Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

this isn't 1998 anymore, what the hell doesn't have linux drivers nowadays

half arsed barely working drivers or 100% feature complete stable drivers ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

lol at everyone trying to own eschaton who assumed he wants linux to work like windows

also lol at anyone who still ityool 2017 dogmatically believes in forcing all drivers to live in the linux kernel source tree, it has been a policy of failure and pain for 25 years

and now we can see the dogma bear fruit, as the only big pain point with new computers is getting your nvidia-drivers glue shitfest to compile on a 4.10 kernel

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

jre posted:

fud fest

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does linux support wifi yet?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

lol at everyone trying to own eschaton who assumed he wants linux to work like windows

also lol at anyone who still ityool 2017 dogmatically believes in forcing all drivers to live in the linux kernel source tree, it has been a policy of failure and pain for 25 years

it's been a policy that has allowed linux to dominate every market sector where mmu-having general purpose processors are used with the sole exception of desktops, i'd say it's working pretty well for them

also please point me to another operating system that supports third-party GPU drivers from a previous major release with no involvement from the OEM

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in other news

https://lwn.net/Articles/719037/

about time. rip in piss mir and unity

(ubuntu is still trash but at least it's turning into trash that runs a mostly standard infrastructure stack)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Six years after making Unity the default user interface on Ubuntu desktops, Canonical is giving up on the project and will switch the default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME next year. Canonical is also ending development of Ubuntu software for phones and tablets, spelling doom for the goal of creating a converged experience with phones acting as desktops when docked with the right equipment.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what a long and expensive failed experiment.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

about time. rip in piss mir and unity

they join their brothers upstart and snap or snappy or whatever their nih flatpak competitor is called

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The_Franz posted:

they join their brothers upstart and snap or snappy or whatever their nih flatpak competitor is called

wait they killed snappy ?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jre posted:

wait they killed snappy ?

not yet but hopefully soon

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jre posted:

The drivers in the mainline kernel are generally far cleaner and less likely to poo poo themselves then if provided by the vendor. Mainly because cheap vendor drivers are notoriously poo poo and offer way to much garbage.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tankakern posted:

so much wrongposting

you're just describing how windows works, and complain that linux is not windows

if linux had that abi guarantee, it would be as bad as windows

lol if you think I'm specifically describing Windows here

I'm describing every operating system that has any sort of professional design applied

in that way Windows was relatively late to the game, but at least they're trying to get there

Linux still has a bunch of idiot nerdsplaining about how much binary drivers hate are freedoms and any measure against them is justified

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

pain? sure, definitely, for desktop users. it's a pain in the balls to deal with nvidia.

failure? I'm not seeing it. linux is wildly successful. substantially all drivers live in-tree. releases are frequent and easy. open source drivers are the norm even for enterprise hardware.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

Linux still has a bunch of idiot nerdsplaining about how much binary drivers hate are freedoms and any measure against them is justified

linux, to the extent that it is organized at all, is a multi-vendor consortium

the big firms that really run the project have absolutely no interest in helping people maintain drivers out of tree, because that might allow a competitor to get a leg up without contributing back. the incentives don't line up.

ibm and red hat and intel are not run by hippies concerned about your software freedoms. they just don't have any reason to help you maintain your binary drivers. it doesn't benefit them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

linux is what happens when you let self-hating libertarian turbonerds near a compiler

gnu is what happens when you then give them a couple lawyers

install windows, dehumanize yourself and face to a good operating system

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

The drivers in the mainline kernel are generally far cleaner and less likely to poo poo themselves then if provided by the vendor.

lol

Walked past my colleague the other day who installed linux on his work laptop 'to be more productive' . Was curious why he wasn't using the two 24" monitors everyone has ?
Every time he unplugs from the dock the laptop kernel panics. Stopped working after he did an update

This is after he had no sound for a month because of driver issues.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

linux is what happens when you let self-hating libertarian turbonerds near a compiler

no that's bsd

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jre posted:

lol

Walked past my colleague the other day who installed linux on his work laptop 'to be more productive' . Was curious why he wasn't using the two 24" monitors everyone has ?
Every time he unplugs from the dock the laptop kernel panics. Stopped working after he did an update

I assume nvidia or amd graphics card.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sapozhnik posted:

not yet but hopefully soon

hopefully LimeSDR will figure out something to use if they do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
anyway i just loaded up a game in Steam on Windows 10 and then quit out and suddenly my monitor just stopped displaying anything other than one POST screen even after disconnecting both the monitor and the computer from power, then I spent the next 20 minutes frantically connecting various combinations of computers, displays, and display cables praying I hadn't blown up an expensive as poo poo display or an expensive as poo poo gpu and finally I got the display showing a picture again

so i don't want to loving hear it about how gpu drivers on "real" operating systems are all pure and amazing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

it's been a policy that has allowed linux to dominate every market sector where mmu-having general purpose processors are used with the sole exception of desktops, i'd say it's working pretty well for them

what you say is the best kind of true (technically)

it only works when there's relatively tight control over hardware and software distribution. android is the biggest (or at least highest volume) linux success story, and the reason this poo poo doesn't matter there is that almost nobody gets their anroid updates from anybody but their hardware oem and/or carrier. if they get updates at all, lol.

this, however, is the yolotd thread, where we discuss conventional linux kernels and drivers and distributions targeted at mainstream pc hardware. the linux driver philosophy works for some types of pc hardware, but is a proven failure for others

mysteriously having a bunch of turbonerds shriek things like BUY INFERIOR HARDWARE and BLAME NVIDIA has failed to get users interested in running linux, especially the kind that don't even want to know what the gently caress a "kernel" is or why they should care about how ~~free~~ their software is

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use fedora and ubuntu for all my day to day stuff. Hobbies, paying bills, scanning documents and video manipulation are preferable to do in Linux for me.

I have not had hardware issues except when I used an older 16.04 instead of 16.04.2 on a computer with a months-old card. With 16.04.2, it worked flawlessly.

I have a windows computer but it is relegated to blizzard and steam games and I rarely have the time to switch it on anymore for a quick dungeon or auction house check.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

anyway i just loaded up a game in Steam on Windows 10 and then quit out and suddenly my monitor just stopped displaying anything other than one POST screen even after disconnecting both the monitor and the computer from power, then I spent the next 20 minutes frantically connecting various combinations of computers, displays, and display cables praying I hadn't blown up an expensive as poo poo display or an expensive as poo poo gpu and finally I got the display showing a picture again

so i don't want to loving hear it about how gpu drivers on "real" operating systems are all pure and amazing
this is ready damning if we can ignore common sense

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jre posted:

lol

some of our work laptops have these same issues every loving time windows 10 updates, please don't pretend gpu drivers aren't a giant shitshow on every platform

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

some of our work laptops have these same issues every loving time windows 10 updates, please don't pretend gpu drivers aren't a giant shitshow on every platform
nvidia laptop drivers are bad as such, yes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pain? sure, definitely, for desktop users. it's a pain in the balls to deal with nvidia.

failure? I'm not seeing it. linux is wildly successful. substantially all drivers live in-tree. releases are frequent and easy. open source drivers are the norm even for enterprise hardware.

i mean, we would have to get all serious and nuanced to get to a proper bottom of this, which would be out of place in this forum, but the discussion rather lept out of the desktop/laptop ambitions of the unix-clone linux, which has not been a success. servers sure, variants using the underpinnings with entirely/mostly non-unixy new userlands and controlled hardware, sure, to some extent as well. the ambition to become the workstation os for the average professional looked far more likely to succeed in the early years of last decade than it does now, and drivers have certainly been an ongoing issue

rather suspect that no choices would have left both server and workstation/consumer markets truly open, so poison picking mostly

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

The drivers in the mainline kernel are generally far cleaner and less likely to poo poo themselves then if provided by the vendor.

ratbert90 posted:

I assume nvidia or amd graphics card.

the kernels drivers are so superior , oh you wanted your graphics card to work ? You shouldn't have chosen a laptop with one from the two biggest discrete graphics card manufacturers

Lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jre posted:

the kernels drivers are so superior , oh you wanted your graphics card to work ? You shouldn't have chosen a laptop with one from the two biggest discrete graphics card manufacturers

Lol

Yes, if only Nvidia had their drivers as part of the mainline kernel or something. JFC.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nvidia doesn't give a poo poo about making their driver work reliably on linux so it works like poo poo on linux. somehow this is the fault of linux.

if they adapted their userland to talk to nouveau's kernel driver (and submit patches as necessary) then their poo poo would work and the kernel development community would be responsible for always presenting that stable abi that y'all like to stroke yourselves into a frenzy over. but they don't want to spend the engineering dollars on that, they just want to ship a lovely solution that crowbars their Windows driver into talking to the Linux kernel. and they don't even do a good job of that because they were by the sounds of things warned about this change to the kernel's dma subsystems well in advance.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
AMD are at least trying but they have a similar mentality: "we want to put a kernel abstraction layer into Linux to make Linux look more like Windows and if you don't like that then gently caress you we're taking our ball and going home"

https://lwn.net/Articles/708891/

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

nvidia doesn't give a poo poo about making their driver work reliably on linux so it works like poo poo on linux. somehow this is the fault of linux.

they do care because they sell truckloads of quadros and teslas to big customers, but those customers are likely using rhel or centos which is still on kernel 3.10 so they don't need to be too concerned with bleeding-edge kernels

Sapozhnik posted:

AMD are at least trying but they have a similar mentality: "we want to put a kernel abstraction layer into Linux to make Linux look more like Windows and if you don't like that then gently caress you we're taking our ball and going home"

to amd's credit, they are slowly refactoring it and trying to get it in shape for mainline

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

templeos would be the best gaming os in the world if nvidia, amd, valve, and game developers were not such ridiculous shitheads about it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

templeos would be the best gaming os in the world if nvidia, amd, valve, and game developers were not such ridiculous shitheads about it
source your quotes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so somehow this is Gods fault huh?!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, we would have to get all serious and nuanced to get to a proper bottom of this, which would be out of place in this forum, but the discussion rather lept out of the desktop/laptop ambitions of the unix-clone linux, which has not been a success. servers sure, variants using the underpinnings with entirely/mostly non-unixy new userlands and controlled hardware, sure, to some extent as well.

pc servers have totally uncontrolled hardware, just like your desktop. it used to be totally normal to get SCO and solaris drivers on the driver floppy that came with an expansion card, i poo poo you not. just random-rear end kernel drivers. maybe a readme if you were lucky.

there nothing special about desktops vs enterprise that made a fixed kernel ABI a necessity. it was just as useful to end-users in the enterprise as it was on the desktop, but as a multi-vendor consortium, core linux maintainers were more concerned with their competitive position than offering some kind of seamless experience for dudes with driver floppies

there's a reason we ended up here, and the reason is not user convenience or beardo ideology

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

To be fair, they are being civil and have removed a absolute monster amount of code and replaced it with native calls, and even admitted they screwed up and should have contacted the mainline maintainers first before trying to push 100,000 lines of garbage HAL code.

What a world to live in if they eventually do clean it up and it gets into mainline, where people will recommend AMD cards because they "just work" in Linux.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

a perfectly reasonable attitude on their part when the Linux clown show won’t provide a binary compatibility guarantee of their own

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eschaton posted:

a perfectly reasonable attitude on their part when the Linux clown show won’t provide a binary compatibility guarantee of their own

incredibly funny xkcd comic punchline: and now we have 2 competing graphics abis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

it's a source compatibility layer. amd has abandoned dumbass binary blobs in the kernel tree. they are making a real effort to get their kernel drivers into the mainline kernel.

amd still publishes a proprietary driver, but their end-goal is to have all the proprietary parts live in the userspace opengl/vulkan libraries, not inside a kernel driver.