Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My dad loved Spartacus and Strike Back, as well as Person of Interest, Lost, Lethal Weapon, but not many of the HBO/FX/AMC "prestige" shows -- except Deadwood. He also likes a lot of schlocky procedurals like The Blacklist, and some of the superhero shows.

Would he like Banshee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My dad loved Spartacus and Strike Back, as well as Person of Interest, Lost, Lethal Weapon, but not many of the HBO/FX/AMC "prestige" shows -- except Deadwood. He also likes a lot of schlocky procedurals like The Blacklist, and some of the superhero shows.

Would he like Banshee?

Banshee was absolutely made for guys like him. The first season is basically the television equivalent of Road House; the next two seasons dig deeper emotionally, in ways you don't expect, while still maintaining its pulpy gait. Wasn't too fond of the final season, but I thought the last episode finished strong. He should abso-fuckin'-loutely watch Banshee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are three fights over the course of Banshee's run that are brutal in a way unlike anything I've ever seen on television before.

Hood vs Sanchez

"Hood" vs the Albino

Nola vs Burton

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Albino fight made my nuts shrink permanently

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still hold the Sanchez fight up as the peak brawl. It makes the They Live alley throwdown look like a slapfight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dammit TV IV, why has The Last Kingdom already been back for three weeks and the Black Sails thread is somehow the first place I hear about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I still hold the Sanchez fight up as the peak brawl. It makes the They Live alley throwdown look like a slapfight.

The fingers bit was uncomfortable to watch. In a good way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The fingers bit was uncomfortable to watch. In a good way.

The arm snap is where I get queasy. It's unreal how good that fight was.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

There are three fights over the course of Banshee's run that are brutal in a way unlike anything I've ever seen on television before.

Hood vs Sanchez

"Hood" vs the Albino

Nola vs Burton

I would add the fight between Carrie and that henchman in the first season. As I recall that fight scene was basically the B-plot of the episode, it just kept going and going and getting more brutal.

The Sanchez fight is definitely the peak for me, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

There is no more perfect television show than Party Down. Pretty much every episode functions, at worst, at an A- level, and at best it's pure perfection. That loving cast is solid gold and pretty much all of them got deservedly way more famous because of it (except poor Ryan Hansen who is still floating around as a b-list Dax Shepard, which is such a sad statement)

go watch Party Down now fuckheads. Are We Having Fun Yet?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

The Albino fight made my nuts shrink permanently

Pretty much everything involving the albino prison sex vampire is amazing, that was the exact moment I knew exactly what kind of show I was watching and that I was in for the ride.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DC Murderverse posted:

poor Ryan Hansen

http://www.celebritypetal.com/ryan-hansen-net-worth/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In the sense that he's not getting any good work, not that he's actually poor.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You don't say.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great username/post combo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I love that this website assumes that someone's "net worth" is just how much they got paid for each movie/show that they can find the salary for.

Like, your point is still totally true, he's an actor who probably gets residuals and still gets roles in things, but this is the dumbest website because the logic is completely flawed.

edit: and I am a million percent sure that he didn't get paid 30% of the budget of Jem and the Holograms for playing "Stephen the Guard"

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What are some terrible 2nd seasons after a hugely successful 1st season? True Detective, Glee, Heroes, and Serial immediately come to mind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sleepy Hollow

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I would say Fargo, but I'm pretty sure I'm alone in that belief.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

I would say Fargo, but I'm pretty sure I'm alone in that belief.

How can you not think UFO out of nowhere was inspired?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are some very odd decisions in the finale that left a strange taste in mouth, but I thought Fargo 2 was otherwise decent at worst.

I think the classic case of the sophmore slump, though, is Homeland, though it bounced back eventually.

Edit: I am a dumbshit.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo s2 is one of the best TV seasons of this decade :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Fargo s2 is one of the best TV seasons of this decade :confused:

Yeah no argument, I'm just saying I get why some were weirded out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People seemed down in general on the finales for both Fargo seasons, and while they are not the highs of each respective seasons I loved both seasons overall (especially S2) dearly. Fargo S2 is probably the closest I've felt to how drawn into a TV show I was during Breaking Bad's final few episodes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Korra Season 2 as well, though that bounced back even faster. The second season finale is top stuff. Somehow.

This is against the thread rules my dude. As would be me responding to it, even though I REALLY want to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Also, you're all wrong because in reality Preacher was the best of last year for literally going out on a hot fart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's difficult to compare the sudden drop in quality over the course of a show telling a continuous story, to a show that changes in focus between seasons like Fargo does. I mean, sometimes the comparative quality is obvious (everyone can think of their own examples, mine would be American Horror Story 2 to 3) where it appears clean cut, but I think that often a change in focus and content can lead to a perceived changed in quality. It might not that the different seasons of the show have a lesser quality of craft, it's that they're no longer playing to any one viewer's personal fascinations.

So, for instance, some people think that the second season of Fargo was worse because it lacked Malvo. (Though personally speaking I wasn't fussed too much either way.)

IRQ posted:

This is against the thread rules my dude. As would be me responding to it, even though I REALLY want to.

Bugger. Fair cop, though. Suitably edited, but I'll take whatever comes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Josh Lyman posted:

What are some terrible 2nd seasons after a hugely successful 1st season? True Detective, Glee, Heroes, and Serial immediately come to mind.

The Flash is the only one I can think of at the moment for some reason.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I would say Season 2 of Dexter but it wasn't terrible, just wasn't quite as good.

Homeland had a really strong start for season 2 that just got silly in the back half.

Really, you could list most shows on Showtime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I would say Season 2 of Dexter but it wasn't terrible, just wasn't quite as good.

Homeland had a really strong start for season 2 that just got silly in the back half.

Really, you could list most shows on Showtime.

Season 2 of Dexter was absolutely better than s1. Doakes was a fantastic antagonist. Show peaked there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While there are certainly some elements that are enjoyable I felt the drop from Twin Peaks S1 to S2 was quite precipitous. Yeah I know the background as to why that's all the case but it still bums me out.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I really liked Season 2 of Dexter as well and think it get's unjustly overshadowed by the likes of Season 4, which is almost certainly the show's best season thanks primarily to John Lithgow. But Season 2's cat and mouse game between Dexter and Doakes had me on the edge of my seat for the entire season. It was very reminiscent of No Way Out and Out of Time.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't notice any drop in quality in True Detective.

Because both seasons sucked.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone currently watching The Detour? Worth getting into?

Big fan, and way underrated. Still haven't seen the second season though, but the first one really ties together by the end.

edit:

Longbaugh01 posted:

I binged all of Banshee a couple months ago, and boy, I never expected to end up loving all of it as much as I did. The action choreography alone is enough, but it ended up having actual emotional resonance, great characterization and characters, and good humor. And the amount/length of sex scenes is nowhere near as bad as like Spartacus, which I just binged all of as well.

Edit: And the ending and how everything shakes out was pretty much perfect. Sometimes that's rare these days.

The sex scenes in Spartacus actually had a lot of resonance, since it was about a bunch of slaves made to have sex or fight by monsters. It even factored into a couple of the more important plots.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 3, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Season 2 of Dexter was absolutely better than s1. Doakes was a fantastic antagonist. Show peaked there.

Yeah but it also had loving Lila.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On balance I liked true detective season 2 more than 1.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't troll people, precision.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure I said so at the time too.

Holy poo poo the last episode of 13 Reasons is hard to watch.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DC Murderverse posted:

(except poor Ryan Hansen who is still floating around as a b-list Dax Shepard, which is such a sad statement)

Yeah I love the dude, and with one good role his career would be a whole other thing. At least casting people like him since he guest stars in tons of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Nate RFB posted:

People seemed down in general on the finales for both Fargo seasons, and while they are not the highs of each respective seasons I loved both seasons overall (especially S2) dearly. Fargo S2 is probably the closest I've felt to how drawn into a TV show I was during Breaking Bad's final few episodes.

people disliked those episodes because they built up an idea of how the finale had to be, and got mad that it didn't fit their head-canon. like most situations where this is the case, I loved the episode. I think people (especially here) have a really rigid mentality about season & series finales. like, aside from maybe what ultimately happens with Hanzee, I can't understand what problems anyone would have with the end of Fargo season 2.

• Locked thread