Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

internet inc posted:

What's a good pickup truck with full size rear seats that can be had for about $5000 and last a couple of years with appropriate maintenance? Short commutes, towing at most 4-5000 pounds, don't need a huge bed. I don't expect to find something super reliable but at least cheap parts/labor, I guess.

The huge bed part is the biggest issue. If you don't mind parking a land yacht-length albatross all the time you can find some Grandpa's old 2wd Ford Crew or Chevy/GMC 3+3(late 80's to mid 90's) for a couple grand all day on Craigslist because no one wants to drive or park them. If you want something shorter take a look at an early 00's Ford SuperCrew. The transmissions are garbage and the 5.4L chucks spark plugs, but they can be had for around 5K and the cab is immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What about the Explorer Sportrack or Chevy Avalanche/Escalade EXT? I'm pretty sure the Explorer Sportrack was a pile of garbage in every other way but it sure is a "truck" with useful back seats.

Are you actually using the bed to carry dead fish or something? If you're just towing and occasionally carrying a slightly oversized item I think a Crown Vic would probably do it too.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
A SportTrack will struggle mightily to tow 5K lbs. and will probably puke up it's transmission in short order. A Crown Vic's tow capacity is 1500lbs. so that's not gonna fly.

That said, if the OP doesn't need a discreet bed I would 100% look at a 90's Chevy Suburban. They are extremely depreciated, tow amazingly, and are immense inside.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

That said, if the OP doesn't need a discreet bed I would 100% look at a 90's Chevy Suburban. They are extremely depreciated, tow amazingly, and are immense inside.
I got an 01 2500 for 5 grand so he can probably look at some early 00s as well.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 2, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

internet inc posted:

That's what I thought at first but it looks like I can find mid 2000's Dakotas and Frontiers (and some F150s) at that price. I don't know if their rear seats qualify as full sized but they look big enough to accommodate baby car seats/convertible car seats. I would have preferred seating comparable to modern F150s Supercrew (the big 4-door) because it was a pain to get baby seats in and out of a Supercab but my budget is limiting so I'll have to settle for smaller, I guess.

Basically, off the top of your head, what early-to-mid 2000s trucks offered roomy/full size rear seating?

Depending on what you need the bed for (ie if you don't really need the bed at all), a BoF full size van like the E-Series might be worthwhile. They're cheap.

Edit: I missed the fact that I got beaten on the Suburban idea, mine is basically the same concept but cheaper.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

goku chewbacca posted:

LOL. Do you think there are forums where people gush about and accessorize their Kenmore Hi-Efficiency Front Load Steam Washer with matching pedestal base that they modded to spin dry their clothes at twice the RPMs?

LOL if you think there isn't.

This is the internet.

And they're probably loving those washing machines too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah of all things kitchen appliances are deeply fetishized.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Token_of_My_Extreme

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I wanted to put flame stickers on our kitchenaid but my girlfriend said no

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If your dishwasher isn't a bosch, then I don't wanna talk to you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Not gonna lie: I want to read that article.

That Kitchenaid probably has more 'real'* engineering than a modern car.

*real=machined bit of metal, as opposed to injection moulded plastic.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nm posted:

To be fair, a good dishwasher is fairly lifechanging. If if actually cleans dishes as opposed to a light sanitize/rinse, you shave minutes off bullshit every day. My current dishwasher does the latter and leaves a bunch of easily cleanable food :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Michael Scott posted:

To be fair, a good dishwasher is fairly lifechanging. If if actually cleans dishes as opposed to a light sanitize/rinse, you shave minutes off bullshit every day. My current dishwasher does the latter and leaves a bunch of easily cleanable food :(

I didn't have a dishwasher for the last 3 years and when I moved to a place with one, yeah, it's pretty nice to have a good one, but you want life changing? That's the garbage disposal. It's like a while new world.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What does a garbage disposal do again? I just throw food waste in the trash.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's the thing with the blades in the sink drain that chops up bits of food so they just go away.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spog posted:

Not gonna lie: I want to read that article.

That Kitchenaid probably has more 'real'* engineering than a modern car.

*real=machined bit of metal, as opposed to injection moulded plastic.

have you like, ever seen a car

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have you like, ever seen a car

Have you seen a Kitchenaid mixer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mco77TK94GU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Well there's an hour of my life gone, thanks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Neat stuff but it's an order of magnitude less complex than say, a traditional torque converter automatic transmission.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

nm posted:

We just got a bosch, it's not that special. Really loving quiet though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

We just got a bosch, it's not that special. Really loving quiet though.

Apparently Bosch makes the most reliable dishwasher nowadays.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well that's great it all you want is

Thermopyle posted:

Apparently Bosch makes the most reliable dishwasher nowadays.

Well that's great if all you want is an appliance to get you from dirty to clean but as an enthusiast I need a bit more than reliability to get excited about it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So are there any cars that sit high, I'd rather not do an SUV.

Looking at about at 15k Canadian budget.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't know what the Canadian market is like but have you considered a Subaru Crosstrek or Outback? Both are lifted versions of a car. A CUV like a CX-3 or HR-V might be more of what you're looking for but I'm guessing they're out of your budget though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

So are there any cars that sit high, I'd rather not do an SUV.

Looking at about at 15k Canadian budget.

Sitting high and not an SUV sounds like a minivan. '14 or '15 Odyssey will fix you right up.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

CloFan posted:

I've got a 2004 Frontier. The back seats will not comfortably fit a full sized adult. It'll fit carseats and kids no problem, but anyone over like 5ft will be pretty cramped. Otherwise, I love the truck-- my one complaint is the cabin space. I wish I had gotten a king cab, because as-is the back seats are fairly useless.

Here's my truck :) : http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f102/red-baron-133841/

gently caress the haters; nice truck.

The problem is that in both our cars the baby cradle thing and the 3-in-1 car seat for the toddler actually take up more room than a full size adult. My 6'2'' brother can sit behind me and I still have a reasonable driving position in both my '06 Impreza and my girlfriend's '07 Civic. When the kids' seats are in though we have to sit with our knees up against the dash and I don't think that's very safe.

Also, Google tells me a Frontier king cab has suicide doors and looks much smaller than your truck. Am I missing something?

Unload My Head posted:

The huge bed part is the biggest issue. If you don't mind parking a land yacht-length albatross all the time you can find some Grandpa's old 2wd Ford Crew or Chevy/GMC 3+3(late 80's to mid 90's) for a couple grand all day on Craigslist because no one wants to drive or park them. If you want something shorter take a look at an early 00's Ford SuperCrew. The transmissions are garbage and the 5.4L chucks spark plugs, but they can be had for around 5K and the cab is immense.

I forgot to mention I'm in northern-ish Canada (though I meant $5k USD). Trucks that old will be rusted to poo poo, I'm pretty sure. I know exactly the kind of truck you mean but none turn up in my searches so I assume they've all died of old age. I'll keep an eye out for the SuperCrews, though!

Unload My Head posted:

A SportTrack will struggle mightily to tow 5K lbs. and will probably puke up it's transmission in short order. A Crown Vic's tow capacity is 1500lbs. so that's not gonna fly.

I have to haul construction materials for the next couple of years as we do home renovation. You can carry lumber in a car but sheets of plywood, sheet rock, etc. won't do. I won't be carrying dead fish around but I wanted the bed space to also allow me to carry my dogs around when I have the kids in the back. What I'm saying is this Suburban idea is great. Or any kind of vehicle with 3-row seating that can still tow/carry junk.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I got an 01 2500 for 5 grand so he can probably look at some early 00s as well.

:getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depending on what you need the bed for (ie if you don't really need the bed at all), a BoF full size van like the E-Series might be worthwhile. They're cheap.

Edit: I missed the fact that I got beaten on the Suburban idea, mine is basically the same concept but cheaper.

This is also great but I'll need to convince my girlfriend that we have to look like sexual predators for a few years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

internet inc posted:

This is also great but I'll need to convince my girlfriend that we have to look like sexual predators for a few years.

just airbrush a wizard mural over the "free candy" sign and you're good to go

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

internet inc posted:

Also, Google tells me a Frontier king cab has suicide doors and looks much smaller than your truck. Am I missing something?

Nope, that sounds right. It would have given me more room in the cab, and more room for tools/whatever in the back rather than having the seats taking up space, and anyone in the jumpseats could sit sideways and have more legroom. For you, the Crew Cab would be better as it can hold a carseat in the back. No idea if the carseat would push you up quite a bit in the front seats, though.

Good luck with your creeper van!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

internet inc posted:

I have to haul construction materials for the next couple of years as we do home renovation. You can carry lumber in a car but sheets of plywood, sheet rock, etc. won't do. I won't be carrying dead fish around but I wanted the bed space to also allow me to carry my dogs around when I have the kids in the back. What I'm saying is this Suburban idea is great. Or any kind of vehicle with 3-row seating that can still tow/carry junk.

FWIW, I spent a decade building homes and I still flip houses while doing a lot of the work myself. I almost exclusively have the lumberyard/Lowes/Home Depot deliver all that poo poo. I do drive an F-150, but I could easily do the job out of a smaller vehicle. I often think about getting one of those small Ford Transit vans as that'd be a lot more practical.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I spent a decade building homes and I still flip houses while doing a lot of the work myself. I almost exclusively have the lumberyard/Lowes/Home Depot deliver all that poo poo. I do drive an F-150, but I could easily do the job out of a smaller vehicle. I often think about getting one of those small Ford Transit vans as that'd be a lot more practical.

Yeah, you're right. The more I think about it the more I tend towards that idea of having everything delivered and opening up my car/truck selection a bit. I just hate having to pay $50 to have grass delivered, $50 to have gravel delivered, borrowing a truck to carry old asphalt to the ecocenter, waiting for the delivery of that 1 single sheet of plywood you forgot, etc. I'm sure if you add up all these delivery fees you still come up short of the cost of owning a truck, but it's still annoying.

It's also why I like the idea of the Suburban. 1 row for the adults, 1 row for the kids, 1 row for the dogs, and a boot for dry materials or luggage. With the added possibility of occasionally towing the bigger/dirtier stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

internet inc posted:

Yeah, you're right. The more I think about it the more I tend towards that idea of having everything delivered and opening up my car/truck selection a bit. I just hate having to pay $50 to have grass delivered, $50 to have gravel delivered, borrowing a truck to carry old asphalt to the ecocenter, waiting for the delivery of that 1 single sheet of plywood you forgot, etc. I'm sure if you add up all these delivery fees you still come up short of the cost of owning a truck, but it's still annoying.

It's also why I like the idea of the Suburban. 1 row for the adults, 1 row for the kids, 1 row for the dogs, and a boot for dry materials or luggage. With the added possibility of occasionally towing the bigger/dirtier stuff.

Another idea is just getting a small trailer for a few hundred bucks for those off times you need to go pick up a couple of things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo just do the math between renting a truck on those days and getting the stuff delivered

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver test several cars that come up a lot in this thread head-to-head:

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT RS vs. 2017 Honda Civic Sport, 2017 Mazda 3 Touring 2.5, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Edition

The Honda wins, even though they hate its styling.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Isn't this the first year that CR won't recommend the civic due to reliability issues?

nm fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 5, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nm posted:

Isn't this the first year that CR won't recommend the civic due to reliability issues?

They already did that for the 2012 Civic I thought, which was a real piece of poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

They already did that for the 2012 Civic I thought, which was a real piece of poo poo.

I think that may have just been because it sucked, but it was still reliable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

I learned several decades ago to get car advice from CD rather than CR, and have never regretted it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I learned several decades ago to get car advice from CD rather than CR, and have never regretted it.

Consumer reports has the most accurate reliability ratings. (CD doesn't even do it.)
Also, CR's auto people are AI as gently caress, they just write to their audience. CD can't get BMW's nuts out of their mouths anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

Consumer reports has the most accurate reliability ratings. (CD doesn't even do it.)
Also, CR's auto people are AI as gently caress, they just write to their audience. CD can't get BMW's nuts out of their mouths anyhow.

CR's reliability ratings are nowhere near as accurate as they would like you to think. The statistical value of many of their distinctions is pretty dubious. There simply aren't enough cars of most make/model/year combinations to make valid comparisons to others with the kind of accuracy they claim.

Their ratings also tend to overvalue comparative differences at the expense of absolute. The failure rate of alternators on 2014 Fords may be higher than those on Hondas, say, but the rate is sufficiently low in either case that it makes no practical difference.

I'm not saying they're useless, just that they shouldn't be taken overly seriously. There's lots of problems with their ratings they gloss over out of self-interest.