Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Habibi posted:

For any non-Russian speakers, FYI, it might be worth your time to find someone who does understand it and have them do a running translation, because that poo poo was at least as entertaining as anything on the screen. My general view of American play-by-play - in any sport - is that I'd rather watch the game/match on mute, except then I wouldn't be able to hear the sound of play itself.

But I've seen games where I'd have preferred just listening to these guys relate it, instead.

If you have a sound bar or surround sound system, muting just the center channel should nix the announcer audio but leave the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/848984576282296320

:rip:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

quote:

The NHL will not participate in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, deciding to make the announcement now so it doesn’t overshadow the playoffs, Sportsnet has learned.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-will-not-participate-2018-pyeongchang-olympic-games/

WEEELLLLPPPP

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
ban gary bettman

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Enjoy your free wins against a Capitals roster without Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Orlov, and Johansson at the least during the Olympics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Welp that pretty much confirms another massive lockout the next time the CBA is due for a refresh.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/848985459589914624

This is going to be a giant headache for the league. A bunch of stars are going to defect, and what will the league do? Fine them? Suspend them?

This is going to be bad.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gently caress the NHL, seriously? olympic hockey loving rules

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
gently caress the NHL and the owners

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Bettman must have a megaboner at the idea of using the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the next lockout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Bettman must have a megaboner at the idea of using the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the next lockout.

Someone should check his hands for burns, try to verify if he was high fiving satan while no one was looking.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm boycotting the NHL next olympics unless I change my mind and decide I don't care about this!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Haha the IOC is never letting them back in. The NHL needs Olympic exposure way more than the IOC needs NHL players.

The next Olympics are in Beijing. The IOC isn't stupid, they know what the Chinese market means? Why would they do any favours to an organization that burned them over ~$14M in insurance costs?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bettman is such a miserable prick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This seems like a bad idea.

I hope Karlsson goes and plays and the Sens miss the playoffs by two points so Melnyk can cry about the Olympics still finding a way to screw him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

League conspiracy to protect Crosby's legacy against these new young upstarts.

But seriously gently caress Bettman, I hope they all go anyway because what's he gonna do about it.

And I strongly suspect this was pushed hardest by Melnyk and Jacobs so an extra "mega-gently caress-you" to those old bastards, too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thufir posted:

gently caress Bettman. gently caress the owners more.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
People who own sports teams are garbage people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The NHL is so loving stupid

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I wish the most competitive hockey league in the world wasn't run by a bunch of boobs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

People who own sports teams are garbage people.

"we love the fans thank you for being loyal and supporting your favorite team!! in appreciation the first 10,000 of you to show up to a game can get this awesome sponsored towel!!"

"oh you want to see these athletes compete around the world? well gently caress off you cretins"

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gotta love how they're doing the games in China followed immediately by this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

iospace posted:

gently caress Bettman. gently caress the owners more.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The NHL is so loving stupid

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Bettman is such a miserable prick.

sleep with the vicious posted:

gently caress the NHL and the owners

Jamwad Hilder posted:

gently caress the NHL, seriously? olympic hockey loving rules

:yeah:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Gotta love how they're doing the games in China followed immediately by this.

Yeah, that announcement was the writing on the wall for me. It was an obvious backup plan for breaking into the Chinese market if the Olympics didn't work. It's not gonna draw any meaningful interest though. Pro sports teams showing up to play an exhibition game somewhere else is a novelty at best. The Olympics legitimizes anything and will ensure serious attention.

The NHL probably killed any real efforts into making inroads into China over $14M. That seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Oh well, the Canada-Sweden snoozefest will likely go down as the last NHL Olympic game ever. What a disappointing ending.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, that announcement was the writing on the wall for me. It was an obvious backup plan for breaking into the Chinese market if the Olympics didn't work. It's not gonna draw any meaningful interest though. Pro sports teams showing up to play an exhibition game somewhere else is a novelty at best. The Olympics legitimizes anything and will ensure serious attention.

The NHL probably killed any real efforts into making inroads into China over $14M. That seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Oh well, the Canada-Sweden snoozefest will likely go down as the last NHL Olympic game ever. What a disappointing ending.

Don't worry I'm sure the players will get it back next lockout in exchange for complete wage slavery 24/7 work hours and 90% of all proceeds generated going directly to the owners

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't really the insurance, that was just what they were claiming when they knew the IOC wouldn't pay.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Who will the US and Canada send then? NCAA and major junior players not under NHL contract?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't worry I'm sure the players will get it back next lockout in exchange for complete wage slavery 24/7 work hours and 90% of all proceeds generated going directly to the owners

It's not up to the NHL to decide if it wants back, it's entirely the IOC's decision and why would they want the NHL back? The league can dangle Olympic participation over the players as much as they want, but they've thrown that trump card away. The IOC has made its stance quite clear about 2022, they won't back down. Just about the only people who could change that would be the Chinese government insisting on NHL players, and seriously why would they do that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

i am the bird posted:

Who will the US and Canada send then? NCAA and major junior players not under NHL contract?

probably AHL players without an NHL contract.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

iospace posted:

Both of these, I'd imagine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

"STARTING AT DEFENCE FOR TEAM USA NUMBER FOUR

MAAAATTTTTTT

GILLLLLLRRROOOOYYYYY"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Your 2018 team Canada captain, Tom Kostopoulos

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It's the shittiest loving plan in the history of civilization.

I remember at one point in the 2000's they scheduled games in Puerto Rico because MLB was doing that... business with the Expos, and that's usually what I think of with Bettman and co's "international strategy".

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Just about the only people who could change that would be the Chinese government insisting on NHL players, and seriously why would they do that?

More revenue in theory except nobody in China gives a gently caress about hockey so yeah

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

iospace posted:

Oh, duh. I just lumped AHL in with the NHL for some dumb reason.

Well, I'm excited to see the US ice its best roster in years.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 3, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

i am the bird posted:

There are also plenty of mediocre American and Canadian players in the KHL and other European leagues. Like Barry Brust and Nigel Dawes which are totally not names I just made up.

edit: lol Dawes got Kazak citizenship so he could play for them at Worlds so I guess he is out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Everyone should just send their world juniors team.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really enjoy how they can't even hide their contempt in that announcement.

And the NHLPA has now publicly confirmed that it has no interest or intention of being extorted.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

There are also plenty of mediocre American and Canadian players in the KHL and other European leagues. Like Barry Brust and Nigel Dawes which are totally not names I just made up.

Yeah, with very few exceptions the team will be entirely these guys.

AHLers without NHL contracts are not good enough to play for a team that can raid the ranks of Canadians, or even Americans, playing in Europe.

If no NHLers go (we know a handful of Russians will, but I'm honestly very doubtful other owners will break ranks), Team Canada's European contingent will still be a medal threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
RIP: The Streak 1998—2014

• Locked thread