Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

I've been spending more and more time over on webtoons, I've grown to really love many of the series they have there.

Tower of God and The Gamer being the best, but after that i've been reading and enjoying Catharsis, Dice, Unordinary, Guardians of the Video Game, Kubera, and most recently Soul Cartel and SID.

I know a lot of people dislike the webtoons format (One long scroll page) but I find it perfectly fine. If naver had a booth in my local comic convention (Salt Lake Comic Con) I'd go visit and buy stuff.

SID is probably my favorite one right now after Noblesse, I really love the supernatural police procedural thing. Catharsis is a little hit and miss for me but works better when I leave it and catch up on several chapters at a time.

If anybody reads the romance ones, Untouchable is done other than some extras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
god of high school is completely insane its really good. kubera i like but its so loving slow i need a huge amount available before i read it otherwise it feels like nothing happens

i'd recommend magician which is just about to catch up to where the scans were before webtoons had an english site

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

god of high school is completely insane its really good. kubera i like but its so loving slow i need a huge amount available before i read it otherwise it feels like nothing happens

i'd recommend magician which is just about to catch up to where the scans were before webtoons had an english site

If you haven't read Kubera in the past few months now is a good time, fyi

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

I got caught up on SID so now I'm starting on God of High School. It's fun so far but I suspect the MC's carelessness will get annoying quickly, I hope I'm wrong though.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I got caught up on SID so now I'm starting on God of High School. It's fun so far but I suspect the MC's carelessness will get annoying quickly, I hope I'm wrong though.

I can guarantee you that God of High School will go in directions that surprise you. It starts off with a pretty typical premise, but hahahahaha.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
God of Highschool is crazy pants and I suspect the author may have had a mental breakdown at some point because wow, this manhwa.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

khy posted:

Yeah don't worry about that at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shugojin posted:

If you haven't read Kubera in the past few months now is a good time, fyi

is it finally giving some answers to stuff? I know the scans continued despite webtoons having it so i'm not sure if i'm ahead or not. guess i'll just skip back a while and catch up since i can't really remember anyway

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jose posted:

is it finally giving some answers to stuff? I know the scans continued despite webtoons having it so i'm not sure if i'm ahead or not. guess i'll just skip back a while and catch up since i can't really remember anyway

Webtoons is actually caught up with the scans now, because Kubera's been on hiatus for the last twelve months (since Season 2 ended). It's finally back on the 6th of April, so this is probably a good time to get caught up.

As to answers... I don't know where you're at, exactly, but the last arc in Season 2 was all about Asha and what her deal is. It doesn't answer everything, but you'll end up with a much better understanding of everything that's going on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll wait til kubera is complete because that pacing was bad enough even when the chapters were coming out several times a week.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Without spoiling anything, when can I expect GOHS to go off the rails?

I'm currently at Chapter 92, right after the MC loses to the kitsune guy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You're pretty close iirc

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay yeah, this got.... interesting.

I will give the author credit, it was in no way shape or form predictable and managed to completely catch me and (from what it sounds like) everyone else totally by surprise. That's somewhat rare in webcomics these days. Last time I saw a tone shift this big was "It Hurts!" 100.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

khy posted:

Okay yeah, this got.... interesting.

I will give the author credit, it was in no way shape or form predictable and managed to completely catch me and (from what it sounds like) everyone else totally by surprise. That's somewhat rare in webcomics these days. Last time I saw a tone shift this big was "It Hurts!" 100.

Ah yes, the start of the Journey to the West arc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So overall how good is Kubera? Is the story and setting interesting? Does it have good fight scenes (this isn't that important, I'm just curious)? The art seems kinda shaky, but I can tolerate that if the story is interesting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You know, I really like Lunark, and pretty much have from the get-go, even when she was more of a traditional Noblesse villain. I hope she doesn't die...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So overall how good is Kubera? Is the story and setting interesting? Does it have good fight scenes (this isn't that important, I'm just curious)? The art seems kinda shaky, but I can tolerate that if the story is interesting.

mostly it is that the characters and their motivations are interesting, but the actual story is so drawn out and slow that it defies description

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
aaaaahhh :neckbeard:
that panel with M21, he might just be a distraction but he looks good doing it

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Goddamn GoHS earth just can't catch a break

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Goddamn GoHS earth just can't catch a break

What an emotional roller coaster

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there actually another arc coming

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There has to be, since there's still one long-running antagonist around and two new ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I purposely haven't read GoHS in over a year (or maybe 2 years) because I want to be able to read a bunch in one stretch.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I purposely haven't read GoHS in over a year (or maybe 2 years) because I want to be able to read a bunch in one stretch.

Holy poo poo.

You're in for a ride.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up and am at 271 now. This comic owns pretty hard. I really like how they let the clone take the leading role int he big climactic fight during this arc. In general the whole subplot with Mori Hui has been pretty unique and un-cliche. I actually like him more than Jin, since he comes off as more down to Earth and doesn't have the whole "wacky monkey boy" thing going on. Not that I really dislike Jin or anything, but Hui is just a more interesting character. I'm also wondering if Daewi is actually perma-dead. It's been a while since he died and there haven't been any signs of him being revived.

One other good thing about GoHS is that it has a really distinct art style. Most Korean web comics have kinda shaky art or art that is pretty much just a clone of fairly generic manga-style art, but GoHS is done very well and also has some pretty well done fight scenes.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Mori Hui is tear-jerking to be honest. All the while the earth is being punched to death.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

just caught up with kubera and events were drawn out a ton but its still really good. im surprised at how well the author planned everything out. i guess part 3 should be starting soon so perfect time to catch up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, God of High School owns. I have absolutely no problem with this series continuing to escalate into ridiculous battles with literal Gods.

edit: Haha holy poo poo, Daewi gained the King's powers.

Hahahah, the artist comment at the end of 283 where he says "Jupiter is a gas giant you say? I'm a humanities major!"

No, Mori Hui :(. I had a feeling he was going to die, but it's still sad because he was a really good guy and interesting character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Just when I thought it was over, GoHS once again pulls the story in a completely new direction. I was actually loving livid after this latest chapter, but I love one of the comments: "I aim for this level of pettiness actually." It's so loving petty, and it's both great and makes me mad at the same time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

Just when I thought it was over, GoHS once again pulls the story in a completely new direction. I was actually loving livid after this latest chapter, but I love one of the comments: "I aim for this level of pettiness actually." It's so loving petty, and it's both great and makes me mad at the same time.

It's been foreshadowed, too. Multiple characters have commented on how Mujin isn't a very good person.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

This single image perfectly encapsulates M-21's existence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kubera is pretty interesting so far. I like that it has the same sort of "unique, non-stereotypical fantasy setting" as Tower of God, so that you end up wanting to learn more about the world/setting.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

No, Mori Hui :(. I had a feeling he was going to die, but it's still sad because he was a really good guy and interesting character.

This was incredible. I was so quick to dismiss that character because of who he was trying to replace, but he's honestly one of my favorite. I really like reading GoHS, it's so good.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nothing really happens in GoHS today. Just a normal, boring chapter.

I'm kind of unclear on how Mori apparently overpowered the grail. The framing of the explosion makes it seem like it's because of his grandpa's kick, but at the end it looks like that was actually Mori causing it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They committed one of the classic blunders. Only slightly less important than "never fight a land war in Asia" is "never gloat about having rendered the shounen protagonist powerless and then make him extremely angry."

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

GoHS is really weird now, every chapter looks like it will have THE END written at the bottom and then next week a new chapter happens.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coffee Mugshot posted:

This was incredible. I was so quick to dismiss that character because of who he was trying to replace, but he's honestly one of my favorite. I really like reading GoHS, it's so good.

In general GoHS does a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally expect from a shounen story. Sometimes it doesn't work so well, but a lot of times it pays off. Something like "cloning the main character and having his clone who has a different personality take his place for like 200 chapters" isn't really something that most shounen series would be willing to do.

Speaking of the clones, from what I understand they don't have any sort of independent consciousness unless they're separated from Mori Jin by a long distance, right? Or at least I hope that's the case, because you'd think that the whole Mori Hui situation would make Jin rethink using his clones otherwise.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, their personality is suppressed when they're close. Mori Hui was able to get his own personality because he was so far away for so long.

Also he was cool and good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really wish he had been able to stay around somehow, though I guess it was pretty much impossible since he would effectively "die" once Mori Jin returned. He should have just survived and moved to the US so he'd be far enough away from Mori Jin to retain his individuality.

As much as I like Mori Jin, he's still more or less a standard shounen-type protagonist, which is why Hui was so interesting.

edit: By the way, why did the King called Hui Imoogi? I can't remember where that nickname came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If I remember correctly, in Korean mythology if a fish manages to swim up a waterfall they become a dragon, an Imoogi. It represents Mori Hui's evolution into a free thinking, free willed entity and also the immense struggle of trying to get out from under the weight of his original's shadow.