Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
wtf is with thread? my eyes are literally bleeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Could someone explain how being green is an April fools joke, I just though "FAU is failing to kill the thread again" when I saw it.
Same, I just laughed because I though this was a limp dicked sequel to all those "we must close the thread, they doxx babies" concern posts.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

wtf is with thread? my eyes are literally bleeding

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Thoatse posted:

Santaball was included in 2.6.2

Favorite hobby of mine is playing "What in hell did people google to find this image?"

Here I like to think
- How to have fun in your Rex outfit
- best way to play football on a horse
- dinosaur hobbies
Or alternatively,
- most fun on a horse not involving penetration

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7601775/#Comment_7601775.

I am lost for words.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its like the roland emmerich godzilla movie says. size does matter

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Do you want NMS? Because this is how you get NMS.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think even as a kid the only time I wanted something resembling these people's All Game was the first time I played Civilization, I wished I could directly control the battles like Shogun allowed years later.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just some reasonable expectations

e: Also confirmed that SC will be released in a couple of years or so.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

trucutru posted:

the games of today are constantly grinding the dreams of tomorrow into the mud

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How can you log into the PU and then write that afterwards.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/635qag/these_coming_weeks_will_be_one_of_cigs_most/

:negative:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Station remains intact, as it usually does

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2u7_4oPk6Q

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you for playing Star Citizen!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

lmao is this guy seriously asking what other games let you see, let alone shoot, through loving windows?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Who even thinks the Sun system is 51 AU? And what are they actually measuring when they say that?

Depending on what you include in the “system,” it's anywhere from as little as 200 AU across to 400,000 AU across. Have the citizens become so accustomed to just pulling random number out of their arses that they can't even google basic facts now?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Its like they haven't played a game before.

Also the whole 100 sextillion sq kms is a dumb evaluation in the first place when literally 99.99999999999999999999999999% of it empty space no player will ever be in. And if they are really using that as a measure of success ED/NMS/Minecraft is several orders of magnitude larger.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Who even thinks the Sun system is 51 AU? And what are they actually measuring when they say that?

Depending on what you include in the “system,” it's anywhere from as little as 200 AU across to 400,000 AU across. Have the citizens become so accustomed to just pulling random number out of their arses that they can't even google basic facts now?

Isn't 1 AU literally the distance between us and the sun?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its like they haven't played a game before.

Also the whole 100 sextillion sq kms is a dumb evaluation in the first place when literally 99.99999999999999999999999999% of it empty space no player will ever be in. And if they are really using that as a measure of success ED/NMS/Minecraft is several orders of magnitude larger.

Remember it wasn't square kilometres — it was just kilometres. They were measuring the size of their galaxy as a linear distance. From where to where, no-one knows. Coincidentally, I have a lot more than 100 sextillion kms to explore in my bathroom alone if I just look closely enough. If I were to slice up the floor, ceiling, and walls into 10 Planck-length wide strips, I'd have, oh, about 250 nonillion km worth of strips (± an order of magnitude or two). So my bathroom is about a billion times larger than the SC universe, according to CIG's official PR blurb.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Isn't 1 AU literally the distance between us and the sun?

Yes. For the Elite:ists, it's perhaps more familiar in the form of ~500 Ls.
My best guess is that he's taken some average radius to Pluto or the Kuiper belt or something, forgetting that while those are pretty far out there, they also extend a lot farther than that average and that, either way, the solar system extends quite a bit beyond that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tippis posted:

You have to think like an idiot and just google "Pluto distance from sun"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

"When was the last time you saw a game company work simultaneously on a AAA full story line mission focused game significantly larger than the average AND an MMO of this scale?"

Kingdoms of Amalur
:ironicat:

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

That reminds me, Celestia basically has every feature Star Citizens have asked for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/635qag/these_coming_weeks_will_be_one_of_cigs_most/

No :ironicat: big enough

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kilus aof posted:

That reminds me, Celestia basically has every feature Star Citizens have asked for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0Bpmx8Fk0

Edit: http://spaceengine.org/

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Has SC done anything (playable, not fake-demo, not animated ship marketing video) that has not been done and included in an actual playable game in a better and more efficient way?

Does their alpha that goes on for years have anything noteworthy that Citizens would want to be kept in the final game? Afaik, they pretty much dream better / unimplemented features and radical improvements to all of the modules. There is nothing concrete to actually be excited about, other than the promises....

I don't like the Smart-talk but they really have nothing and are selling the world(s).

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Well things are progressing well on the AI front

Tony Z (luv me sum TZ :D) said in February they had just gotten 'over the hill' on the tool creation so they can start making their first iteration prototype of AI.

And Erin said 'up to a few hundred thousand maybe' in a single instance. Their 4 networking engineers are geniuses. Revolutionary stuff no one else is working on.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Tony Z (luv me sum TZ :D) said in February they had just gotten 'over the hill' on the tool creation so they can start making their first iteration prototype of AI.

In released game news: https://techraptor.net/content/report-bioware-outsourced-mass-effect-andromeda-facial-animations

Outsourcing strikes again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

Has SC done anything (playable, not fake-demo, not animated ship marketing video) that has not been done and included in an actual playable game in a better and more efficient way?

Does their alpha that goes on for years have anything noteworthy that Citizens would want to be kept in the final game? Afaik, they pretty much dream better / unimplemented features and radical improvements to all of the modules. There is nothing concrete to actually be excited about, other than the promises....

I don't like the Smart-talk but they really have nothing and are selling the world(s).

In the actual code that's being run on computers? No.
In the method and efficiency in fleecing customers? Yes.

e: In fact, you don't even need to add that “playable, non-fake, etc” caves to arrive at the answer “no.” Everything SC promises to do has been done before. The only thing that the citizens can really cling to is the qualifier “…on this scale,” but even setting aside that the promised scale isn't in yet — and won't be for another two major version numbers of the alpha if Chris is to be believ…fffffppprrrhaHAHAHAHAH… anyway — the purported scale of SC isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The SC universe is tiny. The whole point of the “megamap” tech is that the active space around a player is pretty tiny too. We've seen how tiny the rendering space is with the bugs that cull objects so aggressively that it breaks background animations and object interactions. Once you start sectioning and instancing space like that, you end up with the same thing every other game has, and scale no longer becomes anything that matters. It's just more stuff to produce, and display when the player is close enough. It's busy-work for artists, not a technical challenge.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 3, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur
:ironicat:

STOP TAUNTING ME! :negative:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Rectangular lights.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ghostlight posted:

lmao is this guy seriously asking what other games let you see, let alone shoot, through loving windows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i93e_DcCQc&feature=youtu.be&t=3m44s

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

AbstractNapper posted:

Doors that are open and closed at the same time, but only if you look at them in a funny way.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
All these physics glitches remind me of when I was messing around with Garry's mod some years ago, without any idea on how to attach things.

But I'm pretty interested, is there any speculation on what they messed up? Because they have bugs on every level, and that's not normal.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Tokamak posted:

The Benefits of Castration self.starcitizen
Submitted 3 hours ago by jadesuccubusDoctor

Hello, my fellow citizens! I'd like to go over some medical notes in regard to bounty hunting and helping those that do similar jobs obtain some extra safety and budget flexibility.

In the live game, if you do higher risk work there's going to be a major factors on if you make money: Ship capacity.

What I refer to is if you have a ship with four prisoner pods, you're capped at a maximum of four prisoners via the pods at once. The storage capacity will influence which contracts and missions will generate profit or loss due to this cap: EG five capture contracts in one area may require a return trip and additional fuel/time cost or lower the profit beyond what it could be due to increased expenses. I've previously made a thesis on helping bounty hunters here, however new information has been laid out since then.

In particular, one bit may aid lower budget bounty hunters, mercs and organizations that don't yet have a lot of resources to increase their safety nets and cost-effectiveness: the combination of the limb damage system and the ability to place people in crates.

If you are a poorer player starting with only a humble aurora to your name, you may not be able to have multiple prisoner pods - but you could instead have a single storage crate for that you can stuff a human in after removing their arms and legs. You may even be able to create makeshift crates such as using a mustang's bathroom or simply keeping the body on the floor, if the arms and legs have been removed and they cannot move or attempt malcompliance.

Remember: a requirement to deliver someone alive does not necessarily mean in one piece - if they need to confess, they need to speak. They don't need to walk, see, hold things, or have testicles producing testosterone that increases aggression, upper body strength, and risks of malcompliance - so if you have a simple medkit, these non-essential items can be removed by crippling the arms, legs, and torso into a ruined state then halting the bleeding.

This may allow a humble aurora/mustang pilot, or other organizations that need to reduce costs and increase profit margin so they can upgrade their equipment faster, to have more saving power and more flexibility for taking on jobs as well as bigger cash reserves for safety nets. Suppose you are a small family organization and the only member on is a low-budget kiddo with an aurora that plays with his father. You can have more credits on hand to help him out if he's mauled by pirates if your profit margins are higher. At the risk of making a cliche, think of the children!

If it is not possible for a target with ruined arms to open doors, you may be able to safely store prisoners in a bathroom, closet, box, on the counter in a mustang, under the bed, or in any other random location, which will allow much more flexibility in which ships can take on which jobs and much less restriction on storage space for prisoners. That means higher profit margins!

Hopefully, the reduced weight of the lost limbs will allow some space efficiency like placing multiple prisoners in a box. This brings up another point though - the importance of castration.

It's listed that the torso on the medical diagrams will each have consequences for being ruined - in the case of the torso, it encompasses the groin, heart, lungs, and though they are non-essential many males seem to consider them so, testicles. Presumably there will be related penalties to a ruined torso. In the case of a male NPC, the removal of the testicles can mirror soviet medical experiment results IRL - that the lack of testosterone production will reduce rebelliousness and malcompliance risks. This has several effects on a real human:

A) The subject will not have as much upper body strength and will not be as likely to instigate a prison riot or be as difficult to restrain.

B) The subject will suffer negative psychological effects due to the loss of testosterone production and may be more compliant with interrogation, forced labor, protracted detainment, etc.

C) The subject will in addition to being unable to assault the bounty hunter or otherwise disrupt the operation due to limb removal, potentially slip into depression and can be controlled via medications that will make them more dependent on the prison, or if they need testosterone for forced labor, it can be provided by supplement rather than produced naturally, for the same reason of increasing compliance due to dependency on provision of the supplement. To be fair, I got that idea from half life 2's stalkers that have their organs removed to hook them on a nutrition provided by the combine and cause them to starve in the event of malcompliance and hands removed for tool grafts - which I think is an excellent idea if prisoner management becomes a thing in-universe.

The effects of the above could be placed in for NPC's to increase the ease of an interrogation, reduce costs, increase compliance or confession chances, or any other possible benefit of the above, should castration be included in torso ruining in addition to the heart, lungs, and others. Most males I know seem to consider the testicles a critical item so I think it's fair the removal of them have consequences, at least in the case of male human NPC's. Possibly also an option for capturing and interrogating Vanduul if their physiology has similar consequences for their removal, so this may be very helpful for management of Vanduul prisoners as well.

Anyway, TL;DR: due to the ability to "hide" a person in a crate, it may be possible to forcefully place a prisoner in a crate or mundane location such as a bathroom via crippling the arms, legs, and torso/groin. This could allow lower budget organizations, casual players, poorer players, smaller orgs, etc. to have more flexibility in which members and which ships can take which roles, and help overcome lower profit margin penalties that would otherwise occur. This could be especially helpful for small family orgs that have say a parent and a child that are playing together and may not have a lot of free time and need some higher profit margins. It could be helpful to them if a humble aurora can be used to cart around prisoners instead of needing to obtain a ship with a full prison pod loadout first. Similarly, this could increase flexibility of other ships such as a freelancer or cutlass red to take on a non-traditional role and store captives in this manner.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this was helpful to you; especially for those just starting out, and those that must start from little at live! May fortune favor you.

<3Mwah

~Doctor Jade

Star Citizen: these non-essential items can be removed

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I raise you one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZJ6LXczIQ — no windows, but a hell of a lot more sandbox gameplay than SC has on offer.
Also better sound design.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, I'm looking forward to playing with my family org and having five year old Timmy haul around crates of dismembered bodies.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Huh. I thought they fixed the bug that caused Parts of the station to drift/detach. You'd think with how little is in the patch notes, what is would be buttoned up. (of course it's not, and no one should be surprised)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Drunk Theory posted:

Huh. I thought they fixed the bug that caused Parts of the station to drift/detach. You'd think with how little is in the patch notes, what is would be buttoned up. (of course it's not, and no one should be surprised)

It's massively complicated.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, of course citizens don't understand this, but it's not like the testosterone just leaks out of someone all at once like air out of a balloon and they go from The Rock to Homer Simpson in a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Every time there's a serious content/news drought from CIG the citizens get spun up to the point of going past absurd into downright worrisome. Like... ordinarily I can scroll through /r/starcitizen and go "haha these people are mentally unwell in a very funny way" but holy poo poo there's something about reading page upon page of speculation about how the new delta patcher (estimated release date: never) will save Star Citizen that just boils my goddamn brain.