Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It amuses me to no end how people will debate plot logic, continuity, and possible foreshadowing when it comes to a wild, improvisational adventure whose writers actively poo poo on the idea of complex long-term story arcs.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

About that explosion: the bugs really didn't do their homework since it had Beth blown to itty bitty pieces.

Also the guy saw a glimpse of the real version of that memory with his wife and Beth leaving through a portal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Boiled Water posted:

About that explosion: the bugs really didn't do their homework since it had Beth blown to itty bitty pieces.

I mean it wouldn't even be the first time on screen Rick peaced out and assumed another Rick's life.

I mean if the original family was 'his' he just left Beth and Summer in the hosed up timeline anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I need to watch it again, but Rick's monologue to Morty at the end of the episode seemed to brush up pretty close to the whole "Rick knows he's on a tv show" fan theory. And didn't Harmon say they had some secret in-joke about the show but fans guessed it so they decided not to do it or something? Did anything else come out of that? :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I need to watch it again, but Rick's monologue to Morty at the end of the episode seemed to brush up pretty close to the whole "Rick knows he's on a tv show" fan theory.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant :allears: Does Rick know he's in a tv show when he talks about plot arcs and seasons?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant :allears: Does Rick know he's in a tv show when he talks about plot arcs and seasons?

It seems that way. In the past he talked about catchphrases which was already meta, but I think that's as bad as it got?

The only other mention of seasons I can think of was that one post-episode Mr.Poopybutthole, but since he watches the show himself... man I don't know. The show is ridiculous :cheeky:

But yeah, that speech by Rick there seemed pretty wild. Literally discussing the show's seasons in the show.

Ultimately:

It amuses me to no end how people will debate plot logic, continuity, and possible foreshadowing when it comes to a wild, improvisational adventure whose writers actively poo poo on the idea of complex long-term story arcs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
People who worked at McDonalds at the time say it's a plum sauce. So stuff like plums, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and something to add a kick like a chili sauce.

People recreate the taste with recipes that can feature: soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, bbq sauce, fruity alcohol, fruit juice, garlic, red pepper, and/or other spices.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zaphod42 posted:

But... it wouldn't be Rick & Morty to just have a happy ending where Rick and Jerry put aside their differences for Beth. Right?

My guess is that Rick is going to decide that Beth without Jerry is too annoying and needy to deal with; so he's going to get them back together not because he cares about his daughters emotional well being, but rather because it's more convenient for him when she has a husband around to distract her.

Or maybe Jerry and Beth will just stay broken up, that works too.

It's human nature to want to find patterns and significance in nonsense.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My guess is that Rick is going to decide that Beth without Jerry is too annoying and needy to deal with; so he's going to get them back together not because he cares about his daughters emotional well being, but rather because it's more convenient for him when she has a husband around to distract her.

Or maybe Jerry and Beth will just stay broken up, that works too.

There is another way things can go...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Morty Rick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a whole bunch of youtube videos that have long complex theories explaing poo poo like how Mr Poopy Butthole was real all the time or how Krombopulous Michael is still alive in some reality. A lot of them are about 10 minutes long, it's ridiculous.

Say Nothing posted:

Morty Rick.

Yeah, it's too tall to be a Rick Morty
https://pocketmortys.net/mortys/paper/146-rick-morty

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 3, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

1. Fantastic as always. :thumbsup:

2. Did you also design the five dead flies? I thought that was great.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

prefect posted:

1. Fantastic as always. :thumbsup:

2. Did you also design the five dead flies? I thought that was great.

Thanks, I did not design the flies though, that was done before i came on to this season by Justin Noel. http://imjustinoel.tumblr.com/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

prefect posted:

It'd be a Hell of a brick joke if this guy (who's name I can't remember) actually does end up being a recurring character as Morty's step-dad because Beth remarries.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It'd be a Hell of a brick joke if this guy (who's name I can't remember) actually does end up being a recurring character as Morty's step-dad because Beth remarries.

Paul Fleishman (spelling uncertain).

Typical posted:

Thanks, I did not design the flies though, that was done before i came on to this season by Justin Noel. http://imjustinoel.tumblr.com/

I swear, the stuff you artistic people do, it seems like alien sorcery to me. I'm more on Jerry's level.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

What episode is that guy from?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

What episode is that guy from?

Mortynight Run. He's in the Jerry day care.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PostNouveau posted:

Mortynight Run. He's in the Jerry day care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIrLNcIa37o

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

prefect posted:

Paul Fleishman (spelling uncertain).

I swear, the stuff you artistic people do, it seems like alien sorcery to me. I'm more on Jerry's level.

Hahaa, i'm dying because in this screenshot you posted, i colored that image that Jerry is drawing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Do you want to see my pog collection?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

El Jeffe posted:

Rick says a lot of things. The fact that young Beth is there (in the "origin story" part) means that at least some of it was from memory and not imagination. My thought is that most of that part was made-up, especially the formula, but his family dying really happened which set in motion his dimension-hopping years.

Here's another clue that the memory was totally made up: Rick never even lived in that house, he set the fake memory in a house he saw on TV:

It's Walter White's house from Breaking Bad

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pakled posted:

...I don't know for sure but it seems like McD's could run into copyright issues with bringing back the sauce, even under a different name.

I'd like to say it'd be crazy for Disney to assert copyright on the premise of Szechuan sauce, but apparently their IP lawyers are demonic sorcerers. So maybe, yeah.

Somehow, I don't see McDonald's being compelled by nerds to launch a product because an Adult Swim show referenced it. But I guess popular outcry salvaged the Shamrock Shake, so crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if that product still exists in some foreign market.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Rick and Morty was recently referenced on the TV show Mom, where the main character talks to a teenage character that was adopted by one of her friends about how much she likes the show (complete with "Wub-a-lub-a-dub-dub!" shouts).

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Xealot posted:

I'd like to say it'd be crazy for Disney to assert copyright on the premise of Szechuan sauce, but apparently their IP lawyers are demonic sorcerers. So maybe, yeah.

Somehow, I don't see McDonald's being compelled by nerds to launch a product because an Adult Swim show referenced it. But I guess popular outcry salvaged the Shamrock Shake, so crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if that product still exists in some foreign market.

As long as they don't call it Mulan sauce, Disney has absolutely zero say over any recipe. That's not how things work.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Szechuan-sauce story is almost certainly a personal anecdote by one of the writers, but how good it tastes may stem from the writer's 19-year nostalgia for the stuff, and even it returns it may not be the same recipe as the one made in 1998.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Haaa, I keep noticing little background details. Fake memory Rick (who had come really close to inventing an entirely new method of travel, he just wasn't quite capable of completing it on his own) had a bunch of papers stuck up on the wall:

That sketch is Da Vinci's aerial screw:

Da Vinci had also come really close to inventing an entirely new method of travel but he never got it working.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's probably my least favorite episode so far, but it will be worth it if it means that we got rid of the Council of Ricks. It was a nice concept for a couple episodes, but it's too much baggage for the show's universe to have a thousand alternate dimension versions of the main character around.

My prediction for this season's theme is a parallel telling of Ricks backstory about his wife leaving him, with an arc about Beth leaving Jerry in turn. I have no idea how it will develop though because:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems that way. In the past he talked about catchphrases which was already meta, but I think that's as bad as it got?

At the end of season 1 he's like "roll the credits, wooo! that's the end of season 1!". It's nothing new.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'm really glad they opened up Jerry to the possibilities of living in a sad divorced dad apartment complex and having Morty & Summer visit and sleep on his futon every other weekend.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress Szechuan sauce, I just want McDonald's to bring back honey mustard. Why'd they even get rid of it in the first place?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
As an Australian I want the Curry Sauce back from when they introduced mcnuggets over here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vae_TZKj8CU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phylodox posted:

gently caress Szechuan sauce, I just want McDonald's to bring back honey mustard. Why'd they even get rid of it in the first place?

Why do/did they have one size for barbecue/honey mustard/sweet and sour, but just a tiny little container for honey? :mad:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Xealot posted:

Why Rick was ever married or a parent in the first place is the question I have. There's gotta be a weirder, more hosed up situation there from day 1.

My lovely fanfic: Rick's original wife was also an amoral genius, but something happened between them and he self-medicated by banging a dumber multiverse doppelgänger of her. Then he dipped when he realized the doppelgänger wasn't as interesting, but Beth had already been born.

Or, Rick just needed a daughter for Morty to exist because of determinist time travel shenanigans.

We don't really know that Rick was married, do we? For all we know he could've just had a bit of the old sexaroo with a lady in a dimension and forgot to wear a space condom or something.

Arven posted:

My wife just pointed out that the "real" Rick (and any body he is inhabiting) is the only one that drools. I love the attention to detail in this show.

Oh wow that's cool, not noticed that before.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Haaa, I keep noticing little background details. Fake memory Rick (who had come really close to inventing an entirely new method of travel, he just wasn't quite capable of completing it on his own) had a bunch of papers stuck up on the wall:

That sketch is Da Vinci's aerial screw:

Da Vinci had also come really close to inventing an entirely new method of travel but he never got it working.
That's a neat detail.

Assuming that the flashback has a kernel of truth in it when it comes to the origin of portal technology, this might explain a bit about the Council of Ricks - the 6 leaders might be the first Ricks to invent the portal gun, and they then went out and recruited the other Ricks. After all, somebody must have invented the first interdimensional portal gun to share with other Ricks.

I think it's a weird little detail that the other Rick had the same skintone as Rick Prime. Considering the brief flashback of Diane and Beth stood in front of/leaving through a portal (which obviously is not how things went down in the fake memory), and that Rick's comment of 'let's see how long that lasts', it makes you wonder if the memory was based on real events - it's just it was a different Rick that experienced them. So Rick Prime (possibly even a founding member of the council - they certainly seem to hold a personal malus against him later) attempts to recruit Blue Pants Rick to the council & fails, the council tries to kill Blue Pants Rick, who loses his family and then hunts down Rick Prime in the belief he's responsible. Which would lead to Rick Prime learning about what happened and presumably getting disgusted with the council and quitting.

Or maybe a fake memory is just a fake memory, but hey, wild speculation is fun!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
All these cool background details are very cool and interesting. Love the Breaking Bad reference.

Typical posted:

glad y'all liked the episode. please enjoy these drawings and 3D models I made that are a small contribution to the herculean effort it takes to make 22 minutes of animation.

This is all very cool, thanks for posting them. I always thought it would be super difficult to design 3D transformer type stuff. Is it quite a struggle to think, or easier than you might guess?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 3, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jedrick posted:

The line about the mannequin leg was loving gold.

The mid-dialog jokes that just get passed over in this show are great.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Megaspel posted:

We don't really know that Rick was married, do we? For all we know he could've just had a bit of the old sexaroo with a lady in a dimension and forgot to wear a space condom or something.

Marriage license or not, Rick was definitely around long enough for Beth to grow attached to him and for him leaving to leave a deep impact.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Mace Bacon posted:

As an Australian I want the Curry Sauce back from when they introduced mcnuggets over here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vae_TZKj8CU

We still have "sweet curry" McNugget sauce in the UK

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The entire episode just felt like Jerry Tenorman Must Die to me.

I'm not disparaging that, but it's the feeling I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

StealthArcher posted:

The entire episode just felt like Jerry Tenorman Must Die to me.

I'm not disparaging that, but it's the feeling I got.

South Park wishes it could be as brilliant and Rick & Morty.