Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dissss posted:

Yeah, whats worse is the system is stuck on now so I get thirty seconds of beeping every time I go to reverse out of the garage just to remind me I'm a moron.

Vanagoon posted:

I had a 99 Camry once. There is all kinds of Styrofoam and poo poo in the way. You have to remove the bumper cover to smack it straight again.

I managed not to earn a Camry Dent.

I wrecked the loving thing instead. :haw:

Oh, duh, yeah. Forgot about how much crap is behind the skin. I'd do it, though. But I'm mechanically inclined in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can be, yes, but how often are they? Last time I had a leak on my C10's copper/brass radiator, I couldn't find a shop that would fix it. Wouldn't have been much cheaper than a new one anyway.

Yeah, radiator shops used to be a lot more common, and therefore cheaper, I guess. I haven't had to have one fixed or replaced in quite a few years, knock on wood.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, I can't blame them. The Modine in my C10 was sub-$200 for a brand new one. The no-name radiator I put in the Ranger when it split an end tank was less than half of that. At that price there's no margin for a repair shop, and I'm sure they don't want the liability of a radiator that's failed once failing again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Swapped the OEM wheels back onto the WRX. It has been on winter wheels since two days after I bought it. Hopefully we don't get any more ice or snow but the extended weather forecast is calling for mild weather and nothing more than rain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Car got pissed on by a possum at work and left a dirty great red stain in the bonnet which CT18 wouldnt shift. So I had to attack it with a cutting compound. Which highlighted just how terrible the rest of the paint on the car was...

So that turned into an 8hr effort to mechanically cut the oxide off the paint with the rotary polisher, then give it a once over with a paint renovator by hand, then wax it with a hard shell wax by hand.

At least it looks shiny and white again!

Went from that

Paint was.... Not good...

To that. Next time Im just going to lean it against a tree or something and get a body shop to make the paint shiny under insurance! :lol:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Did my first proper round of maintenance since I got the bugeye WRX, put in a new aircon filter, and intake air filter. PO had some kind of aftermarket filter in there, the kind with a wire mesh, but I went with a regular OEM style one. Also changed the oil, according to the sticker on the door jamb, PO put in full racing spec Wako's 10w50 for some reason but I changed back to a more daily drive friendly 5w30 from Takumi, who I hadn't tried before but their 1L cans weren't disproportionately expensive (4.5L capacity be damned) so I gave it a try. It's noticeably smoother on the low end now.

Also put in a sweet new head unit, then an amp, then realized the amp uses the same amplification chip as the head unit so all it really did was make it louder. (babby's first amp :blush:) I'd have thought about returning it but it came with its own harness and I snipped the wires for length during the install :negative: Goodbye :10bux:x10

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its not a big thing, but I finally got around to making my aftermarket diff lockers work with the factory diff lock lights on the instrument cluster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJyDRIQvY8

Nice not having to look at the centre console to see if your lockers are engaged or not now (if you cant tell by the horrid driving behavior)

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Just ripped the alternator out of my 94 integra. Turns out it was original. Fucker was rusted into the lower bracket hard enough it took an hour of penetrative lube and a hammer to reclaim the bolt. I seem to have gained a bit of idle surge for my troubles. It's 4am, I'm gonna start drinking.

E: that alternator could drink. Fuckin A

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Finally had a good chance to replace the oil seal at the rear end end of the camshaft that blew out a few weeks ago and hot drat it looks like it is holding. Not a drop of oil on the firewall where it was previously spewing. As long as the valve cover doesn't start leaking now that is done and done.

It's fixed! Again! For now!

Side note, the Weber carb is working beautifully. There's still a bit of a surge when you mash the pedal but the truck is running smoother than it has ever run while I've owned it. :buddy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Just ripped the alternator out of my 94 integra. Turns out it was original. Fucker was rusted into the lower bracket hard enough it took an hour of penetrative lube and a hammer to reclaim the bolt. I seem to have gained a bit of idle surge for my troubles. It's 4am, I'm gonna start drinking.

I did the alt on my 94 Civic last year and it was a similar experience. I had to cut the lower bolt to get it out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If it makes you feel any better, even in rust-free states, those drat things rust into place on all 80s-90s Hondas.

I had a hell of a time getting the alternator out of my 96 Civic, in 1999. It had been in DFW for its entire life.

Also, idle surge on a Honda of that era is usually a vacuum leak. Look at your brake booster line to see if you gave it a new love hole.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If it makes you feel any better, even in rust-free states, those drat things rust into place on all 80s-90s Hondas.

I had a hell of a time getting the alternator out of my 96 Civic, in 1999. It had been in DFW for its entire life.

Also, idle surge on a Honda of that era is usually a vacuum leak. Look at your brake booster line to see if you gave it a new love hole.

It was indeed a vacuum leak, in the hours long struggle I popped off the vacuum hose for the fuel pressure regulator. I found it just chilling on the intake manifold today. Maybe working on a car at 4am in a parking garage isn't the best idea. Quick fixes for momentary stupidity are the best.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Did an oil change and oil filter change for the first time at the weekend. Also discovered first hand why you don't put a car up on one axle stand then jack up the other side. Luckily no damage was caused.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've never dropped a car doing that, but I also know that you can't lift a side very far in one go, you have to stagger it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

One of the worst repair jobs I've ever had to do was an alternator on a friend of a friend's 93 Accord at night in the middle of January. In fact that job is the reason I don't work on other people's cars anymore without getting at least $60 up front. gently caress that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

First oil change on the '17 WRX. Easiest oil change ever. Filter right on top, drain plug not blocked in by anything...good work, Subaru.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

First oil change on the '17 WRX. Easiest oil change ever. Filter right on top, drain plug not blocked in by anything...good work, Subaru.

Its only taken engineers until now to figure this poo poo out.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Today I put in an order for a gearbox rebuild on the Skyline after third and fourth stopped chooching and instead just free rev. This wouldn't be so bad considering that the car is 16 this year and it has had a hard life except that gearbox has only been in the car 12 months.

The good news is that the rebuild is going to net me some gains in power transfer. Going a little silly with a 3k stallie and replacing some plastic bits with billeted bits to bring the gearbox up to what the shop is calling stage 3 which they say should be good for 400kw to the road. Now I just need to ship the gearbox 1600km and then back.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do "stage"-anything matter? I mean, is there a standard?

Not dissing a new transmission rebuild. Just reminded me of that question.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Absolutely not. I think its more for segmenting upgrades into manageable packages.

That and everyone loves a bit of wank.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Laserface posted:

Its only taken engineers until now to figure this poo poo out.

Yeah I remember doing oil changes ten years ago on Subarus with the goddamn filter inside the exhaust. gently caress whoever thought that was a less than abominable idea.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is just a way for tuners to create packages of upgrades they can sell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Swore at it for several hours, tried to listen to the internet when the internet claimed "you can do this job without removing the steering column, just loosen the bolts on it and work around it", eventually removed the steering column after throwing my tools across the parking lot several times. Wish I'd done that to begin with, the entire job probably would have taken an hour and a half had I done that to start with.. instead of 4 hours. Even managed to get the steering wheel centered pretty well - a ~2 mile drive had it right where I'm used to it being, despite it being removed while incredibly angry and not marking anything (column was locked though).

Junkyard clutch pedal installed. New to me pedal still showed signs of cracking, but bits of cut up plastic, superglue, tape, and crossed fingers will guarantee this one will last a bit longer. :ohdear:

I don't think a clutch pedal is supposed to have a hole where the pushrod to the master cylinder tickles it.

Now to teach myself how to use a clutch all over again..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 31, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

They also used offset connecting rod bearings which means you can remove the rods and pistons without splitting the block. This is a good feature since Subaru still hasn't figured out how to make pistons/ringlands not made out of silly puddy...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was that an issue on the EJ25?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not my ride, cross posted

Rhyno posted:

My friend's car is hosed.

She described some shuddering and hesitation when driving so I swung by and ran the codes. Came back misfire in cyl 4. So we figured it's either plugs or the coil. I was already heading to the JY today so I found a coil ($9) and then went to her house to swap it out and see if it helped.

Didn't even get that far. Pulled the #4 coil.

Oil. Covering the entire plug.

Pulled #3, then #2

More oil.

#1 was bone dry

Googling tells me this is a valve cover gasket failure? Seems a bit extreme for that. Any thoughts?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's obviously the alternator.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I'm betting it was the gasket and it was driven stupidly hard while it was "shuddering"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm betting it was the gasket and it was driven stupidly hard while it was "shuddering"

I hope it's just the gasket. She said as soon as the CEL came on she parked it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Was that an issue on the EJ25?

On the 08 and up turbo models, yes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy hell, I've never seen a gasket "leak" (that's a loving waterfall) that much and fail so fantastically.

Yesterday I swapped the summer tires on both cars, tried for the 2nd time to tighten up the front ball joint nut. There's been a persistent front end clunk after installing a new ball joint/arm installed and I wonder if the parts are just lovely. It's way past 62 ft-lbs as the torque spec. Also finished putting on the clips I ordered for the rear bumper that I broke on removal like a month or two ago, so now it sits a little better.

Can't wait to actually drive spiritedly again. :getin:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Larrymer posted:

It's way past 62 ft-lbs as the torque spec.

Is that a normal spec? My lugs are supposed to torque to 100lbs, 62 seems really low.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Night Danger Moose posted:

Is that a normal spec? My lugs are supposed to torque to 100lbs, 62 seems really low.

It's not for the wheels, it's for the ball joint nut.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Parked it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I willing to bet the valve cover was removed at some point and they didn't replace those two gaskets.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Parked it.

I dont know if its a regional thing and I dont know the frequency this occurs but holy poo poo I am lucky if I see one car a month parked THAT badly.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Got kinky today with coffee, energy drinks and di.fm followed by beers and more di.fm and gave the 330ci the paint detailing it desperately needed. Wash, claybar, polishing compound and finally two layers of wax and some trim shine. 4.5 hours... I really need to buy an orbital polisher and stop doing this poo poo by hand ffs. Also, a drcolorchip kit and new wheels.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
First time I've ever heard another person talk about di.fm

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Laserface posted:

I dont know if its a regional thing and I dont know the frequency this occurs but holy poo poo I am lucky if I see one car a month parked THAT badly.

It's Florida. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Laserface posted:

You'll note that all of the uh, park asses are all from Florida as well so I can't even blame snowbirds for this. Just older whiter up-their-own-asses people to be jerks about it. Especially because snowbird season is still going on so traffic is still bad and places like parking spaces are still at a premium. One of my favorite things is to park real close to their passenger door while still being within my lines as driving a RHD vehicle in the US means I can do that all day and still get out no problem.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got kinky today with coffee, energy drinks and di.fm followed by beers and more di.fm and gave the 330ci the paint detailing it desperately needed. Wash, claybar, polishing compound and finally two layers of wax and some trim shine. 4.5 hours... I really need to buy an orbital polisher and stop doing this poo poo by hand ffs. Also, a drcolorchip kit and new wheels.

Sharp.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 3, 2017