Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Having someone pump your gas seems awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

More specifically southern Oregon.

Bay Area folk be rolling up like "what there's no sales tax here?? People pump your gas for you?!?! Truly it's a different land."

Huh. I didn't know that was still done these days.

Last time, I've been to a full service gas station was... when I was 5 years old...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
like... they barely pump your gas at that. It ain't full service, that's for sure. But yeah, it's kinda fuckin weird to hand your credit/debit card to a dude and say "fill it up" or "twenty bucks regular" or something.

I don't live there anymore so I can't comment to any sort of amount of card-skimming happening there.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Duke Chin posted:

More specifically southern Oregon.

Bay Area folk be rolling up like "what there's no sales tax here?? People pump your gas for you?!?! Truly it's a different land."

Now you've done it. That's one of the topics that, for some reason, goons can't shut the gently caress up about

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Now you've done it. That's one of the topics that, for some reason, goons can't shut the gently caress up about

But are you supposed to tip the gas jockey?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
When I was a young gas jockey, many many moons ago... I'm pretty sure I got tipped a grand total of one (1) times that I can remember so, no.

Also we didn't have real ice to play hockey on until about one (1) year before I moved away and now my goddamn high school has a team :argh:

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

...ok.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Holland losing McIllrath to Vegas would be hilarious.

e: in New Jersey, it's illegal to pump your own gas. Every station is full service.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Duke Chin posted:

When I was a young gas jockey, many many moons ago... I'm pretty sure I got tipped a grand total of one (1) times that I can remember so, no.

You did it wrong, You're supposed to fill the tank to like $23.47 and get the $25.

Also aside from Oregon, New Jersey is also 100% full service fuel. I've had many odd situations trying to bring a rental car back to Newark and trying to find a gas station at like 0500 and then there's some Mark Henry looking dude that is looking pissed that you drove up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Did you get your rear end kicked and/or wig split? :v:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

iospace posted:

Delayed, but three things. 1. The main school in Wisconsin with hockey is UW-Madison, commonly shortened to UW. UW-M is UW-Milwaukee, which doesn't have hockey :eng101:.

Secondly, Hockey is the one big four (five if you count soccer) sport where Chicago does NOT have a Wisconsin rival. Any expansion team will likely have a lot of resistance from the 'Hawks if Milwaukee is the primary city for consideration.

Thirdly, they built the Bradley Center in the 80s with the intention of drawing an NHL franchise and to give the Bucks a bigger arena (seriously, the Bucks' home was only 10k large at the time, so I don't blame them on that one). The NHL team never happened. The new Bucks arena is capable of hosting hockey games, but only on an "as needed" basis (read: NHL preseason and NCAA Frozen Four), meaning that the basketball court (or any other floor they use) will not have the insulation needed to have it on top of a permanent ice sheet.

As much as I'd love a Milwaukee franchise, the chance died when the NHL didn't bother with the Bradley Center.

As much as I wanted a team in Milwaukee before, I've reached the point where I'm happy to be an AHL town now. My half-season tickets only cost $320/year and I still get very high quality hockey, plus the team is way more accessable than you'd ever see in the NHL.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

You did it wrong, You're supposed to fill the tank to like $23.47 and get the $25.

Cheap rear end northern california transplants would no-joke want the change back. (also this was like 21-22 years ago hah)

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
My boss moved here 5 years ago from New Jersey and legit had no idea how to pump his own gas. Owned. Owned as all heck that my superior couldn't pump his gas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Infidel Castro posted:

As much as I wanted a team in Milwaukee before, I've reached the point where I'm happy to be an AHL town now. My half-season tickets only cost $320/year and I still get very high quality hockey, plus the team is way more accessable than you'd ever see in the NHL.

Yeah, and they seem to be very comfortable in the UW-Panther Arena. Apparently they signed a deal with the Bucks that prevents the latter from trying to get them to move back into the big arena.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dear las vegas, when it comes to your oilers pick, please don't take Pouliot, he's our best player and we love him and need him and he also comes with Desharnais who's also good and we like him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Dear las vegas, when it comes to your oilers pick, please don't take Pouliot, he's our best player and we love him and need him and he also comes with Desharnais who's also good and we like him.

Las Vegas picks Connor McDavid instead, after the GM forgets to protect him.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Are there any GMs stupid enough to accidentally expose a top player?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Benning (if he had a top player to expose)

(which he doesn't)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ken Holland

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

David Poile forgot to fax offers to RFAs one time so maybe.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wrong thread!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Ken Holland

The Wings are literally going to lose Mantha or AA when Holland protects Luke Glendening

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The Wings are literally going to lose Mantha or AA when Holland protects Jonathan Ericsson

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Infidel Castro posted:

Player accessibility is awesome for season ticket holders of AHL teams. As a multi year season ticket holder for WBS we get a special event where they have each player come around to our table and sign autographs and we get a few minutes to talk to them. It's pretty cool to have gotten to talk to a guy who I just watched score a goal in the NHL tonight. Also cheap good hockey is awesome. Plus, as a WBS season ticket holder I know I'm guaranteed to see players in the NHL by like the third week because of injuries.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They already lost Marchenko because of Nick Jensen, it's time for his hard-on for checking line work pail college guys to gently caress the forwards over

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mage_Boy posted:

Player accessibility is awesome for season ticket holders of AHL teams. As a multi year season ticket holder for WBS we get a special event where they have each player come around to our table and sign autographs and we get a few minutes to talk to them. It's pretty cool to have gotten to talk to a guy who I just watched score a goal in the NHL tonight. Also cheap good hockey is awesome. Plus, as a WBS season ticket holder I know I'm guaranteed to see players in the NHL by like the third week because of injuries.

It was really nice being a habs fan and having the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs a 10 minute walk from home and ice side tickets were $20. Then they moved to Newfoundland... :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This has probably been discussed, but what are the Golden Knights (Knights?) doing for an AHL team? Is another AHL-ready market going to get a team or are they sprinkling players around the league?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

This has probably been discussed, but what are the Golden Knights (Knights?) doing for an AHL team? Is another AHL-ready market going to get a team or are they sprinkling players around the league?

I believe the two options they've discussed are loaning their AHL players to other AHL clubs that are nearby or an ECHL partnership. Eventually the AHL will expand. It doesn't cost half a billion dollars (only a paltry 5 million I wanna say) but they also need to find a market for them or build a stadium or something.

Edit: here's an article from a few months about it if you're interested: http://thehockeywriters.com/vegas-golden-knights-goal-to-name-ahl-affiliate-this-month/

Apparently my information is all wrong, they might be affiliated with the Chicago Wolves:

quote:

Today the Wolves are in the final year of a three-year affiliation with the St. Louis Blues. They’ve had relationships with several NHL clubs since joining the AHL in 2001. Chicago was linked to the Atlanta Thrashers for 10 years, through the 2010-11 season. A two-year deal with the Vancouver Canucks followed. Regardless of what transpires with Vegas, it looks as if the Wolves three-year deal with St. Louis will be coming to an end. In November of last year it was reported that the Blues would not be continuing their relationship with Chicago, instead opting to do business with a new expansion franchise located in Missouri. Such a development, should it come to fruition, would of course make things easier for Vegas to finalize and agreement with the Wolves to be its top minor league club.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 7, 2017

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Are the Mavericks moving up into the AHL? I heard they were moving into Kansas City's vacant arena, so maybe those two things are related.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I believe the two options they've discussed are loaning their AHL players to other AHL clubs that are nearby or an ECHL partnership. Eventually the AHL will expand. It doesn't cost half a billion dollars (only a paltry 5 million I wanna say) but they also need to find a market for them or build a stadium or something.

Edit: here's an article from a few months about it if you're interested: http://thehockeywriters.com/vegas-golden-knights-goal-to-name-ahl-affiliate-this-month/

Apparently my information is all wrong, they might be affiliated with the Chicago Wolves:

As far as I know, the Blues are staying with Chicago, at least for another year. The KC deal fell through as the Mavericks owner said he doesn't want to do the AHL or something. I'm not entirely clear, but I thought Vegas might be trying to get an AHL team in Salt Lake City (the Grizzlies?).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe Thunder Bay could be their AHL team, lord knows our mayor has tried endlessly to get an AHL team here (we were sorta close to being the Jets farm club a couple years back).

It'd actually be pretty cool, but the plan was to build an 180 million dollar arena, even after both the federal and provincial gov't told us to gently caress off when we asked for help.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 7, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
they can capture that key sudbury-thunder bay market

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fits posted:

they can capture that key sudbury-thunder bay market

I know what this comes from, and it elicits a very hearty chuckle.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oak View is currently unveiling its proposal to redevelop Key Arena, the old home of the Supersonics, into an NBA/NHL compatible venue. This is one of two expected bids (along with AEG, renders here http://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/4/12/15275324/aeg-rolls-out-seattle-coliseum-plan-keyarena) to redevelop the Key, both of which are competing with Chris Hansen's SODO project.

Some coverage in this account. https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/852220786483920896

This plan looks weaker than the SODO proposal, but it may be what we get since the City owns Seattle Center and the Key and wants something done with it.

I just want a team. But it would not be ideal to end up with an arena nobody wants to play in a la Kansas City.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Portland already has an NHL ready arena

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Also they have given the Key Arena roof historical status for some goddamn reason (to gently caress up the plans, duh) so all groups there now have to work under that..

inferis posted:

Portland already has an NHL ready arena

Counterpoint - as a native Oregonian I feel qualified to say this: gently caress Portland

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The Knights hired Gerard Gallant to be their first head coach.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pizza valentine posted:

The Knights hired Gerard Gallant to be their first head coach.

Checks out

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's good or bad because I don't know anything about the Panthers other than Lu and Jagr.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Very fitting that the Knights would choose someone Gallant to lead them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Gallant is a good coach, I think. There were a lot of worse picks out there for your first coach, anyway

• Locked thread