Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone remind me what's up with the animals in the opening?

It's an anime opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The OP is called "Dedicate Your Hearts". One of the core tenets of Attack on Titan is that stagnancy is an awful thing, and that it is in the struggle to live that creatures are alive. That goes for everything, every living being has a "heart". And as they struggle to survive they will naturally consume other creatures that are trying to survive. Even the huge predators, enormous forces of nature that crush us, are still living breathing beings.

There's also an elephant and a giraffe because I guess they ran out of huge predators? :shrug:

Sasageyo~

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love that they're doing the whole "the ED is all out of context spoilers" thing

El Burbo posted:

Back before the outside world stuff and the coup, this series feels way different

No kidding. It's so weird to see it back from before we went all into politics

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
god drat i love the end theme, its so darkly ironic. actually i always like the snk eds

the ops tend to lean on protofascist militarism and inspiration, then the ends take a step back and go "yeah this is how and where it will lead us"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

The OP is called "Dedicate Your Hearts". One of the core tenets of Attack on Titan is that stagnancy is an awful thing, and that it is in the struggle to live that creatures are alive. That goes for everything, every living being has a "heart". And as they struggle to survive they will naturally consume other creatures that are trying to survive. Even the huge predators, enormous forces of nature that crush us, are still living breathing beings.

Not sure if it's significant, but you can also read it as "Sacrifice Your Hearts".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phobophilia posted:

god drat i love the end theme, its so darkly ironic. actually i always like the snk eds

the ops tend to lean on protofascist militarism and inspiration, then the ends take a step back and go "yeah this is how and where it will lead us"

And the OPs tend to be way more energetic and catchy while the EDs tend to be more realistic while maybe not being very catchy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I sure hope none of the anime only people try to google Beast Titan

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I really wasn't looking forward to Miche's death scene and the anime delivered on making it even worse to watch than it was to read.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Season two is pretty good so far.

Rewatching season one, to rewind this way back, (my apologies) was it ever explained why the Titan shifters help out at Trost at all? They start the attack and then turn around and fight against it and I don't remember if that got justified.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

They were waiting for the titans to gather first for ~reasons~

Then Eren's titan showed up and their plan changed

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Flesnolk posted:

Rewatching season one, to rewind this way back, (my apologies) was it ever explained why the Titan shifters help out at Trost at all? They start the attack and then turn around and fight against it and I don't remember if that got justified.

They didn't want to blow their cover yet?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

There goal was to draw the progenitor out. Once they found one of the nine they immediately shifted to trying to capture it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So does the season 2 ending imply that they're going to get to the basement by the end of the season? Won't they need to really rush for that?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I *think* 12 episodes means they'll get to eren's capture/rescue from Bert and Ernie. I would pick his activation of the coordinate power as the finale because that's probably the hypest moment in the entire series, but also I can't see any other spot to end it on nearby that's not an outright depressing cliffhanger.

edit: man it's going to be really loving weird seeing Dinah again.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I saw a theory that all the animals running with Monkey Trouble in the op represent the other eight titan shifters, so I guess that could be a thing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro Ambulance posted:

I saw a theory that all the animals running with Monkey Trouble in the op represent the other eight titan shifters, so I guess that could be a thing?

Nah there are too many.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The end credits was awesome how it showed all those images from Grisha's books.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
92 spoilers: Mule Titan digivolves to Metal Mule Titan

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lmao thats amazing

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if that means the mule Titan can stay in Titan form for longer than the other shifters. Eren's limit was 30 minutes IIRC and although he's still inexperienced the max limit is probably still pretty short.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I dont understand what's happening anymore who are these marleans fighting :psyduck:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy poo poo, it really, really is Meat Suit Gundam: Stardust Massacre now. I am on totally on board with this development.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Xun posted:

I dont understand what's happening anymore who are these marleans fighting :psyduck:

There has been a 3/4 year time skip. After the failed mission to capture the Coordinate where Marley lost two of their titans The Middle Eastern Coalition declared war on them. The last two chapters depicted the end of the final decisive battle of the war. Marley won the war but now the world knows that the Titans time is limited and their days as invincible weapons are over. Soon technology will render them obsolete.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pensive posted:

There has been a 3/4 year time skip. After the failed mission to capture the Coordinate where Marley lost two of their titans The Middle Eastern Coalition declared war on them. The last two chapters depicted the end of the final decisive battle of the war. Marley won the war but now the world knows that the Titans time is limited and their days as invincible weapons are over. Soon technology will render them obsolete.

The ability to turn into a titan would always be an amazing ability even if not used in open combat. The ability to just hulk out and destroy your enemies bases and cities with no warning is always going to be a great. It is basically the atomic bomb version of a suicide bomber.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The whole human beings transforming into mindless titans after parachuting was really weird. They seemed to be mindless in human form as well. As though they were transformed back into humans temporarily by the beast titan. There is so much about this world that is unknown, I hope the series doesn't end too soon.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hamelekim posted:

The whole human beings transforming into mindless titans after parachuting was really weird. They seemed to be mindless in human form as well. As though they were transformed back into humans temporarily by the beast titan. There is so much about this world that is unknown, I hope the series doesn't end too soon.

I just assume they were drugged or brainwashed into a state of euphoria to keep them compliant, and transformed as a result of Zeke somehow triggering the transformation by yelling.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's likely what happened in Connie's village: people were given a titan serum whose effects Zeke can suppress/activate, perhaps even revert, and had already gone mindless like titans despite being in human form.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah, it looks like zeke did something weird, he did a roar before the parachuting eldians titanized. still not clear if those eldians were already primed to titanize, or if zeke can actively induce titanization

im guessing the latter, else he would have used it as a weapon against the survey corps

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm really liking this timeskip and the pseudo ww1 vibes/technology. Took maybe a chapter to wrap my head around what was going on exactly in the grand scale of the world/story but that's mostly cuz of translations
It's exciting to realize this could really go anywhere, it already has

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hey guys maybe use spoiler tags when talking about a chapter that isn't even out yet?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/92

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

Hey guys maybe use spoiler tags when talking about a chapter that isn't even out yet?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is boring, when are we gonna get to see the Wall people committing horrific war atrocities on the Marley already.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
This chapter made better use of the modern technology conceit then I gave it credit for during the basement reveal. Really digging the flash forward.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This is it, this is Attack on Titan now.

I know they want to portray them as xenophobic assholes but still marleyans are pretty stupid wasting most of those titans and saying 60% of them died with the drop like it's nothing when they completely rely on them and are a limited resource.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Petiso posted:

I know they want to portray them as xenophobic assholes but still marleyans are pretty stupid wasting most of those titans and saying 60% of them died with the drop like it's nothing when they completely rely on them and are a limited resource.

They aren't a limited resource, they can make more. Just grab some jews eldians and inject them some titan juice.

The important ones are the inheritor titans, and as it's readily apparent, Marley doesn't commit them if chances are too high of losing them - it's why they first took out the armored train then did the aerial titan drop/bombardment as a cover.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also they basically totally obliterated the base on impact and the surviving 40% mopped the rest up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that the Titans are really, really light for their size? That would probably make them ineffective for a kinetic bombardment.