think its assumed the Chinese removed the bodies because they were gone at the beginning of the next season.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, from what I can find, there's no public record of what happened to his body.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
He probably awoke from his cryosleep and hiked back down

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ewe2 posted:

I think its assumed the Chinese removed the bodies because they were gone at the beginning of the next season.

Doubtful, wrong side of the mountain.

I believe what was said about him getting pitched off the side is to the best of anyone's knowledge correct.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Godspeed you Greenboots!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Rondette posted:

Godspeed you! Greenboots
FTFY

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

I believe what was said about him getting pitched off the side is to the best of anyone's knowledge correct.

Honest if sick question. Would the body (if not the clothing) break like a giant ice sculpture from being frozen that long? If they found it at the bottom of the mountain and removed the clothes, would it be like a bag full of corpse shards?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Honest if sick question. Would the body (if not the clothing) break like a giant ice sculpture from being frozen that long? If they found it at the bottom of the mountain and removed the clothes, would it be like a bag full of corpse shards?
Ice has no internal structure. Cadavars have both a skeleton and the fibres of the muscles and tendons. A drop from altitude will probably mush things up a bit more than if 'fresh' but that will be as nought to being churned through a glacier in the years to come.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

No, Green Boots was on the Tibetan side.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shangri-Law School posted:

No, Green Boots was on the Tibetan side.

He's believed to be Tsewang Paljor from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, they would not have in any way been on the Tibetan side. David Sharp died very near him, and he also went from Nepali side via Asian Trekking, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

Ice has no internal structure. Cadavars have both a skeleton and the fibres of the muscles and tendons. A drop from altitude will probably mush things up a bit more than if 'fresh' but that will be as nought to being churned through a glacier in the years to come.

Human pykrete.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

He's believed to be Tsewang Paljor from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, they would not have in any way been on the Tibetan side. David Sharp died very near him, and he also went from Nepali side via Asian Trekking, right?

Both Paljor and Sharp used the Northeast ridge route, starting from the Tibetan side.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Comrade Koba posted:

Both Paljor and Sharp used the Northeast ridge route, starting from the Tibetan side.

Wow, I had a totally wrong read on both the 1996 and 2006 disasters. I stand corrected then.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Someone did the needful

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

He probably awoke from his cryosleep and hiked back down

He is the new Everest Eliminator.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oh yeah, so for goons with Snapchat, EverestNoFilter is headed back to try and summit again. I still follow them from the first attempt so I'll be watching.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh yeah, so for goons with Snapchat, EverestNoFilter is headed back to try and summit again. I still follow them from the first attempt so I'll be watching.

I don't really understand Snapchat other than the filters, I've followed them though or whatever it is you do on it.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Steck is going for a double summit of Everest and Lhotse, which obviously means a Khumbu route.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Steck is back? Is he going for the speed record or just trying to do a double summit?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Anya posted:

Steck is back? Is he going for the speed record or just trying to do a double summit?

Double summit of Everest and Lhotse and doing the attempt on Everest via the difficult West Ridge route that Tom Hornbein and Willi Unsoeld did in 1963. Apparently Ueli has a permit for a third mountain as well - he hasn't said which, but it's been speculated that his permit is for Nuptse and he may attempt the first ascent of an Everest-Lhotse-Nuptse traverse.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 11, 2017

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

gohuskies posted:

Double summit of Everest and Lhotse and doing the attempt on Everest via the never-repeated and extremely difficult West Ridge route that Tom Hornbein and Willi Unsoeld did in 1963. Apparently Ueli has a permit for a third mountain as well - he hasn't said which, but it's been speculated that his permit is for Nuptse and he may attempt the first ascent of an Everest-Lhotse-Nuptse traverse.

Looked up the west ridge route those two took in 63 and poo poo, it's no wonder no one's repeated it. It looks like hell. Best of luck to Steck.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They're mad. They'll get blown off the mountain, that's how people die on that route.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Ueli Steck is basically the only dude rad enough to climb any mountain he wants any way he wants. Pretty sure he's rad enough to not give a poo poo if he gets blown off a mountain to his death, because he *is* the mountains.

except ueli

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Oh poo poo. Looked up his Facebook page and that mapped out his route. They aren't taking tents, and plan to biouvac on Everest on the cross route.

Only Ueli. Godspeed sir.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cory from EverestNoFilter missed his original flight to Tibet and is now headed to China instead where he'll meet up with Adrian. This was after their initial leave date was delayed by several days. This expedition is starting out on a bad foot.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Legit though, the mountain god is thirsty for blood.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So....is there going to be a new thread or just a title change for this one? (I vote the latter)

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone made a thread but posted it in GBS for some reason. The thread was poo poo posted into Oblivion and the guy posted a banme.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I can just change the title. But I'm keeping "Get rich and die hiking" because it's brilliant and makes me laugh every day.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Someone made a thread but posted it in GBS for some reason. The thread was poo poo posted into Oblivion and the guy posted a banme.

This thread was originally in GBS. I didn't realize it wasn't still until now.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Picnic Princess posted:

I can just change the title. But I'm keeping "Get rich and die hiking" because it's brilliant and makes me laugh every day.

Yeah just change every 6 to a 7 and we're good to go

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wicked, I think it is probably better this way, the annual poo poo posts at the start of the new threads was always annoying.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Agreed. I would try to post legitimate stuff in hopes it would curb the concern trolling. Never worked.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cool avalanche stuff again! Sorry for the Facebook link, it's the only one I could find. Avalanche cascading over a cliff face like a massive waterfall next to some ice climbers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/315539898799565/permalink/433840846969469/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a few days off from work, I'm going to write up a proper avalanche and snow safety thread. Stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I miss active Everest threads :(