Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I could see Optane being successful in laptops. It will let OEMs chuck whatever garbage tier 2tb HDD they can get into a laptop and then slap a 16GB Optane SSD in it and you've got "2tb of storage accelerated with Intel Optane SSD technology".

They can then show it booting windows as fast or faster than a laptop with a puny 256GB SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krailor posted:

I could see Optane being successful in laptops. It will let OEMs chuck whatever garbage tier 2tb HDD they can get into a laptop and then slap a 16GB Optane SSD in it and you've got "2tb of storage accelerated with Intel Optane SSD technology".

They can then show it booting windows as fast or faster than a laptop with a puny 256GB SSD.

Evidently Optane pulls down ~1-1.2W at idle, so maybe not the first generation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently Optane pulls down ~1-1.2W at idle, so maybe not the first generation.

Optane is a complete no go on desktop systems. Who the gently caress wants to spend half a decent SSD on a stupid cache drive. Im really surprised the 'press' is covering like it is a reasonable solution for something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krailor posted:

Lenovo has been doing that with M.2 SSD's and other than booting faster than a regular HDD, its oointless

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So the new 3d nand fabs are supposed to start coming online towards the end of the year right? I guess thats how long till ssds become sensibly priced again?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Krailor posted:

They can (and sometimes do) already do this today with NAND, at a lower cost. Why do you think a more expensive memory technology with only a marginal improvement over NAND (in this application) will do better than, say, Seagate's SSHDs? (Which have been proving for quite some time that 8GB of cache isn't enough to make a HDD perform anything like a SSD, and that isn't likely to markedly improve with Optane or 16GB cache capacity.)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BobHoward posted:

They can (and sometimes do) already do this today with NAND, at a lower cost. Why do you think a more expensive memory technology with only a marginal improvement over NAND (in this application) will do better than, say, Seagate's SSHDs? (Which have been proving for quite some time that 8GB of cache isn't enough to make a HDD perform anything like a SSD, and that isn't likely to markedly improve with Optane or 16GB cache capacity.)

Microsoft Studio is one product with similar system. 32 GB M.2 drive as cache with 1 or 2 TB storage drive.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I had my first non-OCZ SSD failure last night. 840 Evo 750gb I had installed in a Mid-2010 Mac Pro just under 3 years ago and used as a boot and data drive for a machine doing a large amount of scientific data analysis (although most of the use was very read-heavy). I unfortunately can't tell how much data has actually been written to it, because last night the computer spontaneously shut down and the disk was preventing it from booting up in any mode, and cannot be detected by macOS or Windows while in a USB3 enclosure.

The three year warranty expires on Saturday (3 days from now) and I have multiple full backups so I count myself pretty fortunate I don't have to recreate all that data or buy another $2-300 SSD. I also am realizing how little SSD prices have gone down in the three years since I bought that thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SSD prices did go down, there's just been a global NAND shortage for a while now and demand is only increasing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
If you've only got a few days left on the warranty, don't wait a day more to start the RMA process IMO. I've RMA'd a Samsung SSD before, and while it is true that they are one of the few SSD vendors that actually stand behind their products, I remember the process being slightly obtuse. They use an outside contractor to handle SSD warranty service, and I remember it being a little bit of an adventure actually getting connected to them through Samsung's 800 number. Once you do get a call through and convince a tech that you need an RMA, they'll want you to jump through a couple more hoops before setting it up.

By the way, what I got back was a remanufactured drive with a label marking it as such, and it was definitely used as SMART showed a significant number of LBAs written. More than the drive I sent to them, not enough that I was pissed off. So, you might not (probably won't) get a like-new drive back. I suspect that any SSD vendor's most common return is not true hardware failure; corrupted internal data structures (the LBA->physical mapping tables, etc) are more likely and can brick SSDs quite easily. When they get these they can send them back out as warranty replacements after little more than a new label, a firmware update, and an ATA secure erase to nuke and pave the previous customer's data while also re-initializing all the data structures.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've had a slightly more positive experience with a planar tlc Samsung ssd - support was through a regional contractor, but said contractor did have a paper trail upon request by phone and wasn't trying to screw me. Drive I got back was refurbished but did last through and beyond my remaining warranty.

Jump on that fucker's warranty asap, you need the claim submitted with a valid date stamped on it.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 30, 2017

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I ended up calling the 1-800 Samsung number yesterday afternoon because the online system wouldn't accept an repair request and the first person I talked to after the robot took down my email address just asked if I needed a warranty repair and sent me a list of questions to respond to and send their totalts.com contractor in NJ. A couple hours later I had a confirmation email from Samsung and a two-day UPS shipping label. Hopefully it continues to go smoothly. Trying to spell an email with many C's, D's, and E's over the phone to a voice recognition system wasn't very fun although to be fair it usually takes just as long for humans over the phone.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can someone recommend me a good USB stick for a Surface 4 Pro to install Steam games on. The internal SSD is non-upgradeable and only has 256GB, and games like Crusader Kings II take up a lot of space.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Can someone recommend me a good USB stick for a Surface 4 Pro to install Steam games on. The internal SSD is non-upgradeable and only has 256GB, and games like Crusader Kings II take up a lot of space.

Samsung has new MicroSD cards that have UFS tech which is basically SSD speeds in a MicroSD. I'd definitely get one of those when they become available.

quote:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3095291/hardware/samsungs-new-ufs-memory-cards-as-fast-as-ssd-drives.html

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

Samsung has new MicroSD cards that have UFS tech which is basically SSD speeds in a MicroSD. I'd definitely get one of those when they become available.

Uhhhhhh don't you need a USB adapter that can use the UFS standard and a USB port that can handle the throughput (which the surface does have)????

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Uhhhhhh don't you need a USB adapter that can use the UFS standard and a USB port that can handle the throughput (which the surface does have)????

I could have sworn the Surface Pro 4 had a MicroSD slot...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

redeyes posted:

I could have sworn the Surface Pro 4 had a MicroSD slot...

It does. Not sure what sort of MicroSD slot.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It does, but then that card reader has to support UFS as well

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Look closely. UFS is a different form factor than microSD. A UFS card will not fit in a microSD slot.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

SSD prices did go down, there's just been a global NAND shortage for a while now and demand is only increasing.
The reason for this is that 3D nand was delayed for every nand fab in such a way that they started converting the fabs to that all at the same time, also simultaneously when every manufacturer is making new phones, leaving NAND capacity relatively low until those 3D fabs come online, which is at the end of this year at the earliest optimistic estimate :eng99:

The MX300 and X400 1TB capacities had a price bump of 25 dollars at most, at least.

This is nothing compared to the Hynix "oops half our wafers had a defect, time to throw away all that pure glass which happens to be almost a quarter of the world's demand of DRAM" fuckup though

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

td4guy posted:

Look closely. UFS is a different form factor than microSD. A UFS card will not fit in a microSD slot.

That's also incorrect. A UFS microSD card is backwards compatible with microSD card readers. No form factor difference between this:

and this:

The real difference is the extra flush contacts on the back for card readers with UFS-compatible pins.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yea, I'm finding it difficult to find any use case for such a big hybrid drive for me. Everything I'd need from mass storage like that would be infrequently and randomly accessed anyway, so it wouldn't be even cached to the SSD part of it, or it would be media like music etc where it wouldn't matter.

If I had a spinner at all now it would be fast SSD for system / most common apps + cheap reliable non hybrid drive for files.

This is exactly what I went for in the end. 2TB spinner in the SATA slot and I already have a 256GB SM951 in the M.2 slot.

Just feels like a kinda backwards step that the SATA is having a 240GB Intel 330 replaced with a 2TB spinner, but I need the space and don't wanna spunk 3 times the value of the laptop on a huge SSD.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's also incorrect. A UFS microSD card is backwards compatible with microSD card readers. No form factor difference between this:

and this:

The real difference is the extra flush contacts on the back for card readers with UFS-compatible pins.

You linked two images where neither are UFS.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Because I thought you were all talking about UHS-I (which Samsung has also made microSD cards for) or UHS-II
and not UFS :negative:

The key term in the article there is

quote:

new microSD-like card

Not "new microSD card"

I need to find a new way to play off my ignorance as humorous or anything remotely worth reading

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 3, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I found this image which shows the physical differences off kind of well.

From http://www.lovemysurface.net/universal-flash-storage-ufs-memory-cards-surface-pro-book-stand/

The form-factor is similar enough that a reader supporting both formats is possible, but current SD readers aren't compatible.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 3, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, at least people with U.2 ports on their 200-series or better motherboards will be able to use something with it: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-working-on-900p-consumer-optane-ssd-with-high-volume-capacity.html

Dat power consumption, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 3, 2017

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

That now brings the number of U.2 devices to two (2), both of which are absurdly expensive Intel products.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

metallicaeg posted:

That now brings the number of U.2 devices to two (2), both of which are absurdly expensive Intel products.

Do you mean consumer ones? Because there are quite a few enterprise ones..

M.2 is the defacto consumer nvme standard right now, for better or worse.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Do you mean consumer ones? Because there are quite a few enterprise ones..

M.2 is the defacto consumer nvme standard right now, for better or worse.

Yeah, consumer. It's dumb to me why they're still on consumer boards along with SATA Express. If someone really wants to use U.2, they can pop in an M.2 adapter card or one in a PCIe slot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In one hand, I want to argue that m.2 does not lend itself well to multi-drive setups. You can get 3 or 4 slots on an atx board, and even then the between-every-pcie-slot location of the drives is problematic. For example, I don't have to remove my pcie cards to swap out a drive connected to a 7-pin sata connector. U.2 will let us put much many more nand packages into larger drive enclosures and place them anywhere in the case.

On the other hand, I can't really find a way to justify "you need more than one 2TB nvme drive" yet or even in the near future for home and gaming users. Sata ssd or hdd is probably gong to be the home user capacity tier for a couple more years.

Perhaps the answer lies in, "use the connector that is more flexible for potential future use cases." I do foresee this thread getting questions like "How do I move from my old m.2 stick to a new one" from people who only have one m.2 slot. U.2 lends itself to the "plug both drives in and clone" upgrade path more readily.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 4, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have a few questions about my new SSD. It's a M.2 NVMe 1TB 960 EVO in PCIE mode.

1) Ran the Samsung Magician benchmarks on it, but I'm not sure how good these numbers are:

Sequential MB/s read/write - 2825/1888
Random IOPS read/write - 401608/361347

I think this drive is rated for 3200 sequential read, so it's coming up short for some reason? I've put 73 gigs on it so far.

2) Currently it's running on the Microsoft NVMe driver, should I install the Samsung one instead?

3) What is "Rapid Mode"? Magician reports that it's "not supported". Do I want this? How do I get it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What OS is it? Install the samsung driver if it is supported by the OS, results will possibly be better. Going from the ms drivers in windows server 2012 to the ones in 2016 there is an increase in performance I noticed, so drivers do matter a bit.

Otherwise benchmarking ssds is a bit of a dark art, with things like preconditioning required to get the drive into a steady state.

I'd say those results look to be in the right ball park and don't sweat it too much. If you were seeing sub 1600 seq reads then it could be running in x2 which could be a drive or motherboard or connection issue.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Ofecks posted:

3) What is "Rapid Mode"? Magician reports that it's "not supported". Do I want this? How do I get it?

For #3, you don't want it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ofecks posted:

I have a few questions about my new SSD. It's a M.2 NVMe 1TB 960 EVO in PCIE mode.

1) Ran the Samsung Magician benchmarks on it, but I'm not sure how good these numbers are:

Sequential MB/s read/write - 2825/1888
Random IOPS read/write - 401608/361347

I think this drive is rated for 3200 sequential read, so it's coming up short for some reason? I've put 73 gigs on it so far.

2) Currently it's running on the Microsoft NVMe driver, should I install the Samsung one instead?

1) Those numbers are fine. I've yet to see a benchmark actually hit 3200 sequential read. I don't know what the bottleneck has been so far, but you aren't an outlier.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10833/the-samsung-960-evo-1tb-review/7

2) I know the device was supposed to support eDrive by firmware update in the future, but that as of the middle of March that hadn't happened yet. My suspicion is that the driver Microsoft furnished is actually the Samsung driver?

3) Rapid mode uses system RAM to cache drive I/O. Thing is, Windows disk write caching and Linux buffer caching already exist and are well optimized for ssds. There is also some question on how consistency is maintained on power failure with Rapid Mode. I avoid it, and I believe the thread's mainstream opinion on Rapid Mode is that it's a gimmick for benchmarking that can be avoided.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Potato Salad posted:

2) I know the device was supposed to support eDrive by firmware update in the future, but that as of the middle of March that hadn't happened yet. My suspicion is that the driver Microsoft furnished is actually the Samsung driver?

Could be! I'm on Win10 x64. I installed the Samsung driver, and device manager still reports it as Microsoft, while Magician says Samsung. :shrug: I ran the benchmark again afterwards, and got the same results.

Good to know that's it's running normally. Thank you and everyone else for your answers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My guess is it's hitting ~3200MB/sec under highly specific conditions, possibly on OSes and system setups completely atypical to consumer use, possibly even restricted builds of Windows where NTFS has been tweaked to expect high speed transfers and not like normal people's Windows where they have to develop and maintain the code assuming everyone still uses HDDs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I look at those benchmarks similarly to car manufacturers fuel economy ratings - numbers garnered from absolutely ideal conditions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crossposted from the BYOPC thread:

FOR EVERYONE CONSIDERING OR CURRENTLY USING A SAMSUNG 950 PRO, SM951, SM961, OR 960 EVO NVMe SSDs:

There's a new Samsung driver (v2.2) out for it: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html

When it comes to drivers for something as vital as your boot drive, though...let *others* be the guinea pigs first before loading it unless you're having bonafide issues...as Samsung generally never provides a changelog except in this instance that this version allows the 960 EVO to function better with Windows 7.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crossposted from the BYOPC thread:

FOR EVERYONE CONSIDERING OR CURRENTLY USING A SAMSUNG 950 PRO, SM951, SM961, OR 960 EVO NVMe SSDs:

There's a new Samsung driver (v2.2) out for it: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html

When it comes to drivers for something as vital as your boot drive, though...let *others* be the guinea pigs first before loading it unless you're having bonafide issues...as Samsung generally never provides a changelog except in this instance that this version allows the 960 EVO to function better with Windows 7.

I always thought that the Samsung OEM SSDs weren't compatible with Samsung Drivers and had to use microsoft drivers? I have both the Samsung 960 EVO and a SM961 and the driver only works for my 960 EVO. Unless I'm doing something wrong. The 960 is in my laptop and the SM961 is in my desktop.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up anyways! Will wait a bit but will update my laptop's drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

I always thought that the Samsung OEM SSDs weren't compatible with Samsung Drivers and had to use microsoft drivers? I have both the Samsung 960 EVO and a SM961 and the driver only works for my 960 EVO. Unless I'm doing something wrong. The 960 is in my laptop and the SM961 is in my desktop.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up anyways! Will wait a bit but will update my laptop's drivers

Someone in the comments said they got it working on an SM961. Weird.

In the same comments someone posted a before/after image - seems these help more with small/random writes than sustained.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 8, 2017