Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

For real though, I have seen loads of heartbreak in the hospital. A father literally took a bullet for his son during a home invasion, got shot in the jaw and it hosed up his face real bad. At least both survived. Have also seen mothers die during childbirth, or the baby not make it, those are particularly hard. Normally, if you make it to a trauma center with vital signs, your chances of survival are really really good. If you arrive with a pulse and are completely conscience, the odds of survival are even better. Still, its always the ones that say "I'm dying" that end up dead, its weird, like they know for sure and this is their last utterance. Once had a guy come in after a motorcycle accident completely awake and aware. Start screaming that he was dying, he clearly needed surgery so we sent him to the OR. Controlled the abdominal injuries, but had major bleeding in the pelvis. The pelvis is a really hard area to access surgically, so usually we pack them full of pads to help clotting, then send them to the angio suite in radiology, where they embolize to control the bleeding. Anyways, this guy was fully conscience, put him under for surgery, which he survived but ultimately crashed and died in angio. That was a tough one. But one of the hardest cases ever was a trauma one I worked a while back, I was still a student at the time, but a senior so they let/trusted me to do more than usual. Anyway, we normally don't get a lot of backstory with the patients when they come in, usually its figured out later from either the patient, the family, or even the press. We get a patient thats been shot and we go to work. The presence of police sometimes helps inform us of the nature of how the injury was sustained too. This story was remarkable because the fighting involved managed to spill over into the resus bay (where we do the initial evaluation and make the decision to send straight to the OR, or off for testing to see if surgery is necessary). Anyways, a young kid comes in, looked to be 17 or 18 (later found out 19, still, he looked super young) after an assault. He was worked over real good, this was no fight, it was a beating. Like 12 seconds after he is rolled through the doors, they burst open with some guy and police in tow. Apparently this guy was the one who put him in that state, but the police didn't know it and were only pursuit because he was bursting into what should be a secure area (since we get a lot of shooting/stabbing victims, plus we handle the prison population, we have a full time police and sheriff presence aside from hospital security). Anyways, it turns out this guy was the father of the beaten dudes girlfriend, who was only 14 or 15. He was screaming at him for being a pedophile and deserved death and all kinds of things you expect to hear from a father whose daughter has been raped. The police manage to subdue the guy and take him elsewhere, not sure if he was ever charged or arrested. Keep in mind that in a trauma situation, you don't have time to learn all the facts and info, you just have what you have and need to make decisions based on that. At this time we had a kid looked to be about the same age as the girl he was dating, so there wasn't any judgement to be made. Anyways, we work on the kid and he is fully awake the entire time, we don't think there is internal bleeding, just the external cuts made from not a knife, but some rough, blunt metal, maybe like a crowbar edge or something. Eventually we realize the problem (a clotting factor deficiency combined with what was likely a pulmonary hemorrhage. He goes from ok to poo poo in seconds, he is struggling to breath and clearly about to die. He is trying to say something, maybe anything, just so he has some last words. I took off his oxygen mask and leaned in, asking him what he was trying to say. Through bloody breath, he spoke those words I will remember forever, the last words of some poor teenager beaten to death by his girlfriends father: "Actually it's called ephebophilia and..." And with that, he was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
from the r/relationships thread:

I [24 M] got lost in the city when very drunk, I started talking to a homeless woman who later started to perform fellatio on me. I can't remember giving consent and I was barely conscious. How do I deal with this and is keeping this from my girlfriend [23 F] of 5 years out of the question?

quote:

The first thing you might be thinking is that I'm possibly the trashiest man in the world? It's clear, even to me, that I have a drinking problem. What started off as a normal night out turned into shameful madness, I didn't give consent to anything sexual (at least I don't remember doing) but I put myself into a situation of not being in control of myself and this is a wake up call that I need to quit drinking altogether. Before I get into this I want to make it clear that my memory is extremely hazy, I can't remember much except for a couple of things and I'm doing my best to remember. Anyway lets get to it.
I was out with a few friends and we were hitting the bars pretty hard. I don't remember how but I got separated from them and I was too drunk to think straight so just started wandering the streets. I ended up sitting with and talking to a homeless woman who took all the money out of my wallet, for whatever reason I didn't care. At some point during my time with her she also stole my bank card and convinced me that she was going to withdraw some money for me to get a taxi home, I believed her but instead she took as much money as possible from my account. I was obviously stupidly drunk.
Anyway I have no idea what happened immediately after this, the next thing I remember is her giving me head in an alley. I was slouched against a wall I think, I'm pretty sure I wasn't hard and she asked me if I wanted to feel her boobs to get me in the mood. I said no, stopped her altogether and walked away. She was not attractive in any way, I remember she looked like a dirty witch and was probably in her 40s. I seriously doubt I would have initiated or implied I wanted anything like that, no matter how drunk I was.
I can't remember anything else after this other than walking the streets aimlessly on my own. I woke up in a hospital waiting room 10 miles away from the city center, I must have walked there because I can't imagine any ambulance drivers or doctors letting me sleep in a waiting room if I had been picked up.
So after waking up I made my way home where I found my girlfriend in tears. Apparently I had called her a couple of times telling her I was lost in the city, she had been expecting the worst after I didn't answer any further calls because my phone died. I told her everything I could remember except for the fellatio part, I never set out to keep this from her it's just that when it came to it I was scared of how it would effect the relationship and I didn't feel like I could let such a great relationship be damaged by something I didn't consciously agree to. I am planning on getting an STI test before doing anything sexual with my girlfriend again. If the results are fine then I don't think I am going to tell her. I just don't know what the best thing to do is.
Basically I'm asking for next steps and whether it is imperative that I tell my girlfriend.
tl;dr: Whilst unbelievably drunk and barely conscious I was robbed and sexually engaged by a homeless woman, I don't know what to do and I can't decide whether to tell my girlfriend.

purple death ray posted:

Fuckin baba yaga sucked my dick again, I'm going straight edge

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Whilst unbelievably drunk and barely conscious I was robbed and sexually engaged by a homeless woman, I don't know what to do and I can't decide whether to tell my girlfriend.

how does that conversation even start i'm drawing a blank tbh

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sebmojo posted:

"Honey, I apparently purchased some STDs recently."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

"Honey, I'm sure you've been wondering how I got herpes..."

e: :argh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gently caress

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Goddammit swickles!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

see, that's a long quote worth reading

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alaois posted:

see, that's a long quote worth reading

That was way better than Noni's attempts at creating a ~*Wacky Universe For You To Laugh At*~ agreed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sebmojo posted:

"Hey honey, I'm in the middle of doing my taxes and I'm wondering if you know whether I could claim the $60 I gave to that homeless lady to blow me next to a dumpster as a charitable donation. Oh, I didn't tell you? Ha! Well get this..."

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
From STDH thread

Captain Monkey posted:

Hot from the presses.

Danaru posted:

I love poo poo like this because they're laying down burns that would have been lame in junior high, but it's still the best they can come up with

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I stood silently for a minute and a half, waiting to get to the front of the line and WRECK THIS FUCKER with my filet o fish order

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

Nm 3 beers and 2 shots my bill was actually 6 dollars. gently caress I love living in wisconsin. Thanks for the thought.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress I love living in wisconsin.
the magic words! someone finally said them! i'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Pouring out some broccoli for my homie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Werong Bustope posted:

Idk anal is a time limited experience but having your rear end in a top hat bleached lasts for a while.* What if it looks terrible? Then you gotta walk around with a pearly white rear end in a top hat that just doesn't suit you.

*I assume, my anal bleaching knowledge is limited.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I feel like quotes from the relationship thread is just cheating.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Dennis System posted:

Therefore:

???

I don't understand physics and math, and I admit it's weird that if you attach a measuring device to one of the slits the interference pattern is no longer displayed, but how do you get something as bizarre and anti-occam's razor as multiple universes from these double slit experiments and some math? Seems crazy.

DaveSplitter posted:

Bet you that's the only slit those nerds are shooting things into.

simple yet magnificent

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pick posted:

the magic words! someone finally said them! i'm freeeeeeeeeeeee
[/quote]

That's pretty good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SplitSoul posted:

We woke up one morning and felt a little gassy
For sure it's the miasma of death

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Apr 7, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
... What?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death
I open up my wallet, and it's full of blood beans

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powaqoatse posted:

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death
I open up my wallet, and it's full of blood beans

Further explanation: it's from a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Further explanation: A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections. Written words created specifically for music or for which music is specifically created, are called lyrics. If a pre-existing poem is set to composed music in classical music it is an art song. Songs that are sung on repeated pitches without distinct contours and patterns that rise and fall are called chants. Songs in a simple style that are learned informally are often referred to as folk songs. Songs that are composed for professional singers who sell their recordings or live shows to the mass market are called popular songs. These songs, which have broad appeal, are often composed by professional songwriters, composers and lyricists. Art songs are composed by trained classical composers for concert or recital performances. Songs are performed live and recorded on audio or video (or in some, cases, a song may be performed live and simultaneously recorded). Songs may also appear in plays, musical theatre, stage shows of any form, and within operas.

A song may be for a solo singer, a lead singer supported by background singers, a duet, trio, or larger ensemble involving more voices singing in harmony, although the term is generally not used for large classical music vocal forms including opera and oratorio, which use terms such as aria and recitative instead.[1] Songs with more than one voice to a part singing in polyphony or harmony are considered choral works. Songs can be broadly divided into many different forms, depending on the criteria used.

Songs may be written for one or more singers to sing without instrumental accompaniment or they may be written for performance with instrumental accompaniment. The accompaniment used for a song depends on the genre of music and, in classical styles, the instructions of the composer as set out in the musical score. Songs may be accompanied by a single accompanist playing piano or guitar, by a small ensemble (e.g., a jazz quartet, a basso continuo group (in the case of Baroque music), a rock or pop band or a rhythm section) or even a big band (for a jazz song) or orchestra (for a classical aria). One division is between "art songs", "pop songs" and traditional music which includes "folk songs" and early blues songs. Other common methods of classification are by purpose (sacred vs secular), by style (dance, ballad, Lied, etc.), or by time of origin (Renaissance, Contemporary, etc.). Songs may be learned and passed on "by ear" (as in traditional folk songs); from a recording or lead sheet (in jazz and pop) or from detailed music notation (in classical music). Some instrumental music which is played in a singing style may be named a song, e.g., Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words for solo piano.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i think i like your old avatar better.. made you seem more charming FAU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Further explanation: :words:

A+ username/post combo there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FactsAreUseless posted:

Further explanation: A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections. Written words created specifically for music or for which music is specifically created, are called lyrics. If a pre-existing poem is set to composed music in classical music it is an art song. Songs that are sung on repeated pitches without distinct contours and patterns that rise and fall are called chants. Songs in a simple style that are learned informally are often referred to as folk songs. Songs that are composed for professional singers who sell their recordings or live shows to the mass market are called popular songs. These songs, which have broad appeal, are often composed by professional songwriters, composers and lyricists. Art songs are composed by trained classical composers for concert or recital performances. Songs are performed live and recorded on audio or video (or in some, cases, a song may be performed live and simultaneously recorded). Songs may also appear in plays, musical theatre, stage shows of any form, and within operas.

A song may be for a solo singer, a lead singer supported by background singers, a duet, trio, or larger ensemble involving more voices singing in harmony, although the term is generally not used for large classical music vocal forms including opera and oratorio, which use terms such as aria and recitative instead.[1] Songs with more than one voice to a part singing in polyphony or harmony are considered choral works. Songs can be broadly divided into many different forms, depending on the criteria used.

Songs may be written for one or more singers to sing without instrumental accompaniment or they may be written for performance with instrumental accompaniment. The accompaniment used for a song depends on the genre of music and, in classical styles, the instructions of the composer as set out in the musical score. Songs may be accompanied by a single accompanist playing piano or guitar, by a small ensemble (e.g., a jazz quartet, a basso continuo group (in the case of Baroque music), a rock or pop band or a rhythm section) or even a big band (for a jazz song) or orchestra (for a classical aria). One division is between "art songs", "pop songs" and traditional music which includes "folk songs" and early blues songs. Other common methods of classification are by purpose (sacred vs secular), by style (dance, ballad, Lied, etc.), or by time of origin (Renaissance, Contemporary, etc.). Songs may be learned and passed on "by ear" (as in traditional folk songs); from a recording or lead sheet (in jazz and pop) or from detailed music notation (in classical music). Some instrumental music which is played in a singing style may be named a song, e.g., Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words for solo piano.

Interestingly, the album F# A# ∞ contains examples of all of the above.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Monkey posted:

Lol what complications are there, its text in a file. Just select it like you were going to remove it, then instead of just hitting the big 'delete' key like you normally would on a new or interesting feature you just hit the letters g n o l l in order. Then probably enter or something.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
grovertub thread:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:discourse:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ah.
Explanation for my not getting the joke: I'm deaf, and have never heard of this song or this band.
:tipshat:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Ah.
Explanation for my not getting the joke: I'm deaf, and have never heard of this song or this band.
:tipshat:

Haha oh gently caress dude, I forgot I'm sorry :shobon:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You're fine. FAU going whole-hog trying to explain what this eldritch ritual called 'a song' is to a deaf man, on the other hand... :allears:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're fine. FAU going whole-hog trying to explain what this eldritch ritual called 'a song' is to a deaf man, on the other hand... :allears:

et tu brutus.

you killed me.

im dying

:pgabz:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:aaaaa: I can't imagine

fwiw, GY!BE has pretty good bass and video stuff going at their concerts. A deaf person told me once that they enjoyed that & obviously you're all the same

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:perfect:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't "try" to explain anything. I did explain it. That deaf guy knows what a song is now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't "try" to explain anything. I did explain it. That deaf guy knows what a song is now.

Thanks FAU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

The tone-deaf leading the deaf.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love these forums so much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

it was so thoughtful of all of you to just post this right into the good quotes thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

whiteyfats posted:

The Greyman, Albert Fish, possibly the most disturbing serial killer the US has ever produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/1928-murder-grace-budd-albert-fish-gallery-1.1277430?pmSlide=1.1277405

https://1peacekeeper1.blogspot.com/2011/07/two-confession-letter-of-albert-fish.html

This fucker was the Boogeyman, but real. loving terrifying in every way.

djssniper posted:

I think he escaped and got a job in a 70's british sitcom

whiteyfats posted:

Nah, if he was British, he'd have ate like 40 kids and nobody would do anything until he was dead.