Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair turning down a sausage sizzle is pretty much up there with villainous moustache twirling and cackling while riding a hot air balloon.

Maybe Trumpbull got scared off after everyone laughed at Shorten not knowing how to eat one properly.

"Oh god there won't be any silver service, what will I do?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

AgentF posted:

"People are criticising Turnbull for turning down a sausage sizzle? I gotta get myself to a barbeque immediately! They'll see who the real Australian is!"

It's the stupid - manufactured - :australia: fail combined with Abbott doing his thing that I love. IDGAF if he wants a snag or not but they've turned a non event into the shittest squabble and it perfectly encapsulates auspol.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not just auspol.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

"Do you want onions, Tony?"

*triggered*

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Rumblings about the EBA system and One Nation fraud? Nah, I think I'll post about loving sausage sizzles :goonsay:

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Lets dredge up another bit of old politics.
Has everyone forgotten ole Howard jogging along and then Shorten attempting that a long while back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ora Tzo posted:

Has everyone forgotten ole Howard jogging along and then Shorten attempting that a long while back.

Shorten started taking jogging more seriously and lost a bunch of weight.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Rumblings about the EBA system and One Nation fraud? Nah, I think I'll post about loving sausage sizzles :goonsay:

Until Pauline calls it fake news there's not much more to say on Con Nation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sausage sizzles are the Real Deal that bind our nation together.

You don't honor that delicious tradition and Immortan Joe and his War Boys will be harpooning your smart car off the highway before you know it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Sausage sizzles are the Real Deal that bind our nation together.

You don't honor that delicious tradition and Immortan Joe and his War Boys will be harpooning your smart car off the highway before you know it.

as an alternative, you're fat

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As a humourless vegan I...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

as an alternative, you're fat

Lol if you don't know what exercise is.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

diet is considerably more important than exercise when it comes to shedding weight my man

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

diet is considerably more important than exercise when it comes to shedding weight my man

*eats 10 jenny craig meals in a row on the couch*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

:getin::siren:
Queensland Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls has flatly denied claims of a secret deal between the Liberal National Party and One Nation.

The ABC's Four Corners program on Monday night aired what it said was a recording of Pauline Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby saying he'd struck a deal with Mr Nicholls' chief of staff for the two conservative parties to rein in attacks on each other.

"I have an agreement with the Liberal National Party, I've made a commitment to them ... that we will not go out there and slag them off for the sake of slagging them off," Mr Ashby said during the secretly recorded phone hook-up.

"But I reminded him that if he doesn't (honour) the agreement, we'll have plenty of ammunition on their candidates, which pulled his head in."

But Mr Nicholls took to Twitter after the program to label the claims as "absolute crap".

In a statement to AAP Mr Nicholls said his chief of staff had no dealings with Mr Ashby.

"My chief of staff has never met and doesn't even know James Ashby," he said.

"As I have said consistently the LNP will not be entering into a coalition with One Nation and there are no deals to be done."

WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Someone is a lying rear end in a top hat

Its Nicholls

it turns out Mr Ashby was referring to Mr Nicholls' senior policy advisor, Peter Coulson, rather than the LNP leader's chief of staff, Gerard Benedet.

In an extended excerpt of the recorded phone hook-up, Mr Ashby said: "I'm asking you not to go slagging off the Liberal National Party. Peter Coulson rang me this morning and reminded me of our agreement because he said to me we have been very kind to you and not slagged you off".

"But I also kindly reminded him if they choose to change that agreement we have plenty of ammunition on their candidates as well which pulled his head in a little bit," Mr Ashby said.

Mr Nicholls has repeatedly said there are "no deals to be done" with One Nation, however his office has declined to comment on the latest development.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Goon Project: Get Mark Latham banned from facebook.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Goon Project: Get Mark Latham banned from facebook.

Goon project? That would take one person and a bored afternoon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Arguably at his current rate we could just kick back with democracy sausages and alcoholic beverages and just let him self destruct away.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Ora Tzo posted:

gently caress that, Howard throwing down a couple of Right Arm Very Ordinary deliveries trumps all of that - https://youtu.be/0o8by05rtMY

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if the latter has a greater impact on australian politics than the former two

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if the latter has a greater impact on australian politics than the former two

I unironically believe you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zenithe posted:

you rang

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Happy morning. Good news! Bolt lost a defamation case

quote:

Mr Newhouse sued over an opinion piece written by Bolt on July 10, 2014, which carried the headline "Fearmongers' hateful fraud" in The Herald Sun.

It was also published in The Daily Telegraph, The Courier Mail and The Advertiser.

In it, Bolt claimed Mr Newhouse was part of the "refugee lobby", which, he said, had fraudulently asserted that certain Sri Lankan people who had arrived by boat in Australia were genuine asylum seekers.

Bolt wrote that 41 Sri Lankan asylum seekers had recently been forcibly returned by the Australian navy because they were "economic migrants and not genuine asylum seekers".

He then said a separate group of 153 Sri Lankan asylum seekers, who were represented by Mr Newhouse in the High Court, were not more likely to be "true refugees" than the 41 who had been returned.

"So if a crime against morality has been committed, it is surely this: that so many atrocity mongers and moral posers have inflicted upon us a gigantic fraud," Bolt said.

Mr Newhouse sued for defamation. In a judgment handed down on December 11, 2014, Justice McCallum found the five defamatory imputations pleaded by Mr Newhouse were capable of arising. These included that Mr Newhouse "has fraudulently represented to the public that people whom he represents are refugees when they are not"; that he "lied to the High Court"; that he is "motivated by deceit" and that he has "acted immorally".

Lawyers for News Corp had applied to have the imputations struck out.

Justice McCallum said she agreed with the submission of Mr Newhouse's barrister, Sue Chrysanthou, that "the whole thrust of the article is to expose the fraud of the representation that his clients were refugees".

Further, she said the following paragraph written by Bolt did give rise to an imputation of deliberate dishonesty to the High Court.

"Mr Newhouse and barrister Ron Merkel QC have persuaded the High Court to issue a temporary injunction against returning these 153 to Sri Lanka and the same superheated rhetoric is heard about torture, the 'disappeared' and Nazis," Bolt said.

Bolt's article opened with the line: "Here's conclusive proof that our 'refugee lobby' is motivated by deceit, self-preening and insane hatred of the Abbott Government."

Justice McCallum said that paragraph gave rise to the imputation of motivation by deceit.

In the final orders the defendants were listed as Nationwide News, Bolt and the Herald and Weekly Times.

Outside the court Mr Newhouse said the verdict "has vindicated my reputation".

"All I was doing was standing up for the little man. I assisted a group of extraordinarily vulnerable men, women and children to make sure that they received fair treatment by the Australian government and that they were not sent back to harm," Mr Newhouse said.

"It was unnecessary, and hurtful, to be attacked for just doing my job."

A spokesman for News Corp said: "The matter has settled and therefore did not proceed to trial so there was no judicial determination of the issues in dispute."

IE we settled to avoid a precedent that would gently caress us up in future and not because we're lying sacks of poo poo with an agenda across major news markets.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Repeal defamation law now

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Another "we settled out of court so nothing was really wrong"?

Pathetic.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Repeal defamation law now

Phew, something else for Turnbull to talk about that's not the budget

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What also interested me was that it was the parent companies listed as defendants, about the only time you see them in the news outside of financial circles. Also the judgement was in 2014, that's a long-fought appeal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

High Court finds former Family First senator Bob Day was not validly elected

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Bob Day's election ruled invalid by High Court

Former Family First senator Bob Day was not validly elected at last year's federal poll, the High Court has found.

The court was asked to decide whether the leasing arrangements for his electorate office had breached section 44 of the Constitution.

The court has ordered a special recount of South Australian ballot papers in order to determine his replacement.

More to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-05/bob-days-election-ruled-invalid-by-high-court/8417204

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

IN THE MATTER OF QUESTIONS REFERRED TO THE COURT OF DISPUTED RETURNS PURSUANT TO SECTION 376 OF THE COMMONWEALTH ELECTORAL ACT 1918 (CTH) CONCERNING MR ROBERT JOHN DAY AO
[2017] HCA 14

Today the High Court, sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns, unanimously held that Mr Robert John Day AO was a person who had an "indirect pecuniary interest" in an agreement with the Public Service of the Commonwealth prior to and at the time of the 2016 federal election, and was therefore incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator by reason of s 44(v) of the Constitution.

On 9 May 2016, the 44th Parliament of the Commonwealth was dissolved and a general election was subsequently held. Mr Day's nomination for the 2016 federal election was declared on 10 June 2016. On 4 August 2016, he was declared re-elected as a senator for South Australia.

On 1 December 2015, the Commonwealth entered into a lease agreement with Fullarton Investments Pty Ltd ("Fullarton Investments"), the registered proprietor of premises at 77 Fullarton Road, Kent Town in South Australia ("the Fullarton Road property"), for use by Mr Day as his electorate office. The commencement date of the lease was 1 July 2015. Under the lease, Fullarton Investments was entitled to direct the Commonwealth to pay rent to any person. On 26 February 2016, it directed that rental payments be made to a bank account owned by Mr Day.

The Fullarton Road property was previously owned by B & B Day Pty Ltd ("B & B Day") as trustee for the Day Family Trust, a discretionary trust of which Mr Day and his wife were beneficiaries. On 24 April 2014, Fullarton Investments purchased the Fullarton Road property from B & B Day on a vendor finance basis. Fullarton Investments was the trustee of the Fullarton Road Trust, a discretionary trust of which the Day Family Trust was a beneficiary. There was also a loan facility provided by a bank to B & B Day, and loan facilities provided to companies associated with Mr Day. Each loan facility was secured by, among other things, a guarantee given by Mr Day and a mortgage over the Fullarton Road property. Payment of rent by the Commonwealth would facilitate repayment of the purchase price of the Fullarton Road property by Fullarton Investments to B & B Day, which would in turn facilitate repayment by B & B Day of the loan facility, thereby reducing the extent of Mr Day's contingent liability to the bank as guarantor. If the Commonwealth did not pay rent, Fullarton Investments had no other significant source of revenue.

On 8 November 2016, the President of the Senate referred five questions to the Court of Disputed Returns. The principal question was whether Mr Day was incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator by reason of s 44(v) of the Constitution. The Senate's reference also asked how the resulting vacancy should be filled if Mr Day were found to have been incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator.

The Court held by majority that there was no requirement that a "pecuniary interest" be a legally enforceable interest, and it was unanimously held that the financial benefit which Mr Day stood to obtain from the Commonwealth performing its obligations to pay rent pursuant to the lease constituted an "indirect pecuniary interest" within the meaning of s 44(v) of the Constitution. By virtue of the direction that the rent be paid into a bank account owned by him, Mr Day was to receive rent directly from the Commonwealth. Therefore he had an expectation of a pecuniary benefit from the lease. A majority of the Court held he was incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator from no later than 26 February 2016, when the direction was made. The Court unanimously held that the resulting vacancy should be filled by a special count of the ballot papers.
• This statement is not intended to be a substitute for the reasons of the High Court or to be used in any later consideration of the Court’s reasons.

http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/publications/judgment-summaries/2017/hca-14-2017-04-05.pdf

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://eresources.hcourt.gov.au/downloadPdf/2017/HCA/14

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like Mr Day should be getting a Centrelink debt notice for improperly paid Commonwealth monies.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
holy poo poo this thread's still here and everything's increasingly hosed, hi everyone

IIRC there was a decent chance of Labor getting up on a countback of the SA Senate ballots, right?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

holy poo poo this thread's still here and everything's increasingly hosed, hi everyone

IIRC there was a decent chance of Labor getting up on a countback of the SA Senate ballots, right?

This is Australia, somehow it's going to be Ashby that gets the seat despite not even having run there.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/abcnewsCanberra/status/849416240481402880

Efb

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It will be the second Family First candidate, Lucy Gicuchi.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/849403115057106944

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It will be the second Family First candidate, Lucy Gicuchi.

Oh my god Pauline is going to flip the gently caress out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How is the left going to deal with a Conservative Black Woman Senator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

How is the left going to deal with a Conservative Black Woman Senator?

With more regressive leftist real racism I suspect.

• Locked thread