Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

syscall girl posted:

Anyone have replacement suggestions for Save File to (crucial one), imgur .gifv (meh), or Strict pop-up blocker (don't know if this even works tbqh)?

Save link in folder still works; it's marked as incompatible with e10s but it seems fine to me.

Stupid as it is to replace an addon that was abandoned a year ago with one that's been abandoned for 4 years, that's firefox these days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Save link in folder still works; it's marked as incompatible with e10s but it seems fine to me.

Stupid as it is to replace an addon that was abandoned a year ago with one that's been abandoned for 4 years, that's firefox these days!

Don't get me wrong, those all still work, with E10S forced on. I was under the impression that as the rollout continues certain apps are getting left behind entirely at some point though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can anyone recommend a replacement extension for Web of Trust?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can anyone recommend a replacement extension for Web of Trust?

Do you really need one? I mean the entire concept behind it has been obsoleted by the switch to proactive and comprehensive adblocking and better filtering on major search engines.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fishmech posted:

Do you really need one? I mean the entire concept behind it has been obsoleted by the switch to proactive and comprehensive adblocking and better filtering on major search engines.

So uBlock Origin will do the job nicely?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

syscall girl posted:

Anyone have replacement suggestions for Save File to (crucial one), imgur .gifv (meh), or Strict pop-up blocker (don't know if this even works tbqh)?

For strict pop-up blocker, you could try:

https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-uS/firefox/addon/simple-popup-blocker/
https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-uS/firefox/addon/popup-blocker-lite/
https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-uS/firefox/addon/popup-blocker/

Maybe one of those will work and is compatible.

You could also use uBlock Origin to disable all popups for select websites, or disable popups entirely with the user rule:
no-popups: * true

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So uBlock Origin will do the job nicely?

Yeah like really, uBlock Origin will give the sort of protection from malware sites that WOT used to be ok for.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
uBlock Origin has replaced all the old privacy/adblocking extensions I used to use. ABP, Ghostery, NoScript, the whole lot of em.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

xamphear posted:

uBlock Origin has replaced all the old privacy/adblocking extensions I used to use. ABP, Ghostery, NoScript, the whole lot of em.

uBO is good, and covers a whole lot. But I still add in Self-Destructing Cookies to nuke any trackers that do get through, and BetterPrivacy to handle any Flash supercookies (not that I get many of those these days).

Sites may still recognize you via browser fingerprinting (and of course your IP), but they don't act like it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I know it's a long shot, but is there a way to restore Firefox behavior with touch screens back to what it was in 50? They implemented a bunch of hot garbage in 51 and 52 and I can't use scroll bars anymore or drag to select text, long-press-to-right click has a different timing (!) from the native Windows one, and doing that on a blank part of any website insists on randomly selecting a nearby word, giving me the wrong selection of context menu items. Single tapping a tab to select it fails to register four out of five times; I'm sure I'm doing it wrong according to Mozilla.

Messed around in about:config based on some google links, but everything breaks it even more.

I really don't see anything here that can be considered an improvement, apart from -in theory- the handles to extend text selections. The implementation is terrible though.

Restored 50 from backup and all the woes are instantly gone, but that's ultimately going to be untenable in the near future, if it isn't already. 45 ESR doesn't sound too attractive either.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there any way to force tabs into the titlebar when FF isn't fullscreen? The extension I used to do it with broke in 52.0.1 or .2
I hate the wasted space up top that I never click on

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I don't remember all the details of how I built the CSS selector, but I use this in my userChrome.css:

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/***** collapse the margin above the tab bar *****/

#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen])[chromehidden~="menubar"] #toolbar-menubar ~ #TabsToolbar,
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive] ~ #TabsToolbar {
   margin-top: 5px !important;
}
Set the margin-top to whatever you like.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is there any way to force tabs into the titlebar when FF isn't fullscreen? The extension I used to do it with broke in 52.0.1 or .2
I hate the wasted space up top that I never click on

You could try the new "Compact Light" theme. It removes the titlebar entirely. It is a built-in theme. Just go to Customize and it will be in the theme list button on the bottom-left.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

You could try the new "Compact Light" theme. It removes the titlebar entirely. It is a built-in theme. Just go to Customize and it will be in the theme list button on the bottom-left.

Avenging Dentist's script up there works perfectly fwiw. Very lightweight too.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nalin posted:

That's still in beta afaict, I'll try it when it's out

Avenging Dentist's css set to 0px gives what I was looking for in 52 though, so thanks!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Malloc Voidstar posted:

That's still in beta afaict, I'll try it when it's out

Avenging Dentist's css set to 0px gives what I was looking for in 52 though, so thanks!

Oh, you are right! I've been on version 53 longer than I thought. Well, it will only be two weeks longer I guess.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I moved to Vivaldi like a month ago and haven't bothered to fire up Firefox after that. Vivaldi doesn't supposedly track you as much as chrome, but supports the same add-ons. Has built-in tree style tabs and all that, and it feels a lot faster, especially the ui. I understand FF is fast without addons, but unlike Vivaldi, FF is also terrible without addons.

Edit: Vivaldi's updater works too. It gives a pop-up when update is available and asks the admin password when installing the update. It just works.

Firefox updater doesn't work. I only noticed updates were available when the thread title changed, and I had to manually download the builds off ftp.mozilla.org

Once I got the update notifications to work, but the updater always failed to download and install the updates.. it was a mystery. I'm glad I got off the sinking ship called Firefox.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 6, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can Vivaldi block ads on mobile?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loved using Vivaldi, but i could never work out how/why i could never get any audio to play on videos on YT or while watching Twitch streams. So just stuck with Chrome, use the same extensions/addons that i used on firefox in chrome @ Vivaldi and chrome performs so much better then firefox, it was like i was using an 386 PC when using Firefox clicking menu's took forever to open opening tabs took forever wereas Vivaldi @ Chrome perform like there on some good juice.

if it weren't for the audio issue i would be using Vivaldi 24/7 such a nice looking browser

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ola posted:

Vivaldi doesn't have a mobile browser yet but they're working on it. Download Brave instead. Basically Chrome with built-in adblocking, HTTPS Everywhere and a few other security and privacy niceties.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm using firefox on mobile. It's ok with ublock when you have 6GB of ram and S820. Not the fastest browser, but usable, and crashes only once a day or so.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:This is not the Vivaldi thread. If you want to discuss Vivaldi, make a new thread, do not do it here.:siren:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

I'm using firefox on mobile. It's ok with ublock when you have 6GB of ram and S820. Not the fastest browser, but usable, and crashes only once a day or so.

I use firefox on mobile too, ublock is great and I only use a browser on my phone if I really have no other options so it's good enough for that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Firefox on mobile is working relatively fine on my aging Sony Z3 Compact, no crashes but some jerks and slowdowns now and then. I'll stick with it on both platforms until the ship is actually under water, due to adblock and tab/bookmark sync. I guess there are other ways to sync stuff between devices, but I like to keep my stuff in as few sinking ships as possible.

Firefox is the worst browser suite, apart from the others I've tried.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ok, so I made a new profile and Tree Style Tab is working again.

One feature I miss from Tab Tree though, is an unrelated feature where a maximised browser would have its titlebar removed, pushing the navbar up to the very top of the screen, giving me more vertical screen space.

TBH I'd like to just do that for all windows, not just maximised, is there a good way to do that?

Also is there a good replacement for Clean Links, as that hasn't updated since 2011 and doesn't do Google Shopping links.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lum posted:

Ok, so I made a new profile and Tree Style Tab is working again.

One feature I miss from Tab Tree though, is an unrelated feature where a maximised browser would have its titlebar removed, pushing the navbar up to the very top of the screen, giving me more vertical screen space.

TBH I'd like to just do that for all windows, not just maximised, is there a good way to do that?

Also is there a good replacement for Clean Links, as that hasn't updated since 2011 and doesn't do Google Shopping links.

Clean Links doesn't seem to have a Mozilla addon page for it anymore, so I can't quite see what it does.

Is this similar?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dont-track-me-google1/

It is what I use to fix Google search results.

Also, from what I can tell, Google Shopping results don't have the actual URL in the link. Clicking the link results in a 302 that THEN includes the actual URL, so I'm not sure how a link cleaner would work without actually visiting every URL.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

Clean Links doesn't seem to have a Mozilla addon page for it anymore, so I can't quite see what it does.

Is this similar?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dont-track-me-google1/

Clean Links did any URL that had another URL in it. Occasionally this broke things (eg. SourceForge) but you could whitelist those.

I guess I'll just rip it out of my old profile :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ola posted:

Theres the Ghostery mobile browser.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Anyone else who uses Youtube Center, do you have the 1080p option? When I disable YoutubeCenter (Greasemonkey script version), I get it working just fine. But having YTC enabled limits me to 720p and below.

I've read the bugs on YTC's github, and all of them are old or talk about ensuring DASH playback is enabled, which it is, and the player mode is HTML5. People keep saying HTM5 + 1080p isn't possible in Firefox, but that's obviously untrue since it works fine when I disable YTC. Hell, it doesn't even work when I use Flash in YTC, and toggling DASH has no effect either.

Anyone else run into this? I know YTC hasn't been updated for quite some time until recently, so maybe it's just broken. Any alternatives, then, if that's the case?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I also have YTC via Greasemonkey and 1080p works fine :shrug:
Do you use the developer version? Everything else is kind of dead.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, been using the dev version. I even tried the addon version instead, and I tried resetting all settings -- no dice. Weird.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
If you want a nice YTC alternative, try Youtube High Definition. I've been using it for a long time, and it doesn't have the kind of issues you YTC guys are always reporting. It's simple but does exactly what I need:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

If you want a nice YTC alternative, try Youtube High Definition. I've been using it for a long time, and it doesn't have the kind of issues you YTC guys are always reporting. It's simple but does exactly what I need:

Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a shot, but found it broke the video layout when I tried to make it expand and fill the page. I mainly use YTC to ensure the video is always about 90% of the screen height/width, and shove everything else below it. Looks like this one tries to do that, but the actual video is offset inside the player. Could be something on my end, though, and probably is.

cebrail posted:

I also have YTC via Greasemonkey and 1080p works fine :shrug:
Do you use the developer version? Everything else is kind of dead.

Would you mind copy/pasting your settings, by chance? Wonder if there's just something specific about my config that borks it. Might try a new profile as well to see if that has any effect, since god knows what I've done with this one at this point.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sure.
https://pastebin.com/hKCJLjEu

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Buff Skeleton posted:

Anyone else who uses Youtube Center, do you have the 1080p option? When I disable YoutubeCenter (Greasemonkey script version), I get it working just fine. But having YTC enabled limits me to 720p and below.

I've read the bugs on YTC's github, and all of them are old or talk about ensuring DASH playback is enabled, which it is, and the player mode is HTML5. People keep saying HTM5 + 1080p isn't possible in Firefox, but that's obviously untrue since it works fine when I disable YTC. Hell, it doesn't even work when I use Flash in YTC, and toggling DASH has no effect either.

Anyone else run into this? I know YTC hasn't been updated for quite some time until recently, so maybe it's just broken. Any alternatives, then, if that's the case?

are you forcing it to use the html5 player in the ytc settings? I haven't had any issues with missing qualities, but I leave it on default now. But I sorta remember that certain extensions that forced youtube to play in html5 (when they were just starting to roll it out) would only do 360 and 720.

Youtube doesn't hide quality options unless you're using an old OS, allegedly (pre w. 7, os x 10.10 for firefox). But I'm not sure how it's figuring that out, because I changed my useragent to something supported and it still won't show all the quality options (on an old iBook).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zenostein posted:

are you forcing it to use the html5 player in the ytc settings? I haven't had any issues with missing qualities, but I leave it on default now. But I sorta remember that certain extensions that forced youtube to play in html5 (when they were just starting to roll it out) would only do 360 and 720.

Youtube doesn't hide quality options unless you're using an old OS, allegedly (pre w. 7, os x 10.10 for firefox). But I'm not sure how it's figuring that out, because I changed my useragent to something supported and it still won't show all the quality options (on an old iBook).

If your browser doesn't support the relevant media source extensions, you won't see all the quality options. See youtube.com/html5 for more information.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

astral posted:

If your browser doesn't support the relevant media source extensions, you won't see all the quality options. See youtube.com/html5 for more information.

Hm, I guess that fork of firefox is way older than I thought. Although now I guess I need to figure out why it doesn't do h.264, when safari/webkit does.
Well, from that, if you have vp8 but not h.264, you can only get 360, and h.264 will get you up to 720. So that's educational, at least.

I guess it makes sense that they'd have a better way to figure out what you're using than useragent.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks for this! It works with your settings. Now to figure out what about my previous config broke it.

[Edit] Apparently it's auto-play. When that's enabled, it only fetches up to 720p, but if I turn it off, I can click and then it loads every option. Super weird, but hey, whatever!

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 8, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zenostein posted:

fork of firefox

There's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

astral posted:

There's your problem.

Well, I know that. I'm also sure as hell not trying to watch 1080 youtubes on a 13-year-old macintosh laptop…

I actually did that to get to youtube's "missing options?" page, since I knew I could get to it from there.