Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys compare joel to mike, like what's the appeal to each era?

Joel is a softdad, Mike is your friend's edgy brother. I like Mike's episodes more, the riffs are punchier and sharper. There's more dopey humor with Joel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing it while I do video games, writing, and IT stuff, and honestly, I listened to Joel first, then Mike, and then Joel again, and I think I like the meaner spirited jokes, and Joel sounds a little... Idk, sleepy? He doesn't seem like he's enjoying himself? I don't know how to explain it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heh, The Violent Years is a great episode.

Just the host segments are hilarious, especially the opening. Crow's reaction is so :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsitFbBC00

and Winonna

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Egbert Souse posted:

Heh, The Violent Years is a great episode.

Just the host segments are hilarious, especially the opening. Crow's reaction is so :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsitFbBC00

and Winonna

Crow just keeps going and going and it gets funnier and funnier.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...wow, there's overthinking a premise, and then there's whatever the hell that is. It's no Project Popcorn, I'll tell you that much.

Alehkhs posted:

Weakness-wise, the Joel era has a tendency for questionable jabs at Asians, while the Mike era leans more on declaring actresses to be transvestites and actors to be gay. :can:
Yeah, I was watching Incredibly Strange Creatures with a friend who's trans, and she did not appreciate all the jokes about the female dancer being a guy. I mean, yeah it was the 90's and we hadn't figured that poo poo out yet, but it still a little awkward nowadays.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Crow just keeps going and going and it gets funnier and funnier.

Brooks and Dunn

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

2DCAT posted:

I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

This, "he's a Cabbage Patch Elvis," and "every frame of this movie looks like somebody's last-known photograph" in a three-way tie for the most perfect MST3K riff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

This, "he's a Cabbage Patch Elvis," and "every frame of this movie looks like somebody's last-known photograph" in a three-way tie for the most perfect MST3K riff.

BROOKS AND DUNN

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rollersnake posted:

"Sorry about the face!" is a classic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mike era has its share of problems with the Japan stuff too, though. Prince of Space will always be one of my go-tos, but, uh... yikes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Yeah that's what I figured (though in the past they have generally given at least a one line excuse for stuff like that), no big deal just curious if it got brought up at all.

I THINK something was mentioned that Jonah's Crow and Servo were made from backups while the originals are still with Mike on Earth.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd be easy on them since most of the Brains are fairly progressive. Read Frank's Facebook sometime.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember that many bad jokes about Asians in Joel's era

As in I can't think of any. Early on in the Gamera films they would make fun of silly sounding Asian names, but that was just building up to "Do you think Japanese people make fun of stupid American names?" "Oh certainly."

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
THEY TOOK OUT THE HITLER BUILDING.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rollersnake posted:

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd be easy on them since most of the Brains are fairly progressive. Read Frank's Facebook sometime.

Read Franks twitter. It's 90% him arguing with random people trashing Hillary.

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff

He's hilarious but the dude needs to take a walk some time. Get some fresh air. The election was like 6 mos ago.

E: looks like he toned it down a bit

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Rollersnake posted:

"They're doing it clown-style!" is way up there for me. Both the circus shorts are pretty good but at least "Here Comes the Circus" doesn't have a gut-shot fawn as part of the program.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jet Jaguar posted:

"They're doing it clown-style!" is way up there for me. Both the circus shorts are pretty good but at least "Here Comes the Circus" doesn't have a gut-shot fawn as part of the program.

That reminds me, I love that bit in SoulTaker where the main character is slowly getting undressed and Crow's off-screen, trying to clean his eyes. They get to a point where the girl is topless from behind.

Tom: She's turning around!

Mike: SHHH! SHHH!

Crow: WHAT?! DID YOU SAY SHE'S TURNING AROUND?!

Tom: No! No! I said she's spurning a clown!

Crow: WELL, I LIKE THAT TOO! WHERE'S THE VISINE?!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mokinokaro posted:

I THINK something was mentioned that Jonah's Crow and Servo were made from backups while the originals are still with Mike on Earth.

The originals finally became real boys and now the three of them go on the road riffing movies across the country.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Wrong thread

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Burkion posted:

I don't remember that many bad jokes about Asians in Joel's era

As in I can't think of any. Early on in the Gamera films they would make fun of silly sounding Asian names, but that was just building up to "Do you think Japanese people make fun of stupid American names?" "Oh certainly."

I just found really low-effort stuff like R/L swapping and "Chinaman" accents/singing "ching chong" nonsense to be lazy riffing. There's also everyone's favorite Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy (see, because they all look the same!). Mostly it's that sort of stuff, and they definitely show a bit of self-awareness from time to time with comments like the one you listed. Jokes about slanted eyes and a dropped "nip" or two were a little more egregious.

It just seemed to be a bit of an early crutch to go "ah, those wacky Asians! :rolleyes:"

Huh, I always assumed those were Joel's old pair from his Godzilla stand-up bit, but looking at it now it looks like they went and made/found a second pair :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSw45_WEyo&t=104s

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2017

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Read Franks twitter. It's 90% him arguing with random people trashing Hillary.

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff

He's hilarious but the dude needs to take a walk some time. Get some fresh air. The election was like 6 mos ago.

E: looks like he toned it down a bit

Well he is on a political radio show everyday, so I suppose that might be fueling his interactions on Twitter. Trace comes on the show on Fridays to talk about movies :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

BROOKS AND DUNN

Wynonna!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Am I out of Reba? Do I need more Reba??

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Or any Wynonna?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I was in Minneapolis last weekend and turned my knob to Bob.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chief?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bosley?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

McCloud!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is there anywhere online to watch every episode? really disappointed with the small netflix selection on offer right now

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

is there anywhere online to watch every episode? really disappointed with the small netflix selection on offer right now

most are on youtube, google "club mst3k" as well

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

o/ Space Chief failed miserably and tried to cover up his shame o/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cardboard Box posted:

Legally, no.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be slightly fair, the show has always had the tag line of "Keep Circulating the Tapes"

Legal and MST3K are not on the strictest of friendships.

Support the show however you can whenever you can, but don't worry too much about if watching an episode is legal or not because for a good chunk of them, it isn't and will never be again.

We were SUPER lucky to get the Gamera movies released again, but they're now out of print and Shout Factory has made it clear they will likely never get the rights back. That's not even touching the ones like Godzilla or those movies owned by that one woman

Or the KTMA run as a whole.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to mention that today, director Roger Corman turns 91.

Time to walk a great distance for little reason than padding.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For the record, watching the KTMA episodes are like listening to the first three Flaming Lips albums, in that you can see good ideas, but otherwise it's kind of a painful experience.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They certainly make season 1 a lot funnier and better put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

To be slightly fair, the show has always had the tag line of "Keep Circulating the Tapes"

Legal and MST3K are not on the strictest of friendships.

Support the show however you can whenever you can, but don't worry too much about if watching an episode is legal or not because for a good chunk of them, it isn't and will never be again.

We were SUPER lucky to get the Gamera movies released again, but they're now out of print and Shout Factory has made it clear they will likely never get the rights back. That's not even touching the ones like Godzilla or those movies owned by that one woman

Or the KTMA run as a whole.

It's a real shame that the rights to the Japanese monster movies are such a headache; I'm a fan of those films on their own terms and so the MST3K episodes featuring them are among my favorites. I have the MST3K vs. Gamera box set, luckily.