Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Panfilo posted:

The watery stuff that comes out of the ketchup bottle.

Otherwise known as pre-chup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

NewFatMike posted:

Would off the floor like a Jewish drunk David Hasselhoff.

Ah, the Jews, well known for eating bacon cheeseburgers.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Hujiao are loving rad fite me

Would off the floor like a Jewish drunk David Hasselhoff.

The Germans would be so conflicted.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

El Estrago Bonito posted:

OK but, like, cherry coke is a really really good thing for marinating meat, especially chicken and pulled pork. And if you make a reduction coke makes an excellent glaze or base for teriyaki. I've had a few pulled porks made with cherry coke that were extremely tasty as well so I'm not going to 100% discount those onions without tasting them first, but it seems like you could do a better job frying your own onions in a wok and then tossing them in a coca cola teriyaki glaze/sauce.

It's the 'microwave for 30 minutes' that gets me. Just use a saucepan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone must have really taken seriously those "Microwave Cookery" books they used to put out in the 80s with long intricate recipes that used all the obscure features and power levels and poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

god if that ain't me

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't understand what's wrong with sushi and melted cheese.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The photographer, a moment before the shoot began:

Hey Suzanne, can you put the wine in a glass instead of a coffee mug? We don't have photoshop yet so try to smile if possible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

cash crab posted:

god if that ain't me

Sorry about your perm, cash crab.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah that's a loving garbage perm

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd like to see you do better with an at-home microwave perm

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbeet posted:

I'd like to see you do better with an at-home microwave perm

I...hm.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

McSpergin posted:

Sugar and chilli and it's rarely just purely sweet, I can't pick up discernible sweetness in the Korean I've had (tbh Korean is probably one of my top two foods at the moment)

do you loving have tastebuds

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McSpergin posted:

Sugar and chilli and it's rarely just purely sweet, I can't pick up discernible sweetness in the Korean I've had (tbh Korean is probably one of my top two foods at the moment)

Also this place I live near does "gangnam fries" - loaded fries with kimchi, nacho cheese, Korean style chip salt (salt, fried onion, chilli powder) and some aonori. loving delicious

This post sounds like you're eating Korean food somewhere that isn't Korea. At least in the US, most Korean food is not particularly sweet because the sweet thing only really started in the past 15-20 years or so. Korean-Americans mostly immigrated long before and the food they make is more traditional than the food in Korea. If you eat in Korea you will have the sweetness problem, doubly so for anything "foreign" because foreign food is sweet do you know, therefore watch me pour corn syrup on this slice of pizza.

Here's a picture I took years ago of the corn syrup aisle at the local supermarket.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is that really all corn syrup? I thought rice syrup was more prominent over there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had never heard of rice syrup before now, looks like some of that is. It's all liquid sugar of some form or another, anyway.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Honestly it only makes sense to buy it by the jug

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you don't buy it by the jug you're going to run out when you have company and offer them glasses of ice cold syrup

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Watching other teachers at my school make ddeokbokki for the students that involved literal entire bags of sugar liquefied by pouring jugs of corn syrup on them was disturbing, to say the least.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If you don't buy it by the jug you're going to run out when you have company and offer them glasses of ice cold syrup

Cold syrup bad for healthy!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Millennial Sexlord posted:

^^^

Sorry, I get heated when know-nothings try to tell me my business.

Idk if this was aimed at me but I definitely know about American foods too. I was purely making a point saying that there is way too broad a spectrum of varied Chinese foods to lump it all under the banner of Asian food.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

McSpergin posted:

Idk if this was aimed at me but I definitely know about American foods too. I was purely making a point saying that there is way too broad a spectrum of varied Chinese foods to lump it all under the banner of Asian food.

It's okay, everybody is condescending for no actual reason sometimes.

China is in Asia, therefore Chinese food in all forms is Asian food.

If you don't believe me, come right to China (where I live, by the way) and we can take a poll.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

The photographer, a moment before the shoot began:

Hey Suzanne, can you put the wine in a glass instead of a coffee mug? We don't have photoshop yet so try to smile if possible.

Sorry,Bob. I'll do what I can. I am so lonely, and my soul is so empty. The crushing dark surrounds me....

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

yes please

Making some at home for my dnd group this weekend

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McSpergin posted:

No no, it began with whoever said that "you're giving Americans too much credit talking about regional cuisines".

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

do you loving have tastebuds

I'm sensing a little hostility

And yeah, I'm working towards BJCP certification and have two chef grandmothers and a food scientist mum. I've never eaten badly until I moved in with a couple of guys who literally couldn't cook if it wasn't on a barbeque lol

I do monthly palate training and commercial tastings with a bunch of other guys in my brewing club also doing it.

To be fair I'm having Korean in Australia made by actual Korean ex-pats so unless they've adapted it for local tastes, the Korean I've had and made has minimal sugar and is mainly well balanced with a good amount of heat

Like I said previously; the general Tao recipe I understand should have SOME sweetness but this was to the point of being cloyingly sweet.

Also on the same note I've not been to anywhere in Asia outside of Thailand and Hong Kong island (yet, Vietnam and Cambodia and maybe Laos when our big civil project for work finishes up mid next year) so I've not really eaten food in said countries bar those I've been to, just having food cooked by expats. And it's all really good! Australia is lucky to have a good food culture from the massively varied range of people who call here home (Indian restaurants are easier to find than McDonald's lol)

Grand Fromage posted:

Watching other teachers at my school make ddeokbokki for the students that involved literal entire bags of sugar liquefied by pouring jugs of corn syrup on them was disturbing, to say the least.

:cry::gonk::wtc:

That's actually disturbing, I love ddeokbokki and it should definitely not be sweet imo.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's okay, everybody is condescending for no actual reason sometimes.

China is in Asia, therefore Chinese food in all forms is Asian food.

I'm not saying it isn't Asian? Just that there is too much variance between provinces to just generalise it as Asian food in a way that sounds like all Asian foods are the same. I may not have been entirely clear there imo

Grand Fromage posted:

This post sounds like you're eating Korean food somewhere that isn't Korea..

See above - expats in Australia and also making it myself from recipes from Maangchi. Also not big on sweet stuff so I tone down sugar most of the time if it's something I've made before, but this General Tso was something I've not made before hence asking the question of Americans who are actually exposed to/used to this - we don't get general Tso in Australia afaik. I've never seen it on a menu in the entirety of my life.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

No no, it began with whoever said that "you're giving Americans too much credit talking about regional cuisines".

Fair chop.

I've had Cajun and creole and even there is a fair amount of variance (I loving love both, we used to have an expat Louisianan in my home town who ran an AMAZING restaurant that did bits of both (their jambalaya was to die for)

I literally channel all forms of BBQ most weekends on my smoker too, I definitely have America to thank for all of those various delicious rubs and also for producing meathead Goldwyn

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Don't forget to pour the leftover liquid on rice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6VSWCs7d1w&hd=1&t=4s

El Estrago Bonito posted:

OK but, like, cherry coke is a really really good thing for marinating meat, especially chicken and pulled pork. And if you make a reduction coke makes an excellent glaze or base for teriyaki.

It's also a good base for barbecue sauce. But that...travesty, that's just sad.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think that was angerbeet. Anyways, let's end this derail with PUDDING

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Barudak posted:

and for some reason North Asia believes red beans smothered in sugar are a desert item.

Are you talking about red bean paste (which is good) or, like, whole beans in syrup or something?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

McSpergin posted:

:cry::gonk::wtc:

That's actually disturbing, I love ddeokbokki and it should definitely not be sweet imo.

You will weep in Korea if you visit then. Ddeokbokki is always sweet, the question is if it's ridiculously sweet and not spicy at all or mildly sweet but also spicy enough that it's acceptable. The only non-sweet I've had was homemade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Are you talking about red bean paste (which is good) or, like, whole beans in syrup or something?

Its usually paste, but Ive been blinsided by whole red beans in thick syrupy sugar sauce. I dont really touch dessers when Im over there anymore as another common desert trick is fried bread with mayonaise and fuuuuuck that. Ill chug hillbilly moonshine long before I eat desert mayonaise again.

I dont know why sugar got into everything in some north Asian regions cusines there but I wish it would stop or at least not surprise me when I least expect it like in seafood.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You will weep in Korea if you visit then. Ddeokbokki is always sweet, the question is if it's ridiculously sweet and not spicy at all or mildly sweet but also spicy enough that it's acceptable. The only non-sweet I've had was homemade.

That's actually eye opening and incredibly upsetting. I've never had bad ddoekbokki locally or at home! :( especially not where it's overtly sweet, unless the places I go tone sugar down or use a less sweet sugar or just cook it out?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McSpergin posted:

That's actually eye opening and incredibly upsetting. I've never had bad ddoekbokki locally or at home! :( especially not where it's overtly sweet, unless the places I go tone sugar down or use a less sweet sugar or just cook it out?

Outside of those countries they have way less sugar in them. Its a combination of the people who emmigrated took the old no or low sugar variation or the new host culture frankly doesnt care for eating piles of syrup mixed into the food so a more locally palatable version is made.

This process working in reverse is how you have fuckloads of Chinese people asking me about what it was like to live in New Orleans, the birthplace of the American Chicken Wing dish which is known for being cloyingly sweet as though it were sauteed in a coke reduction then had honey poured on it.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

This is exactly the sort of poo poo I'm talking about. Why spend $25 on a very good, well made pizza with interesting flavors:

when you can spend $25 on UNLIMITED PIZZA AND SUGAR JUICE for your 4 screaming poo poo factories?

It's only good when you and your roommate smoke a bunch of weed and it's within walking distance of your lovely suburban apartment.

I'd never seen him so happy "dude, macaroni pizza"

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've been back-and-forth to the upper Peninsula of Michigan couple times this year even though they're delicious, pasties are kind of gross looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

"ddeokbokki" is slang for shagging a lady on her period. :getin:

^ btw I don't care if I correctly romanized that. Don't worry about correcting me.