Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Jay Leno has a bunch of cool steam cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pro click. It cruises at 60mph with no noise, grindy gears, smoke or steam. What an amazing machine.

Steampunk just totally misses what advanced steam tech could have been like. I wonder what gas mileage it gets.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Apr 2, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Pro click. It cruises at 60mph with no noise, grindy gears, smoke or steam. What an amazing machine.

Steampunk just totally misses what advanced steam tech could have been like. I wonder what gas mileage it gets.

If it's anything like a steamship the fuel economy is miserable

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The big reasons Doble never took off:

* Ridiculous cost (nearly $10,000 in 1920s money) that made them luxury items.

* They were made in limited amounts due to perfectionism, production problems, and steel shortages from WW1.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I imagine "takes 90 seconds to cold start" was also a big turn off. Say what you will about them but gas engines start right now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You say that but but some rear end in a top hat in my apartment complex needs to sit with their engine running right outside my window for a minute before moving off, every goddamn morning.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I imagine "takes 90 seconds to cold start" was also a big turn off. Say what you will about them but gas engines start right now.

Modern ones do. Older carburetor engines really hated it if you didn't idle for a bit before moving.

EDIT: compare the crank start procedure for the Model T. It's time consuming and not fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MRC48B posted:

Modern ones do. Older carburetor engines really hated it if you didn't idle for a bit before moving.

EDIT: compare the crank start procedure for the Model T. It's time consuming and not fun.

And the crank could kick out and kill somebody, if I'm not mistaken.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

And the crank could kick out and kill somebody, if I'm not mistaken.

They frequently broke wrists but didn't often kill people. Fact is though, they occasionally did. As much as people romanticize old things there's often very, very good reasons they aren't around anymore.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They frequently broke wrists but didn't often kill people. Fact is though, they occasionally did. As much as people romanticize old things there's often very, very good reasons they aren't around anymore.

One piece of advice that my great-uncle passed on to me is that if you should ever find yourself crank-starting a Model T, don't wrap your thumb around the handle, keep it on the same side as the rest of your fingers. That way, if the crank kicks back and shoots out of your hand, it won't break your thumb along the way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

Jay Leno has a bunch of cool steam cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

:honk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine being in a road accident with a steam car involved.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah maybe, but I'd imagine that's something your Butler/driver/manservant handles for you if you're spending $10k on a car in the 1920s

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jay said $20k. Is it really 10?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

One piece of advice that my great-uncle passed on to me is that if you should ever find yourself crank-starting a Model T, don't wrap your thumb around the handle, keep it on the same side as the rest of your fingers. That way, if the crank kicks back and shoots out of your hand, it won't break your thumb along the way.

There are two good reasons to use your left hand to crank.

The amusing one is that, if you are like 90% of the population, you don’t want to break your dominant right arm.

The boring reason is that the joints in your left arm are oriented the correct way. In the event that the engine does kick, you’re less likely to overextend and break your arm at all.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about starting and driving the Model T. It has a few quirks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL5z32pqtU

This guy uses his right arm, but whatever, I can’t find the video I watched last time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wasn't one of the big issues with steam cars that they need way higher precision on parts? I imagine something like that wouldn't mater today with laser CNC and stuff but still.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

My old man's first car was a pre-WWII Citroen. He got it for like $200 in 1960 and never got a battery because it had a crankstarter. He has a great story about how he looked like such a dingus trying to start it before his senior prom that his date went with someone else, then she got addicted to heroin and died.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

My old man's first car was a pre-WWII Citroen. He got it for like $200 in 1960 and never got a battery because it had a crankstarter. He has a great story about how he looked like such a dingus trying to start it before his senior prom that his date went with someone else, then she got addicted to heroin and died.

She had a busy night.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Model A starting tip from a blog where a guy used a model A as his daily driver for a year:

quote:

I 've had my A 56 years and used it daily for several years. I have found that with a little practice the car can be started by "proping" it off with the fan. Be sure the spark is retarded, hold tension on the fan belt with the left hand and pull the fan through the compression stroke with the right hand. You may have to wedge the choke out with a rag while you pull it through a couple of compression strokes with the ignition off to get fuel in the cylinder but it is really better than tearing up the splash apron and radiator shell with a crank. It may sound dangerous but I have never had a problem. I wish you luck and you shouldn't have any major problems, just a whole bunch of minor ones.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Wasn't one of the big issues with steam cars that they need way higher precision on parts? I imagine something like that wouldn't mater today with laser CNC and stuff but still.

I think that they also used water at a hell of a rate, so you had to refill more often than adding fuel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Watch the doble video. Jay goes through all that.

Even the Doble, which is a last-grasp state of the art condensing car goes through a 40 gallon tank of water in a few hundred miles. The other versions, particularly the first 12 years of the Stanley Steamer, were completely open-loop and didn't even really try to condense the water back, meaning it was gone forever and you had a constant steam plume.

My favorite part about Jay Leno is how he describes himself as the "custodian" of the rare and classic cars. Not "owner," but "custodian." He's just there to fix them up and pass them on.

I also love this quote of his that he's said multiple times, in various forms. I'm mushing them together here:

Jay Leno posted:

Never buy cars, or anything like a house, as an investment. Buy the cars you like, and take care of them. Best case scenario, the car goes up in value down the road. If not, though, you still have something you like.

Kinda changed 18-year-old me's mindset when he said that in one of his early, early videos.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I wanna drive one so bad, 150 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque at idle. There was some other video where Jay said he cranked the throttle on one of his first steam cars and spun the wheels inside of the tires.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

spun the wheels inside of the tires.

:stare:

That's insane

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ReidRansom posted:

:stare:

That's insane

Not really. This is why there are beadlock wheels. Or for poor people, wood screws through the bead and inner tubes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

wallaka posted:

Not really. This is why there are beadlock wheels. Or for poor people, wood screws through the bead and inner tubes.

Gonna sound ignorant here but I thought modern tires didn't use inner tubes?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting this because :gizz:

Megabound posted:

I follow this one guy on YouTube who's into tape decks and stereos in a hope he'll post more. This car head unit is fucken sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0l7dzB0y0

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tape players got really fancy there towards the end of their life. Auto-flipping and everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mobby_6kl posted:

Crossposting this because :gizz:

Holy gently caress it even had dbx. Also please watch till the end. It's fantastic.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How does the track skip/seek feature work?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

How does the track skip/seek feature work?

In general, it fast forwards, listens for a period of silence (I think it was a minimum of 3 seconds), and then played from there.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
I miss buying a new head unit for my car. Maybe get a sick amp and a couple of 12's. Does that industry still exist? My 96 Ford Ranger use to thump yall.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

whiteyfats posted:

Tape players got really fancy there towards the end of their life. Auto-flipping and everything.

End of their life?

I used to have an old '82 Supra. This was the console:

Look at that poo poo. Auto-reverse. 7-band equalizer. Phase diffusion, whatever the gently caress that meant. A button for METAL :black101:

I miss that car.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

End of their life?

I used to have an old '82 Supra. This was the console:

Look at that poo poo. Auto-reverse. 7-band equalizer. Phase diffusion, whatever the gently caress that meant. A button for METAL :black101:

I miss that car.

Googling "Phase Diffusion" right now. I'm assuming it's a 'stereo widening' thing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Trebek posted:

I miss buying a new head unit for my car. Maybe get a sick amp and a couple of 12's. Does that industry still exist? My 96 Ford Ranger use to thump yall.

It's smaller but it still exists. I put a new head unit in my latest car because I wanted Apple CarPlay and it wasn't available from the factory. There are still car audio shops and of course Best Buy has installation services as well.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I used to love putting nice new 1-din units in my own and my friends cars. It was so easy to do with the right tools and adapters to fit them to the cars harness, and the improvement over whatever 80s tapedeck was there was immediate, with a shiny new CD player in place. I kept one of my really good Pioneer head units through several cars. It was a simpler time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I just test drove about 9 different cars, and I don't think any of them had a DIN-compatable radio/entertainment system. Everything is molded into the dash and/or is an integrated touch screen.

Kinda sad, because I've installed a new head unit and usually speakers in every car I've owned since 1993.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Gonna sound ignorant here but I thought modern tires didn't use inner tubes?

I've seen it done mainly in low-buck drag racing and off-roading, where many of the tires aren't tubeless, and driving screws through the rim tends to make the wheel non-airtight anyway. You can put tubes in tubeless tires, but there's usually not a reason to do so.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

stealie72 posted:

I just test drove about 9 different cars, and I don't think any of them had a DIN-compatable radio/entertainment system. Everything is molded into the dash and/or is an integrated touch screen.

Kinda sad, because I've installed a new head unit and usually speakers in every car I've owned since 1993.

Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed about my Honda Fit. Not a prayer I'm ever going to replace that stereo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I currently drive a '16 Passat and literally the only really enticing part of the upgraded trim package was an Android Auto-equipped, GPS enabled capacitive touchscreen vs. the base model's resistive, no-GPS, no Android center display.

Too bad the upgraded trim was like an extra $3k :( but I really wish I had it. It's nice that the base model has an SD card slot but navigating through a 64GB card full of music is kind of a bitch with a resistive touchscreen and no voice activation. Sadly like most new cars the thing is molded in so there's no easy way to put in an aftermarket replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah I currently drive a '16 Passat and literally the only really enticing part of the upgraded trim package was an Android Auto-equipped, GPS enabled capacitive touchscreen vs. the base model's resistive, no-GPS, no Android center display.

Too bad the upgraded trim was like an extra $3k :( but I really wish I had it. It's nice that the base model has an SD card slot but navigating through a 64GB card full of music is kind of a bitch with a resistive touchscreen and no voice activation. Sadly like most new cars the thing is molded in so there's no easy way to put in an aftermarket replacement.

It doesn't have bluetooth or a usb port?