Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When Summer went to dig up "her" grandpa, I thought things were going to take a far different course.

After all, "her" Rick was from the current reality. I thought she was going to drag his corpse to the nearest Fed official and say, "Here's the real Rick, you can scan him and see he's from this universe. The one you have in jail is from a different universe. All the crimes you say he committed were done by a different person. A dead person. This dead person. Therefore you must let him out of jail."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What was the Marmaduke joke someone in the last thread was talking about?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PSWII60 posted:

I couldn't find him either.

Or this. Is there a site that shows all these little things?

The Rick-who-is-a-Morty:

Bighead-Morty is also in the background, but who cares about that guy amirite? :smugdon:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ol yeller posted:

South Park wishes it could be as brilliant and Rick & Morty.

Not really the meaning I was going for. More just an episode that exists to take a character with a huge number of flaws that most of the fanbase still idolizes and excuses for their actions to keep their ideal alive, and an episode that exists to take that character and just break any chance of sympathizing with them whatsoever.

The difference, as you said, is that Cartman was already a human garbage machine before STMD, while there was enough leeway with the way the show was written for Rick to actually be a slight gut kick when every paint job is stripped away to a big bold flashing sociopath sign.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So I have a pal who doesn't get Rick & Morty's appeal and last night she told me she realized it's because without the Science the show is just an abusive alcoholic yelling at his family and slowly destabilizing them through his own self-loathing.

Divorcing R&M from the sci-for elements is a jump I'd never make but that's at least one person's reason for not liking the show.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

What a weird argument.

The Walking Dead without the zombies is just a show about homeless people, M*A*S*H without the Korean war is just a show about doctors, Stranger Things without scifi is just The Breakfast Club.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think for some people who grew up in families like that the show might hit a little too close to home? Some people just don't like shows about horrible people. I know people who hated breaking bad because walter was an evil criminal and they hated him too much to watch the show. Or people hate always sunny or curb your enthusiasm or even seinfeld because the main cast are all awful awful people.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I know people who hated breaking bad because walter was an evil criminal and they hated him too much to watch the show.

I think Rick liked it well enough.

e: Somehow I missed someone else posted it :downs:

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronjutter posted:

I think for some people who grew up in families like that the show might hit a little too close to home?

It's 100% this. Rick drunkenly rambling at Morty in the garage is funny unless you've been 'Morty' then it's just sad.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

It's 100% this. Rick drunkenly rambling at Morty in the garage is funny unless you've been 'Morty' then it's just sad.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -M. Brooks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually had my overbearing alchoholic grandmother move in with me as a preteen and my mom couldn't address any of the issues around her due to beth-like conflict avoidance and emotions surrounding her mom. It hosed up my early teens and was awful. You'd' actually get cornered rick style and she'd grab you and start drunkenly rambling something she was super passionate about and needed you to know RIGHT NOW.

Still love rick and morty, just makes the comedy more personally relatable!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ouch. I could see where that would take something out of it. I always just saw it as "Doctor Who, but he's constantly drunk and no longer gives a poo poo"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

So I have a pal who doesn't get Rick & Morty's appeal and last night she told me she realized it's because without the Science the show is just an abusive alcoholic yelling at his family and slowly destabilizing them through his own self-loathing.

Let me just say that I don't watch Rick and Morty for the science.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
In the S1E1 rant, Rick still has to keep up appearances for Beth - he has to make it look like these scifi adventures are good for Morty's development, and Morty's gonna keep his mouth shut if he knows what's good for him. Morty is just a jabbering mess so he doesn't see the rant directly.

In this new S3E1 rant, Rick doesn't need any pretense anymore. He risked everything to get rid of literally everyone in his way, and he won - no more Council, no more government, no more Jerry. It doesn't even matter now if Morty tells Beth about this because Rick's a hero. This is Rick Triumphant, Rick who gets everything he wants whenever he wants. And he wants Szechuan sauce! It doesn't matter how trivial it is, he wants it and he's the king now and everything in the whole universe has bent towards what Rick wants. But now Morty is seeing directly what kind of person Rick is. Morty who 3 seasons ago was basically a helpless victim dragged through episodes against his will and is now someone who actually tried to murder Rick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's rick even after? All his adventures seem to be to achieve some goal. He needs a part for some new invention, and the new invention is needed to allow him to do some other thing. He's always desperately building and gathering resources but for what? All his terrorist buddies are dead, but now the federation and council are gone too. He even beat up the devil. What more does he actually need?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

What's rick even after? All his adventures seem to be to achieve some goal. He needs a part for some new invention, and the new invention is needed to allow him to do some other thing. He's always desperately building and gathering resources but for what? All his terrorist buddies are dead, but now the federation and council are gone too. He even beat up the devil. What more does he actually need?

Szechuan sauce! From the Mulan movie promotion!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Last Chance posted:

Szechuan sauce! From the Mulan movie promotion!!

Seems like he'd have to break out the time travel stuff for that. Maybe that was his first project, time travel to get the sauce. That didn't work and everything else has been a spin off.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Baronjutter posted:

Seriously?

He needs that loving Szechuan sauce. Not sure how it couldn't have been made clearer.

Edit:

Baronjutter posted:

Seems like he'd have to break out the time travel stuff for that. Maybe that was his first project, time travel to get the sauce. That didn't work and everything else has been a spin off.

Now you're getting it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Disney has announced they'll be making a live action version of Mulan sometime soon and they'll be looking for corporate tie-ins ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGRDCRuPklc

Forever ago but, mcdonalds and disney no longer have an official corporate relationship. Not since 2007 anyways. So unless things change between now and Nov 2018, mcdonalds should have no incentive to advertise something they have no stake in. Which also means that they have no incentive to 'hold on to it' for a more ideal time, and instead put it out the door in their next empty hole in their promotional calendar.

Mace Bacon posted:

As an Australian I want the Curry Sauce back from when they introduced mcnuggets over here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vae_TZKj8CU

Now I want them to introduce a trio of mcnugget sauce, Szechuan, Curry, and some other one to make it a trio, call it dip around the world or some garbage like that. Plus, they can further hide the fact that Rick and Morty influenced the return of the sauce.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Baronjutter posted:

I actually had my overbearing alchoholic grandmother move in with me as a preteen and my mom couldn't address any of the issues around her due to beth-like conflict avoidance and emotions surrounding her mom. It hosed up my early teens and was awful. You'd' actually get cornered rick style and she'd grab you and start drunkenly rambling something she was super passionate about and needed you to know RIGHT NOW.

Dan's never talked about his parents besides how he has a strained relationship, but this makes me wonder if Rick may have been somewhat inspired by them in a similar style.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do I see a lot of people say Morty is dumb or specifically retarded? He seems to be completely average and just not very good at school, but relatively street smart. People talk about him like he's Fry from Futurama.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

He does have that box labeled "time travel stuff" on his shelf. It's the one with a tentacle-eyeball thing sticking out of it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Megaspel posted:

Dan's never talked about his parents besides how he has a strained relationship, but this makes me wonder if Rick may have been somewhat inspired by them in a similar style.

He's talked about them a bit. They did some corporal punishment, which he had a huge chip on his shoulder about. His mom would see something on TV, like Roots, and then have a special conversation with Dan where she explained what racism was and why it was bad. Same thing for Holocaust denial. (That's why he wanted to create TV -- his mom listened to what was on the TV.) He kinda idolized his dad, and when his dad complimented him for creating Channel 101 and employing a bunch of people, he cried a whole bunch. (Or maybe he just cried when he was talking about it later.)

Also, he called his mom a "oval office" during a game of Catchphrase one time when he and Erin were visiting. (It had gotten very competitive.)

parallelodad posted:

Why do I see a lot of people say Morty is dumb or specifically retarded? He seems to be completely average and just not very good at school, but relatively street smart. People talk about him like he's Fry from Futurama.

He's very much like Fry. Remember how the genius waves from Rick's brain are cancelled out by the Morty waves, allowing him to be invisible to tracking devices? It's like how Fry's lack of the delta brainwave lets him get into the Infosphere, past the brains.

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 3, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but I don't think the "Morty waves" have anything to do with his intellect. He's as competent as any other non-Rick earthling.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Neah, I've been there and it's still funny

Baronjutter posted:

This. I'd say "maybe if you experienced something even worse, it'd make sense for you to not find it funny" but that's a pointless game to play because there's surely someone who's had an even more hosed-up family situation who finds the show even funnier as a result.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Morty has a learning disability or something, but that doesn't mean he's dumb as rocks. Kinda like how some people assume anyone with a mental difference is automatically completely devoid of value.

Gorilla Salad posted:

When Summer went to dig up "her" grandpa, I thought things were going to take a far different course.

After all, "her" Rick was from the current reality. I thought she was going to drag his corpse to the nearest Fed official and say, "Here's the real Rick, you can scan him and see he's from this universe. The one you have in jail is from a different universe. All the crimes you say he committed were done by a different person. A dead person. This dead person. Therefore you must let him out of jail."

It wouldn't have worked because they just wanted to arrest him to steal his technology, they don't have a strong sense of morality, though I could see Summers goofing up by doing that much in the same way she did with the council of Ricks.

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe Rick's living his life like Dan plays Minecraft; not with a goal in mind but just to live in an uncaring universe devoid of meaning.

prefect posted:

He's talked about them a bit. They did some corporal punishment, which he had a huge chip on his shoulder about. His mom would see something on TV, like Roots, and then have a special conversation with Dan where she explained what racism was and why it was bad. Same thing for Holocaust denial. (That's why he wanted to create TV -- his mom listened to what was on the TV.) He kinda idolized his dad, and when his dad complimented him for creating Channel 101 and employing a bunch of people, he cried a whole bunch. (Or maybe he just cried when he was talking about it later.)

Also, he called his mom a "oval office" during a game of Catchphrase one time when he and Erin were visiting.

Ah yeah, now I remember. I sorta remember him not liking his parents that much, or otherwise putting across that vibe? I don't know if I should've brought it up really, it's a bit rude to talk about someone's parents and make assumptions I think.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I don't quite get that vibe about Morty, about him being dumb. I feel like his intelligence is average, actually, it's just that he seriously lacks personal initiative, unless someone really pushes him over the edge in which case he usually does the dumb thing (which is, again, actually p average).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Megaspel posted:

Ah yeah, now I remember. I sorta remember him not liking his parents that much, or otherwise putting across that vibe? I don't know if I should've brought it up really, it's a bit rude to talk about someone's parents and make assumptions I think.

He's been very angry at his parents about some things (the corporal punishment/"my parents hit me" thing), but it's also pretty clear he loves them, too. I think Britta's parents were based on Dan's like that -- he's mad about some things, they acknowledge they made some mistakes, but they're nice people and everybody can get along now that they're all older.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

I don't quite get that vibe about Morty, about him being dumb. I feel like his intelligence is average, actually, it's just that he seriously lacks personal initiative, unless someone really pushes him over the edge in which case he usually does the dumb thing (which is, again, actually p average).

It might've been that at the start they wanted it to seem like Morty was some dumb idiot child being dragged around and constantly confused and freaked out, but now he's borderline psychotic given all he's seen and been exposed to the true evil of Rick. While everyone brings up "Evil Morty" remember that all that Evil Morty was doing was killing Ricks, and in a universe of infinite Ricks and Mortys using a few hundred Mortys to continuously kill hundreds-thousands of Ricks is subjectively a noble cause.

Whose to say how deep and dark this show gets when a recurring gag is fart-butt world. C-137 Morty could easily up and almost murder his Rick (the only Rick left?) but stop because he knows how much it would hurt his mother and sister, or actually murder his Rick and find a more less Rick-like Rick to take his place and toe the line.

Jesus thinking about this show makes my head hurt.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
An important thing to remember about the series is that Rick is more about telling jokes and personal anecdotes from the writers personal lives than being a complex character and that the series is more about being funny with dark, nihilistic humor than telling a complex story. Perhaps its all to circle back to the nihilistic themes of the show, but there really isn't a point to it and trying to find big meaning and patterns in it is a bit of a wasted effort: you're better off just enjoying it while it lasts.

Also, on the why "Why people don't watch it" chat, I know a guy who doesn't watch it because his father is an abusive alcoholic Like he sees clips and thinks its funny, but it messes with him to watch the series. So, there is that. Probably people with that in their background that it doesn't bug, but there are people it does. Doesn't mean anything should change but someone was curious if people do that. I also wouldn't be shocked if people don't watch it because Rick is a bad person or because so many people die/it is very dark and nihilistic: people watch poo poo that fit their tastes and not everyone's tastes would match up with that.

Anyhoo, good season opener. Was not expecting the "jinx, I did this all to get rid of all my enemies. Now, I'm going to be more of a controlling, manipulative alcoholic douche."

Edit: I am convinced this show ends with Morty killing Rick. He's certainly willing to do it and it's the perfect end to a show like this: dark, hosed up, a depressing note for fans, and likely pointless and meaningless as there are infinite ricks on infinite earths.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/292074824691

Mulan Szechuan Sauce can be yours for only $97k

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292074824691

Mulan Szechuan Sauce can be yours for only $97k

That poo poo would be rancid by now. Like, your poo poo would be the same color and consistency as the sauce, except you'd produce 5x the amount.

Wait, I think I just figured out how to mass produce Szechuan sauce.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Covok posted:

That poo poo would be rancid by now.

The image says copyright 2011 :tinfoil:

They must have produced more at some point?!

quote:

You are bidding on an authentic autographed photograph of that Mmmulan McMcMcNugget sauce, printed shoddily on plain paper and sent in an ordinary USPS stamped envelope. You will also receive a complimentary sense of generalized bamboozlement for having the poor judgment to spend good money on this particular auction.

Lol its not even real.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The image says copyright 2011 :tinfoil:

They must have produced more at some point?!

Lol its not even real.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh dear God, this is too rich. If there likely wasn't common law making this reversible in civil court, I might pull the same poo poo on a bunch of hapless, rapid, R&M fans. Maybe not 97K, though. Selling it for $100 would probably sell.

Edit: On topic, anyone found it weird how Beth said Jerry was going to be leaving. Sounded strangely cryptic. Might just be me.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Morty being extraordinarily dumb is an idea that Rick perpetuates, but the show has never actually backed that up in any other way. He's a poor student, but there are so many other possible reasons for that. (such as having all of his study time taken up by Rick's misadventures) if nothing else, Morty shows an almost superhuman level of adaptability, and catches on to weird alien situations astonishingly quickly. Sure he freaks out and fucks up sometimes, but not nearly as often as any average person would.

Perhaps the only difference between the genius Evil Morty and most other Mortys is that Rick never managed to break his spirit

I think the only real question is if Rick actually believes Morty is stupid, or if convincing everyone of that is just a useful way to manipulate him. If it's the former, that could be a very dangerous blind spot for Rick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That auction made me laugh. What's funnier that he had that Ebay account since 2005.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Covok posted:

Edit: On topic, anyone found it weird how Beth said Jerry was going to be leaving. Sounded strangely cryptic. Might just be me.

Pretty sure that Jerry is just going to end up living with Doofus Rick on poo poo-eating world.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty sure that Jerry is just going to end up living with Doofus Rick on poo poo-eating world.

I'd watch those adventures! Although watching them watch Titanic on a rainy day might be kind of boring

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Where can I loving watch this episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

parallelodad posted:

Yeah but I don't think the "Morty waves" have anything to do with his intellect. He's as competent as any other non-Rick earthling.

Yeah, Morty seems more with it than most people in the universe of the show. He's just an insecure kid with average intelligence and kind of lovely self-esteem. Rick berating him for being an idiot is just Rick being an abusive dick.

Jerry's the one who's barely functional. It's not just that he's a spineless, conviction-less worm-person, he's also flat-out stupid. The simulation episode alone makes this clear.