Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The Chase told me tonight that Kakistocratic means a city being run by the worst people imaginable to run a city. I like this use of the word.

I'm glad I'm not the only viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Who was the last good Italian driver? Ascari? Wow. Andretti? He pretends to be American though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Who was the last good Italian driver? Ascari? Wow. Andretti? He pretends to be American though.

Paul Di Resta :v:

Unironically, and you're all gonna give me poo poo, Dario Franchitti.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Alboreto was pretty decent ,he just had poo poo rides other than the 156/85 which decided to self immolate the last quarter of a season.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The last great one was probably Nannini. Although Alboreto could have been a champion in his early career.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The Chase told me tonight that Kakistocratic means a city being run by the worst people imaginable to run a city. I like this use of the word.

That certainly is an accurate description of The Chase for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Uh, the last Italian winner was D. Riccy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The last great Italian driver was none other than Gigi fuckin Galli, despite winning gently caress all his whole career.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Really? No love for Mario Andretti? I mean his offspring are all scum but Mario is great.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

I think that's why so many worst thread posters love Ferrari. They are like a mirror image kakistocracy of this thread.

Thank you for learning me a good word today.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Really? No love for Mario Andretti? I mean his offspring are all scum but Mario is great.

Mario is American.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

I consider Mario to be an American. The part of Italy he's originally from anyway is now in Croatia. And Michael was an excellent driver, just terrible in F1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How easily poor Riccardo Patrese gets forgotten about.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Patrese was talented but he was very much a "B" driver, imo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
His problems were either cars that kept exploding or were just not that competitive when he was in his prime, and not really having any political clout to be the number one driver. In 89 and 90 he drove the balls off that Williams but everyone was focused on Prost Vs Senna so no one really remembers it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
His performance at Williams speaks more to the quality of those cars than it does to the drivers. I still think Williams would've got the WDC in 1990 if they had a top line driver.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Or the fact that if the car wasn't competitive he wouldn't try very hard.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

His performance at Williams speaks more to the quality of those cars than it does to the drivers. I still think Williams would've got the WDC in 1990 if they had a top line driver.

I don't think the FW13 was better than the MP4/5B but it absolutely was better than the B190 and at the very least a match for the 640. It deserved higher than 4th in the WCC to be sure.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NtotheTC posted:

That makes me a little bit sad. What feeder series' do you have to come through to get to F1 that means you skip all forms of car with a clutch pedal?

These days? All of them.

I'm not sure which direct feeder series would have have a clutch now.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

We're long overdue for a good Italian. Fisichella was arguably the last one.

I won't stand for this. Fisi was incredibly shite.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Trulli Train owned

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

I won't stand for this. Fisi was incredibly shite.

I said arguably.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-veteran-jos-verstappen-arrested-after-nightclub-brawl

Ahahahaha.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Life can be hard for an empty-nester, the man clearly misses his son.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just like to think some fat, hairy goon sipping some pear cider let fly with 'and let me tell you about that frog faced gently caress' and Jos being an ex-F1 driver and therefore a hard oval office just threw his loving stein on the ground and it was on

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like that imagery

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just like to think Jos Verstappen is a violent dickhead

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The man has a documented history of being a psychopath.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I did see this on a re-watch this weekend and muse on how similar father and son are.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

You must live in Australia. Can we get a northern hemisphere mirror?

EDIT: IT WAS UPSIDE DOWN! I SAW IT!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
At the karting world cup in Sarno, southern Italy, Verstappen Jnr, showed the lightning speed which has made him the youngest man ever to win a seat in Formula One, with Toro Rosso next season. He qualified fastest and comfortably won the pre-final by a few seconds. In the final itself, the red mist descended and Verstappen blew it. Having lost the lead from pole position, on lap two he attempted a kamikaze manoeuvre. The resulting collision broke his painstakingly assembled kart, sending Verstappen out of the race.

In such circumstances, most fathers might offer their teary son a consolatory hug, shoulder pat, or even a few words of encouragement. Not Jos. “I was so upset with him,” Verstappen says over coffee. “I walked away out of the park, and went to the van and started packing the tent down. He was crying like a baby. He was really disappointed. He said: ‘Daddy, we have to go and pick up the chassis because it’s the last race of the day.’ I replied: ‘No, I’m not going. If you want your chassis, you have to go and get it yourself.’

“He looked at me and knew I was angry. He got somebody else to help him put it in the van. Then we left the circuit, and he tried to start speaking to me. I didn’t say a word to him. I said: ‘Don’t speak to me. I’m really fed up with it and disappointed with the way you were racing. Please, don’t speak.’

Some of the narrative around Max is that he is the spoilt brat with the easy ride but I would say the reality is Max is tougher than most people and 90% of the people I know in the world would just loving melt being the son of such a man.

Being Jos's son is probably the same way boot camp is tough so it makes soldiers that don't suck. I have a even more respect for Max now, while other modern parents were asking how their son felt about their career Jos was forging ahead like a viking

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Many professional athletes have stories of rough or even outright abusive treatment by their parents. Leyton Hewitt's old man apparently used to leave him to walk home if he ever lost a match as a kid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anthony Hamilton was a good dad. Makes u think.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really? Like supportive good dude with lots of hugs and talking openly about feelings and stuff?

It does make you think.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

jammyozzy posted:

That camera on the swimming pool chicane is probably my favourite for showing just how quickly these cars can change directions. I hope they never move it.

There was a great shot from I think one of the qualifying periods in Aus with Grosjean turning into Turn 11, where the car violently switches to a new trajectory. Sadly the one youtube clip I found showing it has been removed by user.

This is the POV shot from Hamilton though, hitting 6.5G https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJRh9FG83d0&t=51s

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The dude is a legit sociopath.

I do kart, loading these things into a van is quite the loving task with two full grown people and to be pissed at the kid is one thing but to be such a loving selfish dickhead that you're now dragging other people into doing what you should at least be assisting with because you're having too much of a tantrum is just loving unbelievable. I probably would've taken a swing at the guy.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
CRG are poo poo karts as well, every single aspect of that avatar is poo poo :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha holy gently caress well done 1500quid. What an avatar

I do hear you, if some teary kid came up to me and was like 'im sorry mister but i been bad and raced bad and dad wont help me put my kart into the van, can you help plz?' I'd help him and then probably shoot a few 'what the gently caress is wrong with you' looks at his old man

edit: oh poo poo bubba was probated for GRAPHICALLY SUGGESTING a rivals.com pun. Be warned motherfuckers, we don't take kindly to that poo poo around here

• Locked thread