Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

...gently caress it, would. I'd eat all of them. Just buy twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I heart bacon posted:

Were you drunk enough that it looked that blurry in real life?

Well, I ate it, so yes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

would

RareAcumen posted:

That looks like when I make pepper steak but make the sauce too thick.

:stare: That is a big block of whatever that is.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It looks like they went to the deli counter at a supermarket and bought the whole block that usually gets sliced by the deli worker. Pretty good idea if they really love cheese.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

It looks like they went to the deli counter at a supermarket and bought the whole block that usually gets sliced by the deli worker. Pretty good idea if they really love cheese.

Not when they're paying the inflated by weight price. If they got that from the deli counter, they probably paid something like 5 times more than they could have buying it from an online supplier.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

cash crab posted:

would

She's doing the low-carb version of that sandwich.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

well i'll be

I, for one, won't be.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
While I'm waiting for my pumpkin curry to finish simmering, I'll take the time to post more awful recipes. The last batch was vaguely edible, but tonight is spaghetti and alfredo night!

"Spaghetti Sauce"
Ingredients:

1 pound of breakfast sausage, usually maple flavored
1 large green bell pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 can of beer
12oz. tomato sauce
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tbsp garlic powder

In a skillet, brown the sausage, add chopped bell pepper and cook until soft. Add ketchup, beer, tomato sauce, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and spices, simmer for about 10 minutes. Add a stick of butter to create a "cream sauce" if desired.

"Alfredo Sauce"
Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
2 packages cream cheese
1 jar packaged powder "parmesan" cheese
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. dried cilantro
1 tbsp. dried parsley

In a pot, melt the butter and cook until it just begins to form brown flakes. Add the cream cheese and evaporated milk, stir constantly for about 5 minutes while slowly adding the "parmesan". When the canned cheese is fully integrated, add in the milk, garlic powder, and herbs, then simmer until thick. Serve both sauces over pasta cooked just to the point that it starts to become a slimy starch blob.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:eyepop:

Fake edit: would

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

That's, uh, visceral

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vape the hot dog slush, cash crab.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You may not believe me, but if it's sweet as gently caress, it's probably an accurate recipe.

I don't know if it's accurate but I worked in the kitchens at a Chinese restaurant for a while and never found anything overtly sweet, unless that's just an Australian Chinese thing where there's not as much focus on sweetness because the general australian population are able to eat non sweet foods and find them palatable. Even something like sweet and sour isn't so much sweet, it's fairly well balanced between the two but doesn't smack you in the face with cloying sweetness. It may just come down to the way that the local cuisine influenced the Chinese cooks I guess.

But that's what I found with the recipe I'd used - it was almost cloyingly sweet rather than just slightly sweet. This is more what my question was in regards to, why it is such a cloyingly sweet dish.

Besides, "Asian food" isn't really a usable descriptor anymore due to the more recent surge in various styles' popularities - there's way too much variance even in Chinese provincial cuisines (Hunanese style isn't Guangdong-style isn't Szechuan style) to just lump them together with Filipino/Thai/Cambodian/Viet/Japanese/Korean and call it a day.

E: to be fair though, I may have not cooked the sauce long enough to get the caramelisation in the sugars as i felt it was thick enough when I stopped it cooking so yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm gonna nickname that drink the Fred durst

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

You are giving the Americans way too much credit with your talk of regional cuisines, like most people could identify that Szechuan is a different thing but probably not why

Also if it's Korean it's just got a buttload of sugar in it anway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm gonna nickname my dick Fred durst

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbeet posted:

You are giving the Americans way too much credit with your talk of regional cuisines, like most people could identify that Szechuan is a different thing but probably not why

Also if it's Korean it's just got a buttload of sugar in it anway

"American" food isn't all just loving hamburgers and steaks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

1000% would; I love sour meetz.

e: For everyone's consideration, Grand Fromage hosted an Italian dinner party tonight and made the most beautiful Alfredo sauce in human existence. I hate Alfredo sauce and I had a double helping; it was that good.

I would like to know more.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

McSpergin posted:

Besides, "Asian food" isn't really a usable descriptor anymore due to the more recent surge in various styles' popularities - there's way too much variance even in Chinese provincial cuisines (Hunanese style isn't Guangdong-style isn't Szechuan style) to just lump them together with Filipino/Thai/Cambodian/Viet/Japanese/Korean and call it a day.

I said "Asian food" because I have lived in three Asian countries (I would say "four" but the local government will find out that I consider Hong Kong its own thing) and find overly sweet foods to be an issue in nearly all of them, and to be fair I was talking about several countries on the same continent at once, but thanks for telling me that there are different cuisines in different countries. Never done woulda known dat!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I would like to know more.

If I remember correctly (because I was pretty drunk) we had:

Penne alfredo
Akindofpastathatidontknowthenamefor with red sauce. Was it a puttanesca? Hmmm...
Red kidney beans with cheese
Roasted asparagus
Polenta lasagna
Coffee pannacotta

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. The point is, it was delicious.

angerbeet posted:

Excuse me, I know one American who seems to understand when something is goddamn Szechuan:

Incidentally, unless it has huajiao, it's not goddamn Sichuan cuisine. "Szechuan" (quotes are not for sarcasm but to denote a difference in the nomenclature) food in the USA is generally inauthentic because for years it was impossible to bring huajiao into the USA by legal means; it was banned due to citrus blight.

Also I once had "ma po tofu" in Toronto and they put loving peas in it.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Apr 4, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i have no idea what you guys' "szechuan" sauce is but i thought it would be spicy af with lots of 花椒 flower pepper and chili oil, not sweet

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah i have no idea what you guys' "szechuan" sauce is but i thought it would be spicy af with lots of 花椒 flower pepper and chili oil, not sweet

That's how it should be. I have no idea what the sauce they were talking about on the show was.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i read somewhere that apparently it's more like the sweet plum sauce for Peking Duck. Which, okay i guess i can see how it works for chicken nuggets

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's how it should be. I have no idea what the sauce they were talking about on the show was.

The old szechuan sauce from McD's was just super sweet with a LITTLE bit of spice/heat to it. Similar to a General Tso's sauce. And it was loving delicious. Fight me about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hadn't tried before, fresh homemade alfredo is real good. Also really expensive to make in China with how much parmesan goes in it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i read somewhere that apparently it's more like the sweet plum sauce for Peking Duck. Which, okay i guess i can see how it works for chicken nuggets

Plum sauce is a really popular condiment at Chinese places in Canada, but I don't remember ever seeing it in the US.

That sounds good as poo poo for chicken nugz, but it's definitely not Sichuan! Too funny.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hadn't tried before, fresh homemade alfredo is real good. Also really expensive to make in China with how much parmesan goes in it.

Also he has a light shaped like a cat and it makes rainbows!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Zipperelli. posted:

The old szechuan sauce from McD's was just super sweet with a LITTLE bit of spice/heat to it. Similar to a General Tso's sauce. And it was loving delicious. Fight me about it.

Agreed. I too would return to that sacred time had I the technology.

Even the alien interrogator agreed that sauce was the bomb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

How do you not recognise cheese?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

twoday posted:

Speaking of flavor balancing, I made this the other day, but forgot to take a picture, so here is a stock photo:

So this is Zuurvlees (literally "sour meat"), a specialty of the province of Limburg in the Netherlands. Traditionally horse meat is used but often it is made with beef these days (I always use horse meat because it's a lot healthier than beef, and I prefer the taste.) In addition you add onions and a few slices of "ontbijtkoek" ("breakfast cookie", the brown loaf in the background of the photo, it tastes of sugar and cloves and nutmeg) to give it a spicy cake taste, then you add about a soda can's worth of apple cider vinegar, and a crazy amount of apple-molasses, and let it slow cook for 12 hours. Somehow the flavors balance out fantastically and the flavor is really rich and layered and self-complimentary (especially if you use horse meat, which has a particular somewhat strong taste). It often looks exactly like diarrhea.

I have cooked this on three separate occasions for guests without telling them beforehand what I was serving, or I would just say "zuurvlees" and give no further explanation. This also works is you're serving pigeon meat, if people ask what you are serving and say "squab," they usually won't know what that means and feel stupid for not knowing and stop asking questions. But I'm good at cooking so everyone always tries it and then says "wow twoday, this tastes amazing, I've never tried anything like it before, what is this? How did you do this?" Then I will explain in detail, but I want them to taste it without prejudice first.

This honestly sounds like a wet jerk sauce although a wet jerk usually uses scotch bonnets. This is probably more similar to one of the strains of American BBQ that uses a non-tomato based sauce. What you're describing would be in no way out of place at a southern style cookout in most of America. Obviously using apple molasses isn't common here because we don't tend to have that around, we do use similar things to make our BBQ and slow cooker sauces but usually with tomatoes or blackstrap (or apple butter, coca cola and grape jam if you wanna get crazy).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime Minister of New Zealand:

That is tinned spaghetti and pineapple. He posted these on Facebook because he was proud to have made dinner for his family.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm sure his wife is just inches out of view of each of these pictures, shaking her head in solemn disapproval.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ramos posted:

I'm sure his wife is just inches out of view of each of these pictures, shaking her head in solemn disapproval calling the divorce lawyer.

FTFY.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Now there are blue Doritos. Except they look green to me...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The McDonalds sauce was considered a plum sauce but I'd guess it was plum flavoring with another fruit-thing doing the heavy lifting. I don't think anyone bothered to photograph the Mulan ingredient list.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's a typical high fructose corn syrup/artificial flavoring sauce, just like all the others

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

It's a typical high fructose corn syrup/artificial flavoring sauce, just like all the others

Well, yeah, but I meant besides the obvious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I had to eat one or the other... I'd need some time to think.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292074824691

Mulan Szechuan Sauce can be yours for only $97k

auction's fake & dead :(

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Apr 4, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you put some congealed spaetzle on that first one it looks a lot like the lunch i had at work yesterday.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Railing Kill posted:

I know some people who put a little bit of brown sugar in tomato sauce to cut down on the acidity. I don't, but I could see doing it more for that than for flavor. But this is... a bit much. It's loving dessert spaghetti. Still, it's better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1X2FBf7hw&t=192s

Ketchup + butter = :psyduck:

Somewhere, every Italian grandma is crying.

i made a shriek like a terrified marmoset at this video

why haven't these people been killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Now there are blue Doritos. Except they look green to me...

As a colorblind person this article is very confusing. The chips and her tongue both look extremely green to me, and the only blue thing is the bag.

Not an expert but they don't look like papa smurf's anything to me.