Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

xamphear posted:

Wait, why are you trying to find a replacement for tree style tab? It's still actively updated and works with versions as high as 55.

Grinds the browser to a halt and doesn't work with e10s, or did they fix that recently? Because if they did then gently caress yeah.

E: Nope, just tried it on 52.0.2 and it didn't even work. Regardless of settings, tabs stay on the top.

Lum fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really like how tabs with sound playing have a small icon which lets you know which one has just started blaring out noise. But, when you have a huge number of tabs open, it becomes difficult to quickly hunt down which one is playing.

And, as sites which autoplay their media always have their volume set to 1million percent, it can get really annoying.

Now, there are some nice extensions which colourise tabs and even let you set specific colours for specific sites and stuff like that.

But none that I can find colourise media tabs to give you an clear and simple way of finding that errant noisy tab. Well, there was FabTab, but it's now riddled with spyware according to everyone at the Mozilla site.

TabMixPlus has tab colourising features (which I didn't even know about before I started looking at this) but none for tabs playing sound.

It seems like this would be a very handy feature, but I can't find any extension which lets you mark noisy tabs like this.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Sounds like something that should be suggested to TabMixPlus's dev. Seems like an ideal extension for that feature to appear in, and I know I'd appreciate it too.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 3, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lum posted:

Grinds the browser to a halt and doesn't work with e10s, or did they fix that recently? Because if they did then gently caress yeah.

E: Nope, just tried it on 52.0.2 and it didn't even work. Regardless of settings, tabs stay on the top.

I'm using Firefox 52.0.2 and Tree Style Tab 0.19.2017031101 with e10s enabled, and everything seems to work the same way it's always worked.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Gorilla Salad posted:

I really like how tabs with sound playing have a small icon which lets you know which one has just started blaring out noise. But, when you have a huge number of tabs open, it becomes difficult to quickly hunt down which one is playing.

If you have a habit of opening a lot of tabs in the background (i.e. by middle clicking links), try setting media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground to true in about :config

Doesn't work for tabs that you have looked at, then switched away, but my #1 issue is noisy background tabs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Done!

Noisy background tabs are the bane of my existence.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

Not seeing this on my end. Windows x64. Browser running fine, E10S enabled, 64 content processes, 52.0.2, tabs in a tree on the left. Been running E10S with multiple content processes and tree style tabs for... a year or more? Ever since it was possible to enable it via about :config.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
New UI for Firefox, coming in Nov with the end of 'classic' (read: non web-extension) add-ons.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Merkinman posted:

New UI for Firefox, coming in Nov with the end of 'classic' (read: non web-extension) add-ons.

:lol: Today I learned I'm the Firefox UI team lead!

It's just too bad I'll be sticking with the ESR version before this to keep my extensions, until they pry them from my cold dead hands.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Merkinman posted:

How are they so loving bad at making a browser

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I honestly think their Executive Chairwoman (Mitchell Baker) is poo poo-awful. It seems like she's been behind most of their worst initiative, and is putting the cart before the horse in terms of trying to secure a place in the market and funding for Mozilla, instead of focusing on making good user-focused products that benefit the open web.

Check out this article by Firefox OS developer Ben Francis about why it failed.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 3, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Alereon posted:

I honestly think their CEO is poo poo-awful. It seems like she's been behind most of their worst initiative...

Is there something you know about Chris Beard that the rest of us don't? :confused:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

Is there something you know about Chris Beard that the rest of us don't? :confused:
Sorry, I meant Mitchell Baker, her title is Executive Chairwoman, she makes the actual decisions. Edited!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Why does everyone online lose their minds every time they show off a new UI that's almost exactly the same thing as before

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

firefox UI dev quoted as saying "We just can't leave well enough alone!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

astral posted:

firefox UI dev quoted as saying "We just can't leave well enough alone!"

So, Mozilla hired former Google employees?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Why does everyone online lose their minds every time they show off a new UI that's almost exactly the same thing as before

Because this time they also want to take away our ability to make the UI less bad.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Klyith posted:

It's just too bad I'll be sticking with the ESR version before this to keep my extensions, until they pry them from my cold dead hands.
Honestly, I'm so satisfied with how Firefox works with E10S now that I would be happy to use an ESR of it for the next few years. I'll certainly be doing that rather than giving up Tree Style Tabs. If the ESR dies before there's a web-extension version of tree tabs, I might just switch browsers entirely. Who knows what the future holds!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xamphear posted:

If the ESR dies before there's a web-extension version of tree tabs, I might just switch browsers entirely. Who knows what the future holds!

Vivaldi?

I used Firefox from 2003 to 2016. The jank broke me. I reinstalled Firefox a few months ago and the drop in UI responsiveness was horrendous. Has anything changed since then?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Vivaldi?

I used Firefox from 2003 to 2016. The jank broke me. I reinstalled Firefox a few months ago and the drop in UI responsiveness was horrendous. Has anything changed since then?

Did you make sure multi-process was enabled?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

astral posted:

Did you make sure multi-process was enabled?

Isn't it enabled by default now?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Isn't it enabled by default now?

Last I knew, some addons could still block it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Last I knew, some addons could still block it.

Mine's off due to an add-on. Not sure which, guess I should go through incrementally until it breaks.

Is it usually one that requires a re-launch? That would make it easier to find.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Vivaldi?

The jank nearly drove me to find another browser. I bet more than half of my posts in this thread were me ranting about how janky Firefox is. E10S completely fixed it. It's no more janky than any other browser these days, and better than most.

Just force enable E10S via about :config, addons be damned. I was forcing it on for ages before my incompatible addons got fixed or shim'd. Most worked just fine, some had minor issues, and the one or two that broke bad I just removed.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So they're going back to square tabs after telling us up and down that we're wrong and australis is the hip new cool modern future trendy aesthetic that we should love? Maybe they realized that if people couldn't use addons to get rid of australis they'd just abandon FF on principle, if nothing else.

Centering the address bar is just weird.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Soft round corners was the Windows XP/7 aesthetic, things are solid colors with squared corners now and we gotta keep up!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I changed FF to square tabs simply because it meant I could get an entire extra tab per row. I use TabMixPlus to set them to a fixed width.

Aesthetics are one thing, but my screen real estate is precious.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i love having a separate search bar section with autocomplete adjacent to the address bar and I hope i get to keep that option. AS everone else has said, I don't get why they're making the browser less customizable when anyone who really feels intimidated by having extra options is just gonna stick with chrome or their OS's default anyway.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 4, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

syscall girl posted:

Mine's off due to an add-on. Not sure which, guess I should go through incrementally until it breaks.

Is it usually one that requires a re-launch? That would make it easier to find.

Install this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

It will add a line on each extension in the list that says if it is compatible with multiprocess or not.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Thauros posted:

i love having a separate search bar section with autocomplete adjacent to the address bar and I hope i get to keep that option. AS everone else has said, I don't get why they're making the browser less customizable when anyone who really feels intimidated by having extra options is just gonna stick with chrome or their OS's default anyway.

I have no idea if it was legit or not but I read the separate search bar will still be available in the customize panel.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nalin posted:

Install this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

It will add a line on each extension in the list that says if it is compatible with multiprocess or not.

Thanks.

I can't believe some crappy imgur uploader that doesn't even work anymore was all that was stopping me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

Install this extension:

They all checked out but it doesn't use multi process automatically, from the user facing checkbox or by setting it on in about :config.

"browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" worked though.

e: okay Strict Pop-up Blocker said "not compatible" in the add-ons tab but the compatibility checker didn't show it in the drop-down menu. It kept working after being forced but I disabled it since it's best not to rely on something that's being deprecated anyway. :toot:

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 4, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alereon posted:

I honestly think their Executive Chairwoman (Mitchell Baker) is poo poo-awful. It seems like she's been behind most of their worst initiative, and is putting the cart before the horse in terms of trying to secure a place in the market and funding for Mozilla, instead of focusing on making good user-focused products that benefit the open web.

Check out this article by Firefox OS developer Ben Francis about why it failed.

I agree that their upper management (regardless of who) seems overly concerned with user share and revenue for a non-profit foundation that's supposed to be about the open web. Really, why does it matter to their mission what % of market firefox has? Spending all their effort chasing after chrome doesn't make the web more open. Contrast the Mozilla Foundation with any of the other foundations that run an opensource software project, and the easy line to draw is that Mozilla behaves more like a corporation than a foundation.

OTOH I don't know what the story of Firefox OS proves, and I disagree with him about why it failed. When they got to that fork in the road, the other path wouldn't have led anywhere either. Nobody wanted a $30 smartphone with no apps, nobody would have wanted a more expensive smartphone focused on "web content" (because that web content still wouldn't include whatsapp). It was a dead idea from the beginning -- it's not like in 2011 anyone was unsure whether apps were important.

And after that you see the whole thing devolve into pet projects. Which is a thing that's happened with firefox as well, at times when it's been particularly rudderless.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Klyith posted:

Really, why does it matter to their mission what % of market firefox has?

Without user share, it'd be pretty hard to influence web standards (both at the W3C level and by helping to push sites towards using standard features instead of browser-specific extensions). On mobile, it's already really bad since every browser of note is Webkit-based, so mobile sites use "-webkit"-prefixed CSS all over. This is why Firefox was forced to parse "-webkit"-prefixed CSS, despite not being a Webkit-based browser.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nalin posted:

Install this extension:

Thanks for this.

Sadly, all my 'non-essential quality of life' extensions seem to be non compatible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nalin posted:

Install this extension:

Also thanks. FlashStopper was incompatible. :( Any other alternatives to prevent autoplaying crap?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Uninstall flash, set media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground in about:config

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ola posted:

Also thanks. FlashStopper was incompatible. :( Any other alternatives to prevent autoplaying crap?

There is a setting in about :config that might be what you are looking for. Go into about :config and search for media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground and set it to true. Like it sounds, anything that would start automatically when a new tab is created (like a YouTube video, for example) doesn't start until the tab is clicked on, and although you can't toggle it on and off they even give you a play button at the end of the tabs that are being stopped.

edit: beaten, but yeah.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Anyone have replacement suggestions for Save File to (crucial one), imgur .gifv (meh), or Strict pop-up blocker (don't know if this even works tbqh)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks, I've got that setting already. Great for my tab flinging habit while browsing youtube, but doesn't work for autoplaying stuff on the page I'm currently reading, such as all loving news media these days. The autoplay bastards are on to the uninstall flash game as well, by using html5. And flashstopper (which also blocks html5) doesn't just keep it paused, but it prevents loading and caching as well, so it's a great addon. I'll see what I can best make do without, and tip the flashstopper devs about the problem.

edit: or maybe just read the addon page:

quote:

Multiprocess incompatible (there is an e10s version in the dev channel)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/flashstopper/

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 4, 2017