Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/848229988004499457

This is the guy who did all those CBJ game day posters last season, so if you liked those and your team's going to the playoffs, you might get some sweet artwork.

Those posters were great, looking forward to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Today's Preds/Blues game is going to decide who gets 3rd in the central, I think.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Mike_V posted:

Today's Preds/Blues game is going to decide who gets 3rd in the central, I think.

This is probably true. They both seem to have easier remaining schedules than Calgary though so I could see both still avoiding Chicago in the first round.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
im glad i didn't toxx for buffalo to make the playoffs this year but i'm definitely doing it next year if bylsma gets fired

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Sens gonna miss the playoffs :(

Though if they do make it, I'd rather they lose to Washington than the Leafs or Bruins.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Powershift posted:

The wild are 1-3 in the season series against chicago. caps are 2-2 against the pens with with 35 total goals in those 4 games, 2-2 against the jackets with a game tomorrow for the season series.

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

I'd be OK with this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mike_V posted:

I would imagine Caps/Jackets today probably pretty much seals up the Metro crown and (maybe) President's Trophy with a Washington win. Chicago would be -5 (with three games to go), CBJ -6, PIT -7 on the Caps if they'd win in regulation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah caps win metro if they win today

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So is anyone going to be alive after the pens jackets first series? Will a wild maf appear? Will Sid successfully castrate someone?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Will anyone remember CBJ was even in the playoffs come the 2nd round?

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

bub spank posted:

Sens gonna miss the playoffs :(

Though if they do make it, I'd rather they lose to Washington than the Leafs or Bruins.

You don't say...

http://imgur.com/a/nZOwj

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

What an awful alternate universe where there's two Boston Bruins.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So does it start out as "i'm an idiot, i should be a referee" or do they start out as regular functional individuals and just get broken down into scrap parts by their job?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Powershift posted:

So does it start out as "i'm an idiot, i should be a referee" or do they start out as regular functional individuals and just get broken down into scrap parts by their job?

You need a certain kind of psyche to not break when every shithead in the peanut gallery thinks their 6 beers gives them better judgement on plays than your decades of experience, so maybe?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You need a certain kind of psyche to not break when every shithead in the peanut gallery thinks their 6 beers gives them better judgement on plays than your decades of experience, so maybe?

On one hand, this. On the other, Tim Peel.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Referee is probably one of the most thankless jobs.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-7-kerry-fraser-nhl-referee-stories/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I messed up as often as they do I wouldn't still have mine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Powershift posted:

If you ever want to have a deep and abiding hatred for humanity start officiating children's sports leagues.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Suspicious posted:

On one hand, this. On the other, Tim Peel.

I mean every profession has its fuckups

Aphrodite posted:

If I messed up as often as they do I wouldn't still have mine.

It probably says something about how difficult it is that the best in the world still gently caress up more often than anyone would like

grack posted:

If you ever want to have a deep and abiding hatred for humanity start officiating children's sports leagues.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't know. When there's a rule where you're not allowed to slap another player in the face with your stick and someone slaps another player in the face with their stick as they're skating away, judgement doesn't seem like a huge part of it. When each team is only supposed to have 5 skaters playing on the ice and one team goes with 6 for a bit, that's more of a math thing. I give them the benefit of the doubt on the judgement calls, but 6 is more than 5, faces don't start spontaneously bleeding.

It's frustrating that important games can't be consistent. Teams do dumb poo poo and the refs let it go until it's completely out of hand, then completely crack down to the point where it feels like acting inconvenienced by a tap or tug can win you the game.

grack posted:

I can only imagine. Maybe that's why they seem to completely shut out criticism, it's automatic at this point. Any sentence that starts with "hey rear end in a top hat, " their brain immediately turns into soothing elevator music.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The other thing to keep in mind is that doing it in real time from ice level is very different from being in the stands. Perspective matters a lot.

The offside video review is as good an example of this as anything - 10 options for cameras on replay and it's still a judgement call (that is sometimes judged wrong)

Powershift posted:

I don't know. When there's a rule where you're not allowed to slap another player in the face with your stick and someone slaps another player in the face with their stick as they're skating away, judgement doesn't seem like a huge part of it. When each team is only supposed to have 5 skaters playing on the ice and one team goes with 6 for a bit, that's more of a math thing. I give them the benefit of the doubt on the judgement calls, but 6 is more than 5, faces don't start spontaneously bleeding.

It's frustrating that important games can't be consistent. Teams do dumb poo poo and the refs let it go until it's completely out of hand, then completely crack down to the point where it feels like acting inconvenienced by a tap or tug can win you the game.

I can only imagine. Maybe that's why they seem to completely shut out criticism, it's automatic at this point. Any sentence that starts with "hey rear end in a top hat, " their brain immediately turns into soothing elevator music.

Well, wouldn't you tune out that sentence too? Let's say your boss walks in to your office and instead of saying 'hey I have some constructive criticism, you need to adjust your <thing you do> so that you can <meet job requirement> better' says 'hey fuckup you're a retard and I hate you, suck less'. Which of those is likely to be listened to?

The thing to remember is that the officials call the game to a standard chosen by the nhlpa and gms at the start of each season. They get direction like "don't call so much stickwork - it stifles the flow of the game", so they don't, and then people like you who think that the rule book is a magic black and white tool that gets applied perfectly in realtime every time lose their minds.

E: imagine further that a random bystander walks into your place of work and says the second version. I'm sure you'd listen respectfully and change your behaviour right?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Reffing is really, really hard to do well at the speed the NHL game happens. Next time you're at a game anywhere near the glass, stop and imagine that you have to see the whole ice all at the same time. It's not so hard to see a lot of what's going on from up high and you see everything on TV, but it's impossible on the ice and it's why refs miss things and the fact that they don't miss more is astonishing. I've reffed kids and beer league stuff and it's not hard to see what's going on because it's slow, but even then you still miss poo poo and everyone will ruthlessly let you know.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The Vancouver Canucks have resigned 1st line superstar Jayson Megna for another year. :smithicide:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Reffing is really, really hard to do well at the speed the NHL game happens. Next time you're at a game anywhere near the glass, stop and imagine that you have to see the whole ice all at the same time. It's not so hard to see a lot of what's going on from up high and you see everything on TV, but it's impossible on the ice and it's why refs miss things and the fact that they don't miss more is astonishing. I've reffed kids and beer league stuff and it's not hard to see what's going on because it's slow, but even then you still miss poo poo and everyone will ruthlessly let you know.

Fist bump fellow referee

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Do not referee children's sports. I've had my life threatened on more than one occasion while doing so.

If you feel like you must be a referee then referee adult rec leagues. They are far easier to deal with than rabid parents.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Do not referee children's sports. I've had my life threatened on more than one occasion while doing so.

If you feel like you must be a referee then referee adult rec leagues. They are far easier to deal with than rabid parents.

Honestly most of the time it's fine. There's often one parent on every team that doesn't have any self restraint if something happens to their future NHL star tho. I only had one game this year where I had to threaten the coach with halting the game unless he had a parent removed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're not looking at a situation where like John Scott is still a top 1000 hockey player in the world or something. Referees are not finely filtered into the NHL like players are. There's a lot of cronyism involved..

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I haven't reffed kids since I was a teenager, and didn't have any serious problems back then. I think a big part of that is that hockey wasn't as serious in the DC area in the 90s as it's become today and has been forever in a lot of other places.

Reffing grown rear end adults as a grown rear end adult did mean a lot of interactions I wouldn't describe as ideal, but I only had to have the police come once and it was for a loving weekly coed floor hockey league. lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Well, wouldn't you tune out that sentence too? Let's say your boss walks in to your office and instead of saying 'hey I have some constructive criticism, you need to adjust your <thing you do> so that you can <meet job requirement> better' says 'hey fuckup you're a retard and I hate you, suck less'. Which of those is likely to be listened to?

Does....does this not happen at your job?

glynnenstein posted:

But like Todd Mclellan said, it's fine when they don't see it, the problem is when they see it and don't call it. when there's a guy skating away on a breakaway, it should be easy to see that he was hooked enough to pull him off the puck or slapped in the face with a stick hard enough to bleed. When you see the whistle come up or the arm start to come up and nothing happens, it's frustrating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the situation is more like your boss walks into your office and says "hey I have some constructive criticism" and then you and 20 of your friends shout him down and refuse to accept it, and then if anyone else heard rumors of you being criticized you require him to write a personal apology.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Powershift posted:

But like Todd Mclellan said, it's fine when they don't see it, the problem is when they see it and don't call it. when there's a guy skating away on a breakaway, it should be easy to see that he was hooked enough to pull him off the puck or slapped in the face with a stick hard enough to bleed. When you see the whistle come up or the arm start to come up and nothing happens, it's frustrating.

Yeah, but that's not a ref performance thing, that's a standard of officiating that comes from On High.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Yeah, but that's not a ref performance thing, that's a standard of officiating that comes from On High.

It's also just a straight up "It's really hard to see in real time things that look obvious in slow mo" and until and unless the league does away with on-ice officials it's not gonna change.

Aphrodite posted:

We're not looking at a situation where like John Scott is still a top 1000 hockey player in the world or something. Referees are not finely filtered into the NHL like players are. There's a lot of cronyism involved..

At least where I have been involved in it it's very much a performance thing. The reason this doesn't always work is because otherwise great officials say gently caress it when they repeatedly get screamed at by adults, and so you're left with the ones who are most skilled of the subset willing to shrug off abuse, not just 'most skilled'

Sure like any job networking can help but you sure as poo poo don't get to doing junior+ hockey games without having a high level of skill.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was ready to drink bleach at the end of the second period tonight and then I felt better about my team in the third. Bring on the playoff preview Tuesday.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Will anyone remember CBJ was even in the playoffs come the 2nd round?

Pittsburgh will either have put them in their rearview mirror in a likely physical series or eliminated, at which point CBJ would get Washington which, based upon tonight, will be an entertaining series full of :unsmigghh:.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sure there is to a degree but imo NHL refs are among the best of any in pro sports (not saying much, granted) and generally do a pretty good job.

I mean especially compared to baseball and basketball officiating they're amazing in comparison

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure there is to a degree but imo NHL refs are among the best of any in pro sports (not saying much, granted) and generally do a pretty good job.

I mean especially compared to baseball and basketball officiating they're amazing in comparison

Or how about decisions made by race control in basically any motorsport series on the planet. If you think the NHL has a lot of "this thing racers are doing is okay oh wait no it's not you punished bro" try watching F1 for a while.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

xzzy posted:

Or how about decisions made by race control in basically any motorsport series on the planet. If you think the NHL has a lot of "this thing racers are doing is okay oh wait no it's not you punished bro" try watching F1 for a while.

Refs should give out more black flags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On re-reading that post I said some things in a stupid way that does not stand up to scrutiny but you get my point. :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, at least Jack Johnson Sportgame worked tonight:

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/848690491529076736

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, at least Jack Johnson Sportgame worked tonight:

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/848690491529076736

:laffo: Tom Wilson getting schooled by Jack Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010