Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Mighty Mouse break Silva's defense record?
This poll is closed.
Yes 35 28.93%
Umm, yes 36 29.75%
Yep 12 9.92%
yeh 38 31.40%
Total: 121 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
UFC April: I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation.

Last month's thread is here. Thanks to Lid for the thread title this month, and thanks to everyone for the inspired shitposting. Shout out to dunc for once again putting in a Thread MVP performance.

March started off with such great potential.

Memento posted:

Starting this weekend, UFC 209 sees two titles on the line. Headlining the card is the much anticipated Featherweight matchup between Tony "el Cucuy" Ferguson and Khabib "The Eagle" Nurmagomedov for the Interim Lightweight championship.

This fight could have been amazing and was much-anticipated, but it's pretty clear at this point in time that Khabib is ducking title fights as hard as he can and has his entire team in on the bit. I look forward to Khabib retiring at 37-0 without ever having fought for a title.

UFC 209 also brought us an early contender for Worst Fight of the Year. The Welterweight title fight between Tyron Woodley (c) and Stephen Thompson ended up being an incredibly boring match that saw the audience start booing halfway through, and Tyron retain the title on the strength of a single last-round flurry. Many commentators had this fight sitting as a 47-47 draw but the judges gave it to the incumbent. Tyron Woodley will continue to bitch and moan about how he is the least well-promoted champion in the UFC's history and while he will blame racism, the real answer will always be the calibre of his fights. Somehow in the 170-pound division, in the space of a year and a half we went from Robbie Lawler putting on back to back FOTY performances against Rory MacDonald and Carlos Condit, to Tyron Woodley putting the audience to sleep.

The undercard of 209 brought us some incredible fights, making the event not a complete write-off. David Teymur and Lando Vannata put on an absolute clinic at Lightweight, kicking the living poo poo out of each other over three excellent rounds. Alistair Overeem reminded everyone how hard he throws with a third-round KO of Mark Hunt; even the strongest Samoan head can't stand up to knees from Ubereem for long. On the Fox Sports prelims, Darren Elkins and Iuri Alcântara both put their names forward for "Comeback of the Year" with later round stoppages of opponents that had been all over them for the start of the fight. Elkins in particular was bleeding from several places on his face after sustaining ridiculous amounts of damage from Mirsad Bektić, but with less than 2 minutes left in the third round, took out his opponent with a headkick and punches. If you only watch one fight from this card I personally would make it this one.

March 11th saw the UFC traveling for the first of two times last month, with UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum. Highlights from this event included in particular a sick flying knee KO of Beneil Dariush by Edson Barboza.

http://i.imgur.com/TrmB5y0.mp4

The co-main saw Shogun string together his third win in a row for the first time since 2007, stopping Gian "I'm Chris Weidman's Friend" Villante in the third round. The main event featured Kelvin Gastelum weathering the three minutes that Vitor Belfort has left in him these days, then stopping the Brazilian veteran with punches with around a minute left in the first round. Kelvin is planning a legend-killing tour with a fight against Anderson Silva at UFC 212 in June.

March was rounded out by UFC Fight Night: Manuwa vs. Anderson. In the main event, Jimi Manuwa cemented his place in the Light Heavyweight top 5 with a first round KO of Corey Anderson. Highlights from the undercard included Marc Diakiese knocking the gently caress out of Teemu Packalén.

http://i.imgur.com/ZjITqfX.mp4

UFC events in April

This month brings us three events. First up is the next pay per view event, UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson 2. A rematch between current Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier and one of the hardest hitting men in the company, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson headlines this card, a match originally slated for UFC 206. Cormier was forced to pull out of this match when he came down with a case of AKA-itis. Cormier will look to use his Olympic-level wrestling to control the fight and avoid the withering power of his opponent, and be hoping for a repeat of his early-fight rear naked choke stoppage from the first match-up. The co-main event brings us Chris Weidman taking on Gegard Mousasi, with the former on a 2-fight skid looking to get his quest to regain the Middleweight title back on track, and the latter on a four-fight winning streak, gunning for a title shot of his own. This could be an incredibly sick fight.

April the 15th sees the UFC heading to Kansas City which for some reason is in Missouri with UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Reis. Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson is looking to equal the title defense record currently held by Anderson Silva at ten, while Wilson Reis looks to... loving hell, I can't imagine any scenario where he wins this. Mighty Mouse is the best MMA fighter in the world and the difference between him and every other 125 pound fighter on the planet is extraordinary. Johnson is currently a -1050 favourite according to 5Dimes, and I can't remember the last time a championship fight was so one-sided in the betting. The undercard of this event sees Rose Namajunas taking on Michelle "Karate Hottie" Waterson, with the winner looking to put their name down for a life-altering savaging from Joanna Champion after she sees off Jessica Andrade.

April will be rounded out by UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov where Artem "Conor's Mate" Lobov will take on his highest ranked opposition in Cub "He's Going To Win" Swanson. On paper this is an incredible mismatch, with Swanson tanked as the 4th best Featherweight in the world, and Lobov ranked at (not_found). In the octagon it's probably going to be an incredible mismatch as well, with Lobov holding a 2 inch height advantage and a 5 inch reach disadvantage. Swanson is coming off a Fight of the Year performance against Doo Ho Choi in December last year, a fight that saw the stock of both men rise considerably. Again looking to the betting lines, Swanson is a -555 favourite, and is not expected to have any trouble dispatching the T-Rex-armed Russian.

UFC News

The biggest news from March by far was the announcement that George "Rush" St-Pierre is returning to the octagon after a more than three year absence. He has spent the intervening time chasing dinosaur bones, filming movies, and of, course, on women. His announced return fight will be at Middleweight against the champion Michael "The Count" Bisping. This has annoyed a lot of people, not least of whom is Yoel Romero, who has been the unofficial Middleweight challenger since dispatching Chris Weidman in New York in November. This fight has yet to be booked, but St-Pierre's camp is talking up a September or October bout, while Bisping is insisting he wants to fight earlier than that and aiming at July. Negotiations continue in the eternal three-ring circus that is UFC fight booking.

Your Current Champions

Men's Heavyweight Champion - Stipe Miocic (18-2)
Stipe Miocic won the Heavyweight title in May of 2016, stopping Fabricio Verdum in front of his countrymen in a single round. He backed this feat up with anotehr first-round stoppage of the most decorated Heavyweight of all time, Alistair Overeem, in Miocic's home town of Cleveland in September. It was considered that the winner of the fight between Werdum and Cain Velasquez at UFC 207, a rematch of the fight where Werdum took Velasquez' belt from him in 2015, would be Miocic's next opponent, but Velasquez was forced out of this bout with yet another leg injury. Miocic will defend his belt against Junior dos Santos at UFC 211 in May, where he will seek to avenge his Fight of the Night loss from late 2014.

Men's Light Heavyweight Champion - Daniel Cormier (19-1)
Daniel Cormier won the belt initiall in May of 2015, winning against the heavy-hitting Anthony Johnson by rear-nake choke in the third round. Cormier defended his belt against Alexander Gustaffson in October of 2015 in a split decision. A planned rematch against Jon Jones was scheduled for UFC 200, which was called off after Jones tested positive for banned substances. Cormier went on to fight Anderson Silva in a non-title bout on three days' notice. Cormier was slated to fight Anthony Johnson in a rematch for the belt in December, a match which did not took place due to Cormier suffering a groin adductor injury. The bout is now set for UFC 210 in April.

Men's Middleweight Champion - Michael Bisping (37-7)
Bisping had a fairytale year in 2016, first of all beating the greatest MMA striker of all time Anderson Silva in front of his hometown crowd of Manchester in February. Then, on 17 days notice, he stepped up to fight Luke Rockhold for the Middleweight Championship in June at UFC 199. Bisping joked about not having the regular time to get his cardio ready, meaning he would have to knock Rockhold out in the first round, then against the expectations of everyone everwhere, including his own son, he did exactly that. He capped off his year with a successful defense against Dan Henderson, putting the ghosts of UFC 100 to rest. It had been widely considered that his next defense will be against Yoel Romero, a man Bisping considers to be "the biggest cheating motherfucker in the whole sport"1, however with the announcement in March of the return of GSP, the UFC are talking up the soft-spoken Canadian as Bisping's next defense.

Men's Welterweight Champion - Tyron Woodley (17-3-1)
Woodley was promised a title shot against the Welterweight champion 17 months before the fight took place. After Robbie Lawler put in Fight Of The Year performances against Rory MacDonald in July 2015 and Carlos Condit in January 2016, Woodley went into their fight in July of 2016 as a significant underdog. This meant nothing, with Lawler going down to strikes in the first round. Woodley defended his belt against Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson, putting on an incredible fight that ended in a majority draw at UFC 205 in New York in November 2016. A rematch for this fight was held in March month at UFC 209, and it sucked out loud. Hopefully the winner of Jorge Masvidal and Demian Maia at UFC 211 will take the title off him and then put on some fights that people want to actually see.

Men's Lightweight Champion - Conor MacGregor (21-3)
After punching his way to the Featherweight Championship in December 2015, McGregor was slated to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the Lightweight Championship in March of 2015. With dos Anjos pulling out of this with a broken foot sustained in sparring, Nate Diaz took the fight on 9 days' notice, winning handily in the second round with a rear-naked choke against a gassed McGregor. A rematch of this fight was held in August 2016, with McGregor fighting with a much more conservative, patient style, taking the fight by majority decision. A "superfight" was scheduled for UFC 205 in November 2015, with McGregor taking on Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez. This fight was one-sided with McGregor boxing Alvarez to a standstill in the second round, after taking the first round 10-8. McGregor would go on to have the Featherweight title stripped off him in December 2016, to make way for an Interim championship to be created. MacGregor's next opponent would have been the winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson from UFC 209 in March, however due to Khabib being a poo poo oval office in general, that fight never took place. Conor is once again talking up a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather which I can't imagine giving less of a poo poo about.

Men's Featherweight Champion - Jose Aldo Jr. (26-2)
Aldo spent the better part of a decade being an unstoppable force at Featherweight; first with the WEC where he won the title in November 2009, then in the UFC after the former was absorbed by them. This run was derailed by Conor McGregor in December 2015, where Aldo was knocked into unconsciousness 13 seconds into the first round. An opportunity came Aldo's way in July of 2016, with an Interim Championship fight against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 seeing Aldo regaining gold again. With McGregor being stripped of the Featherweight Championship before UFC 206, and Max Holloway winning the Interim title at that event, Aldo was promoted to Featherweight Champion. These belts are due to be unified at UFC 212 in early June.

Men's Interim Featherweight Champion - Max Holloway (17-3)
Holloway put together a 9-fight win streak, with several Performance of the Night bonuses, before answering the call to contend for the Interim Featherweight Championship at UFC 206 in December 2016. Taking out Anthony Pettis with a body kick and punches late in the third round, he has set himself up for a bout against jose Aldo at UFC 212 in early June.

Men's Bantamweight Champion - Cody Garbrandt (11-0)
After amassing a professional record of 5-0 in the minor leagues, Garbrandt was able to parley this into a UFC contract in January 2015. He then went on to win 5 fights in a row in the UFC, including going from unranked at Bantamweight at the start of 2016 into championship contention at the end. He took on Dominick Cruz for the title at UFC 207 in late December, and in contrast to analysis from a variety of sources, took out Cruz in a unanimous decision. No current defense is scheduled.

Men's Flyweight Champion - Demetrious Johnson (25-2-1)
After winning the Flyweight Championship in September 2012 in a split decision against Joseph Benevidez, Johnson has amassed a 9-fight streak against the best that the division has had to offer. He has been so dominant that the UFC held an entire Ultimate Figher tournament to find his next challenger. The culmination of this was that Tim Elliott came back out of the MMA wilderness to lose a competitive match against Johnson in early December 2016. Johnson is slated to defend his title against Wilson Reis this month.

Women's Featherweight Champion - Germaine de Randamie(7-3)
In order to answer a question a grand total of about seven people outside Brazil were asking, the UFC set up a fight between Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie for UFC 208 in February of this year. With de Randamie winning in contentious fashion, and Holm unsuccessfully appealing the outcome, the new champion is probably going to defend it against Cristiane Justino Venâncio aka Cyborg at some point in time in the future. Assuming Cyborg can keep off the drugs.

Women's Bantamweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (14-4)
Nunes headlined UFC 200 in July of 2016, putting a vicious beating on Miesha Tate and securing a rear-nake choke victory in a little over three minutes. She backed this up with a brutal 48-second TKO victory against former Women's Bantamweight Champion and WMMA pioneer Rounda Rousey in late December 2016. No current challenger announced.

Women's Strawweight Champion - Joanna Jędrzejczyk (13-0)
After winning the Women's Strawweight Championship against the one-dimensional Carla Esparza in March 2015, Jędrzejczyk has defended her title four times. Most recent of these was against her Polish countrywoman Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205 in November 2016. Jędrzejczyk will defend her belt against Jessica Andrade at UFC 211 in May.

With no long-term announcement for the replacement of Mike Goldberg, our one ppv of the year so far featured Joe Rogan accompanied by Jon Anik and Daniel Cormier on the announce table, with mixed results. UFC 209 saw Rogan and Anik joined by Dominick Cruz at the desk. We wait with baited breath as to whether any of these replacements will be Corn to the Core.

Thanks very much to LobsterMobster for putting together the awards thread for last year:

2016 Rowdy Ringsports MMA Awards - RESULTS THREAD!.

Thanks also go to LobsterMobster for putting together both iterations of the UFC Fightpass Thread

UFC Fight Pass Playlists and Collections

The NEW UFC Fight Pass Collection Thread

Go to the MMA's Best and Worst of the Year, 2017 thread to keep up with what has been considered by your fellow PSP-MMA posters as the best (and worst) of the UFC.

As usual, let me know where I hosed something up, and you too could win the No-Prize!

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really looking forward to Cormier/Johnson, I really enjoyed their last fight. I hope one of them doesn't get injured/pull out before it happens!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I forgot de Randamie is a champ now, I feel like that whole poo poo show was a fever dream but nope, I guess that actually happened

Cyborg will probably pop again so congrats in advance to Germaine for beating *shuffles papers around desk*... Charmaine Tweet?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My suggestion was better :unsmith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Diakase didn't fight Daniel Omielańczuk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommonShore posted:

Diakase didn't fight Daniel Omielańczuk

Copy and pasted the wrong line, cheers for that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

edit: I'm dumb don't mind me

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
do you guys remember awhile back when all of our champions were cool? and now look at them

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

do you guys remember awhile back when all of our champions were cool? and now look at them

None of them are Tim Sylvia. Woodley is trying to emulate him though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

4 of them are definitely cool, there's a couple who are debatable. One of them is Germaine de Randemie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If we're counting interim titles (:lol:) then Max Holloway is also cool.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

tbf robbie lawler heavily weighted that group.

I'd give up like 5 or 6 or all of those champions to just have robbie lawler back

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We only need one champion, and her name is Joanna.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

stipe is pretty awesome imo. i like that he's good enough at everything to punish successful heavyweights with huge flaws. i think the jds rematch will be very good.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Possibly dumb idea: inaugural 125lb tournament with Joanna Champion, Jennifer Maia, Ronda Rousey, and another 125er (Jojo Calderwood?) Lots of potentially good stories, JJ would be awesome as the first women's simultaneous title-holder, Ronda could have another big comeback with title implications without being outright gifted one, the Invicta champ validates her status as the best flyweight, and the long overdue women's 125 would be kickstarted with some big names.

Also Ronda and JJ have both expressed interest at 125 in the past, and if JJ gets past Andrade she's basically cleaned out 115

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
as much I'm sure we would all love to see Joanna tool up Rousey we will probably never see nor hear from her again, unless you are hanging around the woods

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Joanna would kill Ronda

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Skip My Posts posted:

I don't think Joanna would kill Ronda

Same, I love Joanna but I don't think she has the KO power to shut Ronda off before she zombies her way in.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

chaleski posted:

Possibly dumb idea: inaugural 125lb tournament with Joanna Champion, Jennifer Maia, Ronda Rousey, and another 125er (Jojo Calderwood?) Lots of potentially good stories, JJ would be awesome as the first women's simultaneous title-holder, Ronda could have another big comeback with title implications without being outright gifted one, the Invicta champ validates her status as the best flyweight, and the long overdue women's 125 would be kickstarted with some big names.

Also Ronda and JJ have both expressed interest at 125 in the past, and if JJ gets past Andrade she's basically cleaned out 115

She's been on record as saying she would be more comfortable there as she makes a pretty big cut to 115.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

A year or so ago I would've thought Ronda would steamroll her and it wouldn't be close, now I think JJ would likely weather the storm for a round or so then take over. Unless Edmond finally teaches Ronda such things as head movement or lateral footwork, I think JJ's footwork and volume would short-circuit Ronda.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love them both loads but I would expect Ronda to armbar JJ within a few minutes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Ronda does her usual "rush in in a straight line with no head movement" I think Joanna would get some good shots in, and we've all seen how well Ronda reacts to getting hit in the face.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
joanna doesnt really hit with power and if ronda got a hold of her she'd be in trouble

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And Rousey still hits hard so it'd be a real dangerous fight for JJ.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ronda's massive compared to Joanna which probably lends itself extremely well to her being able to Judo her, but if Ronda couldn't get Joanna down, it's 25 long minutes of constant volume punching for Ronda.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ronda would toss Joanna around pretty easily.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Joanna also has superb movement so Ronda would pretty much have to rush in at her. I think Ronda does win but it's entirely dependent on her getting a good clinch and throw.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Joanna would kick Rhonda's paper mache knees into dust.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah Joanna gets handled by nearly everyone at the start of her fights, even Carla and Valerie bullied her a bit, there's no chance Ronda doesn't put her in deep water early on

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

chaleski posted:

Yeah Joanna gets handled by nearly everyone at the start of her fights, even Carla and Valerie bullied her a bit, there's no chance Ronda doesn't put her in deep water early on

I know you said nearly but KK didn't even come close to bullying her in the first round and she ate a ton of leg kicks and JJ managed the distance very well.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Could Honda even cut to 125? Not that she's ever going to fight again anyway.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

FishBowlRobot posted:

Could Honda even cut to 125? Not that she's ever going to fight again anyway.

She and her coaches have talked about it in the past, and she was on weight for the Nunes fight for like a week or so beforehand.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Joanna hits everyone she fights in the face 500 times a fight and nobody ever is hurt or staggered so shed probably get frankenstein walked down and grabbed and submitted. just my opinion.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ronda was walking through miesha and holm's punches pretty easily, it's just that holm hit her clean at will and made her do the looney tunes tazmanian devil spin to try to catch her, and even then she still was almost armbarred. only lady vitor has ever really made ronda stop coming forwards.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

ronda was walking through holm's punches pretty easily
it's just that holm hit her clean at will and made her do the looney tunes tazmanian devil spin to try to catch her,

Those are pretty in contradiction with each other. The way Ronda was getting hit, I think she'd have been finished even without the head kick.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Does anyone have the link to that streamable where this lady interviewer asks Dana White if the UFC will be matching Bellator's offer to Ryan Bader? I need it for a school project.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

Those are pretty in contradiction with each other. The way Ronda was getting hit, I think she'd have been finished even without the head kick.

my point wasn't that she could have walked through holm's punches indefinitely, my point was that she did in fact walk through them for a round in which got hit a bunch on the chin, psychotically exhausted herself, and even though holm was fighting a perfect fight she still got her against the fence and on the ground.

so i don't think joanna's strikes would trouble her until she's basically lost the fight anyway.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Andrade is really good. Much better Kwkakavehrajicz or whoever the gently caress Joanna fought last. She's stronger than Claudia and has the potential to pose a real problem for JJ

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

El Roncho posted:

Does anyone have the link to that streamable where this lady interviewer asks Dana White if the UFC will be matching Bellator's offer to Ryan Bader? I need it for a school project.

https://streamable.com/yhaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Why thank ye.

• Locked thread