Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

thengeance posted:

Been playing with my squad for 2 years, having our worst season ever-- 1 win in 9, 5 GAA.

Biggest concern is why we keep running out of beer.

I have one win in 3 seasons combined. Goalie isn't an easy position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So in keeping with spirit of the thread title, do any of you get knee pain from playing goal? I was walking up the stairs this morning after playing last night and felt some pain on the inside of my knee while going up the stairs. No pain when on level ground or going down stairs though. Wonder if it's just not stretching enough.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like you might have strained where the hamstring meets the knee joint. What's your stretching routine like before going on the ice?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Knee (MCL) issues are part of why I took 5 years off after highschool. Is there swelling? Did anyone fall on the side of your leg or did your foot twist enough to send pressure up to your knee?

Sometimes I take a target brand Osteo Bi-Flex supplement and that seems to help if my knee aches much. Aches can be helped by building up muscle around your knee so one leg squats/balance ball can help re-enforce. Historically real knee problems have always been partnered with swelling or instability.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Vargatron posted:

Sounds like you might have strained where the hamstring meets the knee joint. What's your stretching routine like before going on the ice?

I'll generally do some forward lunges, side lunges, and single leg sit and reaches when I'm at home right before I leave for the game. Then when I get on the ice i'll do the traditional kneeling groin stretch. I'll do the same thing after the game but do a sitting groin stretch instead of the kneeling one on the Ice. Occasionally I'll foam roller if I'm feeling particularly tight but I don't always do it.

titanium posted:

Knee (MCL) issues are part of why I took 5 years off after highschool. Is there swelling? Did anyone fall on the side of your leg or did your foot twist enough to send pressure up to your knee?

Sometimes I take a target brand Osteo Bi-Flex supplement and that seems to help if my knee aches much. Aches can be helped by building up muscle around your knee so one leg squats/balance ball can help re-enforce. Historically real knee problems have always been partnered with swelling or instability.

No it doesn't look very swollen, not noticeably different than my left knee (the right one is the one that bothers me). I do have some bruises on both knees just from constantly going into butterfly during a practice session two days prior where folks shot on me pretty consistently for about an hour straight in drills. No one has fallen on my leg during a game situation either.

I'm novice enough where if I'm trying to go laterally from one side of the crease to the other in an odd man rush situation my leading leg doesn't naturally drop to the ice prior to pushing, I'll kind of push and then fall if you will and I had one of those during my last game so I'm wondering if my leading knee didn't like bearing the weight of my body and its bothering me now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Have you been doing any different movements or drills that might twist or stress your right leg more than normal? I had some issues with the tissue right below my right kneecap, but I figured out that my knee pad was causing it due to being out of position and adjusting it helped.

I'm probably not helping much but physiology isn't my strong suit. Most of my pain is emotional from being a terrible goalie.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Jovial Cow posted:

No it doesn't look very swollen, not noticeably different than my left knee (the right one is the one that bothers me). I do have some bruises on both knees just from constantly going into butterfly during a practice session two days prior where folks shot on me pretty consistently for about an hour straight in drills. No one has fallen on my leg during a game situation either.

I'm novice enough where if I'm trying to go laterally from one side of the crease to the other in an odd man rush situation my leading leg doesn't naturally drop to the ice prior to pushing, I'll kind of push and then fall if you will and I had one of those during my last game so I'm wondering if my leading knee didn't like bearing the weight of my body and its bothering me now.

What knee pads are you using? You shouldn't be getting bruises.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

titanium posted:

What knee pads are you using? You shouldn't be getting bruises.

An older version of these guys:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/ccm-goalie-accessories-knee-pad-pro.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, GSBB kind of died huh. I used to go there all the time to check their classifieds but now it's kind of a ghost town.

I was hoping to find a decent all-white 34+2 to replace my old-ish RBKs.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I'm looking to get back into playing goal again, and found I need to get new knee pads. Are they something I should get fitted or would a pair from Amazon just fit? I saw some that said any size, but i figured I should double check before I drop 50 bucks.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Man, GSBB kind of died huh. I used to go there all the time to check their classifieds but now it's kind of a ghost town.

I was hoping to find a decent all-white 34+2 to replace my old-ish RBKs.

I've been told bench swap dot Com is the new hotness, but I'm on the fence. I still hate the idea of not playing around with equipment before buying.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

I also do the store brand Osteo Bi-Flex every day and my knees feel it when I forget to take it for a few days straight. Lunges seem to also help, imo.

Bootcha, unless your style has changed drastically, the Simmons gear should work well for you. Unfortunately, you'll have to get use to NHL size spec glove and blocker. No more of that early 2000s bullshit giant glove and massive blocker. :v:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think everything has been absorbed by GGSU on facebook

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

No games lately? Haven't seen any videos from you in a few weeks.

I found out yesterday that I WON'T be in goal for Game 1. We have someone with a bit more training for the weekend, and they want me up on the wing screening the opposing goalie/being a nuisance.

I also had to miss the clinic last night due to business obligations. I did find out that a couple of the coaches at the clinic were commenting to my team captian about how much I've improved, so that's a positive.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

I'm a fan of the Ritual-x knee guards, there's a fair amount of padding where you land so you flat out wont get bruised from "over use". Those CCM's dont offer a ton for landing area absorption.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

No games lately? Haven't seen any videos from you in a few weeks.

I found out yesterday that I WON'T be in goal for Game 1. We have someone with a bit more training for the weekend, and they want me up on the wing screening the opposing goalie/being a nuisance.

I also had to miss the clinic last night due to business obligations. I did find out that a couple of the coaches at the clinic were commenting to my team captian about how much I've improved, so that's a positive.

I had a big tournament I didn't want to use it at, new rinks/opponents. I've been filling in a bunch on non-sunday nights but as a first timer so I usually become familiar with the team/group I skate with before filming. Last Sunday I was toying around with a more Holtby like stance and it felt good. My ankles been bothering me on and off so the more chair like stance vs. deep squat puts less stress on them. I'll put a video up soon, if there's something anyone here wants me to do let me know. I wouldnt mid getting more hits on that page since I've put a fair amount of work into it.

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 12, 2017

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I actually don't like big bulky knee guards, I thought they didn't do much in terms of helping with impact when going into the butterfly because they were so stiff. I had a pair of vaughns I thought were okay but not great, even after they were broken in.

What I do now is wear a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Collision-Av...dprod+knee+pads

Along with a pair of these: https://goalie.totalhockey.com/product/Elite_Padded_Goalie_Base_Layer_Pants/itm/15086-43/

Less bulk and I feel like I can move around better without as much stuff on my knees. Seems that the bauer pants aren't available anywhere anymore, which sucks because they are great. They do make another version which I assume is designed for skaters (has less knee/inner thigh protection), so ymmv.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Glambags posted:

I actually don't like big bulky knee guards, I thought they didn't do much in terms of helping with impact when going into the butterfly because they were so stiff. I had a pair of vaughns I thought were okay but not great, even after they were broken in.

What I do now is wear a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Collision-Av...dprod+knee+pads

Along with a pair of these: https://goalie.totalhockey.com/product/Elite_Padded_Goalie_Base_Layer_Pants/itm/15086-43/

Less bulk and I feel like I can move around better without as much stuff on my knees. Seems that the bauer pants aren't available anywhere anymore, which sucks because they are great. They do make another version which I assume is designed for skaters (has less knee/inner thigh protection), so ymmv.

I can understand the bulk part, I used to be the same. Butterfly impact on newer Passaus + Ritual's are really good, it might not be easy to tell but the foam padding in these is pretty thick.

I took a few too many bombs off my pad attached thigh guards to not move to larger ones, it does take a while to get used to and there is some pad adjusting you need to do as well.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody got any suggestions on my stance? I feel like my stick position is a little off and my glove hand looks a bit awkward with the way I'm holding it. Maybe I'm not getting my hands far enough in front of me or something.

Got a good chance to work on some fundamentals last night before stick time went to poo poo with a scrimmage. Still feel like I'm getting beat too easily by tight end shots, but I think it's more of an issue with basic positioning than save selection.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm going to take shots at the heel of that stick all day long because if I hit it hard enough it's going to slide under.

I can't shoot well

edit: this is the goalie thread, ignore me

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I need to either adjust my blocker positioning or get a stick with a longer paddle.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

dogstile posted:

I'm going to take shots at the heel of that stick all day long because if I hit it hard enough it's going to slide under.

I can't shoot well

edit: this is the goalie thread, ignore me

Nah man, skaters perspective on this is actually a good thing. Stuff like this is actually helpful to newer goalies.

Vargatron: I agree your glove looks a bit awkward, but it it's presenting a ton of face so I dunno. I think you may need to get your blocker a bit more vertical and it might get your blade flatter. Otherwise, what's your paddle length?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've got a goalie who will be helping me out tomorrow morning who played women's college hockey. My paddle is 25" but I may try out a 26" that I have as an alternate to see if that helps out any.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got with an ex-college goalie on Saturday and she really helped me out in fixing problems in my stance. One of the big things was that my stance was almost too deep and I wasn't vertical enough for my height. I also was pitched too far forward which contributed to my right shoulder dropping down.

Stick positioning was a big issue that she helped fix. I wasn't putting enough weight down on the stick and it wasn't far out enough in front of my body. This caused the heel to pop up and also caused the right side of my body to drop down too. I adapted more of a "sit in chair" stance and added some weight to the stick and it brought my upper body back in line. Saw immediate results in the shooting exercises I was doing.

On the positive side, she mentioned that my butterfly technique was good and that my reactions were correct and in keeping with the depth of the shots I was facing. I'm apparently doing very well for being self taught an only having played for 2 years come August. Basically I need to adapt to a more standup style and rely more on my stick for saves than dropping down every shot.

We've got another session lined up in 2 weeks so I'm really looking forward to that.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Stick grip/etiquette question for you guys. Do any of you touch the paddle when you grip the stick? I have a tendency to put my index finger on the paddle while gripping it, I feel like it gives me slightly more control, but I've noticed when I go paddle down it prevents me from keeping the paddle completely flush to the ice.

Do you just move your hand up the shaft when you go paddle down? Or should I not have my index finger on the paddle at all?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I usually have a finger on the paddle for control reasons, but I may give no finger a shot.

My Monday clinics got a goalie coach, but since it's still primarily for seeing shots it's still free. It's actually been nice to have an experienced goalie around to ask questions of and get pointers about things. I was told that my angles were dead on last night, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep my index finger on the paddle for control reasons. You might have to rotate your finger up slightly so that you don't pinch it between the stick and the ice when going paddle down. You could also try getting a paddle with a "trigger grip" notch cut out in the paddle.

I'll also have another chance to work with a goalie coach this Saturday morning. The session two weeks ago really helped me out.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Going back to the stance thing, is it really an issue to have your blocker overlap your leg pads slightly? I'm only 5'9" but even with a middle-of-the-road standard paddle length my blocker overlaps a bit with my legs in my stance.

While taking up as much space as possible is ideal, I don't think it's a big problem.

Vargatron, the only thing I'd say about your stance is your arms look slightly awkward, like you're not quite sure if this is how you should stand. It sounds like that coach helped you out a ton, though. :)

And, as is now tradition for me when I change divisions, we won it all...with 7 skaters against their 5. Thanks bad scheduling and a couple of suspensions due to over-zealous officiating on both teams from a prior match-up.

No trophy on the ice, but we do get a sweet beer mug to sip Rainier out of in the dressing room.

Jovial Cow posted:

Stick grip/etiquette question for you guys. Do any of you touch the paddle when you grip the stick? I have a tendency to put my index finger on the paddle while gripping it, I feel like it gives me slightly more control, but I've noticed when I go paddle down it prevents me from keeping the paddle completely flush to the ice.

Do you just move your hand up the shaft when you go paddle down? Or should I not have my index finger on the paddle at all?

I didn't know anyone who held the stick without their index finger on the paddle. I used to crunch mine on occasion going paddle down, but I've gotten a lot better about it and haven't done it in ages. I can't imagine holding it without the index finger on the paddle, though. You need that control.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bradf0rd posted:

Going back to the stance thing, is it really an issue to have your blocker overlap your leg pads slightly? I'm only 5'9" but even with a middle-of-the-road standard paddle length my blocker overlaps a bit with my legs in my stance.

While taking up as much space as possible is ideal, I don't think it's a big problem.

Stick position is probably more important than blocker position in this case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

Too lazy to take new pics, and also I am at work where I keep very little goaltending equipment (such as: none), but this post I made in 2008 is as true today as it was back then:

Martytoof posted:

Here's my take on it (IMGFLOOD WOO)

I either need to wrap three fingers way too high up

Or two fingers on the paddle which is poo poo for grip in my hands

Otherwise my fingers naturally want to rest here:

BUT when I hack away a chunk:

My fingers fall where they want to:

Ahhhh feels so good:

Unlike crumleg, I actually like having the stray finger on my paddle. It's never bothered me. What's always bothered me is that my fingers never fell where they felt natural without the cut :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 26, 2017

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Started getting some real work in on pushes and slides. My legs burn so good.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Keep at it - I still occasionally go back to see my development coach and do the crown drill for like 30 minutes (with rests after 5 or so reps). It burns and i feel like puking half the time but worth it, makes the world of difference during a game

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been doing positional and shooting drills with a coach and I feel like I have to take a break every 10 minutes because it's so exhausting. I should really start running after work...

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
I find more benefit from explosive speed/power (i.e. interval training and plyometric work ) than endurance (running/jogging). That said, its no good having explosive power if your stabiliser muscles arent in good enough shape to help control all the power. Otherwise all you're going to explode is your back or something else. Jogging, or swimming (do the swimming) is a good way to build the stabilisers. And do planks. Lots of planks.

Consult a good sports physio though, you may have some genetic/physical quirks that make one particular type of exercise better or worse for you. She gets a good run in this thread already but seriously check out Maria Mountain for goalie specific exercises. Her click-baity way of promoting herself is loving awful but her content and knowledge is absolutely top shelf.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Do any of you wear a throat guard in addition to a throat dangler? Or is it more of an either or sort of deal? I kind of want to loosen the shoulder straps on my chest protector so I can rotate my helmet more (it can get caught on the shoulder floaters when looking behind the net) but I don't wear a throat protector under my dangler and I worry about taking a shot just below the clavicle or in the upper sternum area.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jovial Cow posted:

Do any of you wear a throat guard in addition to a throat dangler? Or is it more of an either or sort of deal? I kind of want to loosen the shoulder straps on my chest protector so I can rotate my helmet more (it can get caught on the shoulder floaters when looking behind the net) but I don't wear a throat protector under my dangler and I worry about taking a shot just below the clavicle or in the upper sternum area.

I go with only a dangler. I tried doing a neck guard but it was too hot and I felt like it was choking me. I think there are some padded shirts that can help cover your clavicle area.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Jovial Cow posted:

I did dangler only for a long time, I had a few bust on me and got sick of buying new ones. There were a number of times where the puck got through and that wasn't fun either. I'm currently using a Vaughn neck guard that has saved me on a number of occasions. It's not overly hot or intrusive so I'd recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1I1ccYQs0

titanium fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 8, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I've got a dangler to help deflect straight neck shots and a wrap around neck guard to stop me getting my neck hit with a stick or skate. Sometimes I feel like it might be too hot, but I feel naked without it.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Dangler only here - tried collar/neck guard as well but was hot as gently caress so it's just the dangler for me!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jovial Cow posted:

I've been wearing a dangler for a while and it doesn't bother me any but I've managed to break at least three of them on shots. After managing to still get hit in the throat while wearing a dangler, I got a clavicle/neck guard. The heat thing was annoying at first but I got used to it and it stopped bugging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I had a really good night at clinic tonight. Pushes and slides were clicking and i was making some good stops on the coaches for a half an hour, then I move to corner 2-on-2 for a half an hour and got through fifteen minutes before giving up a goal. The coaches were impressed tonight.

I'm already sore and it's great.

• Locked thread