Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:siren: Hey guess what's back and premiering on AMC April 10, 2017: :siren:

The story thus far of the backalley-grifter-gone-legit-lawyer-gone-meth-money-laundering-fixer from Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman nee Jimmy McGill, has left Jimmy confessing to his brother Chuck to having tampered with the documents on which Chuck's recent maneuver to secure the business of clients Mesa Verde depended, making it look like Chuck and HHM were incompetent and losing them the business in favor of Jimmy and Kim Wexler—but Chuck was secretly recording Jimmy's confession the whole time, so even though Chuck still seems pretty crazy, he's crazy like a fox. (deep breath) Also, decrepit but badass ex-cop Mike Ehrmantraut was all set to put a bullet through drug kingpin Hector Salamanca from a bluff across the way from his desert hideout, but he got warned off by a mysterious someone who left a note on the windshield saying DON'T.

IT'S REALLY GOOD YOU GUYS, IT'S TOTALLY NOT A BORING LAW TALKING SOAP OPERA SHOW.

So where to next with Chuck's scheming ways and Mike's underworld assassinations? Who knows, because the big news for this season hinges on the reveal that Gus Fring is going to be in it

Here's a Forbes story that discusses AMC's marketing stunt centering around this reveal, which hardly qualifies as a spoiler with them drawing this much attention to it.

NOT appearing in the new season is Walter White, so get that out of your heads right now. But he's in the behind-the-scenes 3-minute teaser that just recently dropped. It looks like they're having lots of fun recreating Los Pollos Hermanos and getting the old gang back together for another fun filled season of legal intrigue, dramatic tension, violent standoffs, protracted anticipation of characters' evolution, cocobolo desks, foil-covered walls, and beautifully shot views of scenic Albuquerque!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

IT'S REALLY GOOD YOU GUYS, IT'S TOTALLY NOT A BORING LAW TALKING SOAP OPERA SHOW.

This is 100% true. Do not mistake this as a legal drama. The legal stuff is more the background engine the way meth was Breaking Bad's background engine. It's used to drive the stories, more than the stories being about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only a week away? YES!

I loved season 1 but season 2 was even better and I can't wait to see what happens between Jimmy and Chuck next.

P.S, gently caress Chuck :mad:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

OP why is this not called Better Call Saul Season 3 - gently caress Chuck? Because yeah, gently caress Chuck.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I hope they don't bring in Fring until the last few episodes. They need to flesh out the dynamic between Hector, Nacho, Mike, and the Twins some more.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh god, I forgot about this rear end in a top hat. Agreed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chuck the duck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is such a good show.

In looking forward to the new season, over the last month or so I rewatched the entirety of Breaking Bad and both seasons of Better Call Saul. Bunch of little connections I hadn't noticed before -- for instance, the fancy brand of tequila that Fring used to poison the cartel members is the same brand that Jimmy and Kim are buying when they scam the stockbroker (who is, incidentally, the same guy who gets his car torched by Walt years later). And near the end of season 2, Jimmy and Kim eat at a hot dog restaurant with a distinctive sign, where Jesse sells meth at the beginning of Breaking Bad.

Can't wait for the 10th.

Currently, what I'm actually looking forward to the most is seeing if maybe they explain how Tio Salamanca went from a reasonably healthy seeming man in his ~60s to mute and wheelchair-bound in the span of less than five years (I think BCS is currently set in 2003, and Breaking Bad starts in 2008). Stroke? Accident? Assassination attempt? All three? I hope they keep following his story.

e: gently caress Chuck

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 3, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The showrunners do love their little nods.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Can't wait, I love BCS more than its parent show. I just hope there's ultimately something good waiting for Jimmy at the very end of the Cinnabon days because lord knows, he kept trying for the longest time only to get poo poo on constantly.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I hope that copier guy who was in that funny short movie a few years ago about 2 guys having an intense conversation in a parking garage is back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yYTY3BGr5A

I was one of like 10 people who cheered when he showed up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just marathoned season 2 this weekend since it just popped up on Netflix. Think I'll need to find a way to keep up with this season week to week rather then wait for it pop up on netflix again.

Sentinel Red posted:

I just hope there's ultimately something good waiting for Jimmy at the very end of the Cinnabon days because lord knows, he kept trying for the longest time only to get poo poo on constantly.

Same.

The Cinnabon bits are supposed to be post Breaking Bad, right?

Also regarding the Chuck situation: While I agree "gently caress Chuck" - what's the full score look like? The one flashback showed us Chuck wasn't lying about Jimmy taking money from their dad, right? And tampering with the documents is incredibly underhanded. Did Chuck actually have any responsibility for Kim being put in the doghouse? It seemed like he was telling his partner to not blame her? Otherwise, it does seem like a lot of this is borne out of incredibly pettiness - and while Jimmy has pulled some poo poo on Chuck, he does seem to genuinely care and look out for his brother.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

The Cinnabon bits are supposed to be post Breaking Bad, right?

Also regarding the Chuck situation: While I agree "gently caress Chuck" - what's the full score look like? The one flashback showed us Chuck wasn't lying about Jimmy taking money from their dad, right? And tampering with the documents is incredibly underhanded. Did Chuck actually have any responsibility for Kim being put in the doghouse? It seemed like he was telling his partner to not blame her? Otherwise, it does seem like a lot of this is borne out of incredibly pettiness - and while Jimmy has pulled some poo poo on Chuck, he does seem to genuinely care and look out for his brother.

As far as I recall, Chuck did have a hand in Kim being put in the doghouse. While I echo the whole "gently caress Chuck" sentiment. The truth is that his feelings toward his brother are understandable. He has this point of view towards Jimmy that he developed when they were kids and to be fair, Jimmy never did anything to disprove that he was a con artist and a smooth talking petty crook in his brother's eyes. He sees it as Jimmy getting everything easy and doing no work while others clean up the mess left behind. And I think he envies it. It's a pretty realistic dynamic for brothers. Sometimes the smallest memories really stick with you. The important thing about that particular flashback if I recall was that Chuck blamed Jimmy for the dad's business going under, but it was proved that the father was an easy mark for con men. It's easier to blame your brother for something like that than facing your father was a weak man. Jimmy lacked the self awareness to see that what he was doing was really "wrong" (if he even stole from his Dad, it was actually pretty vague if I recall) and it's what is both frustrating and likable about Jimmy. He is not a bad guy, he wants to do right and can be a very moral person sometimes. But on the other hand he is willing to "cut corners" to get what he wants. He rationalizes it all away and plans to be a better person tomorrow. If Jimmy from season two Better Call Saul met season 4 Saul from Breaking Bad he would probably be shocked by him. And after a half an hour, Saul would have talked Jimmy over to his side.

What I really enjoy about Better Call Saul and it's something it can develop more subtly than Breaking Bad, is the dichotomy of people's behaviour. Mike for example, does heinous poo poo, but does it is for his Grand-daughter and will never cross certain lines. Yet, we see that Mike's uncompromising work ethic and moral centre is what gets him in trouble in the first place. It will be interesting to see him strip away those layers of morality and cross those lines. In a lot of ways he is more like Jessie than Walt. Mike can't rationalize morality the way Walt can/could. he is just jaded enough to know he can't change it.

Really can't wait, It really takes it's time and lets you get to know these people.

Edit: and yep, the Black and White Cinnabon bits are post BB.

To quote the line from season 5 when he was going into Robert Forster's criminal witness protection: "If I'm lucky in a month from now, best-case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha"

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 3, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
*Ahem* We already have a thread about this show and the only character that matters.

I'm finishing up an S2 rewatch. It is good.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved season one, season two was good however I felt like they were digging their heels in the mud on moving forward on plot progression.

Basically if Gus doesn't show up within the first four episodes, this is going to be very frustrating imo.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This show creates more tension with a 24 hour copying store than The Walking Dead does with the zombie apocalypse.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Watching Chuck's paranoia grow in "real time" during a binge watch vs week-to-week was insane.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My body is ready

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm ready for some McGill vs. McGill: Desert Justice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, great timing. Yesterday I was reminded this show existed, I looked up when the next season was going to start, and it's in a few days! Rad.

Behold, my awesome power.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I re-watched Gremlins for the first time in several years and went "Oh hey, that's Jonathan Banks as one of the cops!"

Should be canon.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
loving Chucklefuck. What a bastard.

Good to have the show back next week.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickarts posted:

This show creates more tension with a 24 hour copying store than The Walking Dead does with the zombie apocalypse.

It's true, a tiger, filthy trash people, dozens of guns and a dreadlock king all add up to 1/100th of the tension caused by an rear end in a top hat hitting his head.

Sony fucks up their movies but thank God they kept AMC tempered on these shows.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I kinda hope we learn more about Chuck's ex-wife and how he probably blame Jimmy in some way about her leaving him, but overall gently caress Chuck.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm looking forward to watching Jimmy dealing with the tape recording that Chuck made. I'm also looking forward to Chuck's reaction at being foiled yet again by Jimmy's quick wit and bullshit powers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I'm looking forward to watching Jimmy dealing with the tape recording that Chuck made. I'm also looking forward to Chuck's reaction at being foiled yet again by Jimmy's quick wit and bullshit powers.

I kind of wonder if Chuck is actually going to be ultimately successful in destroying Jimmy's career, or if it'll be someone else. I know that really we don't see much of Saul's private life in Breaking Bad, but I think it'd be hard to reconcile Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer with the people that surround Jimmy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to the new season for sure, but put me in the "I hope the pace picks up a bit" camp. I really hope Gus makes his first appearance by the first half of the season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really amazed me how good this show is. I didn't think they could pull off another hit, but this is really close to as good as BB in a lot of ways. Really looking forward to the return of Gus as well.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Los Pollos Hermanos Employee orientation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPG8cnwujA

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

notthegoatseguy posted:

I kind of wonder if Chuck is actually going to be ultimately successful in destroying Jimmy's career, or if it'll be someone else. I know that really we don't see much of Saul's private life in Breaking Bad, but I think it'd be hard to reconcile Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer with the people that surround Jimmy.

His career is going gangbusters and will continue to be awesome. Chuck's tape is going to get laughed out of court.

However, it will torpedo his relationship with Kim. Jimmy going from a colorful lawyer to a criminal lawyer will bring him huge amounts of success. It will also bring Kim a lot of success, but Kim will ultimately reject it since she wants to succeed on her own terms. Jimmy succeeding and Kim failing will end their relationship.

Kim will ask to never be associated with him, so the "McGill -- Wexler" will get canned and since he's successful with increasing recognition in the criminal underground so he'll just own the "Saul Goodman". Possibly also relating to some level of reconciliation with his brother.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stickarts posted:

The blocking and use of color in this show is flat out unreal at times. The bit where Mike's creeping around his home with his gun drawn is one of the tensest few minutes ever recorded by a camera.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

That was a great scene. I really like his use of carbon copy paper. When he unpacked the welcome mat and stacks of paper I didn't pick up on what he was doing.

Can't wait for the new season.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shbobdb posted:

His career is going gangbusters and will continue to be awesome. Chuck's tape is going to get laughed out of court.

However, it will torpedo his relationship with Kim. Jimmy going from a colorful lawyer to a criminal lawyer will bring him huge amounts of success. It will also bring Kim a lot of success, but Kim will ultimately reject it since she wants to succeed on her own terms. Jimmy succeeding and Kim failing will end their relationship.

Kim will ask to never be associated with him, so the "McGill -- Wexler" will get canned and since he's successful with increasing recognition in the criminal underground so he'll just own the "Saul Goodman". Possibly also relating to some level of reconciliation with his brother.

I'm torn between thinking it'll be a slow progression of inevitable changes like this that turns Jimmy into Saul, and thinking it'll be some huge cataclysmic event.

The former is more realistic and likely. The latter is what a TV audience will expect.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They can't really drag it that much though, unless they plan to have BCS run longer than breaking bad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Los Pollos Hermanos Employee orientation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQPG8cnwujA

The DEA after everything went down posted:

Guys...how did we not realize he was a drug dealer?

Data Graham posted:

I'm torn between thinking it'll be a slow progression of inevitable changes like this that turns Jimmy into Saul, and thinking it'll be some huge cataclysmic event.

The former is more realistic and likely. The latter is what a TV audience will expect.

I imagine that, to a certain extent, its going to be structured similarly to "Ozymandias" where all the events and choices and mistakes come to a head at once and it all comes crashing down. I think there's a good chance of it happening this season, actually. Chuck tries to accuse Jimmy of fraud, it has enough legs that it drives Kim away, and without those two legs of his life (and presumably a developing relationship with Gus and Mike) there's really no reason for Jimmy McGill to continue.

Its what makes BCS almost more depressing than BB to me. In BB, there was a sense until Ozymandias that maybe things would turn out okay or the rest of the family might escape unscathed. But in BCS, we know this is all going to end poorly and it makes it hard to enjoy what happiness Jimmy and Mike can find. :smith:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

1stGear posted:

I imagine that, to a certain extent, its going to be structured similarly to "Ozymandias" where all the events and choices and mistakes come to a head at once and it all comes crashing down. I think there's a good chance of it happening this season, actually. Chuck tries to accuse Jimmy of fraud, it has enough legs that it drives Kim away, and without those two legs of his life (and presumably a developing relationship with Gus and Mike) there's really no reason for Jimmy McGill to continue.

Its what makes BCS almost more depressing than BB to me. In BB, there was a sense until Ozymandias that maybe things would turn out okay or the rest of the family might escape unscathed. But in BCS, we know this is all going to end poorly and it makes it hard to enjoy what happiness Jimmy and Mike can find. :smith:

Everything in life is going to eventually end poorly. Mike could have just as easily had a heart attack instead of getting shot. You can't just put everything on how it ends. But before that, it looks like BCS should be moving to a happy place. A time period that Saul is wistful over and is crying in the future because he misses it so much. This was an enjoyable part of Saul's life that he thinks fondly of. He was having fun before Walter showed up. The last season before it catches up to BB should not be depressing, I don't think.

And he have no idea what's going to happen to Gene.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I imagine it's going to end much as Breaking Bad did: with Slippin' Jimmy admitting that he does what he does because he's good at it. He was a man born to hustle, and when all legitimate avenues get shut in his face, either due to his own incompetence or the mistrust others have in him, he'll naturally end up gravitating towards the one remaining area (criminal lawyering) where he can spin his talents into success.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I totally forgot about this, so happy that it's back. Also gently caress Chuck etc... Too bad I won't have time to rewatch the first two seasons before it starts. :(

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vermain posted:

I imagine it's going to end much as Breaking Bad did: with Slippin' Jimmy admitting that he does what he does because he's good at it. He was a man born to hustle, and when all legitimate avenues get shut in his face, either due to his own incompetence or the mistrust others have in him, he'll naturally end up gravitating towards the one remaining area (criminal lawyering) where he can spin his talents into success.

It'll be interesting to see how he eventually burns the bridges of his former colleagues but also doesn't get disbarred, which is Chuck's ultimate goal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chuck's gonna die before this is all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Shbobdb posted:

*Ahem* We already have a thread about this show and the only character that matters.

I'm finishing up an S2 rewatch. It is good.

Sorry you put all that effort into such a forgettable thread.

• Locked thread