Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If it's any consolation the "bad gameplay/good plot" distinction is reversed from FF12 to 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Even so I don't think that would prevent him from having a thing. Noct after all is the most plotty of the plot but they still gave him a fishing mechanic that is exclusively his.

I get the feeling maybe at some point sparring with Gladio was supposed to be his thing but he brings the others in pretty quick and it is a separate mechanic from the fishing/cooking/survival/photography thing so I doubt many people associate with Gladio if they even remember it exists. Survival absolutely feels way more low-effort than the others which makes me think it's a patch for a lost/unfinished mechanic.

Yeah, he should.
And considering that he always asks to join in with the fishing, he should have been able to tag in for that too at times. Just running around the map, with the bonus of it not accumulating in the car, which is super fun to chill in or chocobos which are just better than running on foot, is painfully bad.

Gladio's skill should have been that you can call his sister to come hang out with the boys and have fun.

Vargatron posted:

If it's any consolation the "bad gameplay/good plot" distinction is reversed from FF12 to 13.

And 15 sorta doubles up on bad for both

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Vargatron posted:

Kind of felt like it had the weakest Sakimoto soundtrack though.

This is how I feel whenever the FF12 soundtrack gets brought up. I like Sakimoto's work on other games pretty well, but most of the tracks for FF12 just don't click with me that much. Maybe not weakest overall, but on the low-end spectrum of his stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ventana posted:

This is how I feel whenever the FF12 soundtrack gets brought up. I like Sakimoto's work on other games pretty well, but most of the tracks for FF12 just don't click with me that much. Maybe not weakest overall, but on the low-end spectrum of his stuff.

The boss fight music from 12 is pretty :krad: though, one of my favorites.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Ventana posted:

FF12 is the only Final Fantasy game that I have completely finished but cannot immediately bring to mind any music track.

edit: Except for the opening rendition of Prelude which is great.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Josuke Higashikata posted:

And 15 sorta doubles up on bad for both

The game blew it's load too early and went into "WRAP THIS poo poo UP" mode in the last 2 chapters. That's my main gripe with it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dross posted:

FF12 is the only Final Fantasy game that I have completely finished but cannot immediately bring to mind any music track.

edit: Except for the opening rendition of Prelude which is great.

the Rabanastre theme is one of my favourites

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Every time I think of FF12 I curse God Himself for infecting mankind with that abomination.

Otherwise it's a good game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I guess they though bringing up Gladiolus' dad would muddle the story too much? But seriously, neither Gladiolus nor Iris brings him up and it's weird. Just one line, like "You're not the only one who's lost someone" or something would have made his outbursts make so much more sense.

Then again unless you've watched Brotherhood or the movie you barely know who Regis is, so....

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Every time I think of FF12 I curse God Himself for infecting mankind with that abomination.

Otherwise it's a good game.

I don't remember the story well enough is this a reference to the game or are you just saying you hated FF12

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

[video type="youtu"]pWgc1pSMCMw[/video]

I'm very excited for the remake, and anyone who didn't play it emulated should try it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

I don't remember the story well enough is this a reference to the game or are you just saying you hated FF12

It's a joke about the person last page who went too far in their "I hate FF12" rant.

I can't be too hard on them though because I've done the same thing before. It never lands though.

For the record I like FF12 fine even though I can never bother to finish it. Every time I get farther in though, so maybe the HD release will be the run I finally beat it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

victrix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgc1pSMCMw

I'm very excited for the remake, and anyone who didn't play it emulated should try it.
PS2 emulation was garbage the last time I tried. Or maybe my computer was, idk.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I still have the disc I put the patched rom on in an attempt to play on my actual PS2, somewhere

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've never played FF12 but reading about its more esoteric requirements for items just fascinate me. Not just the Zodiac spear thing, but how the expanded version had things like invisible chests that you had to rely on hearing the PS2 loading to know if they are there to find some other item. Its bonkers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I don't think there is such a thing as 'good gacha' ever, really, but I like that Bexvius lets you overcome bad luck. In Record Keeper I was screwed out of ever having a good black mage because the gacha never gave me a not-poo poo relic for one, and there was no way around that. I did have some pretty good soul breaks for support characters (Vaan's BSB and a multi-target Full Break on Faris), but because Ramza and Shout existed that didn't matter.

Bexvius may have only ever given me a single 5-star unit, but at least I can do something with the 3 and 4-stars it's given me.

I hate to defend a stupid f2p gachapon game, but Shout really isn't that important. I only got it like a month ago, and I was beating the toughest event fights long before that. Even now that I have it, I don't use it 100% of the time because there are other options. If I could, I would trade my Shout for your Ark Blast in a heartbeat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I've brought up the 12 attack animations before in this very thread and even I think that guy is nuts. It's noticeable! It really is! But it's not soulcrushingly heartrendingly gamebreaking by a long shot.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It kind of gets noted because Balthier is supposed to be the gunner type character but is the worst at using guns. Seems pretty egregious for an oversight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF12 was ahead of its time of making GBS threads up its pace for story when the world opens up.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Balthier being slightly worse at guns than the rest of his team because he's the only one who decided to add a stupid flourish to his attacks is actually hilariously character-consistent.

Fran being the slowest with bows is the real puzzler.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Balthier being slightly worse at guns than the rest of his team because he's the only one who decided to add a stupid flourish to his attacks is actually hilariously character-consistent.

Fran being the slowest with bows is the real puzzler.

Hard to draw a bow with those long, slender arms.

:goonsay:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It is pretty funny to give Ashe a good katana (or is it great katana) and watch her turn into a 15x9999 whirling death machine

Leal posted:

I've never played FF12 but reading about its more esoteric requirements for items just fascinate me. Not just the Zodiac spear thing, but how the expanded version had things like invisible chests that you had to rely on hearing the PS2 loading to know if they are there to find some other item. Its bonkers.

A whole lot of things were esoteric in that game. Summons, for example, had their own built-in gambits, and some of their ultimates were pretty hard to just stumble upon. For example, Famfrit's ultimate is Tsunami and she's got the gambits "summon time remaining < 10s -> Tsunami" and "Self: HP <30% -> Tsunami" set up, so you'll definitely see Tsunami one way or the other unless you cancel the summoning early.

Zodiark, on the other hand, has the gambit "Summoner: status = Petrify -> Final Eclipse", AKA you need the character who summoned Zodiark to be petrified. Since summoning changes the party to just the summon and the summoner, that means you need to make sure the person who learned Zodiark also learned Break or its equivalent skill.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

PS2 emulation was garbage the last time I tried. Or maybe my computer was, idk.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I still have the disc I put the patched rom on in an attempt to play on my actual PS2, somewhere

PS2 emulation's been good for a long time now and FF12 has run well on PCSX2 for ages.

No real point in emulatiing ZJS unless you're totally against buying 12 HD at this point though, imo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kelp Me! posted:

A whole lot of things were esoteric in that game.
Speaking of, I was at PAX East but I didn't think of this until right now so I didn't make note of it while watching the gameplay footage: Did they change the spell-animation-lock thing? I know they showed people casting some fancy spells with others queued up but I don't recall the exact math on how that crap worked. Something about a cap of 8.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

No real point in emulatiing ZJS unless you're totally against buying 12 HD at this point though, imo.

I'll wait til it drops in price before I buy it but XII is one of my favorites in the series so $30-40 for the ability to play it without having to re-buy a PS2 or fiddle with emulators is about right.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of, I was at PAX East but I didn't think of this until right now so I didn't make note of it while watching the gameplay footage: Did they change the spell-animation-lock thing? I know they showed people casting some fancy spells with others queued up but I don't recall the exact math on how that crap worked. Something about a cap of 8.

Given enough haste and a bunch of spells going on at once, the game will queue them up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never did get to play XII IZJS, but enjoyed the base game once I got around to it, but don't remember too many parts to the game besides grinding for the Excalibur through some futuristic looking area (which, I might add, was an awful idea), and hiding behind a rock and casting reflect / thundaga on myself to kill a hunt.

I never did get around to beating the superboss in that game, but I just remember looking at the requirements and said "hell no" because I wasn't going to spend that much time on it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Same, I played the original release a lot, but the reward for defeating Yiazmat never seemed worth it. I also never got a lot of the more obscure weapons like the Yagyu Darkblade that required dumb stuff like chaining bats by zoning through their death animations in order to boost the drop rate enough to get it. I'm looking forward to the Zodiac Age to relive all this again because I did enjoy the game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

and hiding behind a rock and casting reflect / thundaga on myself to kill a hunt.

I too defeated the wyrm in Mt. Bur-Omisace this way

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ff12 is irredeemable

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Ff12 is irredeemable

the cornucopia of bad opinions toots out another one

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
IIRC someone did the calculations about Balthier's slower gun animations and concluded that if a single character attacks a single enemy continously, compared to the others Balthier loses one attack after the 17th consecutive attack. Ultimately the amount of time lost over the entire game of a few dozen hours is roughly a few minutes.

That makes it beyond inconsequential and it's kind of amazing that it still even gets brought up at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kanfy posted:

IIRC someone did the calculations about Balthier's slower gun animations and concluded that if a single character attacks a single enemy continously, compared to the others Balthier loses one attack after the 17th consecutive attack. Ultimately the amount of time lost over the entire game of a few dozen hours is roughly a few minutes.

So what you're saying is that Balthier is worse with a gun??

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Apparently "a few minutes" was overshooting it and it's a loss of somewhere around the ballpark of 90 seconds over the course of the entire game depending how many killing blows Balthier gets. If he gets less than one in six then it's even below that.

Terper posted:

So what you're saying is that Balthier is worse with a gun??

Exactly. And what's with Tifa punching enemies twice in FF7 while Cloud just goes for a quick slash as well? I don't get why Square designs these broken characters that don't respect my time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kanfy posted:

That makes it beyond inconsequential and it's kind of amazing that it still even gets brought up at all.

Truly justifies the criticism that this is the worst game in the entire franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you were really complaining about unbalanced characters in FF games "Balthier attacks an iota of a fraction slower" should be somewhere far, far, far below "half the cast is mechanically inferior in every way" which applies to a huge chunk of Ff games, like how many character without a multi-hit limit break is inherently going to do less damage in the long run.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

And the theme for lowtown has a bit straight out of Secret of Mana, IMO. I thought XII was real good, but it was welcome after X just wasn't my thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If you were really complaining about unbalanced characters in FF games "Balthier attacks an iota of a fraction slower" should be somewhere far, far, far below "half the cast is mechanically inferior in every way" which applies to a huge chunk of Ff games, like how many character without a multi-hit limit break is inherently going to do less damage in the long run.

A reminder that Gau can confuse every single enemy in FF6 and it never wears off. Gau pretty much auto-wins the battle while Cyan's still charging up Sword Tech.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Balthier attacks more slowly because he first must align his twin chakras of Lookin' Good and Feelin' Fine.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

i'm going to continue to believe that exivus is the superior mobile game just based on how much time i've sunk into it trying to murder the side banners for that poo poo I can never afford :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

morallyobjected posted:

If you press me, the Rabanastre theme is the only one I can hum. I like the tone of XII's music but it isn't catchy.

I keep thinking I can remember a boss theme, but every time I try it just turns into Nemesis from XIV.