Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

So Bob Varsha's on the official Formula E commentating team today. Interesting.

I'm mad at formula e for not putting up that roboracing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

I feel it might be both, the grids fluctuate so wildly that there's almost no point to it being an international series since only 10 or so drivers actually run the whole season while everyone else is national series drivers who figured they might as well show up to their home race. The regulations are cool though since manufacturers seem to have taken to them the same way they took to GT3.

Though I did notice they decided to run the first round of the international series the same weekend as the Silverstone 24h touring car endurance race which is using TCR spec cars. That seems like a bad idea.

Hadn't even considered that.

Maybe they should consider making the TCR International a one-off "World Cup" at the end of the season at whichever middle eastern crap hole will host it.

Invite the top 5 that'll come from every regional series, get 40 on the grid.

Pablo Bluth posted:

So somehow the first pole of the BTCC season has amazingly gone to Jeff Smith.

It was a wet/dry qualifying session but it's going to be worrying for Honda.

*Nerd poo poo follows*

Jeff owns his own Eurotech team, running Hondas he's bought from the works team. But their Hondas don't have Honda engines, they're using the series provided Swindon units.

So Honda might not be able to beat a 50 year old CEO using their car with another engine.

Still, at least they're doing well in F1 *

*sub-editor please check.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've never watched Formula E, but man that track in Mexico City that they're racing today looks like a track that lovely race drivers go to when they die

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Huge first lap carnage on the first lap of the Blancpain Misano Quali race, red flagged.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last 20 years has taught me that there is no point in there being an international touring car series. Just run it like the old Supertouring days and have there be a TCR World Cup involving all the international TCR series every year.

I think there was like, a three year period where ETCC/WTCC was good before it turned into a complete mess of works teams bitching to the FIA and playing team orders games with 6-car teams.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When did Jeff Smith buy the Eurotech team from Mike Jordan, anyway?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Start of 2015.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dudley posted:

Maybe they should consider making the TCR International a one-off "World Cup" at the end of the season at whichever middle eastern crap hole will host it.

That was basically the Macau race the last 2 years I think they got 30+ cars but Macau told them last year because it was all being livestreamed on the Macau Grand Prix site they couldn't have the TCR graphics on the stream and had to use the same MGP graphics as everyone else. So TCR threw a shitfit and moved the last race of the season to Yas Marina as an F1 support race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BTCC 2017 made it all of 6 seconds before its first safety car because Turkington swerved into Matt Neal on the grid.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

njsykora posted:

BTCC 2017 made it all of 6 seconds before its first safety car because Turkington got taken out by Matt 'Crash-into-Everyone' Neal on the grid.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What the hell is happening at the race 2 grid

e: lol: Plato in the wall, worth it

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Welp.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Plato, Turkington and Neal all eat poo poo on the grid in the same day. This is one hell of a season opener.

Also ITV just keep talking to Ingram even though its obvious talking is causing him serious pain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm so happy that I have to much racing to watch again.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Norns posted:

to much racing to watch

No such thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Minto Took posted:

No such thing.

True

I'm trying to watch the 1983 F1 season and keep up with everything else.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Fun fact: the French language commentary of Blancpain is not geoblocked in the US.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
During the WEC prologue Toyota was on top. The ByKolles car did 4 laps total before a rear wing failure ended their test because they lacked spare parts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

why toyota have big mustache. why

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fun BTCC weekend. Good to see Andrew Jordan back on form, awesome drive by Turkington in the second and third races, and some fun opening-weekend trademark BTCC chaos in race 2.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
When does ITV typically post up the replays from BTCC? All I see are last year's races.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They usually go up the Monday after. So they'll probably be up later on.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Fun BTCC weekend. Good to see Andrew Jordan back on form, awesome drive by Turkington in the second and third races, and some fun opening-weekend trademark BTCC chaos in race 2.

Some absolutely mental driving in the big Ginettas too. The top 2 hit each other and then the new top 2 hit each other.

It says something when the baby Ginettas are probably the calmest race of the day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nismo TV put up a video yesterday confirming that they'll be streaming Super GT live on Youtube with RLM commentary again this season. Round 1 is this weekend at Okayama starting at 6:30am UK time and 1:30am EST.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sweet!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Nismo TV put up a video yesterday confirming that they'll be streaming Super GT live on Youtube with RLM commentary again this season. Round 1 is this weekend at Okayama starting at 6:30am UK time and 1:30am EST.

Awesome! I only watched a couple super gt races last year. Anime GT cars crack me up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Awesome! I only watched a couple super gt races last year. Anime GT cars crack me up.

Strong post/Avatar combo.

That said, I 12:30 at night is a bit too late for my tastes, unfortunately. Might catch the opening but that's it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I didn't say Anime GT cars were bad!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They do crazy poo poo like send course vehicles out on track alongside cats rainy at full speed without a safety car/VSC/even c.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Super Formula still my favorite.

Replacing your pit crew with ninjas is brilliant.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

They do crazy poo poo like send course vehicles out on track alongside cats rainy at full speed without a safety car/VSC/even c.

F1 used to do that too.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

for the technologically-retarded among us, is the stream then watchable after the fact, or is it only a live thing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They'll have the stream saved for watching later yeah, the 4 races they had live last year are still watchable now if you want to go see what Super GT is like. The Fuji race was pretty excellent.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

They'll have the stream saved for watching later yeah, the 4 races they had live last year are still watchable now if you want to go see what Super GT is like. The Fuji race was pretty excellent.

Thanks!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

uwaeve posted:

for the technologically-retarded among us, is the stream then watchable after the fact, or is it only a live thing?

It's live on YouTube and then archived on the Nismo TV YouTube account later, including with the RLM commentary.

Can't wait to hear about Orange Jacket Man again! Also planning my trip for the Fuji 500km in May, too.

[Edit] apparently Radio Le Mans and the previous commentators aren't involved this year. Interesting.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 5, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

[Edit] apparently Radio Le Mans and the previous commentators aren't involved this year. Interesting.

Huh, that seems weird. Why would you get internal commentators to do it when RLM are probably doing it anyway?

Anyway.
https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/849417714062045186

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
JT is living all our dreams....being a goofy guy driving karts on days off then going to the office and driving prototypes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

Huh, that seems weird. Why would you get internal commentators to do it when RLM are probably doing it anyway?

RLM has been contracted with NISMO to do coverage the last few seasons. Remember back in 2014 when Nissan was pushing an ad line that showed off how much they were racing worldwide? Super GT was first a part of that, and the response was so good they kept at it the last two seasons. So they were doing Super GT both because it's interesting and had no English support and because they made the business work.

Seems like NISMO have gone a different way this year, yet they still had last year's comments (including jokey ones) in the ad...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/849969959211892736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Corsica is about to start. It is a very technical and twisty tarmac rally that is said to be the biggest challenge for the co-drivers of the season. It is also one of the most historic of rallies having been a part of WRC since the first season with only a few breaks.

You can follow it here
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNtTr1s4tw

• Locked thread