Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I keep clearing my cache to keep the game from crashing so resources are p much unlimited for me :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Wait what resources are limited? I'm p far along and haven't uh... ever not been able to pop out for a crystal or two.

Most of them. If you don't clear cache the crystals and stones don't respawn, and the play area is limited. It'll come up fast if you're making giant glass fortresses without the Prawn.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Yeah but why make a giant glass fortress without a PRAWN though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Huh, I definitely haven't embarked on any ambitious building projects yet so that's interesting.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
For me, Silver was the bitch material. It's a base component for Wiring Kits and Computer Chips. There's over 30 recipes that need Silver in some form and it shares a resource node with Gold, and that resource node for some reason is made to look like the four other resource nodes:

gently caress Silver.

Edit: also for those of you wondering what's coming down the pipeline...

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 29, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

gently caress Silver.

Edit: also for those of you wondering what's coming down the pipeline...

Holy poo poo, gently caress having to search far and wide for Silver.

Better be able to scan the gently caress out of that wreck, or is that not a wrecked Cyclops?

edit: Sub name.

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Surprise, surprise. Was wondering when the devs would go 'gently caress the Cyclops'.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

LuiCypher posted:

Surprise, surprise. Was wondering when the devs would go 'gently caress the Cyclops'.

If it is destroyable I hope they're really conservative about it because simply put, making more than one just wouldn't be 'fun' whatsoever.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Fayk posted:

If it is destroyable I hope they're really conservative about it because simply put, making more than one just wouldn't be 'fun' whatsoever.

As long as they keep listening to the masochists who think that tedium = fun we're probably all screwed.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Coffeehitler posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress having to search far and wide for Silver.

Better be able to scan the gently caress out of that wreck, or is that not a wrecked Cyclops?

edit: Sub name.

Clear your cache, it's not cheating because you still have to hunt it down. :colbert:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
An actual question: Am I using the outdoor planters wrong if I'm using them for Acid or Deep Mushrooms since they're a 1:1 input:output? Having them near/at a base is much better than having to go to Deep Mushroom spawns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

An actual question: Am I using the outdoor planters wrong if I'm using them for Acid or Deep Mushrooms since they're a 1:1 input:output? Having them near/at a base is much better than having to go to Deep Mushroom spawns.

To get seeds out of mushrooms you have to hit them with your knife.

Be aware however that there is a reason they are called acid mushrooms. And also that they are not necessarily immune to their own acid, I have had them chain react before.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
One of my favorite things to do in this game is have a massive garden :3:

Interestingly I've found that if you plant kelp right next to your base the inside of your base will also have a yellow glow.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
You mention clearing of ones cache, how does someone do that? (I assume you dont mean something dumb like internet cache)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
google says:

quote:

navigate to your world save directory Steam/Steamapps/common/Subnautica/SNAppData/SavedGames
inside your save slot folder Slot000(some number) delete the folders CellCache and CompiledOctreesCache

which I'm pretty sure is what I did. You keep your inventory, and any bases and vehicles, but it resets things like ore spawns, fragments and doors in wreckage. etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crimson Harvest posted:

As long as they keep listening to the masochists who think that tedium = fun we're probably all screwed.

I would be entirely unsurprised if some of the biggest efforts they put into the game, involved loving over your cyclops and reducing it's practical usage.

Current Cyclops is basically the embodiment of QoL and not being a useless generic survival hobo protag once you finally get it running. Of course there are people who want to hurt it and make you park it 300m away from your destination :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 29, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
ARTSY FARTSY

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/13/subnautica-flora-artwork/

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nice. One of the devs posted an extensive look at the Cyclops changes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDqRbTETS8 (upgrades are in experimental but enemy behavior doesn't seem to be) and the lead designer put up some internal feedback here (performance is unsurprisingly the largest complaint).

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
a) can that alarm be turned off
b) can we shoot stuff yet because running away being the only option is stupid

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

a) no
b) no

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehrunes posted:

Nice. One of the devs posted an extensive look at the Cyclops changes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDqRbTETS8 (upgrades are in experimental but enemy behavior doesn't seem to be) and the lead designer put up some internal feedback here (performance is unsurprisingly the largest complaint).

Oh good. I really hated having my extremely expensive investment be a genuine mobile safe haven I could explore from. That really sucked and I look forward to having to constantly rebuild Cyclops.

Christ, I wish they'd stop listening to those people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mehrunes posted:

These features would be really fun in a multiplayer submarine warfare game.

They're not fun in a single-player exploration/survival game.

Also, the Cyclops PA system should actually tell you where it's detected a fire since you can't both be in the cockpit looking at the map and putting fires out, and fires spread. :downs:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 7, 2017

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Mehrunes posted:

I've thought of a way to satisfy both the hardcore gamers and still make the crazy expensive investment of the Cyclops not be lost in the event of its death.

Instead of having the sub become destroyed completely by it's implosion, why not have it sink and need repairs? Make the repairs not cost quite as much as a new cyclops, but still expensive.

I personally like the idea of not having an invulnerable cyclops, but the cost is very high considering a few small sharks can kill it so easily.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Night10194 posted:

Oh good. I really hated having my extremely expensive investment be a genuine mobile safe haven I could explore from. That really sucked and I look forward to having to constantly rebuild Cyclops.

Can this game be modded?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

oxyrosis posted:

I've thought of a way to satisfy both the hardcore gamers and still make the crazy expensive investment of the Cyclops not be lost in the event of its death.

Instead of having the sub become destroyed completely by it's implosion, why not have it sink and need repairs? Make the repairs not cost quite as much as a new cyclops, but still expensive.

I personally like the idea of not having an invulnerable cyclops, but the cost is very high considering a few small sharks can kill it so easily.

Tell them that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

oxyrosis posted:

Yeah I think my only gripe with it is that Bone Sharks should not be that aggressive towards something so much bigger than them (unless you get too close to their nest or something). The only creatures that should be that aggressive against a cyclops are creatures of similar size: Reaper, Sea dragon and maybe the Amp Eel and crabsnake.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Christ, I wish they'd stop listening to those people.

Uh, listening to who?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehrunes posted:

Uh, listening to who?

The forums posters on Subnautica's official forums who keep demanding stupid poo poo like 'crafting should take 5 minutes' or 'Small predators should be able to destroy the Cyclops.'

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

The forums posters on Subnautica's official forums who keep demanding stupid poo poo like 'crafting should take 5 minutes' or 'Small predators should be able to destroy the Cyclops.'

I looked at the suggestions board someone just posted and the only thread I saw about that was "I don't want the Cyclops to be attacked when I'm not in it."

Edit: also there are no crafting timers in the game or any apparent plans to add any.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 7, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Fish just attack and you get to do nothing and like it? if you go to put out fires they just keep attacking? How is this possibly fun in the slightest? I honestly can't even think of a way to make it fun, just tedious.

Can't wait to drive through a bunch of sharks screaming "oh, just piss off" as they bounce against me while I flank speed to get to where I'm going faster

I do really like that environmental ping though!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mehrunes posted:

Edit: also there are no crafting timers in the game or any apparent plans to add any.

You're welcome.

(I'm the one who lead the fight to get them removed after they were added. Many of the people on their forums do not like me very much anymore, they were very very committed to crafting timers being a good thing.)

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Survival Spergs are dangerous to any in-development game. Wouldn't want to ruin their immersion by having to drink less than a gallon of water every ten minutes and eating 12+ meals a day.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And I'm frustrated as hell by the inability to hide that ship namer and color thing, it's bright and annoying when the lights are off why won't you just cloooooseeeeeee

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I don't really see the point to building a Cyclops after these changes other than doing it just so you can say you did. Going back and forth between places in the Seamoth seems like much less of a hassle and more fun.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

BattleHamster posted:

I don't really see the point to building a Cyclops after these changes other than doing it just so you can say you did. Going back and forth between places in the Seamoth seems like much less of a hassle and more fun.

That's a hell of a lot of time spent in the PRAWN for plot stuff since everything but the Quarantine Enforcement Facility or whatever its called is deeper than the 'Moth can consistently and safely dive to.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
There are some people who defend the silver drop rate.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lareine posted:

There are some people who defend the silver drop rate.

And those people are worse than Hitler.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

name + post combo

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

You're welcome.

(I'm the one who lead the fight to get them removed after they were added. Many of the people on their forums do not like me very much anymore, they were very very committed to crafting timers being a good thing.)

Thank you! I didn't see anything bad looking at first couple pages of the suggestions forum so maybe those people aren't around any more (fingers crossed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coffeehitler posted:

Normally I would scoff, but I guess you're in a position to know if anyone is!