Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the manga it was just him and we never see how he got the other cards. Presumably it was by dueling. I'm assuming that's the continuity they're treating his skills with since this game merges the manga and anime, though he never seems particularly impressive in either.

In fact, Bakura just kills him after dueling him offscreen during the manga of Battle City.

Ah, I haven't gotten that far in my reread, but I remembered how it played out in the anime. I'm at Joey vs. Mako now.

And speaking of Mako, he seems pretty solidly middle of the pack as far as they go. He had a respectable number of star chips when he dueled Yugi, and has four locator cards when he dueled Joey. Given the characters who make the final 8, Mako probably lost the last two to either Marik, Odion, or Ishizu, so there was some bullshit going on. As far as being a regular duelist goes he's not bad, just missing something to get him over the hump.

Like not dueling two main characters with their main character luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Not dueling main characters is a good way to get ahead, yes.

Also, Joey vs. Mako was a bunch of nonsense.

"I summon Panther Warrior and use this equip spell to attack your monster even though it's stronger than mine! However, by using Kunai with Chain, I can swing onto its back and attack its blind spot."

"Yes, but my Fortress Whale can spin and send your monster flying, which will cause it to have broken bones and internal injuries from the impact."

"Aha, but I played my additional equip spell card which zaps your Fortress Whale with electricity by channeling it through the sword Panther Warrior left stuck inside of it! And since you're over the ocean, all of your monsters are likewise electrocuted and destroyed!"

How the gently caress does this game work? :psyduck:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

\How the gently caress does this game work? :psyduck:
Duel Monsters is a bunch of nonsense and I love it.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They're playing Calvinball with some cards, of course!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Vauron posted:

They're playing Calvinball with some cards, of course!

This might just be the best way to actually play the TCG.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not dueling main characters is a good way to get ahead, yes.

Also, Joey vs. Mako was a bunch of nonsense.

"I summon Panther Warrior and use this equip spell to attack your monster even though it's stronger than mine! However, by using Kunai with Chain, I can swing onto its back and attack its blind spot."

"Yes, but my Fortress Whale can spin and send your monster flying, which will cause it to have broken bones and internal injuries from the impact."

"Aha, but I played my additional equip spell card which zaps your Fortress Whale with electricity by channeling it through the sword Panther Warrior left stuck inside of it! And since you're over the ocean, all of your monsters are likewise electrocuted and destroyed!"

I loving love that anime all over again

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The really stand out thing was that until that point, Battle City was pretty much using the actual rules of the card game. Then Mako came along, and suddenly they're talking about one of Joey's monsters almost drowning.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The really stand out thing was that until that point, Battle City was pretty much using the actual rules of the card game. Then Mako came along, and suddenly they're talking about one of Joey's monsters almost drowning.

I mean the first arc's Flying Catapult gambit (or the maze gimmick) could be excused as the card game wasn't out by the time it aired, but yeah - Battle City had no excuses.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Reshef of Destruction part 7

Now that we know where Ishizu is, the train station arbitrarily opens up for us.

You can challenge the conductor, but he has a surprisingly appropriate reaction.

We have to duel on the train again, and oh god do they have something fun in store!

The train opponents are the first in the game to begin with less than 8000 Life Points. The reason for this is because you have to fight FIVE of them in a row without saving.

If you're thinking the LP handicap is suspiciously kind of Konami to add, I should point out that the more duels I have to play without saving, the greater the chance a bad opening hand in any of them will send me back to the beginning.

Humorously, the conductor resolves to do his job in announcing our destination even after losing control of the train.

Can't really think of anything else to say about these jerks since they start at such low health.

Beating the fifth jerk is a "checkpoint" since you're now free to exit the area, save, and return.

And he ALMOST got me, too.

And just HOW did KAIBA get past all of that before me?!

He tells us to go on ahead while he blasts away the rest of them.

Keith is there waiting for us. Boy, it would be GREAT if we could have seen this coming. Like, if we had some kind of artifact that tells the future. It'd be even better if we could use some kind of mind control, or read minds. Too bad we don't have anything like that, huh?

OH RIGHT. So Keith threatens to hurt Ishizu if we don't give him the items.

He then uses them together with the Millenium Puzzle.

Hey look, it's Kuriball! What, you didn't know Kuriboh was a God card?

Predictably, a duel follows.

Extremely powerful Fiend attribute monsters are the theme here. Keith, in this duel, has a serious Achilles Heel that you actually don't see very often, but it's there. He does in fact have The Winged Dragon of Ra in his deck, but it's not the Ra you're expecting.

It's THAT. No attack points, no effect, and it still costs three tributes, yet the computer sees fit to summon it if given the chance anyways. The TCG actually came out with this card, but it was given a (rather excellent) effect that references its role in this game.

WHY do they keep making reference to this game?! Do they consider it the bastion of game design?!

Uh...Slifer wasn't in my deck, what the hell is this?

Well, at least I get him back afterwards. And Yugi gets the Puzzle back!

Dan Green returns!

Except, again, I have to point out he didn't actually summon the thing.

"How DARE you use us in a CHILDREN'S CARD GAME!"

Keith gets smited. I'm still amused whenever this happens.

Ishizu expresses pity for him even though he kinda deserves it.

Um...hooray? It's nice it has zero cost, I guess...

Ah, it's about time. We haven't had a dumb plot twist in awhile and it was getting worrisome.

Reshef is apparently able to possess the souls of defeated duelists or something, I wasn't paying attention.

Geez, Keith! That's twice in the same continuity you've smashed the puzzle!

Everyone sits COMPLETELY STILL while this guy backflips onto the scene, swipes the last puzzle piece, and backflips out.

The other one kidnaps Mokuba, because we'd gone too long without having that happen. Mokuba really is the Princess Peach of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Looks like we'll be returning to the Duelist Kingdom. It's...nostalgic, if nothing else.

This choice means nothing, but a guy can hope, right?

You built a Blue-Eyes White Dragon-shaped jet plane and you're saying that to ME?

...WHAT?!

Joey, you and Yugi WENT to Duelist Kingdom! You KNOW where the castle is! Hell, Kaiba should know where it is, but he's going alone, of course.

If you're thinking it's Paradox as in the Paradox Brothers, no, it isn't, but I can see where the confusion comes from.

Another character we haven't heard from quite yet makes a return, but for some stupid reason he was renamed "Paradox". Guess who.

SIMON MURAN FROM FORBIDDEN MEMORIES! Wow.

He tells us we need to fully awaken The Winged Dragon of Ra to stand a chance. Fine, whatever, another distraction.

And the only one who knows how...is Marik.

Back to Egypt yet again.

The Pharoah isn't here, genius.

Odion says Marik isn't seeing anyone, so you have the option to leave or challenge him to a duel.

Except for some wacko reason, if you choose to leave, Marik invites you in ANYWAYS. So you can avoid dueling Odion.

However, you should probably duel Odion, because if you can't beat him, you aren't ready for Marik or anything that comes after him.

In my case, the prize card was worth the effort!

We enter and explain everything to Marik.

Of course. He'll awaken Ra if we beat him in a duel. What else did you expect.

By the way, if you lose, get ready to sit through that entire cutscene AGAIN. ARGH.

He has several copies of some of the most bullshit cards in the game. This one stops you from attacking for a full three turns, allowing him to set up whatever he wants...and...sigh.

Back to the drawing board.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:ohdear:

Is this the part where you break out the completely loving broken strategy to tear this game in half?

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this the part where you break out the completely loving broken strategy to tear this game in half?

I really hope so. I'm only reading this Let's Play and I'm already sick of it's bullshit. Tear this game a new one it deserves no less.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you look to the left of this image, you'll see Kaiba's henchman, Hobson. Just one of the game's many cameos.

But never mind that, let's talk about Marik.

Now, I was going to wait until we got to the postgame (or at least some later bosses) before I started talking about how strong opponent decks are, but Marik is really the point where the game decides to stop giving a gently caress about pretending it doesn't hate your guts.

Marik's Deck posted:

Monsters:
---------
1x Cyber-Tech Alligator
1x Humanoid Worm Drake
3x Humanoid Slime
3x Worm Drake
3x Executor - Makyura
3x Revival Jam
3x Newdoria
3x Viser Des
2x Darkfire Soldier #1
1x Talons of Shurilane
1x Byser Shock
1x Des Volsgraph

Traps:
------
3x Widespread Ruin

Magic:
------
3x Swords of Revealing Light
3x Monster Reborn
2x Soul of the Pure
1x Harpie's Feather Duster
2x Raigeki
1x Pot of Greed
1x Spellbinding Circle

So, as we can see above, Marik can at any given time:

* Completely nuke your field of monsters. Twice. (Raigeki)
* Completely nuke your field of magic/traps. (Harpie's Feather Duster)
* Weaken your monsters. (Spellbinding Circle)
* Restore 2000 LP to himself. Twice. (Soul of the Pure)
* Bring back the last destroyed monster. Thrice. (Monster Reborn)
* Completely render you incapable of doing anything to him for potentially nine turns. (Swords of Revealing Light)

And those are just his Magic cards. He has three copies of a 1500 ATK monster that can clone itself when it's played on the field just to talk about one of his monsters.

But don't worry! This is just the mid-game speed bump! :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

That won't be available for a little while longer, but we'll get there eventually.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But don't worry! This is just the mid-game speed bump! :shepicide:

You know something? The TCG has a hard counter to Swords of Revealing Light and even lets all your monsters attack TWICE. Can you just imagine if Reshef of Destruction had that?

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 9, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It would certainly trim down on a lot of frustration, especially since pretty much everyone in this game runs three copies of SoRL after this duel. :argh:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

Geez, Keith! That's twice in the same continuity you've smashed the puzzle!

I was going to say something about how this could be the manga (not counting R) continuity, in which case Keith never broke the puzzle, but in the manga (not counting R) Keith is dead so I guess not! :v:

Ephraim225 posted:

If you're thinking it's Paradox as in the Paradox Brothers, no, it isn't, but I can see where the confusion comes from.

Is it still "Paradox" in the Japanese version of the game? Because they're called the Meikyu Brothers in the manga, so there would only be confusion for the English audience I guess.

Besides that, 7 years after this game came out we did get Paradox in Bonds Beyond Time! Another character that makes little to no sense and only serves as a minor temporary distraction in the grand scheme of things! (I haven't actually seen that movie, my only knowledge of it comes from the YGO:TAS version)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MissileWaster posted:

Besides that, 7 years after this game came out we did get Paradox in Bonds Beyond Time! Another character that makes little to no sense and only serves as a minor temporary distraction in the grand scheme of things! (I haven't actually seen that movie, my only knowledge of it comes from the YGO:TAS version)

:raise:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

His backstory makes more sense if you've seen 5D's, from what I understand. Something about the main villains of the WRGP.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MissileWaster posted:

Paradox is tied in to 5D's late plot. He was part of the final boss' entourage, apparently went off on his own at some point, but shares their goal of preventing Duel monsters from destroying the world, no matter how much of the timeline they have to derail and make worse.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

He would have won, too, if not for the Crimson Dragon pulling out bullshit time travel powers.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

That is around the point LittleKuriboh stopped just taking the piss out of the actual story and started making dozens of pop culture references, so I definitely am missing a lot of the story. And if it's tied closely to 5D's I figure I should probably get around to watching that first. But you're right, trying to prevent a card game from destroying the world by traveling through time to play said card game with the fate of the world on the line makes perfect sense in or out of context.

Also, forgot this in my last post but

Ephraim225 posted:

Dan Green returns!

Dan Green never left, he voices both Yugi and Atem :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MissileWaster posted:

That is around the point LittleKuriboh stopped just taking the piss out of the actual story and started making dozens of pop culture references, so I definitely am missing a lot of the story. And if it's tied closely to 5D's I figure I should probably get around to watching that first. But you're right, trying to prevent a card game from destroying the world by traveling through time to play said card game with the fate of the world on the line makes perfect sense in or out of context.

:raise:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MissileWaster posted:

Also, forgot this in my last post but

Dan Green never left, he voices both Yugi and Atem :v:

Cast

Yugi Muto : dan green
Yami Yugi : DAN GREEN

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MissileWaster posted:

Except it actually does make sense in context because the yugioh world literally revolves around card games?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It would certainly trim down on a lot of frustration, especially since pretty much everyone in this game runs three copies of SoRL after this duel. :argh:

Well guess what I did.

Graphic is less than perfect, but the card effect 100% works.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the game might actually be playable now. :golfclap:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ephraim225 posted:

Well guess what I did.

Graphic is less than perfect, but the card effect 100% works.

Genuine question: if you need to hack the game to get a modicum of enjoyment out of it, why play it?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Its like modding bethesda games. Its just better this way.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Senerio posted:

Genuine question: if you need to hack the game to get a modicum of enjoyment out of it, why play it?

Well, like I said before, this game could have been the best Yu-Gi-Oh game ever at the time with just a few simple changes that you'd think would have been obvious to the original developers. So at first I thought, "I'll just adjust the numbers and call it a day" but then I started to learn ASM for other purposes, I found the Yu-Gi-Oh speedrunning community and what they'd unearthed, and that's when the ambitions of REALLY revamping the game started to set in. Since I'm rather dissatisfied with the TCG, I thought maybe I could come up with something more to my own taste. That's why everyone mods games, I'm sure. The only thing holding me back from going big with this stuff is that most people might not actually care about it, and I don't blame them. So I was mostly "yes I am, no I'm not" with the whole project until I "accidentally" solved the worst problem Reshef of Destruction has.

I guess I can sum it all up as saying "loving around with the ROM lets me train myself at ASM and is a fun hobby if nothing else".

Also, I'd have hacked Sacred Cards, but that game has no multiplayer.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

for the enjoyment of goons and to test ones of skill

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
This game suffers from the same problem I had with Megaman Battle Network: it's set in a modern world where everything consequential is decided by playing a completely arbitrary and inconsequential game.

"You've foiled my plans again, Lan Yugi! But why am I not simply pointing a gun at your head?"
because 4Kids removed them all

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The thing about Yu-Gi-Oh is that the card game typically is played by people with magical powers, so it tends to be quite dangerous.

Unfortunately for this game's plot, no one in this game has magical powers, especially since the PC is the only one that has the Millennium Items.

The closest candidates to people with real power right now would be the God Card users and presumably Pegasus.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MR. J posted:

This game suffers from the same problem I had with Megaman Battle Network: it's set in a modern world where everything consequential is decided by playing a completely arbitrary and inconsequential game.

LOL if you don't think that this is loving epic and the best part of both series

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if these games operated by normal rules that would make the scene where Lan hurls his PET at a dude's head way less awesome in-context and Actually gently caress You if you don't think that scene owned thanks

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
and anyway, cards have multiple purposes. Just ask Axel, he uses them as ammo in his gun.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Cool triple post.
And that scene is awesome simply because it's that universe's equivalent of throwing a gun that's out of ammo, and it actually worked.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

MR. J posted:

"You've foiled my plans again, Lan Yugi! But why am I not simply pointing a gun at your head?"
because 4Kids removed them all

Not everything consequential in MMBN is decided by netbattling!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

MR. J posted:

I would think deleting computer viruses and destroying the villain's only method of interfacing with technology (i.e. his Net Navigator) would be much more believable than an arbitrary and inconsequential game.

...Then again Lan is the only one who seems to use Battle Chips, and he still draws them at random from a stack of 30...ah hell, forget it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
when I outgrew yugioh the first time, I remember also thinking that card games determining the fate of the world was dumb, but now, as a jaded adult sustaining himself on nostalgic media, I think it owns and is good

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tbh I'm not sure what else you could possibly expect from an anime about a card game. The stakes are obviously gonna escalate and they're not just gonna drop the focus of the show when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ive been watching GX for the first time and whenever someone gets hurt by a monster attacking them directly I lol. Its so stupid.

• Locked thread