Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I just watched season 2 of Fargo, what where the criticisms over the finale? I thought it fit the tone of the season wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

What are some terrible 2nd seasons after a hugely successful 1st season? True Detective, Glee, Heroes, and Serial immediately come to mind.

Human Target gets singled out for this here.

I'd say Mr Robot had a terrible second season, at least the 5 or 6 episodes I watched.

Friday Night Lights, but it got better again in season 3.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

The sex scenes in Spartacus actually had a lot of resonance, since it was about a bunch of slaves made to have sex or fight by monsters. It even factored into a couple of the more important plots.

Hey I just mentioned amount and length of sex scenes, not whether or not they serviced (heh) the story, because that's what the person was worried about re:Banshee.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mr Robot had a great second season. People just expected a plot driven show and not a character driven one. Which kind if says more about what they liked in the first season, rather than the quality of the show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The characterization in Mr. Robot S2 was all over the place though, and some (Angela) were actively detrimental in my opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
She was the main character in season 2 and her arc was great. When I think of that season, most of the Elliot bullshit doesn't even come to mind. S2 is mainly about Angela, Dom, and Darlene.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Snak posted:

Mr Robot had a great second season. People just expected a plot driven show and not a character driven one. Which kind if says more about what they liked in the first season, rather than the quality of the show.

I mean, when you fundamentally misunderstand a show you like, the odds are good you'll eventually be disappointed as it goes along.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You see the same thing with The Americans, where people complain that it turned into "boring relationship stuff" after the first season. Lol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Angela in the room with the kid and the computer might be the most I've hated television in years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I just watched season 2 of Fargo, what where the criticisms over the finale? I thought it fit the tone of the season wonderfully.

The only one I know for sure is that people thought the Hanzee thing was too much of a reach just to link the seasons up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

You say this but S2 felt like it spent a lot more time on the dull nebulous international conspiracy plot than S1 did which is a lot of why I didn't like it as much. I would have killed for more character time and less inscrutable Chinese hacker assassins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Still binging X-Files. I find it hilarious how violently Texan Scully's brother sounds compared to her.

The Post-Modern Prometheus is a great episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Scully's dad is Hammond of Texas, after all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

Scully's dad is Hammond of Texas, after all.

So Scullys brother is the dick from Twin Peaks?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Speaking of 13 Reasons Why and Mr. Robot...I used to know Dylan Minnette's Dad around 13 years ago when he played guitar in a local cover band. At the time he was always talking about how his young son was living with his Mom in Chicago and trying to make it in acting, but he didn't get to see him much. Met Dylan himself briefly once.

Also, I went to college with Rami Malek (where our interaction is a story in itself).

But the weird thing to me is that I somehow personally knew two people who are currently on television shows and in leading roles and both of these encounters happened in bumfuck Indiana.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The Hanzee thing is just fuckin stupid, and I dislike the wrap-up to the weird symbols thing, which is just an excuse for Ted Danson to really overtly lay out many of the themes of the season. Other than that my main issue is that I feel it was anti-climactic to a fault - I get what they were going for, especially with Ed and Peggy, but to me it felt like they built up SO MUCH tension with episode 9 and then undercut it in a negative way. Hawley clearly intends for the motel stuff to be the climax of the season, but I dunno, it just doesn't really feel that way to me.

If not for that finale, I'd consider it one of the greatest TV seasons of all time, instead of just of the decade. Ah well.

New topic, what did people think of Big Little Lies overall? Decided to give it a shot and I wanna hear some goonpinions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I enjoyed season 2 of Mr Robot a lot, but I think where it goes in season 3 will give a better idea of how much of season 2 was strictly necessary.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

So Scullys brother is the dick from Twin Peaks?

You mean Poacher_03 from MacGyver?

The good one not the new one.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also, I went to college with Rami Malek (where our interaction is a story in itself).

Tell us the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amazon pilot season: Oasis is absolutely amazing. Got a feeling it's gonna get picked up, waiting is gonna suck.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Season 2 of Mr Robot was good but it could have told the exact same story in 8 episodes instead of 12.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

less laughter posted:

Tell us the story.

Ok. We "met" during an intramural soccer match while on opposing sides. We kinda got into it and hated each other's guts the rest of the time I was there and it was a very small campus.

So basically, I've always had a hard time watching anything he's in without being a little jealous and also wanting to reach through the screen and punch his drat assholish face. So, I put off watching Mr.Robot even though I'd heard about how great it was since it started...

...but I got over it and started watching and am genuinely glad I did. I'll be honest and say he does a great job, and I stopped noticing it was Rami instead of Elliot. Though, once in awhile he'll emote a look that I don't remember fondly.

His character in The Pacific was an immense jackass and he's really good at it.

Our interaction after that initial episode was to walk on the opposite sides of whatever pedestrian plaza/street/hallway we found ourselves on/in and flip each other the bird as we passed.

Our school was pretty cliquey (as most things in life) and he was a Drama Kid of course. The circles I found myself in rarely interacted with them. There was this longstanding animosity between the groups which I had no personal stake in, but I'm pretty sure was what fueled the initial incident on his part.

I do remember once going to a party at an off-campus Drama Kid house with some friends who intermixed, and got invited to smoke in this big circle. I was like "sure", and then didn't notice Rami in the circle until it was too late. Unfortunately (but kinda fittingly), he was an even bigger a-hole when high.

I also just remembered that I did get a sort of revenge once against him and the Drama student team in intramural floor hockey. Now I'm not a jock or anything, and intramurals are just for "fun", but he was on my rear end all loving game and I managed to get a hat trick--including the game winner--with him dogging my rear end and playing dirty the entire time. Of course, I became a bigger rear end in a top hat than him in that moment as I celebrated way too loudly and rubbed it in his face. He was obviously pissed as gently caress, but I shoulda been more gracious in victory.

Such is life.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

So Homeland is so bad now that it doesn't have its own thread?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

But the weird thing to me is that I somehow personally knew two people who are currently on television shows and in leading roles and both of these encounters happened in bumfuck Indiana.

One of my old coworkers used to bang Jenna Fischer. Indiana has plenty of famous people.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Snak posted:

You see the same thing with The Americans, where people complain that it turned into "boring relationship stuff" after the first season. Lol.

The correct way to watch The Americans is as a study in wigs. The rest of it just gets in the way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you have a cell plan on Verizon, soon you'll be able to stream some TV shows for free:

http://www.avclub.com/article/you-can-now-stream-veronica-mars-fringe-babylon-5--253155

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

If you have a cell plan on Verizon, soon you'll be able to stream some TV shows for free:

http://www.avclub.com/article/you-can-now-stream-veronica-mars-fringe-babylon-5--253155

Wow, TSCC was 8 years ago?

And yeah I am still mad about that, but I have Sprint.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

One of my old coworkers used to bang Jenna Fischer. Indiana has plenty of famous people.

Yeah but you're in Fort Wayne which is way closer to Indy and Chicago and less bumfuck. :v:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Big Little Lies ended last night and it was perfect, so you should all watch it.

There were just so many moments in it that blew me away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've yet to see anyone describe what's actually good about it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm watching 13 Reasons Why... Are high school kids fully tattooed up with full tribal tattoos in real life these days too? I guess I'm just an old man who doesn't understand kids these days.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm torn on giving Big Little Lies a look. It was on my radar because of the cast but the couple of people I discussed it with warned me away, called it a soap opera, and said I'd hate it. I've heard others call it good but they haven't exactly said anything beyond that so I'm left sticking with the recommendation of my friends who know my tastes and expanded a little.

I am however about four episodes into Iron Fist and I'm enjoying it despite all the hate. Its not GREAT but its doing what I like from the Defenders heroes. The biggest problem I have is that there's not really a compelling villain thus far, which has kind of been what the Defenders shows have really balanced on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

I'm watching 13 Reasons Why... Are high school kids fully tattooed up with full tribal tattoos in real life these days too? I guess I'm just an old man who doesn't understand kids these days.

I am sure there is always that one kid in every school who has tattoos and is rocker/emo type.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

I've yet to see anyone describe what's actually good about it

I mean, it's got Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, and Laura Dern in it, so there's a guarantee that the acting is at least good (unless you have the bad taste to suggest any of those three are bad actresses).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I'm watching 13 Reasons Why... Are high school kids fully tattooed up with full tribal tattoos in real life these days too?

Some of them, but the show overdoes it a bit. There's one character who legitimately looks like she couldn't possibly be under 30 and has at least 10 visible tattoos.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah the acting in Big Little Lies was really strong. I also feel like it was just pretty well written and while it is about some rich suburban mom's being bitchy to each other a lot of the time, you never really feel like it's contrived. There are serious events happening in each of their lives and they mostly have believable (if sometimes dramatic) reactions to them.

I didn't actually intend to start watching, but it was on around the same time as other shows I like and ended up watching and enjoying most of the season.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's a show that starts feeling like a soap opera of bitchy mothers (which is something I love, but obviously that's a matter of taste) but as it goes on becomes an examination of lies, shame, judgment and atonement. The last episode is all about looking at other people, being afraid that they're watching you, and judging you, and the way the direction conveys that is really incredible. Plus, as I said, there's some really powerful moments (including one that i think of as The Moment) but I won't go into them because they'd spoil the experience somewhat.

And the ending is just beautiful.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

All this time I've been confusing Big Little Lies with Pretty Little Liars and was surprised so many people liked what seemed to me Gossip Girl version 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

Plus, as I said, there's some really powerful moments (including one that i think of as The Moment) but I won't go into them because they'd spoil the experience somewhat.

I'm only three episodes in, but if anything can top that amazing therapy session with Celeste and her awful, horrrible, no good husband I'll be impressed.

That poo poo was tense, and moving, and you could totally see why they'd hire an actress of Robin Weiget's calibre to play a completely throwaway supporting role in that scene. Anyone lesser would have been blown off the screen and out to sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've downloaded it and will watch it soon cause hey I do like all those actresses and I'm always rooting for David E. Kelley to be good again.

• Locked thread