Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wyoak posted:

I'm taking the OSCP exam tomorrow :ohdear:
Godspeed. Let us know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

siggy2021 posted:

I've got the ICND1 scheduled for next week. I'm probably way over-prepared, I wanted to take it a few weeks ago but some major work projects got in the way.

I'm going to continue to lab a bunch of stuff in packet tracer to make sure I'm super familiar with it. Does anyone have any good flash card resources for some of the little bits of memorization you need like default administrative distances for each protocol and whatnot?

Yes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

siggy2021 posted:

I've got the ICND1 scheduled for next week. I'm probably way over-prepared, I wanted to take it a few weeks ago but some major work projects got in the way.

I'm going to continue to lab a bunch of stuff in packet tracer to make sure I'm super familiar with it. Does anyone have any good flash card resources for some of the little bits of memorization you need like default administrative distances for each protocol and whatnot?

How did it take you to get comfortable enough to take the exam from 0?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

siggy2021 posted:

I use Anki to make my own flashcards, and bought the app to use on my phone too.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

skooma512 posted:

How did it take you to get comfortable enough to take the exam from 0?

I was hitting 1 or 2% off of passing on practice tests after just going through Odom's book once. I kind of slacked off during some of the study, I probably could have passed it much quicker if I wanted to. I also picked up a cbt nuggets subscription and the videos really helped solidify a few things like NAT.

I also had a decent leg up, I was in a two year ccna vocational course about 13 years ago in high school, I just never applied myself back then. A lot had changed, but things that are the same, like subnetting, came back to me real quick and I barely had to study it. I was also pretty familiar with CLI and basic networking concepts in general, so it would unfair to say I started at 0.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BrainMeats posted:

Sounds good I'll grab the next book and get to studying. I used the Mike Meyers All-In-One exam guides for A+ and Network+. Seemed to do a good job separating out how things work in the real world and how things work on a CompTIA cert exam. Though for Security+ there is a Mike Meyers text and a All-In-One text and they are not the same.

This was mentioned in the network text and I believe I literally laughed out loud.

The OP recommends Darril Gibson and I couldn't agree more.
I'm currently on a deployment in a field that DoD requires Sec+. The cert has been a constant thorn in leadership's side for the past year with only three people getting certified since last August. They finally agreed to let me take four guys out of work for a week to study, using nothing but the book, http://www.professormesser.com/sy0-401-course-notes/ and six hours a day for five days, and we now have four more people certified. In no way am I certified to teach; I took the test back in 2013 and haven't looked at the material since.

siggy2021 posted:

I thought ICND1 was more trivial memorization than a CompTIA test. Most of the questions that were related to commands were less "configure a device" and more "do you remember the proper syntax". Be familiar with the different outputs of show commands and definitely memorize your administration distances (and the letters that represent them). Unlike a CompTIA exam, you can not mark a question for review and go back to it later. Professormessor uploaded a 61 page course notes for ICND1 a few days ago for $20 on his website. I haven't purchased it yet but the few pages that it does allow you to preview seem spot on.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ICND1 is a test of "do you know how to subnet and also probably some other stuff in the course objectives, maybe"

So more than anything else make sure your subnetting is strong.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wyoak posted:

This is next on my list. Fingers crossed you do well.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

wyoak posted:

Aww yiss son. GLHF

That test was so stressful and also so fun.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Renegret posted:

ICND1 is a test of "do you know how to subnet and also probably some other stuff in the course objectives, maybe"

So more than anything else make sure your subnetting is strong.

Crazy thing on subnetting is that they teach it all wrong, its just thrown at you. But when it clicks it clicks. I wish it was explained a bit differently. When you see subnet we know what it means, to a new person, it really isnt explained in a way that its just separate slices of a network. Where you have so much space to work with based on multiples of such binary numbers that never ever changes.

Found it interesting that /31 is valid to use in P2P links, when I first learned of subnetting a /31 was a no no!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Crazy thing on subnetting is that they teach it all wrong, its just thrown at you. But when it clicks it clicks. I wish it was explained a bit differently. When you see subnet we know what it means, to a new person, it really isnt explained in a way that its just separate slices of a network. Where you have so much space to work with based on multiples of such binary numbers that never ever changes.

Found it interesting that /31 is valid to use in P2P links, when I first learned of subnetting a /31 was a no no!

I think subnetting explanations are really confusing when they try to work around representing addresses in binary. Even when they don't, most of them have a habit of making things seem more conceptually difficult than they actually are (doing it quickly in your head is another story, of course). I don't know... I've never tried to write a primer. It's probably harder to explain than it seems.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The problem with learning subnets is that the underlying concepts to understand why it works is difficult, but once you crack that the practical use of subnets is easy. It doesn't seem like it should be hard to learn in retrospect but I hope everybody remembers the first time they tried to understand a 10.250.250.248/29 and being appropriately confused.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BrainMeats posted:

I just passed the Network+ this morning and it just seemed like an endless string of acronyms.
Goddammit, I was afraid of this. Been studying for it for a few months (just one night a week, while working full time). I've got the deluxe Sybex book and have been doing the practice tests there, a TestOut course that I've been using to run through stuff I've been weak on (like routing and VPN protocols), and Keith Barker's videos on CBTNuggets; what did you find most helpful?

BrainMeats posted:

Got my A+ last month so now I should be fully qualified to be a basic entry level computer repair or help desk drone right? Even though my degree is in biology. Even though I'm over 30.

In the meantime should I just keep collecting certs? Since I don't have a career at the moment my career path isn't very clear, just continue on to Security+? At some point I'm not going to be able to pass these on book learnin alone.
YMMV, but I'm 35 and only recently started getting into IT in a serious way; I was in a few hybrid positions before my current one (sole IT/file clerk at a law firm, one of two IT/admin at a non-profit [without a title], etc.), but got brought on as a desktop support guy at a relatively small financial institution (200 people, 8-person IT team) with just the A+. A lot of it is luck, unfortunately, but I would say it's probably worth it to start throwing resumes out there, keeping in mind that most "requirements" for a job are loving pie-in-the-sky wishlists looking for fairy godmothers.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

Goddammit, I was afraid of this. Been studying for it for a few months (just one night a week, while working full time). I've got the deluxe Sybex book and have been doing the practice tests there, a TestOut course that I've been using to run through stuff I've been weak on (like routing and VPN protocols), and Keith Barker's videos on CBTNuggets; what did you find most helpful?

I bought a textbook and scheduled the exam for 3 weeks later. Basically just sat down and read through it, playing along with some programs and console commands in between chapters. The time limit helped me, but doesn't look to be your style. If you're acing the practice tests and also understanding why you're getting the right answers you should be set.
Definitely know your 802.11, from a to ac. Speed, frequency and compatibility at least. Be able to compare a T1 to an OC3. Speeds and max ranges for different cables and the connectors they use. Know your most common well-known ports. It's mostly troubleshooting and setup scenarios where you have to pick the best solution. When your four possible answers are all acronyms it's pretty important to at least know what they stand for. And don't forget about mantraps.

I spent a lot of time figuring out how to calculate subnets. Hosts, address limits all that jazz. I felt so proud of myself once I finally cracked the code. It may have indirectly helped on one question.

I'm not despairing just yet about finding work. Just starting to get my name out there.

Hot Damn!
Oct 28, 2004
When I took the Network+ I had like 5 questions about business documents and more than one about fire extinguishers. Strange stuff.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

This is next on my list. Fingers crossed you do well.

Doug posted:

Aww yiss son. GLHF

That test was so stressful and also so fun.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Godspeed. Let us know.
:toot: I got the required points, so as long as I didn't mess up the report I just sent in, I should get it!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wyoak posted:

:toot: I got the required points, so as long as I didn't mess up the report I just sent in, I should get it!
Badass. Congrats!

I'm current working through Cybrary's prep guide for OSCP prior to registering, which is based around the Georgia Weidman book. Do you think this is a good baseline for skillsets heading into the book and lab work? Anything else you would add?

https://www.cybrary.it/0p3n/prep-guide-offsecs-pwkoscp/

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I want to get a entry-level certification, but I'm not sure which one is "the best".

CompTIA A+/Network seems pretty much unused over here (Netherlands).
CCNA seems a bit too much out of my league.
LPIC seems fun, but I don't think I have enough Linux experience.
MTA/MCSA seems the most logical for me, but especially the MTA study material is pretty much non-existant. Should I just start with MCSA and pick a subject from there (thinking about doing desktop or cloud)?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Skip A+ always unless it's required by a current employer or school program.

N+ is the most basic entry level cert and can help find your first job, even if it's not listed on the job posting.

Alternatively, CCENT is the better place to start if you eventually want your ccna and holds the same credibility that the N+ has.

LPIC is harder than you think and most certainly isn't 'fun'. It was harder for me than the CCNA exam.

I don't have any Microsoft certs so can't help you there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grawl posted:

Don't sell yourself short. I told myself this for years and oh how wrong I was. If I only got off my rear end a year earlier I wouldn't be sick in this hole I'm in now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CCENT is pretty basic, I'd say if you're anxious about your CCNA then start with CCENT and move onto CCNA once you feel comfortable. The upside is that if you start with CCENT you can always just decide that you're on pace to study for the full test if you're seeing great strides.

Much as I dislike vendor specific certs now I think CCNA is probably the way to go if you're looking at a network position.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Renegret posted:

Don't sell yourself short. I told myself this for years and oh how wrong I was. If I only got off my rear end a year earlier I wouldn't be sick in this hole I'm in now.

No joke. I started studying for the A+ and decided it would be worthless to take. Moved onto the CCNA, a few months later passed it and got a better job. Two years later I'm making more than double the pay before I got any certs.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Certs are the lucrative way to hack through the early stages of your career and rocket up to a position worth keeping. It hardly even matters which ones you get but certainly will help get you a position you're interested in if you specialize those certs in one area.

For resume purposes I find each cert is worth about a year of experience, with diminishing returns around 4 or 5 or after 5 years real experience. I have 6 certs and landed a position that required a bachelors degree and 5 years experience, of which I had neither.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Diva Cupcake posted:

Badass. Congrats!

I'm current working through Cybrary's prep guide for OSCP prior to registering, which is based around the Georgia Weidman book. Do you think this is a good baseline for skillsets heading into the book and lab work? Anything else you would add?

https://www.cybrary.it/0p3n/prep-guide-offsecs-pwkoscp/
Weidman's book was definitely a good resource to have ahead of time, and that prep guide outline looks solid. However, I'd say if you've got the budget for the 60 or 90 days of lab time (and you're comfortable scripting and with the concepts, if not the minutiae, of what you've seen in the guide) don't be afraid to jump in to the course - having the labs as a sandbox is the most valuable thing and you'll learn pretty quick once you get into them, and it looks like that guide would play along nicely side-by-side with the course material as well. If you can only do 30 days of lab time you might want to spend more time prepping, but I'd just spring for the extra lab time instead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The CCNA is not that difficult or advanced, so don't psych yourself out for it before you even crack a book and make it seem harder than it is. It's the differential calculus of the IT cert world.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Grawl posted:

I want to get a entry-level certification, but I'm not sure which one is "the best".

MTA/MCSA seems the most logical for me, but especially the MTA study material is pretty much non-existant. Should I just start with MCSA and pick a subject from there (thinking about doing desktop or cloud)?

CompTIA certs are indeed pretty useless over here. I can't recall seeing any job listings asking for it ever.

CCNA is an entry level exam, you can do that and it'll open you up for basic network jobs.

You could take LPIC or RHCSA and practise on virtualbox. If you'd rather go the Microsoft route start with MCSA.

The options are there, just pick something that you think will be the most fun in the long run.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

The MCSA is not entry-level. If you're starting out with an MCSA and no experience, it's gonna be a tough sell.

That said, you learn a LOT by studying for the MCSA. If you can parlay that into an interview it'll pay off in spades.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I passed my CISSP exam today! Definitely a huge relief. I took just under 2 hours to complete it and spent 30 minutes agonizing over my answers before giving up and submitting them.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Solaron posted:

I passed my CISSP exam today! Definitely a huge relief. I took just under 2 hours to complete it and spent 30 minutes agonizing over my answers before giving up and submitting them.
Awesome job! Get your endorsement in asap as it looks like it takes 4-6 weeks to be processed.

Sub 2 hours is a pretty sick pace. I think it did 4.5 hours including a snack break.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Do you guys take a break between exams, or do you pass one and immediately start studying for the next? I feel kinda guilty it has been a month or two since I got my last cert and I'm not actively prepping for the next one yet.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
As far as the CISSP experience requirements goes, it looks like I need 4 years (my 4-year degree waives 1 year) in 2 of the domains. My career has been somewhat varied - I worked Service Desk / Tech Support for 7 years, Network Admin for 2.5 years, ITIL Change/Incident Manager for 3 years. Since it says 'direct full-time security work', how does that work? I should be able to have enough total time from the different security-domain related tasks in those different fields to make the 4 years, but I want to make sure that's how it works.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Do you guys take a break between exams, or do you pass one and immediately start studying for the next? I feel kinda guilty it has been a month or two since I got my last cert and I'm not actively prepping for the next one yet.
My productivity ebbs and flows so I tend to take advantage when I'm feeling a bit more studious and motivated. I did CEH and CISSP back-to-back but essentially I was just studying for CISSP. The first exam was just a tune-up.

I'd probably like to relax for a bit before starting OSCP but I know I'll be looking to move companies in the next 6 months and I want to load up on HR ammunition while I can.

Solaron posted:

As far as the CISSP experience requirements goes, it looks like I need 4 years (my 4-year degree waives 1 year) in 2 of the domains. My career has been somewhat varied - I worked Service Desk / Tech Support for 7 years, Network Admin for 2.5 years, ITIL Change/Incident Manager for 3 years. Since it says 'direct full-time security work', how does that work? I should be able to have enough total time from the different security-domain related tasks in those different fields to make the 4 years, but I want to make sure that's how it works.
In the endorsement application, you detail your job history going back however many jobs that will cover the 4 or 5 years necessary experience. I listed them out highlighting security functions of each, CV-style, while a separate feature allows you to select which of the 8 domains you applied on a day-to-basis at that particular job. You shouldn't have much issue with using Identity and Access Management, Security Operations, maybe Communications and Network Security, etc.

Submit, hopefully your endorser agrees, and then it gets sent off to ISC2 for approval.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

My productivity ebbs and flows so I tend to take advantage when I'm feeling a bit more studious and motivated. I did CEH and CISSP back-to-back but essentially I was just studying for CISSP. The first exam was just a tune-up.

I'd probably like to relax for a bit before starting OSCP but I know I'll be looking to move companies in the next 6 months and I want to load up on HR ammunition while I can.

In the endorsement application, you detail your job history going back however many jobs that will cover the 4 or 5 years necessary experience. I listed them out highlighting security functions of each, CV-style, while a separate feature allows you to select which of the 8 domains you applied on a day-to-basis at that particular job. You shouldn't have much issue with using Identity and Access Management, Security Operations, maybe Communications and Network Security, etc.

Submit, hopefully your endorser agrees, and then it gets sent off to ISC2 for approval.

Great - thank you! My endorser just responded that he thinks the experience should be more than fine so I think I'll be good. I think my sleep-deprived mind is just looking for reasons why this won't go through somehow.

I've been thinking about CEH - I'd love to do OSCP one day but I want a lot more experience with Kali before I do that - I've only recently begun to mess with it seriously. But CEH seems to tie in with CISSP in a lot of ways so I think that might not be too hard for me to study for and get.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Boss man says next up is VMware. I need vcp6-dcv but first I have to do the foundations exam.

Any insight on the Foundation exam? I've passed the MCSA 70-410 so I'm familiar with virtualization and I've been working with vsphere 5.5 for the past 3 months.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Keith Stone posted:

Boss man says next up is VMware. I need vcp6-dcv but first I have to do the foundations exam.

Any insight on the Foundation exam? I've passed the MCSA 70-410 so I'm familiar with virtualization and I've been working with vsphere 5.5 for the past 3 months.

I'm going to be in your camp soon. I have my VCP5 and let it lapse before taking the delta exam, which was stupid, because now I have to do the Install/Configure/Manage class for vSphere 6. Unless someone here knows of a cheaper way of taking the What's New class.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Solaron posted:

Great - thank you! My endorser just responded that he thinks the experience should be more than fine so I think I'll be good. I think my sleep-deprived mind is just looking for reasons why this won't go through somehow.

I've been thinking about CEH - I'd love to do OSCP one day but I want a lot more experience with Kali before I do that - I've only recently begun to mess with it seriously. But CEH seems to tie in with CISSP in a lot of ways so I think that might not be too hard for me to study for and get.

I knew that endorsement would take four to six weeks, everyone told me it would take four to six weeks, but as soon as I hit four weeks and one day I started panicking that I was getting audited. CISSP messes with your mind.

Be prepared :twisted:

Kashuno posted:

I decided I was getting too burned out studying after CISSP.

... so I took up learning Japanese instead :suicide:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MJP posted:

I'm going to be in your camp soon. I have my VCP5 and let it lapse before taking the delta exam, which was stupid, because now I have to do the Install/Configure/Manage class for vSphere 6. Unless someone here knows of a cheaper way of taking the What's New class.

If you're feeling really industrious you can avoid taking any classes to get your VCP-DCV. Get your CCNA data center or r&s, use that to satisfy the prerequisite for VCP-NV, and once you have that it satisfies the prerequisites for any other VCP exam.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Would getting a MTA be useful before going for MCSA?

I got a job for a Jr. systems admin which required "basic knowledge of Windows server" which I do have but most of my experience comes from being an IT technician and dealing with hardware. Now after I've started they told me I'm supposed to pass 2 MCSE (Exchange, Skype for Bussiness) exams in like 4 months, which seems quite a bit unrealistic to me.

I don't have any previous certifications, should I go MTA->MCSA or just MCSA and then attempt MCSE?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I got to take an MTA exam for free, and that's a great reason to take one.

For MCSA, if you pass even one exam, you're a Microsoft Certified Professional: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/microsoft-certified-professional.aspx
That's a neat bullet for a Resume if you're trying to break into the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

My employer is offering to pay for certs. I don't have any yet and it hasn't really been a problem at all but I figure I may as well get some for free.

I am currently an IT Director for a medium sized business. I have 15 years of experience as sysadmin/network admin, db admin and consulting. Ideally the certs I get would be actually useful day to day and would translate to career progression long run.

I think I could probably pass many certs without studying (couldn't hurt to review as work will pay for courses) but I don't really see any value in getting the entry level certs.

What should I start with? I am leaning towards MS certs initially then networking then security.