Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Wikkheiser posted:

I've been on a Troubles kick because, well it's just interesting, and goddamn was it crazy. Maybe because it was an actual sectarian-insurgent-counterinsurgent war in the English speaking world in our lifetime.

It's seriously a weird and mind blowing thing to see a bunch of English speaking people fighting each other like it's the middle east or some poo poo. I seriously still cannot wrap my head around it, due in part to the fact I've only read a little bit about the causes and timeline of the troubles. I need to change that.

Wikkheiser posted:

and because foreign observers sympathized with them as the "good guys."

Weren't there a bunch of shitheads in the US who supported them financially?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mike-o posted:

Oh yeah. I don't know the specifics but that's why the Armalite was such a symbol, and the American IRA sympathizers were shipping weapons before the Reagan-era automatic weapons ban. Later on after things went south between the U.S./U.K. and Gaddafi, you start seeing Libyan AK-47s pop up.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Mike-o posted:

I read Patriot Games when I was a kid, so I can confirm this is true. Video footage was later acquired of CIA agent Han Solo punching out one of these guys.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Derek Dominoe posted:

I read Patriot Games when I was a kid, so I can confirm this is true. Video footage was later acquired of CIA agent Han Solo punching out one of these guys.
But they made the IRA seem so sexy. Sean Bean :bigtran:

Also I have to credit the movie makers into adding dissonant Irish whistles when the terrorists show up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhDO1G0ieY

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The IRA also had some serious homemade ordnance, like this thing which is basically the same as those "hell cannons" that have been used extensively in Syria.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrack_buster

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Read up on the Miami Showband Massacre, it's a great little example of how hosed the Troubles were.

Also the movie '71 is good and people should watch it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It'd be an interesting place to visit. Looks really charming in fact. I've been taking myself on these Google Maps street tours, and since the time of the photographs are not always the same, you can see the more militant murals get taken down.

Move the camera, and the big UVF painting on the side of the building isn't there anymore. There was also a closed-down militant pub called THE REBEL in a Catholic neighborhood with shamrocks and IRA/RAAD graffiti all over the drat thing. The neighborhood affiliations are still very apparent though.

ONH is "Óglaigh na hÉireann" or an IRA splinter group. They kneecap drug dealers which I suppose that for ideological reasons, if the war is over, then you want to play the long game and stopping dealers is way of strengthening the community over time. Or alternatively, ONH are gangsters and vigilante attacks are a way to inflict terror on local opposition under an "anti-drug" philosophy (while the group monopolizes the local drug trade).

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhrSdFOJH8&t=176s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

they dead

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Were those suicide vests detonating or did they just use explosives on some unarmed dudes?

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Buca di Bepis posted:

Were those suicide vests detonating or did they just use explosives on some unarmed dudes?

Suicide vests.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda bizarre how many people in that video seem to think that taking cellphone video is clearly the thing they need to be doing in this tense short-distance standoff they found themselves in.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda bizarre how many people in that video seem to think that taking cellphone video is clearly the thing they need to be doing in this tense short-distance standoff they found themselves in.
Like the finale of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly except one is filming with a cellphone

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Wikkheiser posted:

Like the finale of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly except one is filming with a cellphone

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who film. You film.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mike-o posted:

One of them is a serving member of congress!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King#Support_for_the_IRA

The best part,

posted:

In a 2005 interview King said he had "cooled on Ireland", blaming an epidemic of what he called "knee-jerk anti-Americanism" that swept through Ireland after the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. "I don't buy that it's just anti-Bush. There's a certain unpleasant trait that the Irish have, and it's begrudgery ... and resentment towards the Americans."

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Was that a fight or an execution?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Thought that was car parts flying for a second until I replayed the video and saw there wasn't any car there

:gonk:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol Peter King is a dumbass. I wonder if anyone in the IRA ever told him about its affiliation with the political left and the PLO.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Zeris posted:

Terms of surrender with four ISIS suicide guys were brief and ultimately fell apart.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Derek Dominoe posted:

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who film. You film.

Officer #1: [repeating through megaphone] The one with the camera phone shoots!
Officer #2: [handing out camera phones] One out of two gets camera phone.
Officer #1: The one without, follows him! When the one with the camera phone gets killed, the one who is following picks up the camera phone and shoots!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

vid was timelinked at a bad spot, buncha martyrs fake surrendering

reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVDOPWNosW0

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

glynnenstein posted:

Terms of surrender with four ISIS suicide guys were brief and ultimately fell apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

War Nerd just had a great episode about the Troubles. He was really involved with The Cause in the 80's to the point of being tailed by local cops and being on that list cooked up by Israel and South Africa. He gave a great explanation of how sectarian conflict works and how pointing to religious affiliation misses the point in both Ireland and Iraq.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Godholio posted:

Officer #1: [repeating through megaphone] The one with the camera phone shoots!
Officer #2: [handing out camera phones] One out of two gets camera phone.
Officer #1: The one without, follows him! When the one with the camera phone gets killed, the one who is following picks up the camera phone and shoots!

Lol this needs more love

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Wikkheiser posted:

lol Peter King is a dumbass. I wonder if anyone in the IRA ever told him about its affiliation with the political left and the PLO.

It's all about flags flegs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JqKxrloQQ

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

aphid_licker posted:

That civilian kill ratio for loyalist paramilitaries, yikes.

Mostly due to the "Loyalists" constantly trying to false flag the IRA with civilian casualties instead of actually fighting the IRA. The whole thing was a nightmare for the two actual countries (UK and Ireland) witht heir two retard little brothers (UVF/UDF and the IRA) feeling the need to support them with force instead of just cleaning house on their end.

Anglican as gently caress, really

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Edit: wrong thread.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

:psyduck:

The loyalist paramilitaries were some scary people. I want to read more about them and also about collusion between them and the security forces. A lot of the easiest stuff to find, videos and such, are about the IRA. My guess is that's because all sides in the conflict had an interest in focusing on them, either because they were the "bad guys" in the British press, because the IRA's propaganda machinery played into this as well, and because foreign observers sympathized with them as the "good guys."

"Big Boys' Rules" by Mark Urban (diplomatic editor on the BBC's Newsnight) is very good for this - it only covers up until the mid-late 80s but it's a good, impartial overall look at the British approaches to the troubles from various angles (police, military, MI5, and how these parties all trod on each other's toes with regard to informers and various other things) and has a lot of stuff on security service/police collusion with loyalists, as well as info on things like the "shoot to kill" policy. It's a really interesting read for anyone interested in the Troubles.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://m.imgur.com/pWtlTTV?r

Lol

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I get that it's funny to gently caress with people, but doing that as an instructor during training is supremely dumb.

We have pretty severe rules against that due to the whole crying-wolf-desensitizing mechanic.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

how is this not an av

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I get that it's funny to gently caress with people, but doing that as an instructor during training is supremely dumb.

We have pretty severe rules against that due to the whole crying-wolf-desensitizing mechanic.

Did instructors do any of that poo poo to y'all in training?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Did instructors do any of that poo poo to y'all in training?

Nah, the poo poo instructors do in glorious Deutschland is leagues more inane and dumb.

One of our outgoing E-6s that liked me once hid a DM22, which is basically a giant loving blank grenade for training purposes, under my pillow as a parting gift. He did not understand the concept of me not wanting to unknowingly sleep on live munitions, nor having controlled items in my possession. In hindsight, I should have just sold that poo poo or hosed with someone else.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

I need to go scrap some money togeather cause my avatar is just sad.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zeris posted:

how is this not the background of GIP

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/849939419721236480

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

And outside the battlefield, there's always drive-bys.

im the dreamcatcher on the rearview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
No explosions, but miltech: https://www.x20.org/color-night-vision/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTgG2Ft4xQ

You can point it at the sun too and it'll be fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpBg6fZThdY