Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Covok posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh dear God, this is too rich. If there likely wasn't common law making this reversible in civil court, I might pull the same poo poo on a bunch of hapless, rapid, R&M fans. Maybe not 97K, though. Selling it for $100 would probably sell.

Edit: On topic, anyone found it weird how Beth said Jerry was going to be leaving. Sounded strangely cryptic. Might just be me.

There is approximately a 0% chance any bids over $30 are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Affi posted:

Where can I loving watch this episode!

Type it into youtube. That's how I saw it. It's probably :filez: so I can't link it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Covok posted:

That poo poo would be rancid by now. Like, your poo poo would be the same color and consistency as the sauce, except you'd produce 5x the amount.

Wait, I think I just figured out how to mass produce Szechuan sauce.

If that stuff is all full of sugar and tart (lowish Ph) like I assume it is, it should keep for a long time. I'm not going to be the guinea pig that tastes it, though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's another clue that the memory was totally made up: Rick never even lived in that house, he set the fake memory in a house he saw on TV:

It's Walter White's house from Breaking Bad

Haha, I knew something felt fake and weird about the house scene shot as soon as I saw it. Good catch!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292074824691

Mulan Szechuan Sauce can be yours for only $97k

All of the images he used in that auction are pure gold.

Actually glad for the above pic in particular. I can make a template out of it, print it out and slap it over a packet of McDonald's Barbecue sauce and use it as a prop for my WIP Rick cosplay.

Edit: holy :lol: the seller is named "definitelynotdanharmon." Will be curious to see what comes of this when the auction ends.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 3, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"Ah, Summer.. First race war, huh?"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Covok posted:

An important thing to remember about the series is that Rick is more about telling jokes and personal anecdotes from the writers personal lives than being a complex character and that the series is more about being funny with dark, nihilistic humor than telling a complex story. Perhaps its all to circle back to the nihilistic themes of the show, but there really isn't a point to it and trying to find big meaning and patterns in it is a bit of a wasted effort: you're better off just enjoying it while it lasts.

Telling fans that is equally wasted effort. But good job watching Rick and Morty correctly, I guess.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Baronjutter posted:

I think for some people who grew up in families like that the show might hit a little too close to home? Some people just don't like shows about horrible people. I know people who hated breaking bad because walter was an evil criminal and they hated him too much to watch the show. Or people hate always sunny or curb your enthusiasm or even seinfeld because the main cast are all awful awful people.

I could understand that theory. I couldn't watch Nip/Tuck for the same reason after watching 1. It was just a group of people making the worst decisions possible in any given situation. Similarly with The Walking Dead but that could be said about most zombie stuff for me.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Megaspel posted:

All these cool background details are very cool and interesting. Love the Breaking Bad reference.

This is all very cool, thanks for posting them. I always thought it would be super difficult to design 3D transformer type stuff. Is it quite a struggle to think, or easier than you might guess?

Most artists don't want do it. Its the only reason I can stay employed. I would say its very "Mike Rowe, find a job that no one wants to do and then do it" It made my brain hurt a quite a bit at first to design robot animations, and things that are mechanical that animate. but then I began to get better at it. and there are lots of ways to cheat, as well as make it easier for yourself. I specialize in Props and Backgrounds so doing (animation style) robots, house interiors, spaceships/scifi interiors and other complicated perspective work is my thing. I am by no means a master at it. but it is the career path I have chosen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Typical posted:

Most artists don't want do it. Its the only reason I can stay employed. I would say its very "Mike Rowe, find a job that no one wants to do and then do it" It made my brain hurt a quite a bit at first to design robot animations, and things that are mechanical that animate. but then I began to get better at it. and there are lots of ways to cheat, as well as make it easier for yourself. I specialize in Props and Backgrounds so doing (animation style) robots, house interiors, spaceships/scifi interiors and other complicated perspective work is my thing. I am by no means a master at it. but it is the career path I have chosen.

It's a thing that I notice is always done really well in the show so good job, it's not some terrible thing no one appreciates.

So when animating all this stuff how much is CG and how much is hand-drawn?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
In terms of animation, this show deffo stands out from the rest at the very least so...GJ is all I can say. I really appreciate how fluid it is.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Typical posted:

There's a joke in here about artists being afraid of even imagining engineering-related stuff.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Affi posted:

Where can I loving watch this episode!

Nevermind

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Covok posted:

Edit: On topic, anyone found it weird how Beth said Jerry was going to be leaving. Sounded strangely cryptic. Might just be me.

She said he was going to spend some time divorced. It wasn't cryptic, it was funny and dark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zaphod42 posted:

She said he was going to spend some time divorced. It wasn't cryptic, it was funny and dark.

I think "time-divorced" is a name of a place jerry is going, or maybe it's going to be the character's new actual name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

If I had to guess from the look of it its mostly hand-drawn (although almost assuredly computer assisted animation) and the CG is probably just used to get an idea of perspective, but I could be totally wrong.

That's actually something I wanted to ask Typical, were those robot CG renders used for the actual show footage or were those like study images for perspective?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

People are bidding on it :aaaaa:

I thought he posted it at 97k as a goof. But poeple are actually bidding? This has to be performance art or something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Hey teriyaki isn't Chinese!!!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Covok posted:

It was a little strange how we didn't see Jerry actually leave. Seems to me it would be more darkly comedic if we saw him bawling his eyes out or slinking away in a taxi with a suitcase. No way she's got him tied up in the attic or something, right?

Honestly, though, it is equally likely that it was that final and offscreen as a sign to the watcher that Jerry is just loving gone from the series and may never be seen again. LIke if they got sick of writing for him or whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want the pickle rick episode now. I can't wait until the summer.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I want the pickle rick episode now. I can't wait until the summer.

☝️

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That breaking bad catch is really good. Here's what I don't get, why is this morty special, when the rest of the family isn't? Does Rick just not know about his cronenberg hunger games family, or does he not care?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nevvy Z posted:

That breaking bad catch is really good. Here's what I don't get, why is this morty special, when the rest of the family isn't? Does Rick just not know about his cronenberg hunger games family, or does he not care?

Rick totally bailed on them, so I'd go on the "doesn't care" side of things. Just another dimension he's trashed; keep on keepin on.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Lol, the auction is just for a photograph.

I guess it is real since the proceeds are going to charity.

quote:

You are bidding on an authentic autographed photograph of that Mmmulan McMcMcNugget sauce, printed shoddily on plain paper and sent in an ordinary USPS stamped envelope. You will also receive a complimentary sense of generalized bamboozlement for having the poor judgment to spend good money on this particular auction.

That's my series arc!

#NineMoreSeasons
On Apr-03-17 at 00:43:07 PDT, seller added the following information:
P.S...

There may or may not be other things that happen to you because you win this auction.

:tinfoil:

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's a thing that I notice is always done really well in the show so good job, it's not some terrible thing no one appreciates.

vehicles are hand drawn (on a computer) but we use the 3d model as a guide. and then we trace over it and animate on top of it. sort of like how they did back in the days of 101 Dalmatians, except with maya models and and cintiqs instead of paper cars and film.

Just imagine this except with canadian 20 something's posing and taking pictures of Jerry's Car, and then tracing it. And then I'm over in the corner furiously sculpting the next model and screaming at maya.

Zaphod42 posted:

If I had to guess from the look of it its mostly hand-drawn (although almost assuredly computer assisted animation) and the CG is probably just used to get an idea of perspective, but I could be totally wrong.

That's actually something I wanted to ask Typical, were those robot CG renders used for the actual show footage or were those like study images for perspective?

and yes alot of times the model is just simply for reference. but only if the prop is especially hard to draw. like obviously i wouldn't just waste my time 3d modeling a milk cartoon. but spaceships on the other hand...

There are many 3d models i want to show you this season but ya'll will have to wait.

3D is not a very big part of the show, in each episode less than 10 seconds usually, but it helps a lot to work this way and the payoff is that the show never looks flat.

Typical fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 3, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rexides posted:

Telling fans that is equally wasted effort. But good job watching Rick and Morty correctly, I guess.

Yep, as evidenced by this new thread already. It seems that the entire point of this new episode was them telling the fans to stop looking so deep into this. In fact, I wonder how much of the direction the show is apparently going in was from them reading all the fan theories and groaning? Yes there are layers to the show but it's mostly meant to be fun, funny, dark, nihilistic, etc and I'm more than happy that they're apparently sticking to what works rather than going balls deep into serialization.

I'm not trying to sound insulting or :smug: at all but I'm under the impression that for a lot of R&M fans, this is the first time they've watched a show that is deeper and with stronger characters than, say, Futurama or *insert typical adult animated show here*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Some joyless monster has ruined our fun, and presumably cheated a charity out of $100k, auction has been removed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm not trying to sound insulting or :smug: at all but I'm under the impression that for a lot of R&M fans, this is the first time they've watched a show that is deeper and with stronger characters than, say, Futurama or *insert typical adult animated show here*

This could be interpreted as poo poo-talking Futurama, and I can't imagine anybody would be that silly and wrong. You might want to reword it. :D

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Typical posted:

I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT. GOOD JOB.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

This could be interpreted as poo poo-talking Futurama, and I can't imagine anybody would be that silly and wrong. You might want to reword it. :D

No no, I do love Futurama, and it even does have moments of strong character writing, but in general they're mostly gag-vehicles and there are definitely more layers and depth to Rick and Morty, just not enough to obsess over it to the insane degree that the fanbase tends to do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

No no, I do love Futurama, and it even does have moments of strong character writing, but in general they're mostly gag-vehicles and there are definitely more layers and depth to Rick and Morty, just not enough to obsess over it to the insane degree that fanbase(s) tends to do.

Changed this because I feel what you're referring to is more a symptom of fan culture than anything else.

Right now, throwing around fan theories is really in. Some of this has to do with the fact that people always did this, but usually just with friends close by so it's really just a normal activity taken to the internet and scaled up. Some of this is because of increased community engagement. I remember when some early internet shows would praise fans for figuring it out (while simentously re-writing things). Some of it is probably just human nature, especially when you consider how over-analytical cartoon fans tend to be.

It is funny, actually. I swear, like a day before this new episode aired, I saw a video titled "Rick's Secret - He's Not a Genius" where they tried to claimed those whatever macguffins from the pilot are his trick or something. I just kind of groaned. Guess I wasn't alone.

Also, is there a term in fiction for a protagonist who is a dickbag? Like, I know about "anti-hero", but Rick doesn't do enough good things to qualify.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

Morty being extraordinarily dumb is an idea that Rick perpetuates, but the show has never actually backed that up in any other way.

Beth and Jerry both allude to him being dumb as hell and that being a core character trait from before Rick in the pilot.

I think the writers decided to abandon that idea though. Morty's clearly not supposed to read as stupid any more.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Covok posted:

Changed this because I feel what you're referring to is more a symptom of fan culture than anything else.

Right now, throwing around fan theories is really in. Some of this has to do with the fact that people always did this, but usually just with friends close by so it's really just a normal activity taken to the internet and scaled up. Some of this is because of increased community engagement. I remember when some early internet shows would praise fans for figuring it out (while simentously re-writing things). Some of it is probably just human nature, especially when you consider how over-analytical cartoon fans tend to be.

It is funny, actually. I swear, like a day before this new episode aired, I saw a video titled "Rick's Secret - He's Not a Genius" where they tried to claimed those whatever macguffins from the pilot are his trick or something. I just kind of groaned. Guess I wasn't alone.

Also, is there a term in fiction for a protagonist who is a dickbag? Like, I know about "anti-hero", but Rick doesn't do enough good things to qualify.

"Villain Protagonist"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he has saved the Earth, and other worlds, several times. Just not sure if that's more than the number of worlds he's destroyed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Morty is in high school, but his math class (that he's struggling with) is at a first grade level.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's me, the guy who contract models drawover stand-in 3d models for Rick and Morty.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 4, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Beth and Jerry both allude to him being dumb as hell and that being a core character trait from before Rick in the pilot.

I think the writers decided to abandon that idea though. Morty's clearly not supposed to read as stupid any more.

Remember Beth saying to Jerry "I'm the reason our children are only half stupid!".
Both Summer and Morty are semi-stupid because Jerry is their Father.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

mutata posted:

It's me, the guy who contract models drawover stand-in 3d models for Rick and Morty.

Guys please say Hello to Mutata, he is a goon I found in the daily drawings thread to help me with the more complicated models. His work is A+ and we have used him to do all kinds of 3D stand in stuff. We split up this season about 50/50 between the two of us. Though he is by far the superior 3D guy. I usually just give him 1 sketch of a spaceship or something and he turns around a complete model in just a few days.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Some joyless monster has ruined our fun, and presumably cheated a charity out of $100k, auction has been removed.

If I recall correctly eBay actually has a rule against selling pictures of stuff, because people used to sell a picture of something like a Wii for a grand when it was the hot Christmas item and then refuse to issue a refund because technically they delivered what they were selling, even if the excited buyer didn't notice what it really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Zaphod42 posted:

People are bidding on it :aaaaa:

I thought he posted it at 97k as a goof. But poeple are actually bidding? This has to be performance art or something.

The bids are either jokes or the mafia laundering money