Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love the Grace hot sauces. That one is awesome, but even their basic red Tabasco knockoff is an improvement on the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love the Grace hot sauces. That one is awesome, but even their basic red Tabasco knockoff is an improvement on the original.

I was going to say the same thing. I considered MSpainting the image with a circle around that one to hilight it as the real pro sauce in the collection, but :effort:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought a shitload of hot sauces:

4 bottles of Hot Ones - I bought 2 bottles of this a while ago and went through them super fast. It's too good.
Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk - looking forward to making some jerk chicken with this
High River Rogue - I just heard this one was good

Will return with trip reports when they get here

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I have an awesome-looking bottle of home made hot sauce that I bought from an old lady in St. Thomas, but I haven't opened it yet because I'm drowning in hot sauce at the moment. The BIL gave me a quart Mason jar full of his home made/grown jalapeno/habanero relish, and it's loving awesome.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I didn't know Grace was so coveted. I live in a West Indian neighborhood, so the grocery has every Grace product you can think of.

I get all my exotics at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo. Anyone else in the tri-state area going?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Disco Godfather posted:

I didn't know Grace was so coveted. I live in a West Indian neighborhood, so the grocery has every Grace product you can think of.

I get all my exotics at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo. Anyone else in the tri-state area going?

It's not rare or coveted or anything. It's just really good, not hard to find, and it's probably the best price:flavour ratio you'll get from any brand.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got some loot in the mail today from California Blazing Chile Farms. Got a bottle of Blazing Coyote Hot Sauce made with the 2014 Guinness World's Hottest Pepper (Carolina Reaper) and a Carolina Reaper brownie. Also came with a free sample of Carolina Reaper fudge and two Carolina Reapers themselves. Tried a bit of the fudge and brownie. They taste pretty good and then of course the heat kicks in. I popped a piece of the brownie into my mouth and tried to keep a straight face while I convinced my roommate to try some too. Can't wait to try the hot sauce on some tacos or chili or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got some loot in the mail today from California Blazing Chile Farms. Got a bottle of Blazing Coyote Hot Sauce made with the 2014 Guinness World's Hottest Pepper (Carolina Reaper) and a Carolina Reaper brownie. Also came with a free sample of Carolina Reaper fudge and two Carolina Reapers themselves. Tried a bit of the fudge and brownie. They taste pretty good and then of course the heat kicks in. I popped a piece of the brownie into my mouth and tried to keep a straight face while I convinced my roommate to try some too. Can't wait to try the hot sauce on some tacos or chili or something.

Well, did they have some?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah he tried some and started crying like a bitch, haha. My old man had a hot sauce collection growing up so I am no stranger to heat. My favorite story was when I had a party one weekend in HS while my parents were away. My pops has a 500k Scoville hot sauce that comes with an eyedropper. I dared a friend to try it. He started running around the house in severe pain. A while later he went to piss and came running back to the kitchen screaming. Somehow he got some on his hands and by proxy on his dick. He grabbed milk out of my fridge, poured it in a bowl, and dipped and ballsack in it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I don't mess with those ultra concentrated witches brew sauces, but I did get habanero juice on my scrote once. I wouldn't describe as a burning sensation as much as like having the loose skin on the balls gripped by a pair of pliers where I was exposed. poured milk onto a washcloth and sat on it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I sprayed myself in the eyes with pepper spray by accident when I was a teen and I'd rather do that again than get superhot juice on my balls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've managed to avoid touching the nether regions with hot sauce, but I have had the misfortune of getting my eyes with residue. Gods that sucked.

Also, for anyone in the Milwaukee area: https://mbf-sauces-llc.myshopify.com/ Some good stuff here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Jokes on me. Went to the bathroom this morning and it burns so much.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Can a hot sauce expert explain something for me?

I bought some Daves Insanity Sauce. Half a teaspoon of it in a 1qt / 1 litre casserole makes that dish burn like hell and barely edible.

However, the same amount of sauce spread across two burgers made them pretty hot, but not unbearable.

I love hot sauces and regularly use skotch bonnet based and other pretty hot sauces, so I like the burn a little more than the average person, but not like the people who specialize in the super hots.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

evobatman posted:

Can a hot sauce expert explain something for me?

I bought some Daves Insanity Sauce. Half a teaspoon of it in a 1qt / 1 litre casserole makes that dish burn like hell and barely edible.

However, the same amount of sauce spread across two burgers made them pretty hot, but not unbearable.

I love hot sauces and regularly use skotch bonnet based and other pretty hot sauces, so I like the burn a little more than the average person, but not like the people who specialize in the super hots.

The casserole likely had a bunch of oil in it to spread the hot sauce into every bite.

Same thing with pepper flakes, if I put habenero flakes on a sandwich or in hummus it's not nearly as hot as putting the same flakes in a soup or stew.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A semi-liquid casserole is a much more efficient delivery mechanism. For burgers, chewing it up only actually exposes a small portion of the mass to direct contact with your tongue.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is 'Pain 100%' hot sauce any good? I remember it from when I was a little kid but only that it made my grandpa and sweat profusely and almost cry, nothing about how good it actually was.
e: this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LBNUUU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If that's the jamacan man on a flat bottle it's pretty good.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is 'Pain 100%' hot sauce any good? I remember it from when I was a little kid but only that it made my grandpa and sweat profusely and almost cry, nothing about how good it actually was.
e: this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LBNUUU

I haven't tried the plain "100%" version, but I can vouch for the fruity Jamaican version and the garlic one (it is very garlicky too) and they're both decent:

http://www.originaljuan.com/pain-is-good

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Pain 100% is awful. Zero flavor, just hot. It's not anything like the other Pain sauces which are really good.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

angor posted:

Pain 100% is awful. Zero flavor, just hot. It's not anything like the other Pain sauces which are really good.

I think 90% or 80% pain was the version I had last and it was one of my favorite sauces in recent memory. It's pretty hot without being extract-dangerous and had pineapples and habeneros pretty high on the ingredient list.

Is the 100% just too hot to enjoy or do they actually change the ingredients/flavor?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I think 90% or 80% pain was the version I had last and it was one of my favorite sauces in recent memory. It's pretty hot without being extract-dangerous and had pineapples and habeneros pretty high on the ingredient list.

Is the 100% just too hot to enjoy or do they actually change the ingredients/flavor?

It's not just upping the spice level, it's a totally different type of sauce. If it was like the others and just unbearably hot, that's not necessarily bad, as everyone has different comfort levels. It just tastes bad.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll avoid it then, thanks. Since I have memories of it almost killing my grandpa I figured it was a gag gift, he's very sensitive to spicy food. I'll try out one of their other sauces though, I need to expand beyond Texas Pete & Louisiana.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'll avoid it then, thanks. Since I have memories of it almost killing my grandpa I figured it was a gag gift, he's very sensitive to spicy food. I'll try out one of their other sauces though, I need to expand beyond Texas Pete & Louisiana.

Where are you in the world? Try some local sauces, just about everywhere grows or processes it's own hot peppers nowadays.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Where are you in the world? Try some local sauces, just about everywhere grows or processes it's own hot peppers nowadays.

Colorado. So yeah...I've probably got some local options. Still wanna try that Original Juan Jamaican style tho

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Colorado. So yeah...I've probably got some local options. Still wanna try that Original Juan Jamaican style tho

I too am from Colorado (Fort Collins) and we have a local one up here called Horsetooth Hot Sauce, pretty amazing flavors. They do limited edition releases sometimes, and their carolina reaper/cranberries one is probably one of my favorites.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GobiasIndustries posted:

You're in the land of roasted green chillies​ stands! Lucky you.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bilbo Bellend posted:

YES!

I grow tons of hots and superhots (Ghosts, Carolina Reapers et al) and make a mash (http://www.pickl-it.com/410/3-way+pickled+peppers/) that I'll usually let sit for 3-6 months before adding distilled vinegar (I'm a purist for the fermented pepper flavors, and find that cider vinegar gives it too much of a "winey" taste), shaking, and butt-chugging. If you have a source for fresh peppies, this is the only way to fly.

I followed a recipe to make a fermented mash but I don't think it's working. The recipe called for red jalapenos, but I used habaneros instead. Otherwise I followed it exactly.

The recipe said after 1-2 days, the mason jar they're in would start fizzing and overflow, while the peppers will shrink. It's been almost a week and it hasn't done dick.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? :(

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Never used that specific jar type before, but the main question is what temp is the area where you have your peppers? What % salt did you use?

Also, I could actually see with the airlock system, your peppers may just not have gotten enough ambient inoculation, and you may actually want to take the airlock off for a few hours then put it back on to give the brine a chance to pick up more of the good airborne yeast.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's been fairly cool, like 60F. I should've mentioned the instructions are to loosely cap the jar so the water can fizz out.

The full process was: mash up 2lbs of peppers, stir in 1/4 cup pickling or sea salt (thinking back I just used Morton's), then let them sit out overnight, uncovered. Next day put in the jar and wait.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's been fairly cool, like 60F. I should've mentioned the instructions are to loosely cap the jar so the water can fizz out.

The full process was: mash up 2lbs of peppers, stir in 1/4 cup pickling or sea salt (thinking back I just used Morton's), then let them sit out overnight, uncovered. Next day put in the jar and wait.

I use a very similar method of making mash, perhaps even the same one (from Robb Walsh's hot sauce cookbook?) and FWIW I've never witnessed them fizzing. I've witnessed leakage residue which I assume is the aftermath of fizzing on one or two occasions; if you put a paper towel under the jar you might notice dried brine with a reddish hue one day. Mashes that I make this way have always turned out OK, even without fizzing. If the fermentation really kicks in then the final product might keep longer, but I've had mashes keep for 4-5 months in the fridge before going bad. I actually have some from October that I need to hurry up and use because it's in my fermentation jar...

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yes, that is the recipe I'm using! Thanks for the info. I have noticed a very small brown puddle on the paper towels, but I assumed it was from me opening the jar to see if I need to add more water. Definitely no visible fizzing, and I've needed to add maybe a total of 5mls water to the jar.

The peppers have not shrunk at all. I couldn't fit them all in the jar and have been waiting to add the extras (as instructed in the recipe), but there's still no room after 6 days. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give them another week or so. Should I put it in my windowsill or something?

I quite like the book, but this only the second recipe I've tried. The pico de gallo recipe on page 42 is quick and easy and delicious, I will vouch. I'm planning on trying the salsa verde on page 32 next :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've never seen pepper shrinkage either, but again I just roll with it. The peppers do get softer as they ferment so you can squeeze more in there if you want. I haven't tried doing that though, nor have I tried putting them in direct sunlight.

I was going to tell you to try other peppers besides red jalapenos but I see you're already doing that. I've done it with red fresno peppers and green jalapenos as well and it worked on both, the green jalapenos turned out particularly well. Gonna try some long hots next. Also, try the peanut sauce recipe near the back of that book!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a bunch of hot peppers planted. I'm tired and working with another gardener on this, so I can't remember exactly what kinds - there are some chillies and some habanero-shaped-but-not-habaneros of some kind too.

I want to make some hot sauce, but I'm not sure how to handle it when my peppers aren't all ripening at once. Any strategies? Should I hang them to dry? Should I freeze them? Throw them into a brine? Tell me, thread! FWIW they're only seedlings right now. I'm just thkning ahead.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

CommonShore posted:

I have a bunch of hot peppers planted. I'm tired and working with another gardener on this, so I can't remember exactly what kinds - there are some chillies and some habanero-shaped-but-not-habaneros of some kind too.

I want to make some hot sauce, but I'm not sure how to handle it when my peppers aren't all ripening at once. Any strategies? Should I hang them to dry? Should I freeze them? Throw them into a brine? Tell me, thread! FWIW they're only seedlings right now. I'm just thkning ahead.

I usually freeze them as they ripen then use a dehydrator when I have enough for a batch to turn into powder/flakes in a food processor.

I've got three types of Aji seedlings started this year (Aji Rojo, Aji Crystal, and Aji Bravo) and some wild chiles called quintisho.

Still haven't experimented with sauces although the past several posts about making a pepper mash sound really promising and I have access to a juicer at my house. Might make a carrot juice base to use with my habeneros.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Re: mustard talk from a few pages back, how come no UK goons recommended this beauty?

I was eating it by the spoonful when I was there

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pooper Trooper posted:

Re: mustard talk from a few pages back, how come no UK goons recommended this beauty?

I was eating it by the spoonful when I was there

Beaver mustard is good stuff. It's not a UK brand, though - unless I missed your meaning? It's made just a few hours away from me.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Beaver mustard is good stuff. It's not a UK brand, though - unless I missed your meaning? It's made just a few hours away from me.

I meant that I've only seen it in the UK, having never been to the states! :) I was actually wondering where it's made.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pooper Trooper posted:

I meant that I've only seen it in the UK, having never been to the states! :) I was actually wondering where it's made.

http://beavertonfoods.com/product/beaver-jalapeno-mustard-12-5-oz/

Dunno their shipping policies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If they won't ship it for a reasonable rate, PM me. It might even be cheaper than most places here because it's made locally, just like Tillamook cheese. I can buy their entire range, so if there's anything in particular, let me know. The Cajun mustard is delicious.