Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Some kind of hybrid with rules from both and poo poo" seems to have been what a lot of people actually played. I think it was in some other TGD thread here where they said that playing AD&D 1E with things like weapon speed modifiers, you know, "used at all" actually created a lot of interesting emergent tactical gameplay and made it easier to overcome monsters if you played right.

But folks didn't on account of they were children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

"Some kind of hybrid with rules from both and poo poo" seems to have been what a lot of people actually played. I think it was in some other TGD thread here where they said that playing AD&D 1E with things like weapon speed modifiers, you know, "used at all" actually created a lot of interesting emergent tactical gameplay and made it easier to overcome monsters if you played right.

But folks didn't on account of they were children.

Also the weapon type vs. armor class tables.

For every type of armor there's a weapon that will give you a +3 or a +2 to-hit, and that's enough to push level 1 characters to 60-70% hit rates. I've always wanted to try running with it, because it reinforces the "golf bag weaponmaster Fighter" theme and gives them a nod to their high Strength encumbrance levels, but it requires a level of engagement with rules that, as you said, most people don't bother with because it's too complex.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

For every type of armor there's a weapon that will give you a +3 or a +2 to-hit, and that's enough to push level 1 characters to 60-70% hit rates. I've always wanted to try running with it, because it reinforces the "golf bag weaponmaster Fighter" theme and gives them a nod to their high Strength encumbrance levels, but it requires a level of engagement with rules that, as you said, most people don't bother with because it's too complex.

And the right answers seems to be "Zweihander with a pick for platemail."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

:yeah: and it means poo poo like "the thief sneaks past the orc/bandit encampment and scopes out their gear, then silently comes back to report" is a real loving advantage if you have a toolkit.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I like especially how they actually seemed to believe that being hit frontal by a mounted lance while wearing platemail wouldn´t be easier. Those fuckers are ramming with 60 miles an hour and sure as hell no amount of platemail will help you against that. +0 ....pfff

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kavak posted:

And the right answers seems to be "Zweihander with a pick for platemail."

If you want to hold a Shield, you'll want to have a Flail instead of the Two-Handed Sword, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr.Misfit posted:

I like especially how they actually seemed to believe that being hit frontal by a mounted lance while wearing platemail wouldn´t be easier. Those fuckers are ramming with 60 miles an hour and sure as hell no amount of platemail will help you against that. +0 ....pfff
I think the conceit of AC is that you have to beat it to hit and hurt the opponent, not "get hit at all." Maybe that changed after 2E, I dunno.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I don't think the lance rules take into account mounted combat, which is generally an issue with attempts at trying to cover every possible interaction like these - there's always something you forgot.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Dareon posted:

You had me at Squord. What was that in Japanese? I could make a few painful guesses: Takochi? Takotana?

e: Am I reading this right, and each card basically has its own skill you need to roll to use it?

'Geso-do'. Geso is a culinary term for squid legs, that has come to refer to squids in general. Lovers of dumb anime memes may remember the 'de geso' meme from Squid Girl. So: Geso-do = Gesword = Squord.

And you are correct about the cards being their own skills. If you have the skill for the card the difficulty of the roll is 5. If you don't, you look at the skill grid and figure out how many spaces away your closest skill is and add 1 difficulty for every space between them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

13 True Wars is awful but yes, Drakkenhall owns.

The Blue is great and deserves a better game/setting with her rad city of monsters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking as someone who started playing back in the day with a Moldivay boxed set from Toy's R Us: the reason we kept playing was because it was just me and my friends who were in my age bracket. I wasn't introduced to the hobby by someone in their late 20's/early 30's who was approaching things in a kill-em-all mindset, we were a bunch of kids in middle school who were doing the best we could with a boxed set that didn't explain things too well and only got you to level 3.

To be honest, that's one of the reasons why I always have a hard time with OSR games and the "this is how we played RPGs back in MY DAY" mindset. There wasn't a universal "this is how we played D&D" because there wasn't any way to spread that universal playstyle. There wasn't an internet and the instructions on how to run games weren't that good, so each group had to either a) figure it out for themselves, or b) luck into meeting someone from another group who knew what they were doing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I started D&D with these bad boys:

I then bought the 2nd edition DM's Guide (the one with the monsters bursting through the door) and realized I had no idea how the game worked, exactly. The fact that you had to buy the Monster Manual separately to actually do anything was a pretty big turn-off, considering how expensive the rulebook was back then.

I'd only ever start to understand how D&D 2nd edition worked thanks to Baldur's Gate, and through that I also realized that a lot of the underlying systems are incredibly clunky and hard to adjudicate without deep system mastery (see: weapon speed, casting speed, and interrupting spellcasts).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

13 True Wars is awful but yes, Drakkenhall owns.

The Blue is great and deserves a better game/setting with her rad city of monsters.

The Three and their related stuff is way better than anything else in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I started DnD by inheriting a shitload of modules, weirdass monster books, and random one off junk books for settings or features and not one single DMs guide or Players Handbook. I backsolved everything for our group and man was it weird. Out wizard didnt know any basic spells like magic missle but had like the entire esoteric bigbys collection. Our fighter always ran exotic weaponry since i had like 5 times the rules for those and we assumed turns were measured in discrete chunks of time so like attacking was X units, each square of movement was a unit, investigating things in combat cost units etc.

OSR games cant give me back my bootleg game where someone played a halfbird with the completely misunderstood rules for cleave in it.

We quit playing around the time somebody found the actual rules and we agreed they were dumb and videogames were great.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Barudak posted:

I started DnD by inheriting a shitload of modules, weirdass monster books, and random one off junk books for settings or features and not one single DMs guide or Players Handbook. I backsolved everything for our group and man was it weird. Out wizard didnt know any basic spells like magic missle but had like the entire esoteric bigbys collection. Our fighter always ran exotic weaponry since i had like 5 times the rules for those and we assumed turns were measured in discrete chunks of time so like attacking was X units, each square of movement was a unit, investigating things in combat cost units etc.

OSR games cant give me back my bootleg game where someone played a halfbird with the completely misunderstood rules for cleave in it.

We quit playing around the time somebody found the actual rules and we agreed they were dumb and videogames were great.

I made a similar bootleg adventure for my gifted program back in Elementary school based upon my entirely flawed understanding of how the game worked via the above-mentioned FastPlay books. The adventure basically sent the party through said Elementary school to... You know what? Looking back on it, I don't think I had a hook other than 'explore all the rooms, laugh at all of the in-jokes'. I don't even know how it worked, because I never actually ran it.

My favorite was the cafeteria with the gelatinous cube posing as a bunch of harmless Jell-O cups (or whatever cut-rate gelatin they provided to make $1.25 lunches break-even), followed by poking around under desks and getting mauled by the horde of gum-on-desk creatures. It was, in a word, terribad. I may have put a bullshit wizard in there with 1 hp who could cast Lightning Bolt for 6d6 damage. I forget where I placed him, though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

gradenko_2000 posted:

They've maybe gotten a little better at it, insofar as passive Perception is now a thing and Take 10 used to be a thing in 3e and 4e, and then I saw someone on another forum bitch about how the 5e version of Tomb of Horrors was piss-weak because the traps deal damage instead of just killing you outright, but there's still a lot for a DM to learn as far as giving the players a fair shot at hurdling a difficult obstacle without coming off as a total dick that sprung some gas because the Thief didn't specify the correct verb when checking the floor or whatever.

I don't normally do this, but I have to side with the anonymous grog. Tomb of Horrors is an important enough part of the game's history that it's worth preserving its reputation as a PC meatgrinder.

That said, when I was doing the conversion of the dungeon I condensed down mechanics in several places to move things along. The best example is the Stone Juggernaut. There's at least 3 die rolls, probably more, when all that really needs to be determined is "how many PCs get crushed before they wake up".

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't normally do this, but I have to side with the anonymous grog. Tomb of Horrors is an important enough part of the game's history that it's worth preserving its reputation as a PC meatgrinder.

That said, when I was doing the conversion of the dungeon I condensed down mechanics in several places to move things along. The best example is the Stone Juggernaut. There's at least 3 die rolls, probably more, when all that really needs to be determined is "how many PCs get crushed before they wake up".

Well...contrarian for oppositions sake. Here I go...

I don´t think so. In fact, I think hat Tomb of Horror has an entirely undeserving and overblown position in DnD history. It was a tourney module based on and built for Gygax´s personal group and frankly, it´s rather uninspiring to waltz through with a normal group who hasn´t caught on that it´s a middle finger to players. Toning it down to humane levels makes it at least mediocre, but can´t save it from the fact that its whole existence is based on something of a very personal arms race that simply cannot be replicated. But because Grogs continue to hold up all by old Gary himself as the divine Moccha of Pleasure itself, it obviously must be a good, great or perfect thing that shall never be touched.

I mean, even the bible was revised, so Tomb of Horrors definitely should be.

PS.: ;)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like super lethal Tomb of Horrors ( I had the temple of elemental evil module and man that was a blast with no understanding of the real rules) but the problem is character creation is massively more involved in DnD than it used to be. If you ran tomb and got meat grinded you were out only a couple of turns of gameplay while you frantically rolled 6 attributes and tried to come up with a new name. Now if you wipe youve got all sorts of stats and feats and level bonuses to tabulate and track even if you arent a spellcaster.

Like, new tomb can absolutely be just as lethal, but it should come with a rapid random character generator.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm guessing it was for more common for people to just not be playing these rules as strictly as we might think of them now. I've also heard a lot of stories where people bought "Advanced D&D", thought it was supposed to be some kind of add-on to "Basic D&D", and ended up playing some Frankenstein's hybrid with rules cherry-picked from both.

I got into D&D from my dad, who was in college when the game first came out. On top of that, I had both the AD&D 2nd edition player's handbook and the AD&D 1st edition player's handbook, and had NO IDEA that they were of different editions, and so used both freely and interchangeably. So for most of my childhood, I played a weird mashup of the rules my dad remembered and played with (which were their own hodgepodge of house rules, misunderstood stuff and basic+ad&d mixed), plus the various Dragon magazine articles, handbooks (I loved the Complete Humanoid book) and the multiple-editions worth of player's handbooks. It wasn't until I played Neverwinter Nights (which was 3e) that I even knew wizards were supposed to have spellbooks they picked spells from, rather than just knowing and using a fixed list.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
High lethality generally works in two circumstances: 1) Character creation is quick and effortless, and the game puts little focus on character growth, individual stories, and focuses more on group success (letting you go with a line of characters conga-ing into their certain dooms), or 2) combat and similar high-risk activities are rare and generally initiated when players decide to push the envelope (or at the climax of an adventure). Honorable mention goes to games where "dying" doesn't actually remove your character from play, a la Paranoia or Dark Souls.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
High lethality really doesn't work since 3.X, where character generation not only took longer, but basically forced you to map out your character's growth in advance.

Nessus posted:

I think the conceit of AC is that you have to beat it to hit and hurt the opponent, not "get hit at all." Maybe that changed after 2E, I dunno.

"Getting hit at all" and "Getting hurt" are one and the same when it comes to a mounted lance charge.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kaza42 posted:

I got into D&D from my dad, who was in college when the game first came out. On top of that, I had both the AD&D 2nd edition player's handbook and the AD&D 1st edition player's handbook, and had NO IDEA that they were of different editions, and so used both freely and interchangeably. So for most of my childhood, I played a weird mashup of the rules my dad remembered and played with (which were their own hodgepodge of house rules, misunderstood stuff and basic+ad&d mixed), plus the various Dragon magazine articles, handbooks (I loved the Complete Humanoid book) and the multiple-editions worth of player's handbooks. It wasn't until I played Neverwinter Nights (which was 3e) that I even knew wizards were supposed to have spellbooks they picked spells from, rather than just knowing and using a fixed list.

PurpleXVI posted:

5E was designed by committee and had no idea what it wanted to be, which meant they ended up with an edition that did a lot of things "okay," did nothing really well or uniquely and ultimately did a lot of things worse than already-existing editions. Like, I find it hard to come up with any reason to not just play 2E, 4E or even 3E instead of 5E. On every single metric it's beaten by one of those three editions, it has no stand-out point where you can go: "Well if you want THIS" or "If you want this done REALLY WELL," then you have to play 5E over the other three, while I'd say that those other three all have something going for them in terms of being different.

In this sense, perhaps 5E is the Oldest School Rules of All given that its design-by-committee nature ensures it's a hodgepodge of house rules, misunderstood stuff, and basic+AD&D mixed into a slurry in a hurry. No dig against you and your dad - if you enjoyed what you were playing, then you were playing your D&D right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doresh posted:

High lethality really doesn't work since 3.X, where character generation not only took longer, but basically forced you to map out your character's growth in advance.

"Getting hit at all" and "Getting hurt" are one and the same when it comes to a mounted lance charge.
If we crack open the versimilitude argument we're going to be here all week! At least back in the old school poo poo HP was explicitly "consequential impact or erosion of your edge" until you got down to the last few, at which point yeah you're probably getting meat burned off/cut off. Word of god.

Also as the guy upthread said, it was probably not intended for the specifics of a mounted attack.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

every time you write the name of the blessed TOMB OF HORRORS with lowercase letters, acererak kills and reanimates a puppy as a winter-wight

please, think of the blackfire-infused puppies

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

If we crack open the versimilitude argument we're going to be here all week! At least back in the old school poo poo HP was explicitly "consequential impact or erosion of your edge" until you got down to the last few, at which point yeah you're probably getting meat burned off/cut off. Word of god.
It's totally realistic to assume that a hardened veteran can take 10 axe hits to the face without issues.

And lances might not hurt your meat, but they hurt your feelings. Because charging at you is just rude.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think the lance rules take into account mounted combat, which is generally an issue with attempts at trying to cover every possible interaction like these - there's always something you forgot.

It doesn't - there are additional bonuses for being on the horse.

2e DMG posted:

In mounted fighting, a character gets a +1 bonus to his chance to hit creatures smaller
than his mount. Thus, a man on horseback gains a +1 bonus to his attack rolls against all
medium-sized creatures such as other men, but would not gain this bonus against another
rider or a giant. Those on foot who fight against a mounted rider, have a -1 penalty; this
not applied to attacks against the mount, however.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is it alright to ask for opinions on a specific system in this thread?

Heavy Gear 3e and most/all(?) of its supplements is up on Bundle of Holding for dirt cheap. Is it worth buying? Is this the kind of game I could sit down and play with some friends if only I had a copy of the rules or is it pretty crunchy?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Getsuya posted:

Is it alright to ask for opinions on a specific system in this thread?

Heavy Gear 3e and most/all(?) of its supplements is up on Bundle of Holding for dirt cheap. Is it worth buying? Is this the kind of game I could sit down and play with some friends if only I had a copy of the rules or is it pretty crunchy?

Well, this largely depends on how much your friends are into Armored Trooper Votoms, since Heavy Gear is basically that. This is not a setting about badass Gundams, but about what is basically oversized power armor on skates who need to be really careful around enemy tanks.

Crunch is largely focused on vehicle creation, which you don't really have to do with all dem Gears already statted out. 3rd edition muddied the rules a bit with a Complexity rating for each skill, but it's no biggie.
The crunchiest part aside from vehicle creation is probably the damage resolution revolving around multiplying your weapon's base damage with the margin of success, but that shouldn't be too hard to get used to.

Other than that, the rules are based on a rather fast and clear - if a bit lethal - wargame, so things should work out.
(The wargame is also really fond if using lots of abbreviations for weapons, but the RPG statblocks write them out in full.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Awesome, thanks! I'll pick it up and see what I can do with it. Our current DM is having trouble keeping up a weekly campaign so I might offer to run this every other week to give him some down time. I think the guys in the group would love a not-too-crunchy mech game with good metaplot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here are the Player combat charts from Greyhawk (Supplement I to the original White Box set) if you want to compare...

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Getsuya posted:

Awesome, thanks! I'll pick it up and see what I can do with it. Our current DM is having trouble keeping up a weekly campaign so I might offer to run this every other week to give him some down time. I think the guys in the group would love a not-too-crunchy mech game with good metaplot.

Metaplot's kinda weird in Heavy Gear since most of the later stuff got retconned when the wargame got a facelift. Though the premise is still the same.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't remember ever using those weapon type tables back in the day. Do any of the recent OSR retro-clones use that table or similar?

Material Components is another one I never remember seeing used, except for a one-off with a clearly OCD GM who had carefully worked out in advance on a seperate sheet all the Material Components for the pre-gen'ed Druid he gave me to play.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doresh posted:

It's totally realistic to assume that a hardened veteran can take 10 axe hits to the face without issues.

And lances might not hurt your meat, but they hurt your feelings. Because charging at you is just rude.
Have you heard about a little game... called pathfinder

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

13 True Ways has a goonmade dungeon in it.

13th Age is basically 'DnD5e but better' which isn't a terribly hard hurdle to clear but it works well enough if your requirements are the following:
- Every class can contribute meaningfully (everyone has backgrounds, and while some classes are eh, the challenge scaling is actually on the easy side)
- Math mostly works
- is recognisably DnD-style fantasy with wizards and rogues and fighters
- is less crunchy than other editions of DnD
- has rules for non-grid combat that aren't just handwavey and are actually gridless
- has a free SRD

For all those reasons, it works for a lot of former-DnD groups.

Also the monster design/layouting is good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The gridless bit is important. Almost everyone effectively played D&D 3.5 or whatever gridless, and man it was not made for that.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
13th Age is like a Michigan Koney/Coney Island diner: the substance is kind of generic and very hit-or-miss at times, but there's enough variety on the menu and some unique stuff offered there that it's still a thing you'll go back to once in a while.

This is compared to D&D 5th Edition, the Denny's of RPGs. Nobody with a sound mind and any knowledge of anything else choose to go there, they just end up there as a last resort.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Spiderfist Island posted:

13th Age is like a Michigan Koney/Coney Island diner: the substance is kind of generic and very hit-or-miss at times, but there's enough variety on the menu and some unique stuff offered there that it's still a thing you'll go back to once in a while.

This is compared to D&D 5th Edition, the Denny's of RPGs. Nobody with a sound mind and any knowledge of anything else choose to go there, they just end up there as a last resort.

Or when they are drunk in college after partying from 8pm to 4am and know there is a Denny's at the edge of campus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Doresh posted:

Idunno if you're serious of not, but "HP = Meat Points???" is the silliest D&D argument to have, because Gygax said "Of course not" right in the AD&D1e DMG.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Idunno if you're serious of not, but "HP = Meat Points???" is the silliest D&D argument to have, because Gygax said "Of course not" right in the AD&D1e DMG.

counterpoint: it's a thing gary gygax wrote in the AD&D 1e DMG, so it is exceedingly statistically likely to be a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Halloween Jack posted:

On one hand, of course not.

On the other hand, everyone describes a successful attack as hitting, and uses words like damage, scratches, and bleeding all the time. Saying, "you feel his ability to dodge a final, fatal blow decreasing," just doesn't have the same panache.