Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I'm guessing you're more a Highschool DXD kinda person?

is kotomine in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

is kotomine in that

no but this is

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

which class is she?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

which class is she?
caster probably?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

highschool dxd is better written than f/z, yes

Come on now.... let's not say crazy things.

What's your opinion of F/SN the original Anime?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deen/stay night you mean? It's a pretty mediocre adaptation of the weakest route of F/SN and with bland animation and some pretty slapshot attempts at adding to the story, but there are some interesting directorial bits and I like a few of the things they do, as well as some of the restraint they show in animating the fights, even if that's probably more down to them being unable to do anything too flashy than not wanting to. Stuff like Berserker and Saber slowly testing each other in the forest is way cooler than ufotable having Berserker do his best eddy gordo impersonation, imo.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

deen/stay night you mean? It's a pretty mediocre adaptation of the weakest route of F/SN and with bland animation and some pretty slapshot attempts at adding to the story, but there are some interesting directorial bits and I like a few of the things they do, as well as some of the restraint they show in animating the fights, even if that's probably more down to them being unable to do anything too flashy than not wanting to. Stuff like Berserker and Saber slowly testing each other in the forest is way cooler than ufotable having Berserker do his best eddy gordo impersonation, imo.

Well drat... didn't expect that. Fair enough I did fall for the flashy effects of UBW and FZ

Do you like UBW and are you excited for HF?

Ngl, I mostly cared about the Kotomine/Emya parts of F/Z.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 2, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the deen adaptation of UBW is pretty bad because it's pretty much just a string of disconnected fights that aren't even animated or directed that well, the ufotable adaptation of ubw is decent and adds some very good bits but also kind of botches the two big fights and treats the VN too much like a direct script in places, trying to cram in every line while failing to get across some of the bits of characterization that come from shirou's narration, i'm not necessarily excited for the hf movies but i'm looking forward to seeing some scenes animated and seeing what, if anything, they add or change

i liked the rider/waver and caster/ryuunosuke parts of f/z, but everything dealing with its status as an actual prequel, or the main thrust of its plot, is a mess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Deen anime also deserves credit since it gave us the voices we have for the cast today. If it weren't that anime you wouldn't have Suwabe saying he is the bone of his sword

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

! :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

The Deen anime also deserves credit since it gave us the voices we have for the cast today. If it weren't that anime you wouldn't have Suwabe saying he is the bone of his sword

yeah if nothing else the jp casting was incredibly on point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

Wasn't the original VN voiced?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Not the original original

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wasn't the original VN voiced?

It wasn't voiced until the Realta Nua PS2 port that was released a year after the anime came out.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

No idea why you're talking about lovely Fate adaptions, when you could be talking about the true best TM franchise and anime, Kara no Kyoukai

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
All the FSN adaptations share the problem that they feel half-assed, like you skipped half the overarching plot. Which of course you did, by not playing the VN. The ufotable ones also suffer from a serious excess of literalism in adaptation from a different medium that operates on completely different storytelling pacing and logic. Any anime can indulge the urge to have a character sit back for a moment during a fight and have somebody contemplate how hayai and subarashii the other guy is, but FZ in particular takes it to a truly laughable extreme. If all the servants would just mentally shut the gently caress up and get on with they'd probably have got the grail summoned by the end of the first cour.

What an FSN anime really needs is an original story imo. There's a lot of dumb poo poo (even by TM standards) in FSN, but more importantly every route is structured like a route in a VN, not a tv anime. It's fun to read, but it's long winded story and a bit of a slow burner that doesn't work incredibly well as television or film as it is. And I don't think the HF movies will be able to escape that problem. Of course it will never happen, but a ground-up rewrite wouldn't be in itself a bad thing.

Wuxi posted:

No idea why you're talking about lovely Fate adaptions, when you could be talking about the true best TM franchise and anime, Kara no Kyoukai

Yes this

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

quote:

If all the servants would just mentally shut the gently caress up and get on with they'd probably have got the grail summoned by the end of the first cour.
I dunno man, if i get summon into the future, i would stall the fighting poo poo so i can play Civilization 19.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nyaa posted:

I dunno man, if i get summon into the future, i would stall the fighting poo poo so i can play Civilization 19.

Truly an admirable tactic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nyaa posted:

I'd get a sports almanac and bring it back to the throne of heroes. Movie reference!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Plutonis posted:

I'd get a sports almanac and bring it back to the throne of heroes. Movie reference!
Your real body in the throne reads about the awesome video game that your clone is playing, essentially reading lp.

Servant life.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does the Alter Jeanne summon ever come back in events or was that a one time thing? I've saved up over 300 thingies for her but I haven't seen her being a +rate bonus event.

Edit:

VVV Thanks! I'll just be patient then :)

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 3, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I rolled her during her second appearance in the gacha. Don't worry, she'll be back sooner or later.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She is one of the limited servants who consistently sees rateups. Not as much as like Gil or Kintoki, but she's still brought back more than the other 5* Avenger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention she was in Shinjuku. She'll probably be in an event soon.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Maybe they'll do a rerun of the Da Vinci event which would be nice because of the lotto rewards. It's where Alter Jeanne was really solidified and we learned of her dream of becoming an otome protagonist.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Compendium posted:

Maybe they'll do a rerun of the Da Vinci event which would be nice because of the lotto rewards. It's where Alter Jeanne was really solidified and we learned of her dream of becoming an otome protagonist.

To be fair that's everyone's dream.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, it's my dream too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh the Gil Route in CCC got fully translated. I read the end and he's truly the best when he's on Dere mode ;_;

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gil is adorable when he's being kind. The way he just says 'no, I want THIS ending' and gets it is amazing. Gil route in CCC is definitely some of Nasu's best work.

Oh, also, event details for gudaguda meiji. Mild faction war aspect to it, but both sides get the rewards of the winning side, so it's more arguing over what rewards you get then who gets rewards. Welfare is Chacha, a 4-star berserker, the limited servant is Hijikata Toshizo, a 5-star berserker, and also has rate ups for Tesla, Edison, Helena, and Medea.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Hijikata wants to give Okita all the radishes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fate-Apocrypha/Ch-011--Episode--011-Berserker-of-Red?id=360808

spartacus... youre strong

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do servants for this event only boost one form of points or the other? Because I used a party consisting of nothing but people with bonuses and didn't seem to receive any bonus points as a result.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Servants don't effect points, specific servants get an attack boost and that's it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Strange Fake out too. Lots of new lady characters, I approve.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

I love Vlad when he's being a classy rear end in a top hat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Servants don't effect points, specific servants get an attack boost and that's it.

Ah, nice, that is good to know.

What happens if one side wins? It seems kinda funny to have the sides competing when you need to do quests from both in order to get all the items.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

HELL YEAH

OKITA AND HIJIKATA

and a third copy of kaleidoscope

also first 5* berserker and he fills out my berserker squad

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
Everyone who is participating in the event gets the rewards of the winning side - which appears to be extra bonus points of that side, as far as I've heard. That actually means it's more efficient to grind out the points of the losing side, since the event will give you free bonus points, and there's no extra reward after you finish the reward ladders for a given side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hijikata seems like a good critical damage Berserker, aside from only having 2 Buster cards. 3 turns of Buster Up + Crit Up + Crit Absorption Up + Party Crit Star Generation Up is pretty nice.

If the general consensus seems to be that he's a top tier Berserker I'll roll for him, but otherwise I'll hold off. His character design isn't so appealing that I would get him for non-gameplay reasons. I'll wait until the appmedia reviews are out, since they're usually pretty on point.