Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Also, I could see Liv being exhausted from the lies she's already living, so she might not have wanted to pile on another. That makes sense.

But my issue is that her family didn't jump to that conclusion themselves when she refused to donate blood to her brother. That'd probably have been a fascinating scene, that could've still turned out similarly if her mom asked and Liv denied it. Though I guess that'd take the metaphor of the show too far. Like the coming-out scene from X-Men 2, but not at all funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Honestly, I don't think there was anything particularly dumb about the personal dynamics involved in writing Liv's family out. (Forgetting that hospitals usually have blood on hand is another thing, mind.) Liv's mother was established as incredibly unforgiving, and if you almost die and someone you love refuses to save you and then doesn't give a reason why they couldn't, there's no way that's not going to change how you view them. Estrangement happens over much less than that.

Of course, they could have said "Liv's brother had to go back to his home planet" and I'd still be glad the character whose only purpose was to rifle through Peyton's underwear drawer is out of the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Remember seeing the preview ads or even the first episode and thinking Major Whitebread was going to be the one you'd want written out of the show ASAP? Good times.

Oh, hey, Liv's zombie cop boyfriend died in the finale. I wonder if this will lead to Liv and Major finally getting back together?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
That was a really enjoyable premiere all around; was hoping for more Ravi but the season is still young. If anything though, I'm trying to remember but did they name the merc group in the last season....cause 'Fillmore Graves' is a great name.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did anyone get a good lip read at the end there? I think Liv was saying "I want you to know that..." something.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Facebook Aunt posted:

Remember seeing the preview ads or even the first episode and thinking Major Whitebread was going to be the one you'd want written out of the show ASAP? Good times.

Heh.

Is this going to be the current season thread?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

poo poo it's back? I thought it was coming back on Thursdays for some reason. I missed it having to see Rent last night :negative:

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I like the twist they did with Fillmore Graves - I was going into this season expecting them to be literally Umbrella corporation evil. I hope that the deaths at the end of this episode isn't some sort of false flag attempt by them and there is some Zombie killing people out there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shaded Spriter posted:

I like the twist they did with Fillmore Graves - I was going into this season expecting them to be literally Umbrella corporation evil. I hope that the deaths at the end of this episode isn't some sort of false flag attempt by them and there is some Zombie killing people out there.
The boss woman seemed genuinely affected by the news when there was no one there for her to be acting for, so unless there's some secret shadow leadership behind her it's not likely to be a false flag.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I bet the radio station shock jockey is involved more than incidentally. That can't be the last we'll see of him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I bet the radio station shock jockey is involved more than incidentally. That can't be the last we'll see of him.

He was the villain in Dirk Gently recently, he was good, definitely coming back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have no doubt Filmore Graves will end up being some sort of villain in the future, but I'm glad we're starting out with their intentions being good in many ways.

Lady does run a PMC tho, I'm sure something shady goes down eventually, whether it's her or someone above her.

Really great premiere.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like that Major apparently joined that PMC. Now he's Private Lillywhite.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I appreciate that Major became hard as gently caress due to past events, and has stayed as such consistently, no matter how much he tries to deny it or stop himself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vivienne's plan of zombie island is pretty dumb though. Thanks for rounding up all the zombies in one place to make it easier to bomb them all.

Zombie kids is pretty hosed up though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did not see like 90% of the plot developments happening. Missed this show.

My mind is hazy on some plot elements though. What did Blaine's father do to Blaine that was so horrible they're at war with each other? I remember something about Blaine's grandpa, but that's about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

My mind is hazy on some plot elements though. What did Blaine's father do to Blaine that was so horrible they're at war with each other? I remember something about Blaine's grandpa, but that's about it.

My memory is a little hazy on the middle details but:

Blaine turned dad into a zombie and extorted him for cash
Dad takes over the business from Blaine and shoots Chief in the throat
Blaine kidnaps dad, freezes him and declares him dead to try and get the money from his will. Turns out he left 10m to the nanny / housekeeper and the rest to charity? Blaine tortures dad to change the will(can't remember which events happened first in this sequence).

And now dad and Donny are teaming up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Vivienne's plan of zombie island is pretty dumb though. Thanks for rounding up all the zombies in one place to make it easier to bomb them all.

That's what I thought. That's just begging for any super power in the world nuking the whole island and saying "We had to do it to prevent this virus from spreading further."

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Good premiere with just enough of the status quo changed that I hope it makes the show a lot more interesting.

I'm in the camp that Blaine 100% has his memory - they make a point of him singing along with a song and having Ravi explain that Retrograde Amnesia means he shouldn't have anything but procedural memory. That's not, like, a medical certainty or anything, but it seemed just enough on the nose while still being subtle that it feels right.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part was the family being trap doored out of the opening sequence and replaced by Peyton going :what:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mortanis posted:

I'm in the camp that Blaine 100% has his memory - they make a point of him singing along with a song and having Ravi explain that Retrograde Amnesia means he shouldn't have anything but procedural memory. That's not, like, a medical certainty or anything, but it seemed just enough on the nose while still being subtle that it feels right.

I think the medical diagnosis for retrograde amnesia is a little less precise when you are dealing with a magic infection which lets you absorb memories through the stomach.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ugh the Peyton/Ravi/Blaine love triangle is somehow even worse than expected.

Solid otherwise though. I was expecting "I got a job where no one cares if you've been accused of being a serial killer!" to be the setup to a punchline, but thinking about it this is exactly the kind of thing Major does.

Also, glad they didn't try to cram in a victim of the week plot when there was so much ground to cover.

Mortanis posted:

Until this episode I was thinking "why the hell would he fake amnesia", but Don E's theory is actually good enough I can believe it. (Relatedly, Ravi saying "I can't make more of the zombie cure...so I'll just figure out how to CURE AMNESIA!" is incredibly silly and I kind of love it.)

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I don't think Blaine is faking, but on the off-chance he is, I look forward to Ravi trying to strangle him for wasting his precious research time. Solid opener, I'm liking the new Philmore Graves sub-plot a lot more than I expected.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

IIRC what happened was that Blaine was close to his grandpa and dad put the guy in a home against his will and told everyone he was senile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC what happened was that Blaine was close to his grandpa and dad put the guy in a home against his will and told everyone he was senile.

Yes, and the housekeeper/nanny woman was abusive. Both physically and emotionally abusive. Dad either didn't believe it or didn't care, and was emotionally distant and cold. I don't remember what happened to his mom, but after his grandpa was put away there was no on in his daily life who loved him. All of that on top of being a rich kid, who are prone to being kind of lovely anyway.

I think the implication was he was just a typical rich kid party boy living for shallow kicks, until his dad cut him off financially. The he got into drug dealing because he had connections both to drugs and wealthy customers, which made him useful to Mr. Boss. He could fit in at high-end events like the boat party.

Exactly where in there he became a full on murderous sociopath isn't clear. Amnesia Blaine isn't mean, but he also isn't overly disturbed by the brains business or by killing people.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

So Blaine smothered his grandpa to death, so he could feed his dad the grandpa brains.

And then dad got snatched by Major, so it didn't even matter.

It was particularly messed up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I thought. That's just begging for any super power in the world nuking the whole island and saying "We had to do it to prevent this virus from spreading further."
You think any country would nuke an American island full of American citizens?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You think any country would nuke an American island full of American citizens?

Is it an American island? I thought it was just an island that company bought.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cojawfee posted:

Is it an American island? I thought it was just an island that company bought.

It's one of the dozen or so islands off the coast of Seattle so it's most likely American or possibly Canadian, either way nuking it would create more problems than a few zombies

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I wasn't paying close attention the first time I watched, I thought it was some far off island. Turns out it's some fake island between Fort Ward and Blake Island.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol if you think that the American government wouldn't the first in line to bomb the island.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol if you think that the American government wouldn't the first in line to bomb the island.

Oh they totally would. Everyone hates zombies and that makes it an easier sell than most of the populations we've bombed, the problem is that it might cripple the Seattle/Vancouver fishing industry and that hits photogenic rich people right in the wallet

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nuke might be a bit too far. The US would probably use conventional bombs to erase the island.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Back in the 80s I remember sincere concerned people suggesting we should set up leper colonies for AIDS patients. That way no one else would get infected, and the AIDS people wouldn't constantly be exposed to other illnesses they have no immune system to fight. Win-win! Of course if they had ever gone through budget cuts, over-crowding and whatnot would have turned them into horror shows, but Step 1: Send Them To An Island seemed like a humanitarian, commonsense solution to a lot of people.

So yeah, Zombie Island might not be a hard sell to most of the public. Instead of a humanitarian crisis, all this nice whitebread zombies are going off where they can't accidentally infect anyone. Which also means that any zombies who don't voluntarily relocate to Zombie Island are potentially dangerous criminals who deserve a bullet to the brain. It makes a complex problem simple. Feels good.

Humans love internment camps. Send those troublesome people over to their own little space so we don't have to think about them anymore. Filmore Graves is just building themselves a nice internment camp where they get to be in charge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can't wait for the Jurassic Park scene where some rich family lands their yacht at the island and their daughter gets eaten by chirpy zombies.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So people think Major might be the Chaos Killer still and they go out of their way to taunt him? That's one ballsy barista.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So people think Major might be the Chaos Killer still and they go out of their way to taunt him? That's one ballsy barista.

I actually was confused by this whole thing. Weren't all the supposed victims found alive and saying they were kidnapped by the Max Rager guy (except that one girl he can't find)? How can he be the Chaos Killer if no one is dead?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fru Fru posted:

I actually was confused by this whole thing. Weren't all the supposed victims found alive and saying they were kidnapped by the Max Rager guy (except that one girl he can't find)? How can he be the Chaos Killer if no one is dead?

Newspapers don't lie.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be honest that's probably one of the most realistic parts of the show.

People are stupid and panicky. They see bad poo poo about someone once and that's what sticks. Doesn't matter if they're acquitted or tried and found innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fru Fru posted:

The court of public opinion already convicted him of being the Chaos killer and sentenced him to a lifetime of being poo poo on by nobodies.

• Locked thread