Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I followed this and it came out pretty decently http://www.justonecookbook.com/santa-maria-tri-tip/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I followed this and it came out pretty decently http://www.justonecookbook.com/santa-maria-tri-tip/

That recipe confirms my fears about Knifegrab's plan: the shape of tri-tip means that an hour's cook won't be enough. You could cut it in half lengthwise first I guess.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I cut it in down to get a reduced width, then cooked it for about an hour. It came out really well cooked but hte problem is without grilling for a long time you fail to get the delicious crust a good tri tip needs. They agreed it was juicier but it wasn't worth the crust trade off, which I agree with. I really need to up my crust game.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I just cooked collards and ham hock in a stew pot. The hock had a pitiful amount of meat at the end, unfortunately. It was all fat, and the fat didn't really melt into the water. What's a good temperature to render the fat so I can at least stir that in?

Basically, I'm trying to puddle just skin and fat.

For a normal (with meat) ham hock, Anovaculinary.com says 145 for 72 hours. Sousvidetools.com says 167 for 10-12 hours.

For rendering fat, I found a Chefsteps forum post that says 190 for 30 minutes, blended/ground up with baking soda. Reddit says 185 for 8 to 10 hours, but that's for beef.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So I gave it a try. Procured one set of shad roe:

Looking around, I saw that 135 was the recommended temperature to not overcook these. So I did that. Separate the lobes and get rid of the membrane that keeps the two lobes together, into a bag with a bit of olive oil just to keep them from sticking to another, then at 135 for about half an hour.

Did these two ways. One just went into a pan full of bacon grease and some shallots:

The other one went into some fried rice with onions, garlic, and some angry granny sauce.

Verdict: not bad. Not surprisingly it tastes like I imagine tobiko would taste if you cooked it. Texture-wise, I'd put it somewhere between chicken liver and scrapple. Not as rich as I'd have expected. If I try this again I'll probably try the grits route, subbing this for shrimp.

One small warning: When pan-frying the individual eggs tend to pop like firecrackers. Be prepared to clean your stovetop.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Mom is rather new to sous-vide (and so am I), but it's apparently a nice day in Indiana, so she plans on doing steaks for the first time. They're 1.5" top loin strip steaks, 1lb total. She just sealed them with salt and pepper, and they'll still be frozen when they go in. Her plan is 3 hours at 133º for medium-rare, then finish with 1-2 minutes on the grill.

Does this sound good? I haven't done steaks yet, so I can't offer any personal advice.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's quite a long time. I regularly cook steak at 1 hour at 129. If frozen I just add 30 minutes. That's for medium rare.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'd say 130 for medium rare. I'm assuming 1-2 minutes is total for both sides, so just make sure she has the grill as hot as humanly possible to keep it as little grill time as possible. 3 hours at 130 is fine, be it is the upper limit of what is recommended for food safe, but safe nonetheless.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It's softened a bit in the refrigerator since this morning, so I told her to do 131º for 1:30 with the grill finish and work from there; take it as an experiment and learn from it for the next time. That should be safe though, yeah?

Neither of us are particularly experienced with s/v (and we're not in the same state), I just know when I use the Anova recommended times/temperatures, they seem to end up more done than I'd expect.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Here's kenji's photos of different temps. 131 is a lot closer to medium than i'd personally like, but everyones different. He calls medium rare 129.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Crunkjuice posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Here's kenji's photos of different temps. 131 is a lot closer to medium than i'd personally like, but everyones different. He calls medium rare 129.

Also remember that anything done sous vide is going to end up redder than another method so med rare can look like rare etc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If you're doing a steak in the puddle machine cook times don't have much to do with food safety. Or shouldn't, anyway. Unless your steak is jaccarded or something like that then the risk is almost entirely due to surface contamination, and searing for 30 seconds on a side (or whatever) will take care of that.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I second this temperature. 135 is ideal for tri-tip, and I'm also from the area that made it famous so you know my opinions are essentially fact. It's actually more tender at 135 than lower temperatures I think.

Also, Knifegrab, I'm jealous of your username.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Procured one set of shad roe:

I"m fascinated by this. Roe are eggs right. So is this a pouch of eggs that you cook as one piece. When you cut into it do the eggs not flow out of the pocket. I figured texture would be more like tapioca.. I seriously thought that was liver :psyduck:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sterster posted:

I"m fascinated by this. Roe are eggs right. So is this a pouch of eggs that you cook as one piece. When you cut into it do the eggs not flow out of the pocket. I figured texture would be more like tapioca.. I seriously thought that was liver :psyduck:

They're very small not-quite-mature eggs, and what you're cooking is the sac. Once it's cooked, the little eggs tend to stay attached, but you've got to be careful about breaking the membrane before that. They're very tiny eggs, like flying fish roe that you get on sushi, and the lobes are packed full of them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifesty...97CN/story.html
http://honest-food.net/shad-roe-bacon-grits/
http://www.inlandseafood.com/seapedia/shad-roe
https://www.thecitycook.com/articles/2015-03-02-what-s-in-season-shad-roe

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

hey i have these ikea plates too!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:

Time and temp, please.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Time and temp, please.

2 hours @ 144F. Finished in cast iron.

Random Hero fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 4, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Random Hero posted:

2 hours @ 144C. Finished in cast iron.
Thanks!

I'll assume you didn't cook your pork chop in superheated steam and so the temperature is in F, not C. ;)

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Thanks!

I'll assume you didn't cook your pork chop in superheated steam and so the temperature is in F, not C. ;)

Solid assumption. Edited :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What does 'slayer' mean for pork chops?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The large Cambro containers and lids are expensive and today I saw a huge beer cooler at Lowes for $15, any reason I shouldn't just use that?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
In fact, a cooler is a much better container because it will insulate your meats from heat loss.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Human Tornada posted:

The large Cambro containers and lids are expensive and today I saw a huge beer cooler at Lowes for $15, any reason I shouldn't just use that?

The only reason to use a cambro over something else is because you already have dozens laying around because you're a restaurant. Get a beer cooler/trash can/bathtub/whatever.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any suggestions on what to do with Culotte/beef sirloin cap? I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with it. It's grass fed and from the same producer I've had a few disappointments with what looked like well marbled top sirloin coming out ungodly chewy after 1 hour at 130f so I'm wary.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sextro posted:

Any suggestions on what to do with Culotte/beef sirloin cap? I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with it. It's grass fed and from the same producer I've had a few disappointments with what looked like well marbled top sirloin coming out ungodly chewy after 1 hour at 130f so I'm wary.

Sous vide it at 132F for 72 hours then drink it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made Lobster last night at 130 for about 1 1/2 hours. Came out good but was in for an extra 1/2 hour because I made clarified butter and made a HUGE mess and had to clean the floor and counter.

Protip: let boiling butter cool before you decide to pour it into a jelly jar...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Trastion posted:

I made Lobster last night at 130 for about 1 1/2 hours. Came out good but was in for an extra 1/2 hour because I made clarified butter and made a HUGE mess and had to clean the floor and counter.

Protip: let boiling butter cool before you decide to pour it into a jelly jar...

That seems like an insane amount of time. I like traditional texture of lobster so I do (unshelled) 15-20 minutes at 140F, sometimes in a beurre montée (French laundry style). I've done it closer to 130 but find it a bit gelatinous still.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bonds0097 posted:

That seems like an insane amount of time. I like traditional texture of lobster so I do (unshelled) 15-20 minutes at 140F, sometimes in a beurre montée (French laundry style). I've done it closer to 130 but find it a bit gelatinous still.

Yeah this was my first time and I was following a couple site's recommendations. I think I will go with a higher temp next time also. How much does time really affect it though if you are holding it at the same temp? Mine was unshelled also.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Trastion posted:

Yeah this was my first time and I was following a couple site's recommendations. I think I will go with a higher temp next time also. How much does time really affect it though if you are holding it at the same temp? Mine was unshelled also.

increased time will impact texture

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying a 24 hour/139 degree, super lean beef shoulder today. We will see how it comes out tonight.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I just finished a chuck at 135 for 24 hours and it's interesting to have a chuck taste with a steak consistency. What kind of temp/time would I need to get a traditional pot roast consistency if I wanted to try again in the future?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

uPen posted:

The only reason to use a cambro over something else is because you already have dozens laying around because you're a restaurant. Get a beer cooler/trash can/bathtub/whatever.

I use a cooler myself, and I would say one thing I miss out on by not using a cambro is not being able to see the bag in the water-I quite often get paranoid that the bag is not fully submerged or interfering with the circulator.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just use a pot half the time? I'm generally only doing small steaks, fish or chops.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sacred Cow posted:

I just finished a chuck at 135 for 24 hours and it's interesting to have a chuck taste with a steak consistency. What kind of temp/time would I need to get a traditional pot roast consistency if I wanted to try again in the future?

I did a fatty fatty chuck for 24 hours at 139, and got a poor man's prime rib out of it. $7!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cambro for life. IMO the insulation of a cooler doesn't provide enough of a benefit (particularly for short cooks) to be worth not being able to see the bags and also the extra space you have to devote to a cooler.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
gotta PEEP THAT MEAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I feel like when I pat my meat dry it never gets really bone dry and that effects the sear, any techniques? I just use paper towels. Should I let teh meat rest after the bath before the sear?