Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It is November 28, 1872. The brigantine Mary Celeste has been at sea for 23 days en route from New York to Genoa with a cargo of 1700 casks of commercial alcohol. It is a cargo the ship's complement is unfamiliar with, and the captain is concerned with its volatile nature, particularly with the uncommonly warm weather this voyage. The Mary Celeste lies approximately 500 miles off the island of Santa Maria in the Azores.

The ship has experienced rough seas and gales for the past three days, although she has weathered it well. This morning, the storms broke and the day began with fair sailing. For the last few hours, however, the ship has been becalmed. There is no reason to expect the wind to return this evening. This is not a matter of much concern. In fact, the still air comes as a welcome relief for the tired crew of the Mary Celeste.

The Mary Celeste is an excellent vessel and in good hands, though there are those who whisper of her cursed nature after her first captain died before the maiden voyage and the bad luck that followed in its wake from there. The Captain is an outstanding master; his mates are of unimpeachable character and competence, as are the cook and the crew of four. The Mary Celeste's passengers include the Captain's wife and daughter - who are quite at home at sea, as is fitting for a Captain's family - and a German businessman seeking passage back to Europe.

But for the lack of a breeze, all is well with the Mary Celeste, though there is a lifeboat should the need arise. The ship carries a 20-foot yawl, more than fit to carry all aboard the Mary Celeste, though hardly a boat to be called on for a long voyage. Also, the weapons locker is fully stocked and at the ready.

There have been strange happenings aboard the Mary Celeste. A stowaway has been found hiding in the forecastle. The Captain is quite nonplussed to find a woman hidden on his ship, and her story has yet to be sorted out. A be-furred savage in a canoe made of hides has also hailed the Mary Celeste. How she came to be so far out at sea remains a mystery, but at her insistence she has been taken aboard. Finally, three shipwreck victims were rescued from the sea, clinging to a broken spar. From what they say, this is all that remains of their previous ship.

...A week later, the ship is found, abandoned, its cargo untouched. The crew is never found. Over the years, many bizarre theories have arisen to explain what happened on that fateful voyage... but it's time you found out for yourself.

~~~

The Last Journey of the Mary Celeste is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 18 players.

General Rules/Important Notes:
  • Standard Mafia Rules are in effect for this game. Don't be a dick. Specific addendums follow:
    • Twilight posting after the hammer is acceptable, but the thread will be closed when the flip is posted.
    • Please play to your win condition!
    • No PM comparing shenanigans - format, capital letters, whatever.
    • Seriously, don't be a dick. I will nudge you via PM if I feel you're going beyond the pale.
  • In general, no replacements will be allowed beyond Day 1 - please don't sign up if you aren't going to put actual effort into this game. (I understand that Life Happens sometimes - in extreme cases please PM me and we'll take it from there.)
    • :siren:I politely request that unredeemable lurkers/no-content shitposters not sign up for this game, and reserve the right to turn you down if you do so!
  • Days will be ~48-60 hours (but will grow shorter as the game goes on) and Nights will be ~12-24 hours. Nights will be closed but I'll reopen the thread promptly.
  • Votes will be by majority, and no-lynches are possible.
  • The Anti-Lurking Rules v3.1 will be in effect for this game.
  • Flavor is important in this game. Tread with care.
  • :siren: To sign up for this game, you MUST post with which character you want from the list in the second post! First come first serve.

Player List:
  1. 100YrsofAttitude
  2. AnonymousNarcotics / IllegallySober
  3. CCKeane
  4. Dick Bastardly
  5. EccoRaven / Mayor Glowku
  6. Flying Leatherman
  7. got some chores tonight
  8. Hal Incandenza
  9. Infinitum
  10. Jonathan Fisk
  11. Moatillata
  12. Mr. F!
  13. Pinterest Mom
  14. Slamburger
  15. SLASHER HAWKE
  16. Somberbrero
  17. The Ninth Layer
  18. zzyzx

Replacement List:
1. Mayor Glowku
2. IllegallySober

Podima fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Characters:
  • The Captain (got some chores tonight) - A stern and upright man, he has only been the captain of the Mary Celeste for a short time.
  • The Captain's Wife (Pinterest Mom) - A proper New England lady, she spends most of her time looking after her daughter.
  • The Captain's Daughter (Dick Bastardly) - A young and quiet girl, she was quite sick when the voyage began but has recovered admirably.
  • The First Mate (Slamburger) - A strapping young man, he served with the captain on his previous vessel. An experienced sailor.
  • The Second Mate (The Ninth Layer) - A wiry middle-aged man, less experienced than the First Mate but capable and obedient.
  • Seaman Johan (AnonymousNarcotics) - German-born crew member, hard to tell apart from the others. Dotes on the captain's daughter.
  • Seaman Johan (SLASHER HAWKE) - German-born crew member, hard to tell apart from the others. Has a love for adventure.
  • Seaman Johan (zzyzx) - German-born crew member, hard to tell apart from the others. Grouchy and ill-tempered.
  • Seaman Johan (Hal Incandenza) - German-born crew member, hard to tell apart from the others. Highly superstitious and paranoid.
  • The Cook (EccoRaven) - An excellent cook, but the captain had to intervene and stop him from serving fish every night.
  • The Passenger (Mr. F!) - A stern businessman with little to say, he has kept to his cabin for most of the trip.
  • The Cat (Flying Leatherman) - The ship's cat, nearly always underfoot and constantly staring at everyone.
  • The Dog (CCKeane) - A stray dog that wandered aboard before castoff and was unofficially adopted. A bit on the skittish side.
  • The Castaway (Jonathan Fisk) - A be-furred savage in a canoe made of hides that hailed the Mary Celeste and insisted upon coming aboard.
  • The Stowaway Woman (Moatillata) - A tough-looking woman dressed in man's clothes, found hiding in the forecastle after twenty-three days at sea.
  • The Shipwrecked Man (Infinitum) - A burly man found clinging to a broken spar along with two others. Claims their ship was wrecked nearby.
  • The Shipwrecked Woman (Somberbrero) - An attractive woman found clinging to a broken spar along with two others. Claims their ship was wrecked nearby.
  • The Other Shipwrecked Woman (100YrsofAttitude) - A friendly woman found clinging to a broken spar along with two others. Claims their ship was wrecked nearby.

Podima fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 19, 2017

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
this will be my last journey as well

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

got some chores tonight posted:

this will be my last journey as well

Not a valid signup, FYI.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i thought it was implied i was the captain

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

also my wife is stickers no one else is allowed to claim that spot but i am taking applications for my daughter

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I want to be the cat. :)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i will be the captain's wife

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Castaway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sup a

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fly

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i will be the captain's wife

i shun you and my daughter my only love is the sea

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

First mate, please

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Yeah yeah.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

Yeah yeah.

Not a valid signup, friend!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

keane will be the grouchy seaman john

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
cook ecco reporting for duty

meat is murder so we'll be eating potatoes

also make this game in the Arrentia verse, tia

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I am The Shipwrecked Man

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm obviously the dog.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Signing up as "the Passenger"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Signing on as the dainty daughter.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Stowaway woman

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Grouchy and ill-tempered Seaman Johan. :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

cook ecco reporting for duty

meat is murder so we'll be eating potatoes

also make this game in the Arrentia verse, tia

Your request is regrettably denied! Also, fish are PRACTICALLY vegetables if you think about it.

zzyzx posted:

Grouchy and ill-tempered Seaman Johan. :cheers:

Well hello again! Haven't seen you in awhile. Welcome back!

And I believe this puts us at 12/18! I'm running D&D tonight, so if we fill PMs will probably not go out till tomorrow. You'll understand why when you get them.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

oysters are vegan

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sign me up! Yes on PMs. Second Mate.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

rare picture of me, pmom, and dickbastardly as we prepare to record our first podcast

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

got some chores tonight posted:

rare picture of me, pmom, and dickbastardly as we prepare to record our first podcast

:laffo:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Podima posted:

Well hello again! Haven't seen you in awhile. Welcome back!

Howdy! Looking forward to it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
Adventurer Johan reportign for duty

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

spectating

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I am the shipwrecked man rescued by the Mary Celeste, and I just got my PM and apparently I have a post restriction that every time I mention the Mary Celeste I have to type it like Mary Celeste.

Just gonna give you a heads up that if you don't respect the Mary Celeste, you're gonna find yourself overboard looking back at the Mary Celeste as the Mary Celeste sails away into grand Mary Celeste style adventures.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Shipwrecked Woman - An attractive woman found clinging to a broken spar along with two others. Claims their ship was wrecked nearby.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna give the captains daughter a merry molest

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

all i want is a vig, pod

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Time get back into the water and then out of it again as The Other Shipwrecked Woman.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This wasn't funny at all, FYI. Don't joke about stuff like that, please.

~~~

Exciting! Just two spots left!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sorry it was just a simple jest

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As long as you stick to the Mod's Request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I will try my very best

• Locked thread